Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rain Risk Sunday Night/Monday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

Beautiful looking skies around cork at the moment. Very low cloud base and towering broken cumulus mediocris / congestus scattered across the sky.

If it doesn't happen today it never will! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Very heavy rain here in wexford town all morning, Getting worse as the day progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Very dark and very very overcast here in Thurles.

Looking east and south, I can see rain leden clouds streaming by me.
    Out to the west, the sky is full of dark clouds also.

Dry at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The South of England/Wales is going to take a direct hit some nasty looking stuf coming in

projection

images.aspx?jaar=-3&voor=&soort=exp&c=&n=&tijdid=201096143

Eh that doesn't work but the red bits are hiting Cornwall, Devon and Hampshire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

43.1mm here so far since midnight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

46.8mm since 8pm last night :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Powerful stats Fiona, it's fantastic to have some rainfall stats from Galway City at last!!! :)

Moycullen registered 37.0mm (I presume since midnight), so defo a wet one across city and county last night.

My weather station's been sadly neglected for the last year or so unfortunately :( Hopefullyover the next few weeks I'll get a chance to re-position it and set up the software properly.

All but 2.8mm of the total from Moycullen fell between 1AM and 8AM - impressive stuff!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

24hr rainfall to 1pm today (Oak Park still not reporting synoptic rainfall totals on the map, but it had 11mms in 6hrs from 7am-1pm)

126697.gif

1 Connaught Airport (Ireland) 63.8 mm
    2 Mullingar (Ireland) 52.6 mm
    3 Johnstown Castle (Ireland) 47.0 mm
    4 Claremorris (Ireland) 44.0 mm
    5 Valentia Observatory (Ireland) 31.7 mm
    6 Gurteen (Ireland) 19.3 mm
    7 Cork Airport (Ireland) 16.0 mm
    8 Shannon Airport (Ireland) 14.1 mm
    9 Malin Head (Ireland) 14.0 mm
    10 Belmullet (Ireland) 14.0 mm
    11 Sherkin Island (Ireland) 13.2 mm
    12 Dublin Airport (Ireland) 6.6 mm
    13 Casement Aerodrome (Ireland) 2.6 mm

Really pelting it down here since about 1030 after a lull of an hour from the overnight downpours.
    Absolutely lashing at the moment [wicklow/wexford border]
    It was windy earlier with it,making it even more unpleasant,but just a bit of a breeze with it now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Casement really must be in a rain shadow! 24 hour total here of 23.7mm. With SE wind, I am just east (enough) of the main Dublin/Wicklow mountains to be getting more rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Rain, rain, go away
    Come again another day
    :mad:

Looking at the radar a lot of Dublin is away from the south and north..looks like a classic rain shadow/absorption effect.
    Still teaming it down here.
    I'm glad I am not recording it as given the rate it's been coming down since yesterday and over night especially and the lakes appearing in the fields,it is not pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

24mm since midnight !
    Ive the heating on trying to dry the shorts & tshirts to head to the sun !

Nuf said !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Mothman, do you have any recent figures for Mullingar? as judging by the rainfall sequence for the last 12 hrs that part of the country seemed to get a fair whack from this front as well. :)

Click Met Stations in the table here
    and then click the station name for the past 24hrs data.
    Each of the rain totals are for the hour whereas the rain total for the IWN stations are totals since midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm amazed at the rainfall totals for Dublin's met stations. 25 miles north in Drogheda, I can assure anyone that far more than 7mm of rain has fallen in the past 24 hours.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

18.6mm in the last hour alone at Johnstown Castle! :eek:

Rain heavier and more persistant here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Mothman wrote: »
    Each of the rain totals are for the hour whereas the rain total for the IWN stations are totals since midnight.

Cheers MM, never spotted that feature before. Well handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

The rain eased off earlier but is back again and is pretty heavy here in the NW

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Now up to 52mm here, no sign of it letting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Cheers MM, never spotted that feature before. Well handy!

