Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kaspa91

Hi does anybody going to UCC know when we get the timetable for the lectures? I cant seem to find it written anywhere

Ya im going to UCC aswell. I assume once we register that we get the timetable.
    We were sent a lot of stuff in todays emails but didn't see any info about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Got a call from my school, have to go out next Friday at 10 a.m. No going to the killers concert now for me!! Gutted! But not a lot I can do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

Got a call from my school, have to go out next Friday at 10 a.m. No going to the killers concert now for me!! Gutted! But not a lot I can do!!

I haven't heard anything from my school with two months since I rang asking when did they think they would have a provisional time table ready.

I know that the staff are back on the 25th but havnt heard anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Dr Crippen

Umbert0! wrote: »
    Just got a message from my school saying that I need to deliver a presentation next week on my subject area. Has anyone ever done something like this before for their placement?

I have to go to my school but not to present on anything? Did they give you something specific to present on or just the subject as a whole?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

mengele wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything from my school with two months since I rang asking when did they think they would have a provisional time table ready.

My school have been in fairly good contact to be fair.. Text messages to see if I was still doing the dip and then the meeting next Friday to get the forms signed that we need to have back to the college!we might get a timetable then or find out who we will be our mentor etc on that day. It will be a good way of seeing and meeting people from college before it actually starts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

mengele wrote: »

Wouldn't be too nervous ... I was the same but rang my school and the principal said her deputy will be back on the 25th and sending letters out then... The school itself isn't back till the following so that's when I start... Check your schools website it may be the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i have my meeting to arrange my timetable this monday.

was a nightmare last year having 4 different class groups a week but only having them one period a week. this year i am going to try take some class groups more than once a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Hi does anybody going to UCC know when we get the timetable for the lectures? I cant seem to find it written anywhere

http://timetable.ucc.ie/
    If you go to the programs option, find your course and choose weeks 1-15 you should be able to see your hours.

I'm doing the PDE this year and I have 5th years and TYs which is less than ideal since I've only taught first years before.
    I'm only a few years older than them so does anyone have any advice on how my approach with these students has to be different to the way I was with my 1st years?
    Obviously I'll have to up the discipline but anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Thundering_Sky

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    http://timetable.ucc.ie/
    If you go to the programs option, find your course and choose weeks 1-15 you should be able to see your hours.

Thanks for your help :) seems to be blank though ugh :/

Oh its come up now looks complicated haha

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭Turquoise Lagoon

Hey does anyone doing the PME in UCC know where to find a list of the elective modules? Got the registration letter today and we need to pick 10 credits worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tippy25

DCU Crowd when your picking the elective I presume you pick one that relates to our specific subjects?

yes indeed, as from my registration I could only pick one which is your teaching subject and I couldnt select for year two at all

• Registered Users Posts: 42 tippy25

Cheers Doc, suppose youre better picking your core as opposed to your secondary subject?

Yeah I didn't get an option for Next year, just this years subject. My core is History and CSPE my second subject so I chose History for this year. Strange set up.

Did anyone get an option to pick stuff for year 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Kaspa91

Hey does anyone doing the PME in UCC know where to find a list of the elective modules? Got the registration letter today and we need to pick 10 credits worth.

I've searched for the electives and found nothing but im not familiar with the ucc website.

I assume we chose an elective based on the subjects we have; I have one subject though so confused about what other classes id take!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i will be mainly teaching English this year in my second year of my dip. i did not teach any English in my first year.

was just wondering if anyone would have any general tips for teaching English for junior level ?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Sir123

Hi everyone,

Not a regular poster here but the information is great altogether. Congrats to all the successful candidates starting in September with the PME. I was wondering if you could maybe answer a few questions for me as I can't seem to find too much clarity online.

1. When doing the PME do you pick and only teach one subject. For example let's say your subjects are English and History, do you only pick one of these for teaching purposes? I saw in one university alright that you only pick one curricular subject, but is it the same for all universities?

2. In relation to modules etc, what kinda modules would PME students pick? In essence, do you still study History and/or English as part of the PME like you did for your undergraduate?

