Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 x.Ais.x

YodaBoy wrote: »
    So, who's going to Trinity Halls??? Can't believe it's all happening now!:D:D:D:D

Hopefully, I accepted my offer on CAO but when I put my CAO number into Trinity's application to get to book accommodation online it's not recognising my details - is this normal?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

x.Ais.x wrote: »
    Hopefully, I accepted my offer on CAO but when I put my CAO number into Trinity's application to get to book accommodation online it's not recognising my details - is this normal?!!
    Yeah I got that too. I was told though when I went up there on Friday that they don't have the site ready for applications until lunch time ish.

Shouldn't be a problem getting in. I think first years get preference but they never can fully fill it with first years...apply today and youre pretty much guaranteed a place :D:D:D

Heard so much about the place! Can't wait to get there for freshers week!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Crush525

Hey, I'm new here and have some questions if anyone would be so kindly to answer them :)

So I'm an A-Level student in Belfast with a total of 728 CAO points, so I think I'm currently shy of NUI Galway by one point. Does anyone know how likely it is I can get in 2nd or maybe 3rd round?

I'm currently getting two modules remarked and if I go up by 2 or 3 marks, I'll get an A* bringing my points to 739, but that means waiting to September 9th, which I fear to be to late for this year. Would there be a chance I could get an offer if I went up?

I have got an offer for Science in TCD, and wonder if I should just take it and if there is a way to transfer over to Medicine next year if I do well in the course?

And lastly, congratulations for those with your Round 1 offer and good luck to the rest for Round 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

Crush525 wrote: »
    Hey, I'm new here and have some questions if anyone would be so kindly to answer them :)

So I'm an A-Level student in Belfast with a total of 728 CAO points, so I think I'm currently shy of NUI Galway by one point. Does anyone know how likely it is I can get in 2nd or maybe 3rd round?

I'm currently getting two modules remarked and if I go up by 2 or 3 marks, I'll get an A* bringing my points to 739, but that means waiting to September 9th, which I fear to be to late for this year. Would there be a chance I could get an offer if I went up?

I have got an offer for Science in TCD, and wonder if I should just take it and if there is a way to transfer over to Medicine next year if I do well in the course?

And lastly, congratulations for those with your Round 1 offer and good luck to the rest for Round 2!

Heya congrats on really good results! From what other people are saying it is quite possible that youd get a place on the second round.
    Now with regard to the recheck, I know in the LC if you go up and then would've gotten in on your new points you are then given a place because its "their" fault and not yours. I assume its the same for A level students. We dont get rechecks back till late in October so most people who go up enough then leave their cpurse and take a year out before starting the medicine the following September, that wouldnt be an issue with you though!:) Galway starts on September 10th!:)

I think you should ring CAO and ask them what they think if you are unsucessful in the next 2 rounds!:)

I dont know about internal transfers and how common they are unless you resit the hpat! Taking science shouldnt jepordise your chance at a 2nd/3rd round offer or your chance if your results go up!:)

Good luck , hope to see you in NUIG in a few weeks!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Crush525

Heya congrats on really good results! From what other people are saying it is quite possible that youd get a place on the second round.
    Now with regard to the recheck, I know in the LC if you go up and then would've gotten in on your new points you are then given a place because its "their" fault and not yours. I assume its the same for A level students. We dont get rechecks back till late in October so most people who go up enough then leave their cpurse and take a year out before starting the medicine the following September, that wouldnt be an issue with you though!:)

I think you should ring CAO and ask them what they think if you are unsucessful in the next 2 rounds!:)

Good luck , hope to see you in NUIG in a few weeks!:)

Thanks, I was really happy with my grades and HPAT score of 189, but to not be "good enough" is just so disheartening. And thanks for answering my questions, I also hope to see you in Galway in a few weeks too! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Congrats to everyone who got in. No doubt you deserve it.

I got biomedical in UCD so if Ill feel like it I might join ya's in 4 years. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 isomerised

I'd just like to mention two things. One is that I too am having that problem with Halls. n_n Two is a genuine congratulations to everyone. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

Say if you repeat the HPAT next year but get a lower score than this year, can you use this year's score instead for next year? Or do you have to accept next year's score?

Also, what's the likelihood of getting lower on your HPAT next year? I would study very hard for it, much more than this year. I only missed out by a few points but was so caught up in the LC that I only practised the HPAT the week before as I had no time.

