Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If you get 600 in your LC you'll get 710 points. The first year the HPAT was held had minimum entry requirements of 712. Last year was 721. Even if you get 600 points you'll need a serious reduction in points to be in with a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 AliBeAlright

If you get 600 in your LC you'll get 710 points. The first year the HPAT was held had minimum entry requirements of 712. Last year was 721. Even if you get 600 points you'll need a serious reduction in points to be in with a chance.

if i got 600 does it not equate to 718? sorry im not a hundred percent sure on how they score these things! also can someone explain to me how the second round and third round offer system works, do you have to decline your first round offer in order to receive a second round offer? really looking for some advice im only 17! thanks! :)

Well 600 when adjusted for medicine gives you 560 points. After you pass the threshold of 550, 5 points is counted as only 1 point for Medicine.

Then 560 + 150 = 710

The second round offers are basically places that arise from people who reject their first round offers. As you'd expect, there isn't always a second round and there's no guarantee that points will drop from the first round. You don't have to do anything to get a second round offer. If you accept your first offer and get a better second offer then you can accept your second offer and your first offer is annulled.

kiwi2 wrote: »
    I was a HPAT repeat last year and got med in UCD. Because I had done a year of a science/healthcare course I got to skip premed and go straight into 1st med therefore avoiding paying the fees as I was technically a 'second year'.

hi can someone explain this system to me i havent got a great hpat only got 150 and am looking into all my options for next year, my mam is trying to make me repeat the leaving cert as opposed to do graduate entry though im not keen on repeating (even though we havent got the lc results yet!!) i have human health and disease aswell as pharmacy and science on the cao and was wondering that if i dont get medicine would i be able to go down this route definately?? and what other options do i have available to me! Thanks :)

Well 600 when adjusted for medicine gives you 560 points. After you pass the threshold of 550, 5 points is counted as only 1 point for Medicine.

Then 560 + 150 = 710

The second round offers are basically places that arise from people who reject their first round offers. As you'd expect, there isn't always a second round and there's no guarantee that points will drop from the first round. You don't have to do anything to get a second round offer. If you accept your first offer and get a better second offer then you can accept your second offer and your first offer is annulled.

Ah i understand! I thought it was 560 and then there was the points adjustment as opposed to 550! Thanks for clearing that up for me! :) So would you recommend say i got offered a place in human health and disease (my sixth choice as first five are med) that i take it? And if i was to take it could i still get a second round med offer (with alot of luck!!) or would i be exempt from such as ive already accepted a place somewhere else?

• Advertisement

If you accept Human Health & Disease in Round One and then get a better offer in Round Two then you can accept the Round Two offer with no penalty.

Graduate entry medicine isn't for everyone. You need to complete your degree with a 2.1 and then sit the GAMSAT (A whole different animal to the HPAT) and then complete 4 years to get your degree in Medicine. It's expensive and difficult but you have the added benefit of having two degrees rather than one.

If you accept Human Health & Disease in Round One and then get a better offer in Round Two then you can accept the Round Two offer with no penalty.

Graduate entry medicine isn't for everyone. You need to complete your degree with a 2.1 and then sit the GAMSAT (A whole different animal to the HPAT) and then complete 4 years to get your degree in Medicine. It's expensive and difficult but you have the added benefit of having two degrees rather than one.

Okay! thanks a mil for the advice, so many decisions, maybe repeating the hpat next year (provided i get a good enough leaving cert) is the best option, thanks for your help much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 paulinap

Just wanted to ask if someone is selling their HPAT booklets, I would be happy to buy :)

paulinap wrote: »
    Just wanted to ask if someone is selling their HPAT booklets, I would be happy to buy :)

If I get med this year and don't have to redo the hpat, ill give you mine free :) just not sure if I'll need them or not so I won't make any promises! I'll keep you posted though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 paulinap

Thanks a million.:D
    Hope you'll get the place. Good luck ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nomnom

Helloo :cool:,

Just wondering if anyone here knows they'll be in Trinity Med come Sept? I'm on 781 altogether with 2010 LC points and 2011 HPAT so, unless some cruel twist of fate intervenes, I should be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

nomnom wrote: »

Just wondering if anyone here knows they'll be in Trinity Med come Sept? I'm on 781 altogether with 2010 LC points and 2011 HPAT so, unless some cruel twist of fate intervenes, I should be there!
    By a cruel twist of fate, you mean if Trinity suddenly ceased teaching medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

How did you not get into med last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

dynamot wrote: »

2010 hpat wasn't enough I'd imagine.