3. Is a 2.1 degree necessary for the PME and will an employer dismiss you if you haven't got a 2.1 or higher? I'm in my final year now and somewhat borderline (in the discretionary band atm) for a 2.1 and I hope to achieve this next year. I know for the PAC this year that 41 points were needed which was a near 2.1. Can I ask if your full third year is taken into account of just the Summer semester of third year? Also let's say you had 40 points and you needed 41, would you be at a disadvantage and not get a place. I know it's likely but how, does it work?

I know there are a lot of questions here and I'm sorry if they have been repeated on here before, which I'm sure they have. For even present and past students with knowledge of the PME, I'd really appreciate any information from ye.

Thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Hello there,

I just have a question, mainly because my parents are bugging me to look into this now rather than later.

I wish to apply for the PME in NUIG and I am in my final year of university. I have looked at the application and can see that it asks about the degree you already have. When applying, I won't be finished yet, is it alright to still give my undergraduate details and an up to date transcript of my exam results?

Also, am I right in thinking that these are the following documents I will need to apply with:

500 word personal statement
    Two references
    Transcript and possibly qualifications? (Which I won't have at time of application..)
    Birth Cert

My main concern is applying whilst still in uni.

Thanks for the help.

Just wondering if people doing BEd or PME are getting paid for doing supervision of classes when a teacher is out? I'm not in my school but the rest of my class are getting paid in their schools. I'm presuming its up to the schools but wanted to check to see if I was entitled to anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 sebyrne1

Hi,

I'm sorry to post this here but just a quick question. I've been hearing two sides.

Can you teach the third subject you take in your forst year of undergrad up to Junior Cert level on qualification as a teacher?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

sebyrne1 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm sorry to post this here but just a quick question. I've been hearing two sides.

Can you teach the third subject you take in your first year of undergrad up to Junior Cert level on qualification as a teacher?

Thanks.

You are only recognised to teach the subjects you took to degree level on completion of the PME. Having said that, in reality a principal can ask you to teach any subject at all if you are willing to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 raemie24

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Just wondering if people doing BEd or PME are getting paid for doing supervision of classes when a teacher is out? I'm not in my school but the rest of my class are getting paid in their schools. I'm presuming its up to the schools but wanted to check to see if I was entitled to anything.

I qualified this year, did the PDE last year and got paid for subbing but its up to the school. Many of my friends didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Hi,
    I am a third year undergraduate applying for the Professional Masters in Education and I have just submitted my online application. It says that I need to send them degree transcripts, will printing off my results from my student account be sufficient because they'll be receiving my degree transcripts when I graduate?

Nicole. wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am a third year undergraduate applying for the Professional Masters in Education and I have just submitted my online application. It says that I need to send them degree transcripts, will printing off my results from my student account be sufficient because they'll be receiving my degree transcripts when I graduate?

Sorry I can't answer your question but I am also applying and had a question for you!

What forms did you give in with it?

AND

for the subject declaration form, were you able to put one of the same module in separate categories? (For example, a module you did drama in that also had fiction in too in two different categories)

Sorry for the questions...I hope this is okay!

Aragneer wrote: »
    Sorry I can't answer your question but I am also applying and had a question for you!

What forms did you give in with it?

AND

for the subject declaration form, were you able to put one of the same module in separate categories? (For example, a module you did drama in that also had fiction in too in two different categories)

Sorry for the questions...I hope this is okay!

Well I haven't sent it away yet. I'm going to college on Monday to see what they can provide me with because it actually says on one of their pages that it could be a transcript OR a Diploma Supplement but I will be trying to get the proper transcripts.

The PAC website says they want transcripts, subject declaration, there's a checklist document, if you did any extra qualifications which you want counted/ work experience of a year or over etc you must supply documentation about that.

With regard to modules I would not be certain about that, you could ring PAC on Monday. I'm ringing them on Monday to find out about the transcripts confusion. I know what you mean for English because I am also studying English and some of my modules are like that but the way I picked my modules I don't need to put them in multiple categories e.g. I did my seminar in fiction last year, I am doing one in poetry this year etc.