Sligtly confused,

Is the rainfall for the met stations only hourly and the IWN stations for the day???

Coz I cant get totals for the met stations. When I try to move to the name the station disappears.

Poor IWN newbie. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

pauldry wrote: »
    Sligtly confused,

Is the rainfall for the met stations only hourly and the IWN stations for the day???

Coz I cant get totals for the met stations. When I try to move to the name the station disappears.

IWN stations have a running total over a 24hr period while MET stations give an hourly total.
    Just click on the station you want to look at and a seperate window will open with the data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

pauldry wrote: »
    Sligtly confused,

Just go to the list at the bottom of the page, click on the 'Met Stations' tab, then click on any particular station to get the stats. This feature could put Ogimet in the shade!

Edit: beat me to it Fiona!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Mothman wrote: »

Its reporting rainfall today Durrow 84 mm, Geashill 109mm...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

heavy rain here in dublin for past hour or so back yard like a river :D

Anything to get out of editing this chapter!! This thesis will be the death of me :(

Did you get sorted pauldry??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It seems Belmullet had very little rain throughout. Claremorris recorded 30 mm between 4- 6 am. Which seems about right because it was bucketing down here at 6 am.

carlmwan wrote: »
    heavy rain here in dublin for past hour or so back yard like a river :D

I think rain shadow is gone from here! 6.9mm in the last hour. 'Event' total of 31.8mm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0906/breaking19.html
    Motorists have been urged to exercise caution when driving today following overnight rain which has left some roads flooded.

Drivers leaving the Electric Picnic car-park in Stradbally, Co Laois following the weekend's festival experienced delays of up to an hour earlier today due to heavy flooding at the site.

However, AA Roadwatch said that delays have eased and that most festival-goes had now left the area.

Drivers were warned there is a lot of surface water on the Athy to Stradbally road. However, there are no major delays for motorists once they get on the M7 Dublin to Limerick road or on the M8 Dublin to Cork road.

A Code Orange flood warning has been issued for the Greystones area of Co Wicklow. In addition, the Enniskerry/Kilternan road is blocked due to a fallen tree and drivers are advised to take an alternative route.

In Co Westmeath, drivers are advised that the N52 Mullingar/Ardee road is currently closed between Clonmellon and Delvin following an earlier crash. There are reports of bad flooding in many secondary routes in the area.

Motorists in Co Galway are urged to continue to watch out for surface water on the Headford Road.

In Co Offaly, the local road between Kinnitty and Knockbarron Cross has reopened following flooding at Drumcullen bridge.

Meanwhile, a fuel spill has been reported on the N20 Limerick to Cork Road all the way from Charleville to Mallow.

Met Éireann said heavy rain or thundery showers will persist throughout the day in Leinster, Connacht and Ulster. Rainfall totals of 25 to 40mm are forecast with the highest volumes expected in eastern counties. It will be brighter in Munster, with some sunny spell. However there will be thundery showers at times in some parts of Munster this afternoon.

Met Éireann has issued a warning that southeasterly gales with continue for a time today on Irish coastal waters from Malin Head to Howth head and the Irish Sea.

Currently, all planes and ferries are operating as normal.

All parts of the country can expect wet weather for the rest of the week and over the weekend with low pressure systems continuing to move in across Ireland from the Atlantic.

Met Éireann says that while there will be some sunny intervals, showers will occur each day with the risk of some heavy, thundery downpours.

Weekly rainfall amounts are forecast to between 30 to 70mm; equivalent to between one and a half and up to two and a half times the average. Maximum temperatures will generally be between 15 and 18 degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

DominoDub wrote: »

Showers ?? Non stop deluge more like it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Just go to the list at the bottom of the page, click on the 'Met Stations' tab, then click on any particular station to get the stats. This feature could put Ogimet in the shade!

THANKS DE and FIONA

Advertisement