Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

In Leaving Cert or in college? In LC, no if you are still capable of getting high points without counting maths. In medicine, no, an aptitude for maths wouldn't give you an advantage over anyone else :)

yes lc, thats what i was worried about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Sunny!! wrote: »
    im doing 7 hl, i was just worried about the fact of doing ol maths, when there would be so much more people going for medicine that would be very strong hl

Did you do the LC this year or next year? You have the issue of the bonus points for next year, but the 25 will be 5 points for medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 P_mcgrath

For every OL subject that you count for points you reduce your maximum possible points by a massive 40 points.

One OL subject brings you down to a maximum of 560 points which makes obtaining the required LC points a lot more difficult.

im doing 7 hl, i was just worried about the fact of doing ol maths, when there would be so much more people going for medicine that would be very strong hl

well an a1 in honour maths is only a 5 point advantage, so forget about your ordinary level maths, focus on hpat and your other higher level subjects and best of luck with it.

P_mcgrath wrote: »
    well an a1 in honour maths is only a 5 point advantage, so forget about your ordinary level maths, focus on hpat and your other higher level subjects and best of luck with it.

thank you:) like i still have to do very well in it?? like if i got a c or d surely there wouldnt be a hope?

thank you:) like i still have to do very well in it?? like if i got a c or d surely there wouldnt be a hope?

In what way? The entry requirement is as D3 at Ordinary Level.

• Advertisement

In what way? The entry requirement is as D3 at Ordinary Level.

oh i did it this year, the hpat went a bit bad, but i think i was ok points wise, didnt get 600, probarly have to repeat next year, i suppose hl maths isnt a requirement so it doesnt matter. better off focusing on the others

oh i did it this year, the hpat went a bit bad, but i think i was ok points wise, didnt get 600, probarly have to repeat next year, i suppose hl maths isnt a requirement so it doesnt matter. better off focusing on the others

Yup, exactly :) Wait and see how you did this year though, you never know.

its not possible over my hpat score, but points wise i havent really worried i could improve alright, what do you think about prep course?

its not possible over my hpat score, but points wise i havent really worried i could improve alright, what do you think about prep course?

I think a prep course is a good idea, practice does certainly help for hpat. But again, wait and see how you go...

I think a prep course is a good idea, practice does certainly help for hpat. But again, wait and see how you go...

Tks I really have to improve my hpat to get it, lack of practice this year really, I'm just abit skeptical a out the likes of médentry an awful lot of money, just might go to a grind school in my area for it:D

• Advertisement

Tks I really have to improve my hpat to get it, lack of practice this year really, I'm just abit skeptical a out the likes of médentry an awful lot of money, just might go to a grind school in my area for it:D

Tbh I'm a bit skeptical about the prep courses too. I know people who got high results first time round, on their own, and of course those who got high results and credit it to a prep course. Theres no evidence suggesting that they wouldn't have been able to score highly without one. Equally, most people who take the hpat for the 2nd time tend to go up, whether or not they've done a course.

Tbh I'm a bit skeptical about the prep courses too. I know people who got high results first time round, on their own, and of course those who got high results and credit it to a prep course. Theres no evidence suggesting that they wouldn't have been able to score highly without one. Equally, most people who take the hpat for the 2nd time tend to go up, whether or not they've done a course.

they might be handy for learning about times to spend on each question on each section and they might show you how to approach sections, so thats a benefit. I felt for every 6 or 7 questions towards the end of each question i was running out of time and just guessing, really it was abit of a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

I am going to apply for med in the UK and I'll have to sit the BMAT (in November, I think). Has anyone done it? I only have biology from the leaving and section 2 comprises of all three sciences. Would I be able to prepare for the physics/chem questions between now and then?

dynamot wrote: »
    I am going to apply for med in the UK and I'll have to sit the BMAT (in November, I think). Has anyone done it? I only have biology from the leaving and section 2 comprises of all three sciences. Would I be able to prepare for the physics/chem questions between now and then?

Have you looked at the materials online? It is a pretty tough exam even for students who are studying physics and chem in school, as in November of 6th year, your course wouldn't be finished. What course are you hoping to apply for using bmat?

Have you looked at the materials online? It is a pretty tough exam even for students who are studying physics and chem in school, as in November of 6th year, your course wouldn't be finished. What course are you hoping to apply for using bmat?
    Yeah I've looked at the online material, and they seem to be the same type of questions cropping up in the sciences i.e. practical and logical questions as opposed to theory. I'm not doing the leaving this year so all the study would have to be done outside college. Seeing as though that doesn't start until october, i thought I could get the majority of the work done between now and then.

