Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rain Risk Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Have a quick look at this... and whats currently at the bottom of the radar heading our way...
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Have a quick look at this... and whats currently at the bottom of the radar heading our way...

Wow some heavy stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

yeah i was looking at that a few minutes ago. it seems those in the south east are going to get a deluge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i bet you'll change your mind after a week of wet weather:p

well we've had a summer of lovely calm weather in youghal, need some decent rain to batter off the caravan for a change. just waiting for some lightening and thunder.:D going home tomorrow anyway.

plenty of rain in youghal. was having a conversation with my mum, couldnt hear her talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

60 or so viewers on the weather forum at midnight on Sunday, not a bad tally. It's been foggy for most of the day and now is no exception but I think there's heavy but drizzly rain outside currently.

• Advertisement

woooohooo lightening here in youghal:D cant hear any thunder, but then again the wind is howling like mad i'm not surprized

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Have updated the Boards forecast thread to indicate potential for 30-50 mms of rain on (calendar) Monday in southeast counties as well as Waterford. For an estimate of how much more rain to expect in the next 24 hours, on top of what's already fallen, take this rough guide, 30-50 mms southeast tapering off to 20-40 mms northwest, then as little as 10-20 mms in Kerry and northeast Ulster, so it's a case of the heavier rainfalls being likely in a diagonal stretch from southeast to northwest but the maximum amounts will probably be on higher ground facing east or south in Wicklow, Wexford, Dublin and any other counties that have hills in the path of this heavy rain.

I don't know how many recording stations there might be on these slopes but a local maximum of 75 mms is possible somewhere about half-way up the slopes of the higher mountains. This could lead to some flash flooding of streams flowing out of the Wicklow and south Dublin mountains in particular.

Some embedded thunderstorms in this rain may provide even more reason for the forum to stay active overnight, I would say watch for this to develop between 0200 and 0600h. Dublin might be right in the path of the thunder and lightning, certainly Wexford and Wicklow, probably also Carlow, Kilkenny and Laois.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Wind currently blasting from a Southerly direction. Rain is pretty heavy here at the moment, roads starting to fill with water.......

I thought that the weather system is due to cross us from a South-Westerly direction (Eg. Co Kerry - Co Louth)?

However looking on the rainfall radar it appears to be dead straight from Cork - Athlone - Cavan!!:confused:

Have updated the Boards forecast thread to indicate potential for 30-50 mms of rain on (calendar) Monday in southeast counties as well as Waterford. For an estimate of how much more rain to expect in the next 24 hours, on top of what's already fallen, take this rough guide, 30-50 mms southeast tapering off to 20-40 mms northwest, then as little as 10-20 mms in Kerry and northeast Ulster, so it's a case of the heavier rainfalls being likely in a diagonal stretch from southeast to northwest but the maximum amounts will probably be on higher ground facing east or south in Wicklow, Wexford, Dublin and any other counties that have hills in the path of this heavy rain.

I don't know how many recording stations there might be on these slopes but a local maximum of 75 mms is possible somewhere about half-way up the slopes of the higher mountains. This could lead to some flash flooding of streams flowing out of the Wicklow and south Dublin mountains in particular.

Some embedded thunderstorms in this rain may provide even more reason for the forum to stay active overnight, I would say watch for this to develop between 0200 and 0600h. Dublin might be right in the path of the thunder and lightning, certainly Wexford and Wicklow, probably also Carlow, Kilkenny and Laois.

by any chance does that include youghal, ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Lightning in cork for the last half hour. Sat signal gone too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

mawk wrote: »
    Lightning in cork for the last half hour. Sat signal gone too

Jammy feckers:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

so it's a case of the heavier rainfalls being likely in a diagonal stretch from southeast to northwest but the maximum amounts will probably be on higher ground facing east or south in Wicklow, Wexford, Dublin and any other counties that have hills in the path of this heavy rain.

The Greystones wet watch may stay up for this.... I'm wondering will it fill my freshly emptied water butt..

Bit of T & L would be great too...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'm afraid to go to bed in case i miss any action!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

im in west cork and i havent seen or heard a thing, besides the wind and rain that is! been lookin out the window! :(

i'm beginning to think i was seeing things now.:confused: i'm up for night to watch this.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i'm beginning to think i was seeing things now.:confused: i'm up for night to watch this.

i want to wait and see what happens but my eyes are getting heavy, lol! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

Rain is hopping off the stones here in East Limerick, been hammering down for well over an hour following a damp evening of drizzly showers.

No sign of lightning yet but I'm afraid there will be floods in the am if this continues.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Lashing down again here, sat signal lost again.

Very heavy stuff with loss of sat signal for a while but back now so i can see Murray lose lol :D

I take it you enjoyed that finale so!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

Wind has just got up here in the last hour, 30mph odd
    spots of rain but nowt to talk about,

will have to see what the morning brings if it gets this far,
    but would think it would have blown its self out by then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭pauldry

Heavy rain just started here. The highest I see on the Met stations is 13.2mm for the hour in Roches Point but ooodles to come yet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Not long back from Croker, horrible night for driving - but it cant dampen the spirit! A few bonfires were ablaze along the road even with the rain. :D

In anycase, there is now localized flooding across North Tipperary.

lord lucan wrote: »
    I take it you enjoyed that finale so!:D

Sure did :D not a fan ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

Very heavy rain in Tipp Town, so bad my Sky tv has frozen,,,

Heaviest we have had so far now, should have some huge amounts from the rain gauge in the morning :)

Sure did :D not a fan ;)

I can't stand him. The sport element for me is watching for who'll put him out!:p

Back on topic,nothing much happening here,windy with some light rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The real risk of flooding will be, most likely, from 3am onward. Some very intense downpours arriving in the South East in particular and the rain really pepping up in other areas where there has already been a good amount. The far west will have heavy showers aswell but should be drier overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The rainfall that really has me concerned is on the UK radar just west of the Scilly Isles around 7-8W at 2330z (0030 BST) -- showing torrential on the scale there, so when this arrives in the southeast around 0200h I think the rainfall rates there will double or triple from what they have been earlier. Could easily see 10 mms an hour from that band and there are sferics showing on meteociel all along this stationary frontal band.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Aye, some serious stuff on radar atm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

This thread reminds me of the much awaited snowfall of last January, almost up there with waiting for Santa as a kid!

Advertisement