Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

YodaBoy wrote: »
    What are the registration fees for the next few years like for med. (trinity hopefully) tbh, I've concentrated so much on points etc that I've no clue about fees, accommodation and so on. Pretty naive but...

Are you an Irish student? If so, you get "free" fees, which basically means you pay the college registration fee (€2000) but don't pay for the course fees (~€9000) which international students have to pay.
    How many points did it go down from round one?

I think 3, but I'm not 100% sure. That was in the first year of the hpat.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Wow...never thought they'd put anything up online this early though. Thanks very much for the link! Thats my hopes of Medicine radically dropping gone :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

What are the registration fees for the next few years like for med. (trinity hopefully) tbh, I've concentrated so much on points etc that I've no clue about fees, accommodation and so on. Pretty naive but...

€2000 this year anyway, and that's for every course in every college. There's add-ons too. For example, in Trinity there's like, €70 for gym membership, and UCD has €100 or thereabouts for a student centre levy.
    How many points did it go down from round one?

Hmm. I think it was either 730 or 729* in the first round. I had 726, and got it on 3rd round random selection. I got a paper rechecked and went up to 728, but that was *after* I got my offer, so by the 3rd round it had gone down 3 or 4 points, and I'm pretty sure it went to a 4th round as well.

There's a massive increase this year, but hopefully the points will drop in subsequent rounds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

bythewoods wrote: »
    There's a massive increase this year, but hopefully the points will drop in subsequent rounds :)
    I need them to drop by 17 to get an offer from RCSI. Not very probable but still possible if I get an upgrade or two in the appeals and the points drop down by a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 darling1

With such a huge increase in points could definitely see points coming down in subsequent rounds however a decrease +5 is highly unlikely:(
    RCSI very mixed feelings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Oh, a point short.

GOOD ONE LIFE

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

FML. 2010, short. Repeated 2011, still barely short. :(:( What a waste of a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mmmuir

jumpguy wrote: »
    Oh, a point short.

GOOD ONE LIFE

You're kidding! Second round offers dude, and recheck recheck recheck. I'm 12 off so... What's another year eh? :)

jumpguy wrote: »
    Oh, a point short.

GOOD ONE LIFE
    Damn it :(

So close. You may get it in the 2nd or 3rd round. Keep hope.

Look on the bright side, you're not 13 points off >_>

Just to reiterate my previous post...taking a year out to do something different is definitely not the end of the world. I was on this very forum and wanted med just as bad this time last year, so I know how it feels. It is disappointing but you have to stay optimistic and look at your other options. I enjoyed what I did instead so much I don't even want med anymore :P

Also, repeating the HPAT can definitely improve your score, and to anyone considering that I'll dispense my advice for it now: Relax. I did no extra prep courses or anything this year, in fact I did less work for it than I did the year before. The main difference was the first time I did it I was really nervous because I knew how important it was to me getting a place, and the second time I had already gone off med and knew my performance was not that important so I could coolly go through the questions and not panic. I know it's not that simple if the HPAT is still important to you of course you'll be nervous, but honestly, if you can work on keeping calm and relaxing as well as whatever other prep work you want to do it Will help. My score went up 24 points ;)

As it is I have 741 so assuming I get a place in TCD tomorrow, one of you is welcome to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

I'll take that place if you're offering? :P How handy would that be? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ambaiste

With a total of 720 points it seems like the chances of getting a place this year are slim to none. Which I have only myself to blame for, after an extremely lazy year.
    Most likely I'll do law in ucc and repeat the hpat if i decide i still want med. Just kinda gutted about wasting the year though.

Anyone know how likely it is that a grade would be upgraded after an appeal? Trying to see if it's worth the 80 euro to get two appealed.. Thanks

Ambaiste wrote: »
    With a total of 720 points it seems like the chances of getting a place this year are slim to none. Which I have only myself to blame for, after an extremely lazy year.
    Most likely I'll do law in ucc and repeat the hpat if i decide i still want med. Just kinda gutted about wasting the year though.

