Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rain Risk Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Torrential in Clare now... Not woken by any thunder or lightning though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Hasn't been too bad in West Dublin. Very windy but nothing extraordinary on the rain front yet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wet and windy (no surprise! :)). 11.7mm so far (since yesterday).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

12 and 24hr rainfall totals up to 7am this morning

12hr
    126659.gif

24hr
    126660.gif

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Very light figures there for Dublin Su? I've recorded 10.2mm in the 24hrs up to 0700.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

Damn it, i fell asleep! Was there any lightning in cork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

46.2mm (47.4mm on La Crosse gauge) so far since midnight here and still raining, if at a more moderate pace than earlier.

Stats from Davis Pro: (up to 7.35am)

Rain Rate (mm/ph) since last night:

126663.jpg

Weatherlink's "climatological summary':
    126664.jpg

More rain recorded here since midnight than the whole of August last...

Nice one!!! ;)

Edit. more stats! (imby I know..)

15 min rainfall accumulation graph for here from midnight up to 8.30am (non running)

126666.jpg

Highest 15min fall of 6.60 mm occurred between 3.15am and 3.30am.
    Highest hourly fall occured between 3.00am and 4.00am which amounted to an impressive 18.79 mm

Daily total now up to 48.3mm, which is all the more impressive (to me anyway :o) since all but 0.3mm of that total fell in the 6 hrs between 3.00am and 9.00am.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Low and behold the sun is trying to come out here, could be a nice day after all that rain, thunder and wind last night? I notice the garden furniture has decided to move itself to the other side of the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

The forecasts seem to give continuous rain for the southeast for the day but from looking at the radar- it would appear the the rain will move north of wexford/wicklow sometime soon. Is there more on the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Very light figures there for Dublin Su? I've recorded 10.2mm in the 24hrs up to 0700.

That's what the 06UTC SYNOP reports gave, 0.6mm for Casement and 2.6mm for Dublin Airport (though report below shows 2.0mm). It's very possible you got locally enhance rainfall from the nearby mountains to your south.

Casement
    [SIZE=-1]AAXX 06061 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]03967 11359 71308 10150 20135 39907 40017 56018 69962 76165 8162/ 333 20148 31013 55018 81709 87459=[/SIZE]

Dublin Airport
    [SIZE=-1]AAXX 06061 [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]03969 11562 81307 10145 20128 39927 40028 58011 60022 76065 8353/ 333 20144 31013 55000 83622 87360=[/SIZE]

• Advertisement

Su Campu wrote: »
    That's what the 06UTC SYNOP reports gave, 0.6mm for Casement and 2.6mm for Dublin Airport (though report below shows 2.0mm). It's very possible you got locally enhance rainfall from the nearby mountains to your south.

Obviously that's the case. Went to Malahide yesterday at lunchtime. Left a drizzly Rathfarnham and once I got to Tallaght on the M50 it was dry all the way. On the way back, in the afternoon, it was dry most of the way until I got back to a rainy Rathfarnham!

Total here now 15.3mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

For those wondering about the airmass sat pic,here's a guide.

126670.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's turning into a sunny morning West of Galway & very calm after the pounding last night. Yr are showing rain all day for Galway but the BBC & ME radar suggest that it will be dry here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

IMC042 wrote: »
    Damn it, i fell asleep! Was there any lightning in cork?

according to friends who told me via txt that i was missing a great thunderstorm in cork. :rolleyes: hello wasnt missing anything cause had some action down in youghal too. although the caravan site is currently flooded all over the gaff:eek:

calm here in youghal, although theres a lot of heavy cloud on the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

dexter647 wrote: »
    Jammy feckers:):)

I did not see any lightening, but sat signal faded in an out several times. I must be deaf as I heard nothing in Cork last night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

35.5mm here since 8pm last night. Just light rain at the moment.

Woken up in south wicklow by overnight thunder but slumbered back asleep quickly with the black out curtains pulled.
    Very heavy rain crashing down at the time and earlier.
    Quite a lot of standing water around this morning.
    I've no idea of the rainfall amount but it's probably well over an inch going on experience of what that looks like and possibly closer to 2.

Dry now though and a bit brighter :)

Updated Met Eireann warning:

Weather Warning

Issued at 06 September 2010 - 09:29

Rainfall Warning Update
    Further heavy or thundery downpours in many areas today. Falls of 30 to 50mm likely in places.
    Valid until 24:00 hours Monday.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    according to friends who told me via txt that i was missing a great thunderstorm in cork. :rolleyes:

God damn it! Excuse the blasphamy.

Why do we always have these blustery messy storms that are more depressing than exciting. I want to see a huge green american style supercell and i want it now! :)

Accu Weather indicates a heavy risk of thunderstorms for the south all day today and estofex apparently cant rule out the possibility of a weak / brief tornado.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

"only" 16mm of rain in Sligo so far. We got away with fairly light rain for most of yesterday. As far as Connaught is concerned Mayo and Galway have borne the brunt of this rain event. Some impressive totals are likely for Claremorris and Knock Airport.

• Advertisement

There is a real heavy pulse of rain heading towards Devon and Cornwall that may skirt with the SE of Ireland bringing some thunder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

pauldry wrote: »
    Some impressive totals are likely for Claremorris and Knock Airport.
    Knock 59mm, Claremorris 40mm since midnight to 10am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its like everything that we should have got in the summer is now being delivered late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

blustery hazy rain again,nothing major to report over night,certinly no rain heavy enough to wake any1,got up at 5 to feed baby&was hazy rain then aswell,think thats the theme for here "hazy":(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Luckily I retrieved my rain gauge from under the shrubbery before last night's event. 32mm in the last 24hrs and 26mm of that fell between midnight and 8AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Guys you always make the weather interesting :) I keep looking out to see changes and check on here for updates
    In leixlip it blustery and raining I hope the thunder and very heavy rain holds of till all the kids are safely home from school

Fionagus wrote: »
    Luckily I retrieved my rain gauge from under the shrubbery before last night's event. 32mm in the last 24hrs and 26mm of that fell between midnight and 8AM.

Powerful stats Fiona, it's fantastic to have some rainfall stats from Galway City at last!!! :)

Moycullen registered 37.0mm (I presume since midnight), so defo a wet one across city and county last night.

Mothman wrote:

Mothman, do you have any recent figures for Mullingar? as judging by the rainfall sequence for the last 12 hrs that part of the country seemed to get a fair whack from this front as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sliabh beagh

33.6mm of rain so far in monaghan town

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

we had some serious rain last night in castlebar it even woke we me up.which is mad cos aim not a light sleeper id ususally sleep through any thing.are we sapose to get more of the same today??

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote: »

more to come too. Im based near both Claremorris and Knock today and rain stopped but its back again

Advertisement