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Blerh

Aye. Missed my offer from England by 5 points and missed Trinity by 6 points :/
    I'm gonna try and upgrade one of my grades to get england but jeeez depressing morning!
    Congratulations to all of you super geniuses that got medicine though :D
    I'm gonna be going to Trinity anyway for computer science (:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 s0ur_cherry

Looks like the HPAT might be finito after this year:

http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/medicine-points-still-out-of-reach-as-aptitude-test-deemed-a-failure-2854097.html

To be fair, I know quite a few people who've gone up literally 40-50 percentiles by doing the ******** course.. The last point in that article about further ostracising those who can't afford to pay for that kind of course is very valid imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Blerh

Crush525 wrote: »

I rang them up a while ago asking after transferring into medicine and they said they don't do any transfers for medicine. You could get an offer later on especially if your points went up. The leaving cert remarked grades don't come out til October so I'll doubt you'll be too late (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭johndoe91

Say if you repeat the HPAT next year but get a lower score than this year, can you use this year's score instead for next year? Or do you have to accept next year's score?

Also, what's the likelihood of getting lower on your HPAT next year? I would study very hard for it, much more than this year. I only missed out by a few points but was so caught up in the LC that I only practised the HPAT the week before as I had no time.

Thank you!

yeah you can pick your best hpat score.....i went to college and just repeated the hpat and went up over 20 points!.....i did the ******** course as well...so it is definitely do able!

Obviously there are the few that go down but if you put the work in there is no reason why you wouldnt go up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Looks like the HPAT might be finito after this year:

http://www.independent.ie/education/latest-news/medicine-points-still-out-of-reach-as-aptitude-test-deemed-a-failure-2854097.html

To be fair, I know quite a few people who've gone up literally 40-50 percentiles by doing the ******** course.. The last point in that article about further ostracising those who can't afford to pay for that kind of course is very valid imo.

never :D

Is anybody having a problem with applying for Trinity Halls???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 isomerised

Yes, everyone is, they havent processed us yet so it will take a while. (:

isomerised wrote: »
    Yes, everyone is, they havent processed us yet so it will take a while. (:
    I thought as much. Just making sure I wasn't being left behind while places were being taken.

So see you in a few weeks...still a bit surreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

May I repeat what I posted yesterday before the results. I must admit I am shocked at the increase in points and many people must be too. The advice I gave yesterday still stands even if I was wrong about the Lowest score.

drrkpd wrote: »
    All good luck tomorrow and a few thoughts.

1. I can totally understand people wanting to go to College near home in these times but it does amuse me that people are so certain that they want Trinity or UCD etc. As I have already said when you qualify nobody will know or even care what your LC or hpat score was. Nor will they care which University you went to. They will judge you on how good a doctor you are- nothing more or less.

2. The other courses rarely mentioned like RCSI are excellent and really people should be focused on getting a PLACE in Medicine-where it is does not matter.

3. Your intern job is now sorted centrally and you get your top choice if you do well in your overall degree not where you went. So if you want to join your girl/boyfriend in say Cork and you trained in Galway and did well you now can.

4. Do premed if it is available unless you are a mature student. The change from LC to college is huge and premed allows you to settle into that. You will never work so hard as you will in 1st year of medicine. You are basically trying to learn a new language in a few months. About 10% of students fail some exam in 1st year though many compensate in the Summer.This is a huge shock to students many of whom have never failed an exam in their life before.

5. Enjoy being a student-you will only do it once and you will make friends for life!!

6. If you haven't succeeded and your heart is set on it then commiserations. Sadly I think combined scores will go up perhaps to 726 minimum but I don't know and neither does anyone else at this point. Not getting the required score does not mean you are stupid or a failure-far from it but points simply represent supply and demand

7. If you really want to do Medicine there are now other options but be careful about money. If you have good LC and not so good hpat you can go to college and do an online course like M******y and repeat hpat BUT you must be aware you may have to pay first year Medicine fees (UCD €9,000 for example) because you have already started a different course. You might even work for a year or take a year out and do hpat then your fees are covered if you succed but it is a risk.

8.You can also get a 2.1 in any degree do GAMSAT and then do graduate medicine but again be careful about fees because it can be very expensive!!