2010 hpat wasn't enough I'd imagine.

Their 2011 Hpat must have improved drastically then:eek:

My 2010 HPAT wasn't good enough :o.

Their 2011 Hpat must have improved drastically then:eek:
    Well it has to be at least 221...brilliant score nomnom. (brilliant username too :pac:)

My 2010 HPAT wasn't good enough :o.

How many percentiles did you increase by after you repeated?

I literally went from one end of the bell curve to the other, no joke! You wouldn't believe me if I told you my 2010 score, let's just say it was the lowest of the low :o.

I pretty much did nothing but practice tests and the like from before Xmas to Feb this year, and ended up getting 225 :D:D.

I literally went from one end of the bell curve to the other, no joke! You wouldn't believe me if I told you my 2010 score, let's just say it was the lowest of the low :o.

I pretty much did nothing but practice tests and the like from before Xmas to Feb this year, and ended up getting 225 :D:D.
    Wow, well Done! That gives me a lot of hope for next year :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jamie-obraonain

Hey,
    I was disappointed enough with my hpat this year and it's kinda touch and go whether I'll make the cut in August! I was just wondering; how did u manage to pull ur score up by so much?!?!

Woah, congrats man! I'd by lying if I didn't say I was slightly jealous... :P

I'm bracing myself for the prospect of repeating with my 173 (72nd percentile) :( Trust me to do a HPAT that would offer me no surity of what I'm doing until CAO offers. :P

jumpguy wrote: »
    Woah, congrats man! I'd by lying if I didn't say I was slightly jealous... :P

I'm bracing myself for the prospect of repeating with my 173 (72nd percentile) :( Trust me to do a HPAT that would offer me no surity of what I'm doing until CAO offers. :P

*Woman, actually :rolleyes:. Pffffft :p. Ugh yeah the wait must be a killer! At least you can hold out some amount of hope though. And you'd be surprised, if you decide to take an offer and just repeat the HPAT, you could have a reeally good year :). Good luck anyway!

*Woman, actually :rolleyes:. Pffffft :p. Ugh yeah the wait must be a killer! At least you can hold out some amount of hope though. And you'd be surprised, if you decide to take an offer and just repeat the HPAT, you could have a reeally good year :). Good luck anyway!
    Oh, awkward, I've a tendency to call everyone "man" in real life anyway, most women don't seem to mind (probably silently judging me <_<).

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 golgi

Is it possible to do the HPAT and go into med as an undergrad using my LC points even if i've already got a degree and over 23 (just) so technically im a mature student ? Are places reserved purely for school leavers?

Im obv going to do the gamsats in March with the intent of getting on the four year grad programme but just want to keep my options open, I will also be applying to UK grad and undergrad courses.

Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 darling1

I'm unbelievably jealous:rolleyes:I would love Trinity(as I am already there)but my 735 is looking glum:eek:stagnant points would be much appreciated!

golgi wrote: »
    Is it possible to do the HPAT and go into med as an undergrad using my LC points even if i've already got a degree and over 23 (just) so technically im a mature student ? Are places reserved purely for school leavers?

Yes, you can afaik :)Here on the HPAT website it says as long as you took the Leaving Cert prior to 2011 (ie, you're not in 5th year or less) you can sit the HPAT. The registration opens around November, and you need to have at least 480 points (but realistically, around 520) to be eligible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

I'm unbelievably jealousI would love Trinity(as I am already there)but my 735 is looking glumstagnant points would be much appreciated!

What do you all think trinity's points will go up to? I have my fingers crossed with 746.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

What do you all think trinity's points will go up to? I have my fingers crossed with 746.

Can people stop posting things like this. You will most definitely get in to any college in Ireland with 746. Even 730 is like a guarantee.

Please be aware that there are many people who are on the line in regards getting in and posts like that don't help.

• Advertisement

I pretty much did nothing but practice tests and the like from before Xmas to Feb this year, and ended up getting 225

Wow big big congrats that score is amazing!! Did u do any particular courses? R did u do everything yourself?? Do u mind me asking what you got in the leaving cert?? And way did u get in ur hpat last year??

Advertisement