Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100km Castlecomer (KK) Sunday 17/10/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

The weather looks good for the week. Let's hope it lasts. Just got to shake off the flu now (it's never a cold, right).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Anyone fancy cycling out to this from the city? Meet at the Glendine Inn an hour and a half before the start?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

If the weather is good I probably will. I'll let you know the day before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

you know i recently tried echiniciae drops to help with colds, as we will get a few colds being out sweating on bikes over the autumn and winter and it realy works.

you knw after sweating for hours and u feel urself getting a cold, i take the drops in tea or coca cola and u can feel the cold dissapating .

So I am adding echiniciae to my kit bag at this stage

Good tip. Thanks. My biggest problem is a potential torn meniscus from football injury 2 weeks ago. Had an MRI on Thursday. Fingers crossed. Managed to swim and do 60k on the bike ok last week though. Can't run or twist or even kneel down mind you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 thegilpen

Not going through the buts,Carlow Arles StradballyAbbeyleix Ballyragget

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

So, the sign on/start is in Discovery Park...?

Anyone know roughly where that is...? I'll be coming from Naas.. don't know Castlecomer that well...

Cheers...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fender76 wrote: »

Anyone know roughly where that is...? I'll be coming from Naas.. don't know Castlecomer that well...

Cheers...

Here you go
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=castlecomer+discovery+park&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=50.777825,79.013672&ie=UTF8&cd=1&hq=castlecomer+discovery+park&hnear=&radius=15000&ll=52.806419,-7.200508&spn=0.009223,0.01929&z=16

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Thanks mate... looking forward to it...

By the way, I'll be wearing a blue jacket and helmet riding a Felt if anyone wants to say hi.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

What's the best way there from Dublin.
    Google maps doesn't have the full M9 and directs me through Athy to the N78.
    Or is it a better route to go M9 to Leighlinbridge and go cross country ?

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Fender76 wrote: »

Cheers...

What's there to know? It's got two streets. :pac:

Personally I'd come through Athy getting off the Motorway at Kilcullen. Don't forget them that wants to cycle out from the city, leaving the Glendine Inn at 8h00.

I won't make the Glendine Inn start off. Got good (ish) news on the knee. No more football unless I want a full knee replacement in a few years but cycling is in, and at my age it's a chance to retire gracefully (ish). Physio reckons 100k might be too much this Sunday but I'll see how it goes. My wife might kill me though seeing as she's been listening to me moaning for 3 weeks about my poor knee.

ashleey wrote: »
    I won't make the Glendine Inn start off. Got good (ish) news on the knee. No more football unless I want a full knee replacement in a few years but cycling is in, and at my age it's a chance to retire gracefully (ish). Physio reckons 100k might be too much this Sunday but I'll see how it goes. My wife might kill me though seeing as she's been listening to me moaning for 3 weeks about my poor knee.

Sorry about your retirement from football :( Guess I won't be seeing you anymore then during the weeks. There's always the 50km option or you could be like me and take shelter, I haven't been on the bike since the 12th of September.

At age 40+, I probably fit the profile of a MAMIL rather than trying to chase after people on football pitches who are half my age though.

I'll work on persuading the wife for a pass for Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 8 thegilpen

Its shorter to go through Athy 20mins to Castlecomer Discovery park on right hand side

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I know sign on for this is from 8.30am, but what time are ye hoping the 100km heads off at lads?

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I know sign on for this is from 8.30am, but what time are ye hoping the 100km heads off at lads?

There'll be no hoping, it's 9h30 on the button.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭g0g

Kinda maybe thinking about trying to do this tomorrow. For anyone travelling to it does the start point have a decent amount of parking? Are you expecting big numbers? Anyone any idea on a forecast yet?

weather forecast is fine for tomorrow. just wrap up warmish....no rain forecast

g0g wrote: »
    Kinda maybe thinking about trying to do this tomorrow. For anyone travelling to it does the start point have a decent amount of parking? Are you expecting big numbers? Anyone any idea on a forecast yet?

Loads of parking in the town, which is a one minute cycle from the start (just over the bridge).

• Advertisement

Cloudy and mostly dry tomorrow morning, with just some patchy drizzle. Brightening up with a few sunny spells, however there will be some showery rain in places also, mainly across parts of the west and northwest. Elsewhere escaping largely dry till dark though. Highest temperatures 12 to 15 degrees, with just light to moderate southwesterly breezes.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

from accuweather

sun17thOct.jpg?t=1287254262

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

I'm going to do the 50 with my young lad tomorrow....
    Boards gear new & classic.. Say hello

Am I on my own cycling out?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Not lookin good Captain but don't worry we'll give you a group hug when you get to 'comer

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Myself (2009 Focus Cayo) + My brother (Brand new Felt AR5) will be doing our first 100K tomorrow. Hopefully we will be able to tag along with a kinda medium speed group.

I'll be having a big breakfast of Pasta, with a couple of chopped bananas, and 5 or 6 energy gels for the sauce ;)

Wish me luck !!

Myself (2009 Focus Cayo) + My brother (Brand new Felt AR5) will be doing our first 100K tomorrow. Hopefully we will be able to tag along with a kinda medium speed group.

I'll be having a big breakfast of Pasta, with a couple of chopped bananas, and 5 or 6 energy gels for the sauce ;)

Wish me luck !!

I'd say everyone will be together, just leave the lead lads to it. You'll recognise me, I'm the one with Captain Havoc written on my boards jersey and on the bike :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Thanks Capt'n

I apologise in advance for drafting the faster guys all the way around :D Although my brother is one of those skinny triathalon types so I'll be stuck to him like glue.

What bike Capt'n?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dave04

Am I on my own cycling out?
    Hi, I will have to cycle out as wife has the car ! will be leaving home at 8 going down the new bypass onto comer road , for a steady 19k. May see you ?

• Advertisement

dave04 wrote: »
    Hi, I will have to cycle out as wife has the car ! will be leaving home at 8 going down the new bypass onto comer road , for a steady 19k. May see you ?

Meet you at the roundabout at about 8h05?

Advertisement