Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

multimate wrote: »
    hi! what is the salary of a new teacher? and do you get paid more if you teach more than 1 subject? thanks

For a new teacher, the starting salary is €27,814 for a full 22 hour contract (which are like hens teeth to find).

See here: http://www.tui.ie/pay-and-conditions/salary-scales-.1578.html

No you don't get paid more if you teach more than one subject. It will make you more employable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sara3305

has anyone else aplied for a susi grant? I got rejected because my "household" income was to high. .. I live with my mum but I'm nearly 27, she certainly is not supporting me! I pay her rent for god sake! plus once i start the course I won't be working at all! Just seems ridiculous. anyone else have similar experiences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RoySheehan

Sara3305 wrote: »
    has anyone else aplied for a susi grant? I got rejected because my "household" income was to high. .. I live with my mum but I'm nearly 27, she certainly is not supporting me! I pay her rent for god sake! plus once i start the course I won't be working at all! Just seems ridiculous. anyone else have similar experiences?

I was told something similar. My letter said that my household income was around 30,000 euro more than what it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bellsers

username84 wrote: »
    I have my interview for this course next week. It has been MANY years since I finished my degree and was wondering about the depth of knowledge I need to show in my subjects?

I fear a week of cramming and google ahead :confused:

Thanks!

Hi Username84,

Just wondering how your interview went? I have mine next week and was wondering if you have any tips for me??

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Has anyone received any info from Maynooth yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭username84

bellsers wrote: »
    Hi Username84,

Just wondering how your interview went? I have mine next week and was wondering if you have any tips for me??

It was long! I IMMEDIATELY forgot any questions they asked me which is very unhelpful!

Two interviews - very nice people. Subject interview is more general, no specifics really, about how you incorporate your subjects into the class room, show that you have a love of the subjects

Then the more general interview had a lot to do with your ability to actually do the course - time constraints and placements. They asked me how I'd go about getting placement in a school and it THREW me. I'd never thought of this before!

To be honest I'm not hopeful. I'm not sure if I can afford it this year so i didn't do as mush study and research as much as when I apply next time! I'd intended to not appy at all until next year to I half arsed it. Bad I know!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bellsers

Not at all.......sure at least you know what to expect for the next time if you are unsuccessful this time!!

I think I may have my teaching practice sorted, I am just awaiting confirmation so that should help hopefully! Just trying to go through the curriculum for my subjects now and do as much research as I can!

Best of luck with the future and thanks so much for getting back to me that was so helpful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭username84

bellsers wrote: »
    Not at all.......sure at least you know what to expect for the next time if you are unsuccessful this time!!

I think I may have my teaching practice sorted, I am just awaiting confirmation so that should help hopefully! Just trying to go through the curriculum for my subjects now and do as much research as I can!

Best of luck with the future and thanks so much for getting back to me that was so helpful :D

Sounds perfect! Oh and BOTH interviews asked about how you would incorporate technology into the classroom!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wardf

Hi is anyone starting the PME in Trinity? I had some difficulties with logging into blackboard. They said it should be sorted next week. I seen it says all the introduction material has been uploaded already? Can anyone tell me what is included in it? What date are we actually due to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Superdude1234

Hi, I am starting the PME this year and I am 20 years old. I am just wondering are the majority of students in the PME in their 20s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 ChloeCC

Hi guys, I also have my interview next week. Been in Abu Dhabi the past two years teaching so im a bit freaked about the subject knowledge part of the interview also. In the general interview did they ask about things like inclusion, ITC, assessment for learning, collaborative learning and differentiation? Any tips would be great..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Hi, I am starting the PME this year and I am 20 years old. I am just wondering are the majority of students in the PME in their 20s?

The vast majority will be a few years older than 20 and there will probably be some close to or above 40. 20 is very young. Average is probably mid to late 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Carton11

I was wondering that too, I'm 21 but I look young for my age so a bit apprehensive about that

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭pancake_tuesday

Carton11 wrote: »
    I was wondering that too, I'm 21 but I look young for my age so a bit apprehensive about that

Same. Started growing a beard since Christmas in preparation

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭liverpool lad

Has anyone any information for NUIG for the PME? like fees? or any sort of information on what the hours are like for college, for the weeks we are in college? I know I have to go out to my school before the start of term to meet with the other students there, it is 3 other past students too, and for a bit of a staff meeting I think!

Anyone with info?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hugz88

Hi guys, how did you get on? I had my interview on the 11th, just wondering did any of you find out if you were accepted yet?

Hugz88 wrote: »
    Hi guys, how did you get on? I had my interview on the 11th, just wondering did any of you find out if you were accepted yet?

Hi, I had mine yesterday! Haven't heard anything but wouldn't expect to the next day! One of my mates doing primary heard three or four days later. Don't really know what's going on!

Thanks ChloeCC! They said it can be up to ten working days but it's been 5 for me and heard nothing yet, so maybe not good news! How did you find it? What are your subjects?

Hugz88 wrote: »
    Thanks ChloeCC! They said it can be up to ten working days but it's been 5 for me and heard nothing yet, so maybe not good news! How did you find it? What are your subjects?

English and history, found the subject knowledge part of the interview very tough so I'm not very confident about it to be honest! Got asked a few specific questions that really threw me so I was kinda shook for the rest of it! how'd you get on?

Same as myself, I had my subject one first, thought it was tough as well, wasn't happy with it at all! But the other part was fine. So fingers crossed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 tippy25

Do Postgrads have to pay the Student Contribution as well? €2750or whatever it comes to now?

tippy25 wrote: »
    Do Postgrads have to pay the Student Contribution as well? €2750or whatever it comes to now?

No that's undergrads only :)

Is it too early to contact my placement school to find out when I'm back ?
    Would I be better off to leave them contact me ?
    My job are just looking for an indication of the date 😕

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Schools will be re-opening the week of the 25th August - some on the Monday, more on the Tuesday and Wednesday. Most will have children in by the Wednesday and be operating as normal from the Thursday or Friday.

spurious wrote: »
    Schools will be re-opening the week of the 25th August - some on the Monday, more on the Tuesday and Wednesday. Most will have children in by the Wednesday and be operating as normal from the Thursday or Friday.

Great thanks for the info but I know some people are being brought in the week before to get to know everything ... Presuming you'd suggest waiting for them to get in touch ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭compgeek

Has anyone any information for NUIG for the PME? like fees? or any sort of information on what the hours are like for college, for the weeks we are in college? I know I have to go out to my school before the start of term to meet with the other students there, it is 3 other past students too, and for a bit of a staff meeting I think!

Anyone with info?

Hi Liverpool Lad,

I have just completed the PDE in NUIG, although, you will now be doing the 2 year PME.

Information is available here: http://www.nuigalway.ie/education/ite/pme/pme.html

According to NUIGs website, the fees are: "€4,495 p.a. 2014/15 (inclusive of Levy)", this information can be found on this page: http://www.nuigalway.ie/student-fees...uate-fees/#art

If I can be of any other assistance, please PM me.

CompGeek.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Great thanks for the info but I know some people are being brought in the week before to get to know everything ... Presuming you'd suggest waiting for them to get in touch ? :)

Yes as I would say very VERY few teachers are going in officially earlier than the 25th. Things are bad enough without going back before you have to.

spurious wrote: »
    Yes as I would say very VERY few teachers are going in officially earlier than the 25th. Things are bad enough without going back before you have to.

Thanks a million! :)

Hey Chloe, just wondering did you hear back yet?

• Advertisement

No, haven't heard a thing how about you?

Advertisement