Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

So I got 485 + 178 from Hpat. Though I'm in the hear scheme. Still Chances looking very very slim. Still happy enough with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Jaafa wrote: »
    So I got 485 + 178 from Hpat. Though I'm in the hear scheme. Still Chances looking very very slim. Still happy enough with that.
    How many points do you need on the HEAR scheme?

How many points do you need on the HEAR scheme?

I haven't a clue. I heard of a guy getting an extra 25 points. I heard another saying they give you up to 10% off. So I don't know really.

Jaafa wrote: »
    I haven't a clue. I heard of a guy getting an extra 25 points. I heard another saying they give you up to 10% off. So I don't know really.
    10% off? Are the CAO having a sale? :D

721 x 90% = 649 points

What a steal :p

721 x 90% = 649 points

I honestly don't know how it works. They played downed the whole giving off points thing and wouldn't give a definite answer. It might be case by case.

• Advertisement

All will be revealed come Monday... The wait will be even more tantalising than the past week.

Good luck everyone.

All will be revealed come Monday... The wait will be even more tantalising than the past week.

Good luck everyone.

Indeed. Luckily there's nothing on my CAO that I wouldn't like doing so I can't complain.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

I was glancing through this thread and I saw someone listing first year UCD psychology modules and explaining why they would not exempt you from pre-med. This is very true, they wont, but the first year in Psychology in UCD is unique, in that you can take two other subjects from the arts omnibus, so German or English or history. Whatever floats your boat from the Arts omnibus. You would only be exempt from pre-med, if you used the "elective" modules-typically 2 per year, when registering, to pick pre-med subjects.

Your degree would then be configured as so:
    1st year-
    4 psychology modules
    3 arts subject X modules
    3 arts subject Y modules
    2 pre-med electives.

To anyone considering this-a word of warning. Electives are subjects which you can take from across any degree program in UCD. So a computer-science student could take a Spanish module for example. This would be an example of a General Elective- an elective which is outside your main degree subject area.
    In-program electives are within your subject area.

HOWEVER, general electives are allocated on a first come- first served basis, so if you were in Psychology, and applied for a pre-med elective, there would be no guarantee that you would get your place. So you could be left in a situation, where you began Psychology simply to skip pre-med through taking medicine electives, but you could be unable to do so, if you were not allocated a place in the elective.

In-program electives are automatically confirmed for you, so you are guaranteed a place. In program electives, are those which are offered as part of your degree subject- thus for a psychology student, a medicine elective would not be automatically guaranteed.

I thought I should share this, should anyone hold the belief that they would be guaranteed pre-med after a year of psychology and a good repeat score in the HPAT. It is not the case. It will require careful planning.

Should anyone need further help with this, PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Mr.mojo

Hate to break the news evry1 but anything under 726 is highly unlikly.Take this from experience.yes the places went up by 19 and the number of ppl applying dropped by bout 8% but the score across the board went up around 8 points and the standard is always improving....ie take eight pointsfrom your total and are you still on 719! thats what you should do!if you're on 724(like me) then give up all hope and start preparing yourself for your 2nd choice!

Mr.mojo wrote: »
    Hate to break the news evry1 but anything under 726 is highly unlikly.Take this from experience.yes the places went up by 19 and the number of ppl applying dropped by bout 8% but the score across the board went up around 8 points and the standard is always improving....ie take eight pointsfrom your total and are you still on 719! thats what you should do!if you're on 724(like me) then give up all hope and start preparing yourself for your 2nd choice!
    Just because more people this year achieved high HPAT scores doesn't necessarily mean that the points will rise. For all we know the highest achievers in the HPAT may not have necessarily achieved enough points in the LC.

Even if you're on 224 in the HPAT you still need 500 points in your LC to be just on last year's threshold.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't agree with that at all. A degree of realism is needed for sure but your bordering on extreme pessimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭niq

724 is a great score! Still possible to do medicine! :eek:

No need to drag other people down with you if you're feeling that way!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

While, lets face it, the points will rise, nobody knows to what degree until Monday. :) Cross that bridge when it comes I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

721 x 90% = 649 points

I think the 10% applies to normal CAO courses. The only score I've heard for getting in on the HEAR scheme was 708 last year, I have no idea if this was in the upper or lower range of HEAR applicants though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

dynamot wrote: »
    I have no doubt that psychology and my LC alone wouldn't exempt me from pre-med, but my question was whether an elective taken for a year in chemistry or a similar scientific discipline would.

Sorry, I havent read back far enough in the thread but if you have high chemistry at LC level and one year in college completed, it is very possible that you will be exempted from pre-med. I am absolutely certain about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

newbie! wrote: »
    Sorry, I havent read back far enough in the thread but if you have high chemistry at LC level and one year in college completed, it is very possible that you will be exempted from pre-med. I am absolutely certain about this.

I think that he didn't do chemistry for the LC, also, UCD are the only ones that accept only 1 science to go straight into the 5 year course. You can be exempt after your first year course but it would have to involve some form of premed modules which are the science subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

jumpguy wrote: »
    While, lets face it, the points will rise, nobody knows to what degree until Monday. :) Cross that bridge when it comes I say!

Am I allowed post my guess though? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

Anyone think TCD could possibly go up more than 10 points into the 740's? Hopefully I'm safe :(

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Anyone think TCD could possibly go up more than 10 points into the 740's? Hopefully I'm safe

I think an increase in points is inevitable but i'm really hoping it won't go up too much!! not long left till we find out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Am I allowed post my guess though? wink.gif

What is your guess?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Am I allowed post my guess though? ;)
    I don't see why not, but as long as people know it's only a guess/estimate. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I'd forgot about the HPAT til now but just worked out I got 690, silly me :o . Took med off the CAO anyway :)

Best of luck to all the medicine applicants

I'm gonna say.....

NUIG 723
    RCSI 726
    UCC 727
    UCD 729
    TCD 733

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

could someone explain to me why you have to get all the entry requirements in one sitting of the leaving cert for medicine, like if i repeat why do i have to do maths, english, etc

sorry, may be a stupid question, and incorrectly phrased
    any help thanks in advance

Sunny!! wrote: »
    could someone explain to me why you have to get all the entry requirements in one sitting of the leaving cert for medicine, like if i repeat why do i have to do maths, english, etc

To make entry even more selective.

I guess maybe it's not necessary now the Hpat is used. But it wasn't/wouldn't be fair that people could just resit 1 or 2 subjects for a course in which there is huge competition. Driving points up to almost 600 for all colleges, forcing a lot of students to resit the leaving cert and essentially add an extra year onto a course that's already 5/6 years long?

thank you, just another one of those obstacles i suppose:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

So i guess a lot of us will be sitting next to each other somewhere in a few weeks time...it's still very surreal

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

To save people repeating, cherry-picking 6 subjects and competing with a big advantage against first-time LC students who have to take the core subjects (and their other subjects for the first time).

Medicine is so competitive that what it would basically amount to otherwise for a lot of people would be "Want medicine? Resign yourself to repeating!!"

A lot repeat as it is, but if that restriction wasn't there, numbers would shoot up.

• Advertisement

To save people repeating, cherry-picking 6 subjects and competing with a big advantage against first-time LC students who have to take the core subjects (and their other subjects for the first time).

Medicine is so competitive that what it would basically amount to otherwise for a lot of people would be "Want medicine? Resign yourself to repeating!!"

A lot repeat as it is, but if that restriction wasn't there, numbers would shoot up.

true, it really shows are you willing to go to any extent and are you dedicated, if there was no hpat it wouldnt bother me that much:p

Advertisement