Yeah I've looked at the online material, and they seem to be the same type of questions cropping up in the sciences i.e. practical and logical questions as opposed to theory. I'm not doing the leaving this year so all the study would have to be done outside college. Seeing as though that doesn't start until october, i thought I could get the majority of the work done between now and then.

Well, I suppose the first thing would be to try and source a teacher who has some experience of bmat. What is your geogrqpical location?

No, i realised there is no point doing the BMAT. The med schools in Britain don't want anything to do with you if you don't have chemistry :(

No, i realised there is no point doing the BMAT. The med schools in Britain don't want anything to do with you if you don't have chemistry :(

It might be an idea to do leaving cert chemstry next year??

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kiwi2

Patri wrote: »
    If you miss out on your first preference (like me) because of a poor hpat, and you choose to just repeat the hpat next year while in a different course, say science, and you accept a place in medicine the year after, would you be eligible for college fees? By re-starting first year do the fees come into place? And if so, what is the median level of fees which must be paid to universities here?

Thanks very much, just considering all options at present.
    I was a HPAT repeat last year and got med in UCD. Because I had done a year of a science/healthcare course I got to skip premed and go straight into 1st med therefore avoiding paying the fees as I was technically a 'second year'.

kiwi2 wrote: »
    Patri wrote: »
    If you miss out on your first preference (like me) because of a poor hpat, and you choose to just repeat the hpat next year while in a different course, say science, and you accept a place in medicine the year after, would you be eligible for college fees? By re-starting first year do the fees come into place? And if so, what is the median level of fees which must be paid to universities here?

Thanks very much, just considering all options at present.
    I was a HPAT repeat last year and got med in UCD. Because I had done a year of a science/healthcare course I got to skip premed and go straight into 1st med therefore avoiding paying the fees as I was technically a 'second year'.

That was great. Do you mind if I ask what course had you been on?

• Advertisement

That was great. Do you mind if I ask what course had you been on?

A group of us got to skip and were doing courses the first time like pharmacy, psychology, dentistry, speech and language therapy, science, physio, bio-med, health and diesases... anything with a science base really!

It might be an idea to do leaving cert chemstry next year??

they wont accept it unless it is done in conjunction with all the other subjects though

A group of us got to skip and were doing courses the first time like pharmacy, psychology, dentistry, speech and language therapy, science, physio, bio-med, health and diesases... anything with a science base really!

So if I do a year of psychology, and then get accepted into medicine next year, i can skip pre-med and go straight into first year?

So if I do a year of psychology, and then get accepted into medicine next year, i can skip pre-med and go straight into first year?

At the discretion of the college, yes. You'd need to pass your college first year exams and have chemistry at LC level.

At the discretion of the college, yes. You'd need to pass your college first year exams and have chemistry at LC level.

Ahh, my lack of chemistry always comes back to bite me! I'm assuming you couldn't sit chemistry in isolation from other subjects?

Ahh, my lack of chemistry always comes back to bite me! I'm assuming you couldn't sit chemistry in isolation from other subjects?

Well I can only speak about what i know about 1 college, I don't know about the rest. The requirements for getting into first med without doing premed in the first place was to have chemistry. However, maybe they will accept some first year courses as a chemistry base. As I said, it is largely at the discretion of the university, so you'd have to get in touch with them :)

Well I can only speak about what i know about 1 college, I don't know about the rest. The requirements for getting into first med without doing premed in the first place was to have chemistry. However, maybe they will accept some first year courses as a chemistry base. As I said, it is largely at the discretion of the university, so you'd have to get in touch with them :)

Ok, thanks for your input. I think if I got medicine next year I would need premed anyway. I probably wouldn't be able for first year from a physics/chemistry point of view.

The person I know who got to skip premed was doing psychology in UCD and picked premed electives. She got A's in them and that's why she got to skip. If you did straight psychology I doubt you'd get to skip premed to be honest because there isn't really a science base to it.

Also in UCD a guy skipped without doing chemistry for LC but that was because he had done a year of science and had therefore done chemistry through that.

The person I know who got to skip premed was doing psychology in UCD and picked premed electives. She got A's in them and that's why she got to skip. If you did straight psychology I doubt you'd get to skip premed to be honest because there isn't really a science base to it.

Also in UCD a guy skipped without doing chemistry for LC but that was because he had done a year of science and had therefore done chemistry through that.
    I've applied to Trinity to do psychology, do they even have electives in trinity?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 AliBeAlright

hey guys new to this and was wondering from anyone with info or experience but i only got 150 in the hpat have i chance at med anywhere??

Advertisement