9. You can go abroad. I am afraid I don't know enough about European Courses to advise but I do know that you can now apply to Ireland to be an intern here which is a major change.

10. Briitish Universities want a personal statement that shows experience in looking after people in some way and increasingly their grades are no better than LC here. Check UCAS website for equivelant qualifications but despite what has been said on this forum before most have no interest in resit grades just first time and some eg Liverpool will not accept LC at all!!
    UK fees will be 9,000 sterling/year as a student loan and only Scotland would give you free fees but that may have changed.

10. Many people are not Doctors and are very happy. Some Doctors and medical students aren't happy at all. So Medicine is not for everyone. It takes a minimum of 5 years at College ( and I would recommend 6) plus a minimum of 7 years to be a consultant. Real life is not ER or Greys Anatomy but if you are doing what you enjoy it can be very fulfilling-but so can many other jobs!!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sopherson

i did remarkably bad in my L.C, and even worse in my hpat this year. i plan to repeat the hpat and i hope i do really well this time with a lot of effort and time. can Somebody tell me if i'd be wasting my time repeating and if i should just try to get into to medicine via the postgrad route!!
    And does anyone know the procedure im to follow if i want to repeat the hpat anyway?

im quite desperate for some advice and information!!!

drrkpd wrote: »
    May I repeat what I posted yesterday before the results. I must admit I am shocked at the increase in points and many people must be too. The advice I gave yesterday still stands even if I was wrong about the Lowest score.

you seem to be informed!! i need help. ive never been so confused in my life!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

I have sent you a PM -Happy to help if I can

• Advertisement

what do people think the chances of the hpat being scrapped are?

sopherson wrote: »
    i did remarkably bad in my L.C, and even worse in my hpat this year. i plan to repeat the hpat and i hope i do really well this time with a lot of effort and time. can Somebody tell me if i'd be wasting my time repeating and if i should just try to get into to medicine via the postgrad route!!
    And does anyone know the procedure im to follow if i want to repeat the hpat anyway?

im quite desperate for some advice and information!!!

i'd say repeat, especially if your willing to apply yourself. I'm kind of in the same situation as you, i done a good enough leaving cert, but woeful hpat, so the lc didn't matter, hopefully they will scrap it, or a preparatory course could be another option, repeating cant be that bad, just another year:)

okay thanks. but do i have to contact the cao to repeat? are u considering a prep course?

okay thanks. but do i have to contact the cao to repeat? are u considering a prep course?

apply to the new cao next later this year, enter your old exam number on the NEW CAO and they'll sort it. I am seriously considering it, if its still in existence, they are expensive but i'd be willing to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Enda Kenny

Got NUIG!! :D

I had 750 so I was quite confident Id get it!! Can't believe the jump though!! :O of 10 points across the board! Crazy! With the extra places I thought it would stay the same!
    Any way wholl be joining me in 5 year Med in Galway? :D

Got NUIG aswell but don't know if i'll be offered the 5 year course...only have two LC sciences.When will i find out if i can do the five year couse or not??

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

hey if i do a level 7 this year and change to level 8 next year do i have to pay fees?

Sunny!! wrote: »
    apply to the new cao next later this year, enter your old exam number on the NEW CAO and they'll sort it. I am seriously considering it, if its still in existence, they are expensive but i'd be willing to pay.

oh kay... I feel the same. right old number.... new CAO. got it! where would u like to study med. anyway. will u be doing the lc again too or doing a course in college in the mean time?

oh kay... I feel the same. right old number.... new CAO. got it! where would u like to study med. anyway. will u be doing the lc again too or doing a course in college in the mean time?

Anywhere ill study it
    Ill be doing the lc again my lc isnt competitive enough, but not too far off
    No course in meantime:)

Sunny!! wrote: »
    Anywhere ill study it
    Ill be doing the lc again my lc isnt competitive enough, but not too far off
    No course in meantime:)

wow i think you're very brave to redo the lc. im just terrified of all the changes, like the new project maths and learning new poetry, all that stress all over again!! it terrifies me.

• Advertisement

wow i think you're very brave to redo the lc. im just terrified of all the changes, like the new project maths and learning new poetry, all that stress all over again!! it terrifies me.

I'll do anything :L, i love english so its doesnt bother me

ill do ol maths, so it be ok

ill might do one hl out of french and irish, not sure.

Advertisement