For me, I'll just be sending my transcripts and a diploma supplement (if I can get the transcripts in time, otherwise I'll just have to send a diploma supplement and a letter of my results for each year etc). Then the subject declaration sheets and the checklist document.

Nicole. wrote: »
    Well I haven't sent it away yet. I'm going to college on Monday to see what they can provide me with because it actually says on one of their pages that it could be a transcript OR a Diploma Supplement but I will be trying to get the proper transcripts.

The PAC website says they want transcripts, subject declaration, there's a checklist document, if you did any extra qualifications which you want counted/ work experience of a year or over etc you must supply documentation about that.

With regard to modules I would not be certain about that, you could ring PAC on Monday. I'm ringing them on Monday to find out about the transcripts confusion. I know what you mean for English because I am also studying English and some of my modules are like that but the way I picked my modules I don't need to put them in multiple categories e.g. I did my seminar in fiction last year, I am doing one in poetry this year etc.

For me, I'll just be sending my transcripts and a diploma supplement (if I can get the transcripts in time, otherwise I'll just have to send a diploma supplement and a letter of my results for each year etc). Then the subject declaration sheets and the checklist document.

That's great, thanks very much! I will have a look into it. I will probably phone on Monday and see what I need. Thank you!

Good luck with your application and working it all out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

sebyrne1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can you teach the third subject you take in your forst year of undergrad up to Junior Cert level on qualification as a teacher?

Thanks.

That's a common enough misconception ... usually because of the science/sphe/cspe JC subjects which finish in third year..

So basically ... no.. you must be qualified in the subject you are teaching in to be registered with the teaching council.. i.e. qualified up to 3 years of study.

But...

If you have your other 2 final year subjects and you get a job in a school then basically they may ask you to teach whatever subject they want (if they can;t find ANY other teacher and you are the last resort)... but that seems to be the case less and less with the TC cracking down and folk kicking up a fuss about unqualified maths teachers teaching maths etc.

In saying that .. the teacher training colleges do let a few slip through the net who tkae one of their subjects as a 1st year degree subject... doesn;t mean that the TC will register you with that subject though.

Hi,

Is anyone doing this course at present? If so, could you give me some feedback about it?

1. How many people are doing the course?

2. What are the class sizes like for the modules?

3. Is the course well organised?

4. Is there a lot of support available for students if they are finding things difficult?

5. Is it more demanding than your undergraduate degree?

6. Are the assignments well spread out?

7. Are you given enough notice about assignments due?

8. Do you find the course interesting and useful for entering teaching as a profession?

9. Were you prepared for placement?

10. How do you find doing placement and college at the same time?

11. What is your timetable like?

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

Hi all,

I recently finished a Masters in the area of audio recording/production. My career aim is to move into teaching, but things have changed in the 7 years since I did my undergraduate and postgraduate studies.

I have just started a Job Bridge position in a college of further education, and I am getting the required information together as I meet new people but this is sometimes slow so, I was hoping you could give me a hand, so I have a list of questions.

From what I am told, while I was out of Ireland, the requirement for a H.Dip. for teaching in colleges of FE came into place.

- I understand that I need one of those, and I have to be registered with the teaching council. Does that have to be in that order?

- Do I have any distance learning options available to me which would allow me to do the Job Bridge and get the majority of the H.Dip. complete?

- Are the courses generic by way of them allowing people with any background do them or would I need to look for a specific kind?

- Out of curiosity, would a similar UK qualification be transferable to Ireland?

- A staff member told me that at the end of this process, I may be eligible to teach across Europe but that he would have to confirm. Is this the case?

- Would there be any additional qualifications which I would need if I wanted to move into University teaching in Ireland, somewhere down the line?

- In the UK, I notice that many job postings say that they would prefer people who have a PGCE, but would accept people who are willing to work towards one. If a college of FE job came up next September and I had started or was about to start a H.Dip., would I be eligible?

A lot of questions!

Thanks for any help you can give

Advertisement