Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Boards Meetup!

Options
  • 17-09-2010 12:13am
    Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

"I cordially invited you >insert username here< to the first UCC boards meetup of the 2010/2011 academic year"

Basically last year, there were a couple of coffee mornings organised by a few members on this forum, well calling them coffee mornings was a bit of a stretch, since very few, if any of us actually bought coffee, which is why I've named the thread as the boards meetup!

So it is a chance for the posters on this forum to meet up in person and put a face to the username so to speak! It would be great if more people turn up this year and hope that all the users from last year, including our graduate electro, would turn up as well. We would meet up at a designated spot, last year it was outside the notice board in the student centre, and we ended up heading off to the coffee dock where it was a bit quieter! I know it seems a bit daunting the first time, but any of the guys and girls that I've met from it were lovely, and it is novel meeting people that you only know by a username. If anyone is nervous about going, I'd meet up with them earlier or give you my mobile via PM

I know people don't have their full timetables yet, but I was wondering how many of the posters here would be interested in doing this again this year/starting it this year. When we all have our timetable, we can sort out times and days!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Wouldn't mind popping along. Never been to a boards meet up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 O.P.

3rd post in the UCC forum.... might be a little weird.... for me/you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

As usual ill be along...but i wont be skipping any classes this year to make it to them( have to buckle down for 3rd year :P ) But if im free i will certainly attend. And O.P doesnt really matter if its your 1st or 1000th post its just as awkward for everyone their first time around.

And to be honest i still feel nervous around reacher creature at the meet-ups :P Im jokin i swear..... :)

Na I love awkward situations, if fact is there anything I can do to make it more awkward? Maybe I could dress up...

O.P. wrote: »
    Na I love awkward situations, if fact is there anything I can do to make it more awkward? Maybe I could dress up...

Well you could follow suit on one user here Nova_era and what he did last year.

Somehow managed to go into the student center and pick out a group who he though was us. He then proceeded to go to this group...sit down with them and chat away for over an hour with nothing seeming strange at all. Came on here afterwards telling us how nice we were etc etc to then be told that he hadnt been with any of us and had actually sat down and chatted to randomers for over an hour. Brilliant if you ask me :P

• Advertisement

Ha! I'll keep it cool and mysterious. I'm only doing two modules this year so I'm about a good bit for da chat.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Somehow managed to go into the student center and pick out a group who he though was us. He then proceeded to go to this group...sit down with them and chat away for over an hour with nothing seeming strange at all. Came on here afterwards telling us how nice we were etc etc to then be told that he hadnt been with any of us and had actually sat down and chatted to randomers for over an hour. Brilliant if you ask me :P

I remember that, absolutely hilarious! Starts here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Or you could do what I did to KnifeWrench: go up to him out of the blue (recognising him from photos; him not knowing you at all) and then, forgetting for the moment that you're in the real world and not boards.ie, introduce yourself as your boards username just before you realise that he's actually in the middle of talking to someone and that he can't actually hear you, then you eventually become noticed because you're staring at him from a very close distant, you blush, apologise and then finally stage a hasty retreat into the Kane basement bathrooms.

It was at that point that I realised that meeting boards people in real life simply wasn't for me.

The Nova_era incident was probably the funniest thing I've ever seen on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I must make the effort this year to turn up to one of these. If the first one is next week, I should have no problem, finished at 1 everyday :).

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

If i'm free I'd definitely be up for a meetup. Can we have signs though? :D I'd hate to do a Nova_era on it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

Count me in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

Sounds good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Crosswalk

Should be able to get to this once it's not clashing with any lectures! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

That was hilarious, i'm sure Nova will agree :D

I'm up for it - as in, i will actually go to this boards meetup, not say that i'll go and then change my mind, like some members on here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

I'm in if i'm free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I'm in as per usual. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

deisedude wrote: »
    I'm in if i'm free
    Are you back from your Ohio adventure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Might try to make one of these this year!
    So il try and be there if free.

grenache wrote: »
    Are you back from your Ohio adventure?

Indeed i am. Good to be able to get a decent pint again:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Anyone care to suggest a day and time? I would but I'm pretty sure all times suit me, I'll probably be bumming around campus scoring some free stuff anyway. Getting ID'd the rest of the year is worth it, oooh the free pens I'm going to get from those fools! I'll never need pens again I tell you :D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I was thinking of maybe Wednesday at 1 this week, change the time and day next time so that we can all attend a couple, to suit everybody interested!

Wednesday at one sounds decent for me although I'm still not used to this new timetable. 1 is always a good enough time.

I think that works for me too

We'll finally get to meet deisedude! :D

We'll finally get to meet deisedude! :D

Don't get too excited, i hear most people are let down when they meet their heroes;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

I think I'll pass on this one and wait till I become more acquainted by posters around here.

(that is to say, until I become either more loved or reviled) :D

I think I'll pass on this one and wait till I become more acquainted by posters around here.

(that is to say, until I become either more loved or reviled) :D

But you're from kerry....you aint allowed come anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭brian1991

I was thinking of maybe Wednesday at 1 this week, change the time and day next time so that we can all attend a couple, to suit everybody interested!

Cool. Where will we all meet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

I've got a lecture at that time. Boo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement