Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick could have new single authority in place by 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

PSCS wrote: »
    How will the Clare Boundary extension benefit the whole mid west? 1200 houses? Im interested in hearing the logic. Please tell me what will be different if it goes ahead compared to the moment. Remember we are talking about the Clare boundary extension in isolation?

Have you read the report?

To be fair, this is a separate topic to the single authority, the bigger issue is the areas of Castletroy, Raheen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Obviously those that marched are proud of where they group up or where they now live! Its not snobbery.

Those are your words PSCS, maybe you should read the comments from the KIllaloe woman on the fron page of Todays Limerick Leader who was ranting at the Rally, who obviously didnt grow up there and doesnt now live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

And what makes you think that the majority were from outside Westbury / SB? I didn't see any address labels on anyone :rolleyes:

Im living in Westbury years and none of my friends and neighbours took part, took a stroll through the estate during the rally and vast majority of people were out cutting grass, cleaning cars and walking dogs.

Soon as you got near the church you got the typical GAH scene: cars lumped up on footpaths and blocking peoples drive ways. Obviously not residents.

The few that did turn out sunday have been fed lies and propaganda (rte reported 'up to 1000') another bigger rally took place on Monday morning (and every weekday morning) on the bridge, this time Clare people were more than happy to be part of Limerick. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

From today's Irish Times

The Irish Times - Monday, October 11, 2010

GORDON DEEGAN

CLARE COUNTY Council is to propose today a multi-annual “rescue package” for Glor music centre and a host of other loss-making leisure attractions that attract an aggregate 500,000 visitors each year.

In a report to be put before Clare’s 32 councillors, council director Bernadette Kinsella is proposing an annual funding scheme for Glor, Lahinch Seaworld, Kilkee Waterworld, Shannon Swimming and Leisure Centre along with the Vandeleur Walled Garden and Visitor Centre in Kilrush.

In return for financial support, the attractions are to submit a multi-annual plan and provide annual accounts to the council and also impose a condition that the council be represented at executive and elected-member level on the board of each facility.

In her report, Ms Kinsella states: “A number of the facilities have been existing in a precarious situation . . . currently, none of the trading facilities operate on a break-even basis. Given the current economic climate, it is unlikely that this situation will change in the medium term.”

The reality is Limerick can't go it alone, Clare can't go it alone, North Tipp and South Offaly can't go it alone. The main gig in town is a strong Midwest, ideally we'd revert to the old name of Thomond and do away with all the imaginary lines that politicians use to stay in power.

Clare has some great places on offer for a tourist, the coast, Killaloe, etc, as does North Tipp, Lough Derg etc, as imo, does county Limerick, Killmallock, Adare etc. Limerick city should be the centrepiece of the region, but because of it's current state, it's not pulling it's weight. The best way to improve the entire region is to implement the report.

None of us can go it alone, we're already losing out to other regions who have their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

I think this CABE group and protesting against the boundary extension is a complete load of rubbish. I think a poll should be done of the residents of Shannon Banks and Westbury to see what their views are. I live in Westbury and no one from CABE bothered to call to my door to ask for my opinion. I think the involvement of Parteen GAA club in all of this is ridiculous considering quite a few of their players from their various teams would originally have been from Limerick or their parents would have originally been from Limerick. Its an administrative boundary not a sporting one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

mayor of limk want city enlarged into country may leave sb westbury in clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

I work in a job where i stamp and sign forms for quite a number of things, One thing i feel i have to point out is that in my experience 9 times out of 10, when someone from Westbury or Shannon Banks comes into the office, it's not Clare they have on the form, but Limerick.

This doesn't indicate to me that people are outraged by being brought into Limerick, and i really don't believe that over 1000 people from Westbury and Shannon Banks turned out on Sunday. More likely it was people from Ardnacrusha, Parteen and Clonlara that turned out.

If this really is as big a problem as is being made out (which i don't think it is), Then i have a very simple solution.

A new address, which gives the best of both worlds, Westbury/Shannon Banks, Limerick City, Co. Clare...... Many cities and towns around the world are located in 2, sometimes even 3 or 4 counties with a single authority governing it. This would give the snobs....sorry concerned Clare blow ins.....sorry locals (I can't seem to stop doing that) and local Gaa heads, the Clare address and would give Limerick City the boost in numbers and area it requires to survive and grow as a city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

PSCS wrote: »
    How will the Clare Boundary extension benefit the whole mid west? 1200 houses? Im interested in hearing the logic. Please tell me what will be different if it goes ahead compared to the moment. Remember we are talking about the Clare boundary extension in isolation?

If you haven't bothered to read the report then I am not going to enlighten you.

I find it odd that you are here fighting your corner when you haven't even taken the time to get all the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

kilburn wrote: »
    You was a collective term not meant specifically at you.

If you are so concerned about your employer maybe you should not go on to boards during your work hours, productivity and all that.

At the end of the day a thriving Limerick City is better for the mid west than a struggling one.

I wouldnt want to pin my hopes on Clare Co Co either, the clever people who make people pay to look over the side of a cliff.
    In order to have any thriving city you need to get rid of people who are killing the city and those are the ones who are running it into the ground. The City officials who have the country highest rates and the worst traffic management in the country. It not ideal for any business environment if customers will not come to you because 1/. you higher prices due to higher rates and rents and 2/. It is harder to get in an out of the city and getting parking which add cost to the recession consumer.
    The City policies have been steadily killing the city business, therefore business closes or move to survive. Once they take over Mungret cement factory they will kill the jobs as the rates will increase therefore putting more costs pressures to already under pressure business environment where cement is already cheaper to import from elsewhere in the EU. That just 1 company and more Jobs loses that the city will destroy once expansion occurs there are many more large business in the surrounding areas that the city have their eye on to take over. Over the next Ten Years if the City do not dramatically and reduces Rates to County levels, it will kill business in the whole area and there been even more job loses. I am for 1 against any expansion of destructive policies of the city to more areas. They already exported their crime to county areas, increasing the cost of policing a much wider area putting gardai resources under pressure and increase the crimes levels in the county. The people in the county are been effect by failed policies of the city council and HSE and are living in fear and increase insurance costs.

They complain about the Crescent Shopping centre, yet they want to take it over. Are they going to shut it down in favour of the dying city centre? Forcing more people in to the city centre with bad traffic management creating even more Traffic chaos. It will be far easier to get into Cork, Galway and Dublin city for shopping.

If you read the Report and what the Council have said the rates issue is not a problem. Irish Cement have bigger things to worry about than the boundary extension, didnt they just announce a bucket load of redundancies.
    Please read the report before you make comments on scaremongering issues. Limerick City Councils inability to raise funds is the reason rates are high, that is as obvious as the nose on everyones face. And Limerick County Council have killed the City with their donut policy

• Advertisement

If you read the Report and what the Council have said the rates issue is not a problem. Irish Cement have bigger things to worry about than the boundary extension, didnt they just announce a bucket load of redundancies.
    Please read the report before you make comments on scaremongering issues. Limerick City Councils inability to raise funds is the reason rates are high, that is as obvious as the nose on everyones face. And Limerick County Council have killed the City with their donut policy
    Reports are written by those who single handed pick for their previously known bias or what I like to call Donkey blinkers (one view of thinking). Government get number of reports written by various groups and dump the ones they do not like because it does not fit with their agenda.

High Rates and Traffic management, parking are issues for Business in the city centre.
    If you been reading limerick Newspapers why each Business where cited the reasons why they moved to the suburbs and these reasons were at the top. Business need to survive or they die. The Cement Factory reduces their head count because they were not making the same level of cement and saw no improvement in the economy and as most business do they reduce their head count to reduces their loses. Cheaper cement from outside Ireland and higher rates from the city will tip the balance and will cause closure no matter what reports will say. Look at Coonagh, Their rates are slowly increasing to city levels soon after the city took them over. If you believe that the cement factory keep their low rates the same after the city boundary expands, then you are deluding yourself. That will never happen unless the city significantly reduce it rates to county levels and it will boost the city coffers as shop owners will start to return if the Traffic management and improve bus services with bus gps locators where customers can see where they are to decide to use it, which is a hit ad miss at the moment as bus timetables are a joke. The city parking could be made available to inform customers via internet/text on what is available and plan accordingly.

No report ever actual predicted what will happens because people who write them do no see what is really happening. Book keepers and people dealing with money see first hand what is going on rather than people in offices writing reports from other estimate reports with outdated data.

When people like the city council put their head in the sand and not coming to reality about their policies then they will continue to destroy the mid west economy with their boundary expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Limerick leader have an article today about all the city council who don't want this either. Can't post link. As 'city' won't exist anymore. They are going to be protesting.

Think they are all afraid about losing their jobs.

Limerick leader have an article today about all the city council who don't want this either. Can't post link. As 'city' won't exist anymore. They are going to be protesting.

Think they are all afraid about losing their jobs.
    That good, because they deserve to lose their jobs for destroying the city and and attempt to destroy the mid west with failed redundant policies. We need better innovate buisness creating policies in the city and that is not going to happen with the current administration.
    Until these backwards people are kick out, there is no point for city expansion unless you want to see the region continued to be destroyed and desolate.

The councillors dont decide on rates the City manager does, so sacking the councillors will make no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

It really is very simple.
    The only reason there are people living in this area, is because of Limerick City.
    No questions about it.
    If Limerick City wasn't there there would be no way in hell that you'd have these residents in the area.

If a housing estate, or estates only come into the area because of a city, if the majority of people work, and shop in the city, get their education, and healthcare in the city, use the public transportation of the city, etc, then they are a vital part of the city.

We need them, and they need us.
    I know a number of people who live in the area, and all of them consider themselves from Limerick, most come from Limerick originally.
    There is no way that 1/3 of people there are against this.

In fact, I know not one person from the area who is against it.
    I do however know someone from Clonlara, and a couple of people from Cratloe who are against it.

the main reason people are saying they are not against it is because they have been let down by clare co co.if you live in the area you will know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

How does the city need them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

osarusan wrote: »
    How does the city need them?

Well they for all intents and purposes are citezens of Limerick.
    They spend money in our shops, work in out jobs, etc.

They're a part of the city, and just as important as those who live inside an invisable boundry.

Well they for all intents and purposes are citezens of Limerick.
    They spend money in our shops, work in out jobs, etc.

They're a part of the city, and just as important as those who live inside an invisable boundry.
    But seeing as they already are for, all intents and purposes, citizens of Limerick, and most already come to Limerick for education, work and shopping, what exactly will be the benefits of repositioning an invisible boundary? What will change, apart from the actual moving of the invisible boundary, which makes moving that boundary important?

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/City-councillors-vow-to-fight.6576714.jp

More rubbish from the McLoughlin clan at the council

• Advertisement

From the link above:
    Referring to those people deciding on the future of Limerick's governmental make up, Cllr Gerry McLoughlin added: "These country bumpkins have no regard for Limerick. They have destroyed the city with the planning, and are no friends of ours. We are not here to serve Newcastle West, or other places in the a******e of county Limerick. I am a city man - I don't go down there, and have no time for them."

i can recall hearing this man saying he didn't want any county child coming into the city and attending city secondary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 PSCS

Obviously those that marched are proud of where they group up or where they now live! Its not snobbery.

Those are your words PSCS, maybe you should read the comments from the KIllaloe woman on the fron page of Todays Limerick Leader who was ranting at the Rally, who obviously didnt grow up there and doesnt now live there.

Kilburn,

My point is in relation to the majority! I, unlike the journalist who took the interview, do not get paid for filling column inches. Its not my job to qoute an unreasonable argument from 1 woman at a march containing over 1000. If you want to base your argument on 00.1% of a group, fair play to you. As Iv said before, Im not trying to change anyones opinions on the Topic because everyone is entitled to it but please be aware that there are those in the area who are strongly against the extension!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I live in Westbury and quite a few of the people I know in and around here don't want an extension and teh reasons have nothing to do with "snobbery".