Anyone know how likely it is that a grade would be upgraded after an appeal? Trying to see if it's worth the 80 euro to get two appealed.. Thanks
    Depends on the paper. View it first and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

eia340600 wrote: »
    Well if you think it was a waste of time, maybe it's just as well you didn't get medicine. Having worked as a HCA for the last two summers I know I would love to work in the healthcare industry, whether as a doctor, a nurse or a receptionist, I don't care.I definitely won't consider my time wasted if I don't get offered med.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you have experienced the health care industry (excluding grey's anatomy)???:D

Wasted in terms of how I didn't apply to England it was all unnecessary anyway. In relation to how irish colleges don't require it. Unfair of you to say or comment on if i do or don't deserve medicine. I don't know you and wouldn't judge. Sorry if my original post was phrased badly but I don't appreciate your comment.

Sure I had fun, great experience, met amazing people ( Didn't get paid (before you jump on me about doing it for financial gain - I wasn't; purely experience)
    Just made me sure about really liking it as a career.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

which subjects? Sorry to hear:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

How reliable is that Irish times piece or are we still jumping up at 6??

Sunny!! wrote: »
    which subjects? Sorry to hear:(

French definitely, I got a B2 which really surprised me as it was the exam I felt most confident coming out of. Same goes for chemistry..

I read in the appeals booklet that results wont come out till mid october. Does anyone know if your appeals were successful and you then had enough points for medicine, could you get a place at such a late stage?

How reliable is that Irish times piece or are we still jumping up at 6??
    Probably spot on accurate save for random selection.

French definitely, I got a B2 which really surprised me as it was the exam I felt most confident coming out of. Same goes for chemistry..

I read in the appeals booklet that results wont come out till mid october. Does anyone know if your appeals were successful and you then had enough points for medicine, could you get a place at such a late stage?

i think youll get offered a place next year if your brought up, id look at french alright, the chemistry paper was marked well for me, but go and have a look at it

Ah you're not wasting a year you're not in a coma sure, the year in law might be really good for you. Thinking of accepting Mathematical Sciences in UCC and hitting med next year...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Well done to everyone who looks like they've secured their place. It's a massive achievement. And I know luck doesn't have much to do with it, but from my perspective, you're all really lucky to have got in...

'Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2012' anyone...?

Hpat sure is one volatile component:(

mmmuir wrote: »
    Ah you're not wasting a year you're not in a coma sure, the year in law might be really good for you. Thinking of accepting Mathematical Sciences in UCC and hitting med next year...

Yeah, I'm not sure if I was referring to wasting my 6th year doing nothing or wasting a year that could be spent doing medicine. I'm sure I'd love law, but not having to change course If I decide I really wanted medicine.

Well done to everyone who looks like they've secured their place. It's a massive achievement. And I know luck doesn't have much to do with it, but from my perspective, you're all really lucky to have got in...

'Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2012' anyone...?
    yes haha, but wouldnt it be great if the hpat bit could be left out :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

Probably spot on accurate save for random selection.
    that's what I like to hear!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Sunny!! wrote: »
    yes haha, but wouldnt it be great if the hpat bit could be left out :p

:pac: Medicine 2012! Can't wait!

But seriously, yes. Yes that would be great, because the HPAT is an evil creation, and one which (crucially) I'm not very good at.

Yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 em93

Hey everyone, just saw this on the Irish Times website and I'm sure you're all eager to find so thought I'd post it here...Hope ye all get what ye want! :)

Medicine – the points requirement for undergraduate medicine is up again, but graduate entry requirements for medicine are down. Trinity is up 10 to 741, Royal College of Surgeons is also up 10 to 733, UCD is up 13 to 738 and NUI Galway and UCC are up nine to 729 and 734.

:pac: Medicine 2012! Can't wait!

But seriously, yes. Yes that would be great, because the HPAT is an evil creation, and one which (crucially) I'm not very good at.

Yet!

an evil creation indeed, we'd never be as lucky that theyed scrap it next year, id rather have to get 590 tbh :D

Yeah, I'm not sure if I was referring to wasting my 6th year doing nothing or wasting a year that could be spent doing medicine. I'm sure I'd love law, but not having to change course If I decide I really wanted medicine.

Yeah I'm trying to console myself here really :)

• Advertisement

The chances of someone getting in with under 550 points are relatively slim unless they possess 200+ hpat basically undermining the whole thought process behind implementing this wildcard of a test, coming from someone who last year had diaster of a hpat and with MUCH less effort this year got 87th percentile, funny way of measuring a candidates 'natural apptitude'.

Advertisement