Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick could have new single authority in place by 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The same Fianna Fail who are shutting down Shannon airport and Ennis General hospital...

You'd need to be a low grade idiot to vote for them in the Midwest, imo, even if it's off-topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 PSCS

The same Fianna Fail who are shutting down Shannon airport and Ennis General hospital...

You'd need to be a low grade idiot to vote for them in the Midwest, imo, even if it's off-topic.

Kinda off the topic but valid at the same time Amazo. Posted it for info re debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

osarusan wrote: »
    But seeing as they already are for, all intents and purposes, citizens of Limerick, and most already come to Limerick for education, work and shopping, what exactly will be the benefits of repositioning an invisible boundary? What will change, apart from the actual moving of the invisible boundary, which makes moving that boundary important?

Because it gives a single authority the opertunity to cater for the whole.

In Limerick we pay higher rates.
    Why?
    Because areas have been deliberitly built up around Limerick city to take advantage of Limerick city, but not to have to give back so to speak.
    For decades these areas of the county and Clare have been doing this.

In the animal kindom it would be called a parasite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

PSCS wrote: »
    Kinda off the topic but valid at the same time Amazo. Posted it for info re debate.

I don't really see what it adds to the debate? Dooley is another who gives the impression that he has ignored the report.

It's all well and good Clare politicians not wanting the extension, but Clare itself has a lot to gain from a successful city in the Midwest. Limerick City already provides some services for Westbury (fire etc).

We need to move the debate away from the name of the place and towards the future of the region.

The report, at it's most basic, says the Midwest is badly run and needs a strong city as a focal point. For the entire region to prosper, this city needs to be enlarged and improved.

Now, it happens this city is called Limerick city so people are getting hung up on the name, rather than the message. It doesn't matter, imo, about names, what matters is the future of the Midwest region. This Clare bit is an unwelcome distraction from the real debate, where should this region be, economically, socially, and politically, in 25 or 50 years?

The politicians will stoke up the fear to keep the status quo, but where were Fianna Fail when Shannon was getting cuts? Whether it's Dooley or O'Dea, Fianna Fail have failed the entire Midwest, imo.

Enough of the negativity from Clare people, why don't they put forward some ideas about how the entire region can grow, if they are intent on rejecting this report?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

Clare Co. Co. have not taken over the running of Westbury. It is not in their remit to carry out resurfacing/grass cutting/tree pruning. This is the responsibility or both McInerney Homes & Chieftain Construction.
    Willie O'Dea at the time was minister for Defence and the area in question forms part of his constituency. Why would he not use his influence. If I remember correctly, Pascal , a Clare Co. Councillor spent night and day in the area, while Parteen St. Nicholas had 2/3 days of residents arriving for sandbags, paid for and supplied by the Gaa Club themselves.

[/I]

Exactly, the have refused to take over an estate which is now in existence almost 20 years I think that says it all.

I read that article about Pascal, gave myself and my partner a good giggle at the time. My partner, a soldier, was actually there day and night and Pascal actually spent about 6 hours over a 2 day period helping out. The sand was donated and delivered to the GAA club, where the army filled the bags. I'm not saying the GAA didn't get there hands on some but think you're giving yourselves a bit too much credit there.
    ]

"A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, irrationality, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs. The predominant usage in modern American English refers to persons hostile to those of differing race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, various mental disorders, or religion." - Are you actually Mad?? You believe CABE are Bigots??? CABE held a peaceful protest to maintain the Status Quo and you use the word bigot. You either have no understanding of the word or you my friend are the one scaremongering!

Well done you, you can use a dictionary :rolleyes: Here is another definiton for you

n.
    One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Think that sums CABE up pretty well.
    As stated, this is your opinion/assumption and not Fact. Its unusual when contradicting someone for making assumptions, that your counter the argument with your own assumption!

My argument wasn't stated as fact, I clearly noted it was in my opinion. Not unusual at all in debating actually :confused:
    A possibility, not a fact. Not a basis to form an argument!

The original argument was also a possibility.

SB & Westbury are both within County Clare. By purchasing a house there, you bought a house in County Clare. It may be a surburb of Limerick City, but its still County Clare. You therefore made a conscious decision to purchase your house in that particular estate, in County Clare!

No a conscious decision to buy a house in Clare, would be to decide to buy a house in Clare and then go and do that. What most people actually did was decide to buy a house convenient to Limerick, it just so happened that the official address is Clare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

one good thing about the rally. people now know were westbury is. we are in athlunkard co clare.

with regard to the filling of sandbags a lot were filled by local residents.

molard wrote: »
    with regard to the filling of sandbags a lot were filled by local residents.

Yes they filled their own because they didn't want to wait.

Yes they filled their own because they didn't want to wait.
    not all did that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Minty88

Hi All - is westbury not classed as a lowerclass area in Limerick? Houses are cheap. lot of counsil and social housing etc in there and is there not a lot of trouble out that way? Would Liemrick not be better off without adding this area to their statistics?

• Advertisement

Minty88 wrote: »
    Hi All - is westbury not classed as a lowerclass area in Limerick? Houses are cheap. lot of counsil and social housing etc in there and is there not a lot of trouble out that way? Would Liemrick not be better off without adding this area to their statistics?

Negative :confused: on all counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Minty88

Hmmmm....not what I know of it - or what I have heard from people who have rented there and moved out. There was a lot on limerick 95fm the other day too and to me it sounded like a working class area. Apparently loads moved out from St. Marys park? I just constantly hear bad reports about it. Same with that Apple Green area. Lots of trouble around there too ? Even St. munchins school now would be classed as a lower class school. And the little shopping area there with the tesco is not exactly a pretty sight....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Because areas have been deliberitly built up around Limerick city to take advantage of Limerick city, but not to have to give back so to speak.
    Seeing as your argument is that they already shop and work in Limerick, how have they not given anything back?

A boundary extension won't make them spend more money, or spend it in different places, it will mean that the people working and shopping are now from Limerick rather than Clare. But, apart from the rates of a handful of businesses across from Westbury, I can't see any material benefits for Limerick city, certainly not enough to result in a reduction in city rates.

Hmmmm....not what I know of it - or what I have heard from people who have rented there and moved out. There was a lot on limerick 95fm the other day too and to me it sounded like a working class area. Apparently loads moved out from St. Marys park? I just constantly hear bad reports about it. Same with that Apple Green area. Lots of trouble around there too ? Even St. munchins school now would be classed as a lower class school. And the little shopping area there with the tesco is not exactly a pretty sight....

There is no social housing in Westbury whatsoever & no houses aren't cheap. St Munchins is known as being one of the best schools in the City (It's in Limerick btw).

Apple Green is a petrol station, not an area, there has been one incident there n the 17 years I've lived in the area, involving 2 youths from Garryowen who attached another young boy from Garryowen. The shopping centre looks like any of the other suburban shopping centres in Limerick..

You've either been mis-informed or you're trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

There is no social housing in Westbury whatsoever & no houses aren't cheap. St Munchins is known as being one of the best schools in the City (It's in Limerick btw).

It's a shadow of its former self to be honest...

where u thinking of moving out and joining us.nothing wrong with working for a living.heard limerick city bought some houses alright.will u be buying or renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

embarrassing attempt on front of the chronicle today by city councillors to block this going through and garner support for them; all they're trying to do is protect their cushy number they have going. A single authority is the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

cancan wrote: »
    It's a shadow of its former self to be honest...

Have to agree, since the place finished boarding it's gone downhill a bit. Great memories though :D

it went from the metallers school to the scumbags school way too quickly. Carrot would have killed some of the wahs passing through there these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

If Carrot would have killed them you can image what Blewitt would have done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

zuroph wrote: »
    it went from the metallers school to the scumbags school way too quickly. Carrot would have killed some of the wahs passing through there these days.
    wingnut wrote: »
    If Carrot would have killed them you can image what Blewitt would have done!

These guys were waaay ahead of my time. Plenty of metal-heads still goin there but they're an endangered species.

could anyone enlighten me.is carraig midhe considered to be part of westbury estate.is there are a lot of houses and apartments rented there.is this were the social houses are and no other facilities

No it's a separate estate. Not sure how it's working out but the social housing in there seems to be owned/rented by Limerick City Council, some people were moved there as part of the regeneration project.

As far as I can remember Carrig Midhe would also fall under the boundary extension if the report is implemented,

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Houses are cheap all over town. Working middle-class id say, some lovely big houses at the front of the estate.

I grew up in Moyross, and now live there (worked for it before ye start) and gotta say its quiet. Theres a few anti-social issues but its on par with most other half decent estates in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Houses are cheap all over town. Working middle-class id say, some lovely big houses at the front of the estate.

I grew up in Moyross, and now live there (worked for it before ye start) and gotta say its quiet. Theres a few anti-social issues but its on par with most other half decent estates in town.
    That good to hear. Did they ship out the troublesome families or are they still around?

limklad wrote: »
    That good to hear. Did they ship out the troublesome families or are they still around?

Dont know of any, not saying their not there of course (can only speak for my part of Westbury)

what part? mcinerney development or chieftain .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

From the Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1104/1224282634095.html
    Limerick's economy may suffer 'for decades'

LIMERICK CITY will suffer economic stagnation for decades unless a controversial report proposing radical changes to local governance is adopted, Limerick Chamber of Commerce has claimed.

Announcing a campaign on the issue yesterday, the chamber’s president Kieran MacSweeney described the report by the Limerick Local Government Committee as a “unique opportunity” for Limerick and the midwest.

and the very last line:
    Limerick Chamber chief executive Maria Kelly said political self-preservation could not get in the way of the greater good.
    Good luck with that.

Good to see the chamber getting organised against the dullards in council

• Advertisement

molard wrote: »
    what part? mcinerney development or chieftain .

Grianan was Chieftain was it?

My big issue is that theres no road sign for Grianan, think ill make my own. :cool:

Advertisement