My own reasons include:

Incompetence: Clare Co Co are fairly poor (taking over Westbury estate, grass cutting). But compared to Limerick City Co they are miracle workers. For example a couple of years ago a town (I can't remember exactly which one) came bottom of the annual Tidy Town survey. The local authority were appalled and set up local teams to tackle the problems. They had anti litter groups, sorted out graffiti - the usual stuff. The next survey they were in the top 3 and disappointed not to have won. In that same survey Limerick City came bottom. The council reaction? Howls of outrage at the "anti-Limerick bias" and a demand that the head of the Tody Towns should present himself before the Chamber and account for his actions :rolleyes: Take a walk from the Monument to the Hunt Museum (especially after taking a walk from Eyre Square down Shop Street in Galway) and tell me that this is a well run city. Clare Co Co are bad but Limerick is worse. And Limerick County Co don't seem too hot either - thier ride roughshod approach to the town centre is selfish and short sighted. An enlarged single Limerick Authority is badly needed but there is no evidence that it would be better for the residents of SB / Westbury.

Representation: I believe Pascal has now moved to Ardnacrusha but until then there were two councillors living in Westbury and we still have one. They have thier faults but they are going to have the best interests of thier own location at heart. In an enlarged Limerick authority there will be - particularly in teh mid term - a redrawing of electoral boundaries and there is a probability that Corbaly as a whole would have representation. This is a significantly larger area and you would lose the connectivity of a truly local local representative.

Commercial and financial: Limerick City rates are amongst the highest in the country. I don't care what the report claims there would have to be adjustments to the rates charged and that could be the death knell for teh Westbury Centre. And with the country looking to raise overall tax revenues a property tax is looking probable and if that is administered through the local authorities (the UK model) then the expectation is that City rates would be significantly higher than Clare County rates.

Convenience: There are two council offices in Limerick "city", the City and the County offices. There would therefore be no need to maintain teh satellite office in teh Westbury centre so if you want to tax your car, etc you need to go into or across town (depending on which office is closed under the reorganisation). A 10 minute trip becomes a half hour in and half hour back and possibly with paid parking, etc

Planning: Westbury is apocalyptically badly planned. But all teh land behind and around Westbury in now zoned as rural and will not be built on. Residents have bought with the security that they live on teh outskirts of teh developed area and that there will be no further developments. It's a suburban rather than urban environment. With a new central authority there is no guarantee that the land around Westbury would remain undeveloped and (in the long term) when the City needs to expand this is an area that would be prime for development.

The residents of SB / Westbury already contribute to Limerick City. We work there, we shop there, our children are educated there. We contribute to the local economy and to the social and cultural life of the city. But we have made a concious decision to live outside teh City boundaries and I personally see no benefit for teh residents to a change in that status.

If you haven't bothered to read the report then I am not going to enlighten you.

I find it odd that you are here fighting your corner when you haven't even taken the time to get all the info.

I have read the report. On numerous occasions as a matter of fact. I have spent many hours getting all the info. Not only since the report was released but over the past 10 years as this topic has been raising its head more & more. There was certainly an air of enevitability as to the recommendations that Mr.Brosnahan would make in his report. Even he himself at the launch stated that he personnaly would have been in favour of a mid west governing body rather than interfeering with current boundaries, but had failed to gain the majority of support from the others in the 5 man committee.

The specific question I'm asking was one which your obviously not going to answer! There is no benefit directly from Westbury & Shannon Banks becoming part of Limerick City, apart from rates from the few business located in the area.

The planning process is complete for these areas. It can't be changed now! The houses are built! People are giving out over the Traffic entering the city in the early morning rush hour. How will this area becoming part of Limerick City change this?
    The report itself even backs up the argument made by those attending the Rally last Sunday!
    "The Committee recognises the strength of county and parish identities in Irish life and understands the emotional, and entirely valid, attachments many people have to their counties. In many respects,this attachment is a definite strength in Irish civic life." Fairly strong statement for them to then continue and totally disregard it!

Lets be imaginative here for a minute. Lets just say by the miracles of all miracles, the Country recovers from the current down turn, and the housing demand exeeds supply in the next 10 years. What is the propossition if Clare Co.Co. allow other estates to be created close to the new boundary, if it happens. Will Mr. Brosnahan arrive back in 10 years to make a similar reccomendation. Will the argument be that 90% of those living in the new estate in Ardnacrusha/Clonlara/Cratloe/Meelick are from Limerick, therefore lets make it part of Limerick? Will estates in cellbridge/Nass/Newbridge with more Dublin people than kildare people become some islands of the Capital?
    The extension is so narrow minded in respect of its incursion into County Clare. There is nothing preventing Clare Co. Council allowing another Westbury/Shannon Banks been created on the Clare side of the new border if it happens. What is needed is stated clearly in the report.
    "A structured and regular process for discussing and agreeing cross-boundary, near-boundary and other issues of mutual interest and concern should be instituted by Clare County Council and the new Limerick authority." A regional govening body should be established, one with full power and elected members. The region needs to prosper not just Limerick City. A governing body for the Mid West would be the first step to getting the region back on track.

