Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wannabe Freemason is now a CT mod.

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

smashey wrote: »
    What rules were broken?

Are you serious? Surely it is the time for common sense and not pedantry?

You want me to quote from the Admin handbook:

• All users are equal but some are more equal than others.
    • Thou shall not commit abuses of power by accessing users accounts and altering them to take the piss, further escalating an already volatile situation.
    Of course there is no need to actually publish such a rule because it goes with saying,

Any number of rules or guidelines have been breached in this thread, this one in particular
    • defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others

This is also pertinent from the FAQ's
    Suggesting to someone that has a serious problem that <insert alternative therapy here> might cure it is very irresponsible. Don't diagnose anyone on the site either. You simply can’t and we don’t want you doing it. Don't do it.

Its not that any particular rule has or hasn't been broken, the real issue for me is that demonstrated that the laws don't appy to them, someone essentialy hacked into demonspawns account and modified the details of his account. Which is perfectly fine, your site you can do what you want but it is then misleading to proclaim yourselves as a community when in reality it works like some kind of monarchy where the serfs do as they are told and the royalty have no accountability.

This could've easily been resolved. Whoever done it holds there hand up say they shouldn't have and then we could all move on. **** happens in the heat of the moment, no big deal. However, what we have had is apparent initial denials followed a closing of ranks.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes, we should not pour gas on fires, regardless how idiotic those fires are. I think its time this thread wound down so I'm putting a 24 hour warning on it now, unless someone has anything useful to bring to the discussion.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

DeVore wrote: »
    Yes, we should not pour gas on fires, regardless how idiotic those fires are. I think its time this thread wound down so I'm putting a 24 hour warning on it now, unless someone has anything useful to bring to the discussion.

Perhaps the Admin who was fcuking with his avator should say 'yeah, it was me, i was acting the d!ck, apologies', the thread should be closed and everyone should move on. What leaves a bitter taste in the mouth is that there is a very big smell of 'one rule for them, one for us' here; in fact its more than a smell - it has been openly articulated. A little bit of openness and transparency wouldnt go astray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

drkpower wrote: »
    Perhaps the Admin who was fcuking with his avator should say 'yeah, it was me, i was acting the d!ck, apologies', the thread should be closed and everyone should move on. What leaves a bitter taste in the mouth is that there is a very big smell of 'one rule for them, one for us' here; in fact its more than a smell - it has been openly articulated. A little bit of openness and transparency wouldnt go astray.

I agree
    People get forum banned and site banned for there sense of humour .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I dunno what to say at this point, so here's a lol(not really)graph™.

Disclaimer, I made this up.

Another Disclaimer; say "Cwisis" like Michael Palin did on Life of Bwian, it works better.

Boards_Graph.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Fair game or not, it looks really bad/unprofessional (paid or unpaid) for moderators and especially admins to be absolutely ripping the piss here (even if a little bit of sarcasm would be understandable). And jibes (as opposed to serious concerns) about mental illness directed at an individual - bad form.

Aye, that rattled me a bit as well. Specially given that it was coming from folk I otherwise have a lot of gra for, but who seem to pop up in defence of the status quo far more than they used to.

Anyway, that aside I'd summarise my feeling (rambling posts and spurious lolgraphs aside) as follows;

Did yer man deserve the ban? Yep.

Did he deserve to have his mental health called into account, and be turned on by whoever happened to be online at the time? Nope.

Have there been fibs told about the meddling with his account? Don't know, but if people are telling untruths or are posting without all the facts to hand, we should be told out of courtesy, not be given a tacit warning that the only way we have of communicating our concerns (this thread) is about to be closed off to us.

Is the said meddling, if it happened a big deal anyway? I'd say not, but times have changed, and such things may be unacceptable these days. Either way, that doesn't concern me so much as the *perception* that the ranks are closing yet again, ad nauseum ad infinitum etc etc.

Anti mod whinges can irritate me as so much of what's said is completely unfounded and often just paranoia (I used to moderate - mods are unequivocally NOT all singing from the same hymn sheet) but then stuff like this helps to justify it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

bluewolf wrote: »
    First of all, having someone objective and not a CTer helps the range of moderatorship, just like there are non-muslim mods in Islam forum
    Secondly, go talk to a doctor
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Thick isn't the word that springs to mind.
    tbh wrote: »
    With all due respect, the mental health of some posters would be better served by their access to this site being withdrawn, IMHO.
    You seems to be expressing the belief that everyone is out to get you. Tell me, how long have you felt like this?
    bluewolf wrote: »
    You posted a link to this thread, what else were we to do but follow it?

Since his breakdown I would imagine
    Which makes me feel a little guilty
    but oh well

Wow. The nastiness of the above bullying is one thing.

The outrageous references to mental health and snide comments suggesting this is abhorrent to anyone experiencing mental health issues.

I've used the phrase "mod conspiracy" before, but even when the red mist had descended, I never truly thought that there was a hivemind at play, even back in the days when there were about a third of the number of mods there is today.

What there are, are groups within that, who would hold the same opinions, and are vocal in expressing them, be it on the mod forum (which is a driver in collective opinion in itself) or in general. People work side by side with others, get to know them online and off, and tend to back them up when the need arises. That's human nature.

I still say that the presence of mods here yesterday and today was more or less coincidental, I wouldn't get bogged down in that aspect of it alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Darlughda wrote: »

The outrageous references to mental health and snide comments suggesting this is abhorrent to anyone experiencing mental health issues.

Demonspawn never made a secret of his previous mental health issues. I think some of those quotes were genuine expressions of concern, and shouldn't be lumped in as bullying.

If you're talking about me there brown bomber, I wasn't insulting the guy, I would have genuine concerns about the guys mental health, and it waobvious that his stress levels were climbing

Lol. Pull the other one. Genuine concerns my ass.

Demonspawn never made a secret of his previous mental health issues. I think some of those quotes were genuine expressions of concern, and shouldn't be lumped in as bullying.
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Thick isn't the word that springs to mind.

If you knew this why did you thank an post like this

Ridiculous. It was out and out snide commenting. No sense of compassion or genuine engagement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

And thus concludes this edition of mock the weak. Tune in next time when the poster is shunted off to the nearest helpdesk or prison forum where he or she will have no one else to stick up for them. Don't forget the popcorn!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I think that some were not genuine expressions of concern, and I'm not sure about the rest. In any event, it is at best unwise to bring up questions of the mental health of a poster in any discussion here.

It really is starting to look like the institutional side of boards.ie are circling the wagons. And for what? To fight off suggestions that admins or mods might have behaved inappropriately.

Not good.

I think this thread should not be locked in 24 hr by a mod or Admin as its moderation and administration called into Question

Dav or Darragh should give us a Jerry Springer moment of reflection to end this thread:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Lol. Pull the other one. Genuine concerns my ass.

Believe what you like. My record speaks for itself. I had no idea the guy had posted about mental health issues before. I said on this thread that I thought he was being harmed by being on boards and I stand over it. I wasn't rude to him or snide to him and to be honest, you and roundy can read whatever motives you want into why I posted what I did. I think it was in the guys best interests that he be banned, at least temporarily. If you and roundy can't see any other reason for me posting that other than a cheap jibe, that's grand, but It doesn't make it true.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

WIZE wrote: »
    If you knew this why did you thank an post like this

I thanked it because I agreed with the sentiments expressed by the poster, and because I admired them for biting the bullet and saying what needed to be said.

Sometimes, in very rare cases, people need to just forget about the rainbows and candy-floss and be told how they come across to others. As adults, if you dish out abuse to the entire team behind a website, then it shouldn't be a surprise to get it back. This is the Internet. If you're too sensitive to deal with the mildest of derogatory terms, you shouldn't be dishing them out.

I can't see where all the sympathy is coming from in this thread. The OP went on an unprovoked rampage half an hour after a new moderator was announced. It was the final straw after a series of prolonged fights he got involved in. For someone who did nothing but give out about the site, he did very well to last as long as he did. By revealing his alternate (troll) account, he should have lost whatever lingering respect was left for him among his fellow CT posters.

Bull****. Why can't people make references to mental health? Why do you assume that it can only be mentioned in an attemp to belittle someone? You think the guys rants were the product of a sane mind? I don't, and I think now and thought then that posting on this site woul be harmful for him.

• Advertisement

Sometimes, in very rare cases, people need to just forget about the rainbows and candy-floss and be told how they come across to others. As adults, if you dish out abuse to the entire team behind a website, then it shouldn't be a surprise to get it back. This is the Internet. If you're too sensitive to deal with the mildest of derogatory terms, you shouldn't be dishing them out.

I can't see where all the sympathy is coming from in this thread. The OP went on an unprovoked rampage half an hour after a new moderator was announced. It was the final straw after a series of prolonged fights he got involved in. For someone who did nothing but give out about the site, he did very well to last as long as he did. By revealing his alternate (troll) account, he should have lost whatever lingering respect was left for him among his fellow CT posters.
    So you're saying (and I'm speaking in general here): someone makes themselves look like an asshole, deal with them by making yourself look like an asshole too rather than being the bigger person and addressing them in a more mature manner? I thought that was confined to the playground.

Dudess wrote: »
    So you're saying (and I'm speaking in general here): someone makes themselves look like an asshole, deal with them by making yourself look like an asshole too rather than being the bigger person and addressing them in a more mature manner? I thought that was confined to the playground.

I agree with this, tbh. User should have been banned with no fuss, all the other stuff was pointless.

I thanked it because I agreed with the sentiments expressed by the poster, and because I admired them for biting the bullet and saying what needed to be said.

Ive seen one Post get forum banned

Admins and Mods let it continue to get reactions out of the OP
    Tome Dunnes Post looks like it was attcking the Poster and not the Post

Anyone who gets banned in other Forums for the type of post like the here by Admins and Mods can use this thread as an example of getting bans over turned as it looks like no infractions will be handed out to ****ty behavour by people who run this site

Im 99.9 % behind Mods and Admins decissions but when rules only Apply to users its a joke

I curious if I go back through this thread and report lots of the Posts who will Action them . The same Admins and mods who posted them or thanked them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Sympathy for the OP is a red-herring. He was a grade A twat and may well have had issues. That isnt the issue. The issue was the manner in which one Admin (? identity) decided to go completely over the top by abusing his authority unneccessarily provoking the guy by changing his avatar etc and yet still hasnt taken any responsibility for those actions, and his fellow Admins dont seem to think anything untoward has happened at all.

If the Admin in question had the balls to step forward, the issue would go away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Two cents time:

Knickers have been so thoroughly twisted over this it would make Escher shed a non-Euclidean tear. I think the over-reaction is very stupid. If an admin did change that avatar, I'll be disappointed if they apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Bull****. Why can't people make references to mental health? Why do you assume that it can only be mentioned in an attemp to belittle someone?

You should not make references to an individual's mental health because you do not have the competence to make an informed professional judgement.
    You think the guys rants were the product of a sane mind?

I don't know, and neither do you.
    I don't, and I think now and thought then that posting on this site woul be harmful for him.

Making a public pronouncement like that is outrageous.

I suggest that you reflect on what you said, and apologise to everybody.

Relax tibbers, I know you're not a bully.

That is because I've interacted with you on here for years, and know better. If I read that comment cold as it were, I would draw a different conclusion, as I suspect did some or more or those who milled in to thank the post.

This isn't about you or me, so I'll leave it at that.

Nor is it about the OP, for that matter.

Sarky wrote: »
    Two cents time:

Knickers have been so thoroughly twisted over this it would make Escher shed a non-Euclidean tear. I think the over-reaction is very stupid. If an admin did change that avatar, I'll be disappointed if they apologise.

Sarky our accounts are our Identity as our Avatar are

If I spray painted the front of your house would it piss u off if you called the Garda and they told you to piss off ?

Mods & Admins are really the Garda of this site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

Sarky wrote: »
    Two cents time:

Disappointed?

In the interest of fair-play, they should be punished the way any regular user would.

• Advertisement

You should not make references to an individual's mental health because you do not have the competence to make an informed professional judgement.

I don't know, and neither do you.

Making a public pronouncement like that is outrageous.

I suggest that you reflect on what you said, and apologise to everybody.

Nah. I'm not qualified to make the judgement but I'm entitled to give my opinion, same as anyone. I said what i said because I wanted to help the op, not because I wanted to take a pop. I don't really care if you don't believe me, but no way I'd apologise for that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement