Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick could have new single authority in place by 2012

Options
  • 02-09-2010 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

The new authority they are hoping to form to replace the city and county councils could be here within two years. It will have some input from Clare also. Limerick will then become Irelands 3rd largest city. How do ye think this will effect the city and county?

I personally don't see its going to help tackle the many varied problems that Limerick City currently faces. By all means amalgamate the pointless and useless county councils in the region. But Limerick City needs it's own strong governing body given the complexity of the issues. Seems to be a cop out to me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The new authority they are hoping to form to replace the city and county councils could be here within two years. It will have some input from Clare also. Limerick will then become Irelands 3rd largest city. How do ye think this will effect the city and county?

I personally don't see its going to help tackle the many varied problems that Limerick City currently faces. By all means amalgamate the pointless and useless county councils in the region. But Limerick City needs it's own strong governing body given the complexity of the issues. Seems to be a cop out to me!

Such as?

I think it could be very good for the region, or very poor for the region.

I don't think the issues are massively complex tbh. We know how to solve most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

IMO We should be looking at a regional authority with a strong city council. It will mean Irelands 3rd largest city will have no city authority. It's weak and indecisive governance that has got us into the current mess which I believe is a mess, just look at the city center. If we can solve it so easily... why isnt it solved?!
    Maybe and hopefully Im wrong and a new stucture will exercise the change thats needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

As long as the city council are given no responsibilities - I would be in favour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

How in the name of god does it take 2 years to literally sign some names here and there for the boundary to be extended when they were trying to do this for the last decade or so?

anyway this will be brilliant for Limerick, the city will now be of more economic importance than galway and even waterford with this extension.
    Meaning Limerick will be nearly first in line in terms of better ficilities, health care ie expencive hospital machines, funding etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

When (if) it happens we will have shops in crescent/childers rd paying rates to city instead of county.
    Hopefully because more rates are coming in, they might go down. And it can be money to be spent on whole of city. It might even improve. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Just saw the report posted by justnotbothered on Archiseek .

http://limericklgc.ie/wp-content/upl...-Sept-2010.pdf

Main points of the report :-

One authority covering city, county plus the city parts of Clare.
    City boundry extended to cover Raheen/Dooradoyle, Castletroy, Clare part of city.
    Directly elected mayor to serve for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

Someone in Clare is upset, they have been busy all day putting Clare GAA flag on all the street lights on the main road just over the bridge by Shannon banks.

Its like Belfast in the 80's, Nurenburg in the 30's, Clare in the 00's oh wait...:)

Now I know their minors are in the final Sunday, and I do believe a lot of Clare GAA jerseys are getting their first ironing since '97 but how much of this is got to do with that? hardly a flag to be seen for their '21's last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

they sure are.pascal on clare fm talking about all that clare coco are doing in the area but not nameing any. empty words as usually.

What are the opinions I wonder of the people living in these specific areas of Corbally, Shannon Banks ect.?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Kernunos

There is an article written about this in the Limerick Entertainment Guide for september thats pretty good, mostly talking about how the divide artificially exacerbates the perception of Limerick as a bad place to live. It can be found here on page 21

http://www.eightball.ie/onlinemag/

• Advertisement

What are the opinions I wonder of the people living in these specific areas of Corbally, Shannon Banks ect.?
    don't know where u live in limerick .fyi corbally is part of limerick city.i don't know why you would want their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

According to one of those links published above, the population of the immediate Metropolitan area is 98,989. Id love to know what it is now, and if nearby areas like mungret etc was included what it would be

molard wrote: »
    don't know where u live in limerick .fyi corbally is part of limerick city.i don't know why you would want their opinion.

Westbury is in Corbally??

There is an invisible line between corbally (limerick) westbury (clare).

There is an invisible line between corbally (limerick) westbury (clare).

But my friends address is Westbury, Corbally, Co. Clare :confused:
    Well, I didnt mean to offend anyone! It seems to be a very delicate matter :rolleyes:

If you put westbury co clare, (without the corbally). post would probably get lost. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

AFAIK once you over the bridge into Shannon banks you're in Clare that's why Clare Co Co put a sub office in the Westbury Centre to pay for car tax etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

kiersm wrote: »
    AFAIK once you over the bridge into Shannon banks you're in Clare that's why Clare Co Co put a sub office in the Westbury Centre to pay for car tax etc.

That's what I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Just saw on the RTE news site that we have seized parts of Tipp as well. On with the blitzkrieg I say! Lebensraum fur der Limerickermenschen! We will rule Ireland with an iron fist (or maybe a Munster rugby spongehand).

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0917/newport.html
    A man in his 60s, who sparked off a search yesterday after he stole a car with a baby in the back, is due in court later today.
    The car, with the six-month-old boy in the backseat, was taken from a street in Newport in Co Tipperary at around 3pm yesterday afternoon.
    It was abandoned a short time later on the outskirts of Nenagh town.
    The baby was uninjured and reunited with his parents.

Gardaí later arrested a man in Birdhill in Limerick and he is due to appear before Nenagh District Court this morning.

Those jackeen geography teachers don't bate kids half hard enough.

topper75 wrote: »
    Just saw on the RTE news site that we have seized parts of Tipp as well. On with the blitzkrieg I say! Lebensraum fur der Limerickermenschen! We will rule Ireland with an iron fist (or maybe a Munster rugby spongehand).

This may have to be moved to the Tipp forum!! :D

• Advertisement

anyone know about the public rally in westbury on sunday 10 oct. is it the residents running it or outside interests

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

never heard of it to be honest. Well they have already colonised half the bridge and claimed it for Clare so we should blow our half ;)

molard wrote: »
    anyone know about the public rally in westbury on sunday 10 oct. is it the residents running it or outside interests

A group only known as CABE (Clare against boundry extention) are running it, who they are or where exactly their from is a mystery. They failed to leave any contact details on the leaflets they delivered to all the houses around me (Westbury)

I really dont have the time to read every bit of rubbish that comes in my door these days, however I did catch lines such as 'Whats the real agenda' and 'increase in insurance' just before it got fecked into the bin along with flyers from Super Value, some takeaway, and the Local. :)

kilburn wrote: »
    never heard of it to be honest. Well they have already colonised half the bridge and claimed it for Clare so we should blow our half ;)

Why dont they have their rally at 9am on the Monday morning when half of Clare is trying to cross that bridge into Limerick to be employed and educated?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

By all means amalgamate the pointless and useless county councils in the region. But Limerick City needs it's own strong governing body given the complexity of the issues. Seems to be a cop out to me!

the useless county councils?
    What about the city council who squandered €50 million of taxpayers money on a court case they were always going to lose? And the fact that Tom Mackey who were in charge of this fiasco is still the city manager?
    If I was you have a nice look around Limerick city, maybe talk to a few shopkeepers and see exactly what they think of the city council...I suggest words like muppets, useless bástards will be mentioned several times.
    Limerick city is a disaster because of the decisions of these guys..I'll support boundary extensions when we get rid of all the idiots currently on the city council and replace them with people of a higher IQ who just might know what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

topper75 wrote: »

just so you know ..the article you linked to mentions cappamore...
    what it fails to mention is those scum (the infamous McCarthy gang) were part of the regeneration of Limerick city who gave the scum houses in other county towns and wiped their hands off it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Has anyone spotted the Portable Road Sign at Westbury. Flashing away proclaiming the existence of Clare against Boundary Extension group. Cathal Crowe must be spending a fortune on this and the flags :rolleyes:

Rte reporting up to 1000 people took part, i was there heckling myself and the number sounds about right. Vast majority seemed to come from outside Westbury/SB.

Now 1000 people protested on a dry mild day. 3000 people live in the proposed extention area, and overall 110k people live in Clare.

What does that say? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Checked it out today. Looks like Parteen GAA are playing a big part and there was a RSF banner too :-o

We shall not, we shall not be moved.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Rte reporting up to 1000 people took part, i was there heckling myself and the number sounds about right. Vast majority seemed to come from outside Westbury/SB.

Now 1000 people protested on a dry mild day. 3000 people live in the proposed extention area, and overall 110k people live in Clare.

What does that say? :D

Well if 1 in 3 of the people affected by the decision actually gave up a chunk of thier Sunday afternoon to get of thier backsides and do something (rather than sit at a keyboard and moan) then I would suggest that says quite a lot, wouldn't you? It certainly indicates that the majority are against the extension and a substantial number are very strongly opposed.

And what makes you think that the majority were from outside Westbury / SB? I didn't see any address labels on anyone :rolleyes:

Advertisement