The councillors dont decide on rates the City manager does, so sacking the councillors will make no difference.
    1/. There is far too many councillors and 2/. They approve the city manager appointment and 3/. approve the city budget and rates. So yes, they too do deserve to lose their jobs for destroying the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

Incompetence: Clare Co Co are fairly poor (taking over Westbury estate, grass cutting). But compared to Limerick City Co they are miracle workers. For example a couple of years ago a town (I can't remember exactly which one) came bottom of the annual Tidy Town survey. The local authority were appalled and set up local teams to tackle the problems. They had anti litter groups, sorted out graffiti - the usual stuff. The next survey they were in the top 3 and disappointed not to have won. In that same survey Limerick City came bottom. The council reaction? Howls of outrage at the "anti-Limerick bias" and a demand that the head of the Tody Towns should present himself before the Chamber and account for his actions :rolleyes: Take a walk from the Monument to the Hunt Museum (especially after taking a walk from Eyre Square down Shop Street in Galway) and tell me that this is a well run city. Clare Co Co are bad but Limerick is worse. And Limerick County Co don't seem too hot either - thier ride roughshod approach to the town centre is selfish and short sighted. An enlarged single Limerick Authority is badly needed but there is no evidence that it would be better for the residents of SB / Westbury.

Aside from the grass cutting, there have been numerous pot holes on Westbury Avenue since the bad weather last year that they haven't Clare Co COuncil haven't bothered to fix. At the top of Westbury avenue I saw a girls car spin and nearly flip on the wet leaves that cover the road every Autumn. I've called them numerous times about cleaning it up but it has been left to the residents again. SB & Westbury are not even on the radar of Clare Co Co, we're forgotten about. When we had the flooding in Shannon Banks, it was Limerick TD Willie O'Dea for all his faults, that pulled strings & called the soldiers in from Ennis to deal with the problem. Limerick City Council might not be great( I don't think that any of the councils in the county are particularly good), but they are much better at the day to day things than Clare.

Representation: I believe Pascal has now moved to Ardnacrusha but until then there were two councillors living in Westbury and we still have one. They have thier faults but they are going to have the best interests of thier own location at heart. In an enlarged Limerick authority there will be - particularly in teh mid term - a redrawing of electoral boundaries and there is a probability that Corbaly as a whole would have representation. This is a significantly larger area and you would lose the connectivity of a truly local local representative.

And the second one will be gone as soon as he can sell his house, it's been on the market for the past 9 months(maybe longer).

I would favour a larger area. It gives a more representative result in elections & takes away the power of the bigots like CABE who use scaremongering tactics to try get people on board.
    Commercial and financial: Limerick City rates are amongst the highest in the country. I don't care what the report claims there would have to be adjustments to the rates charged and that could be the death knell for teh Westbury Centre. And with the country looking to raise overall tax revenues a property tax is looking probable and if that is administered through the local authorities (the UK model) then the expectation is that City rates would be significantly higher than Clare County rates.

This is based purely on an assumption. The report has recommended a change in rates.

The second part is purely speculation.

Convenience: There are two council offices in Limerick "city", the City and the County offices. There would therefore be no need to maintain teh satellite office in teh Westbury centre so if you want to tax your car, etc you need to go into or across town (depending on which office is closed under the reorganisation). A 10 minute trip becomes a half hour in and half hour back and possibly with paid parking, etc

Again an assumption, but given the fact that most residents work and shop in Limerick it doesn't seem like a huge inconvenience. IMO this office is a waste of tax payers money anyhow. All the services can be accessed online or by telephone. Who is to say it won't go when the public sector eventually has to start making redundancies anyway.
    Planning: Westbury is apocalyptically badly planned. But all teh land behind and around Westbury in now zoned as rural and will not be built on. Residents have bought with the security that they live on teh outskirts of teh developed area and that there will be no further developments. It's a suburban rather than urban environment. With a new central authority there is no guarantee that the land around Westbury would remain undeveloped and (in the long term) when the City needs to expand this is an area that would be prime for development.

There is no guarantee that it won't be rezoned with the existing authority.
    The residents of SB / Westbury already contribute to Limerick City. We work there, we shop there, our children are educated there. We contribute to the local economy and to the social and cultural life of the city. But we have made a concious decision to live outside teh City boundaries and I personally see no benefit for teh residents to a change in that status.

Most did not make a conscious decision to live outside the boundary. Most including myself see SB & Westbury as a suburb of Limerick.

It really is very simple.
    The only reason there are people living in this area, is because of Limerick City.
    No questions about it.
    If Limerick City wasn't there there would be no way in hell that you'd have these residents in the area.

If a housing estate, or estates only come into the area because of a city, if the majority of people work, and shop in the city, get their education, and healthcare in the city, use the public transportation of the city, etc, then they are a vital part of the city.

I know a number of people who live in the area, and all of them consider themselves from Limerick, most come from Limerick originally.
    There is no way that 1/3 of people there are against this.

In fact, I know not one person from the area who is against it.
    I do however know someone from Clonlara, and a couple of people from Cratloe who are against it.
    People go where there is Jobs is and access to shopping, and until recently most of the jobs were in the County Limerick and Clare not within the city.
    Public Transport is a joke in this city. When I go abroad It is a joy to use local public transport. It is more frequent and if not, most importantly it is on time. Public Transport in Limerick City in the evening is a joke when there is no traffic. It meant to be every 20 mins. On several occasions that I have use it, it has been every hour with two or three buses arriving on the same route.

While I am not against any city expanding as most naturally does, I am against those who are running the city into the ground over the last two decades. While I am not always happy with Limerick County Council they are far more Business friendly than the Limerick City Council.
    Until there is a systematic life changing Attitude by city officials/councillors and make the city both Customers and Business friendly, then they will always run the city and suburbs (with expansion) into the ground with failed policies and blame everybody else for their own failing. While one day I would love to see an improve Limerick City, Right now I do not need incompetent Limerick city council destroying my area. Limerick city council is a failed council and a proven track record and deserve to be taken over so the city can rise up again.
    Read the comments from city councillors. There is not a one reasonable one amongst them, no new great ideas in how to improve the city revenues other than plundering surrounding areas like vikings of old. They reject bus corridors which is vital to the city transport and they fight like cats and dogs degrading everybody around them. They reminds me of the DUP politics.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/City-councillors-vow-to-fight.6576714.jp
    Labour southside councillor Orla McLoughlin suggested it was no surprise Denis Brosnan chose to amalgamate the two councils - which would leave Limerick County with the most members - given his own rural background in Co Kerry.
    "Why would we want a rural kingdom of Limerick? I am happy with my city, and my King John's Castle," she said, predicting if the two authorities came together to form a 30-member unit, "Teething problems will develop into turf wars, leading to migraines and cancerous results."
    Unfortunately Orla forgot to look around the city and to see without her donkey blinkers and see there is a disaster in the city created by themselves with Teething problems, turf wars, migraines and cancerous results to be seen by everybody outside the city.

Aside from the grass cutting, there have been numerous pot holes on Westbury Avenue since the bad weather last year that they haven't Clare Co COuncil haven't bothered to fix. At the top of Westbury avenue I saw a girls car spin and nearly flip on the wet leaves that cover the road every Autumn. I've called them numerous times about cleaning it up but it has been left to the residents again. SB & Westbury are not even on the radar of Clare Co Co, we're forgotten about. When we had the flooding in Shannon Banks, it was Limerick TD Willie O'Dea for all his faults, that pulled strings & called the soldiers in from Ennis to deal with the problem. Limerick City Council might not be great( I don't think that any of the councils in the county are particularly good), but they are much better at the day to day things than Clare.

Clare Co. Co. have not taken over the running of Westbury. It is not in their remit to carry out resurfacing/grass cutting/tree pruning. This is the responsibility or both McInerney Homes & Chieftain Construction.
    Willie O'Dea at the time was minister for Defence and the area in question forms part of his constituency. Why would he not use his influence. If I remember correctly, Pascal , a Clare Co. Councillor spent night and day in the area, while Parteen St. Nicholas had 2/3 days of residents arriving for sandbags, paid for and supplied by the Gaa Club themselves.

And the second one will be gone as soon as he can sell his house, it's been on the market for the past 9 months(maybe longer).

I would favour a larger area. It gives a more representative result in elections & takes away the power of the bigots like CABE who use scaremongering tactics to try get people on board.

"A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially one exhibiting intolerance, irrationality, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs. The predominant usage in modern American English refers to persons hostile to those of differing race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, various mental disorders, or religion." - Are you actually Mad?? You believe CABE are Bigots??? CABE held a peaceful protest to maintain the Status Quo and you use the word bigot. You either have no understanding of the word or you my friend are the one scaremongering!

Again an assumption, but given the fact that most residents work and shop in Limerick it doesn't seem like a huge inconvenience. IMO this office is a waste of tax payers money anyhow. All the services can be accessed online or by telephone. Who is to say it won't go when the public sector eventually has to start making redundancies anyway.

As stated, this is your opinion/assumption and not Fact. Its unusual when contradicting someone for making assumptions, that your counter the argument with your own assumption!

There is no guarantee that it won't be rezoned with the existing authority.

A possibility, not a fact. Not a basis to form an argument!

Most did not make a conscious decision to live outside the boundary. Most including myself see SB & Westbury as a suburb of Limerick.

SB & Westbury are both within County Clare. By purchasing a house there, you bought a house in County Clare. It may be a surburb of Limerick City, but its still County Clare. You therefore made a conscious decision to purchase your house in that particular estate, in County Clare!

• Advertisement

Clare FF TD Will Not Support Government On Boundary Issue

News - Local
    Wednesday, 13 October 2010 12:35
    Written by Conor Joyce 0 Comments
    emailButton.png printButton.png pdf_button.png

timmy-dooley_thumb_medium91_169.jpg
    Clare Fianna Fáil TD Timmy Dooley has told An Taoiseach Brian Cowen TD, members of the Cabinet and his Fianna Fáil Parliamentary Party colleagues that he will not support any legislation that looks to move the Limerick boundary into Clare.

Deputy Dooley’s comments come as disgruntled Fianna Fail TD for Kildare South today questioned Taoiseach Brian Cowen's leadership for a second time. Sean Power has suggested Mr. Cowen should not lead the party into the next general election.
    Deputy Dooley was speaking on his motion rejecting the proposed extension of Limerick City into Clare during a meeting of the Fianna Fáil Parliamentary Party.

The motion, which received unanimous support from the parliamentary party said, “That this parliamentary party supports the decision of Clare County Council to protect its boundary and rejects the proposed extension of Limerick City into south east Clare.” [/B]“I was very grateful that my Fianna Fáil party colleagues backed my motion, with several members speaking in favour of my proposal,” Deputy Dooley said. “Given how strongly I feel about this subject and how sensitive an issue it is in Clare, I felt I had to leave the Taoiseach and the Government in no doubt as to where I stood.”

“I told everyone at the parliamentary party meeting that as far as I was concerned the proposals brought forward to extend the Limerick boundary into Clare were illegitimate, unnecessary and farcical in the extreme. I also told all my Fianna Fáil colleagues that if the Government brought forward any legislation to enact the boundary change, I would not support it.”

“This is not something that you do without a great deal of thought and consideration. However I felt that given the way this process has been moving and the manner in which the Limerick authorities have been managing this process, I felt I had to take a clear stand. This amounts to little more than a land grab by Limerick City Council and I’m disgusted that they should try to do this, especially when you consider they are trying to force this through without consulting with the people of Clare.”

“Everyone in south east Clare is very concerned by this issue. I see no reason why this boundary change should ever be considered at Government level. My parliamentary party colleagues clearly understood the case I put forward so my hope now is that the Government will put an end to this nonsense,” Deputy Dooley concluded.

Advertisement