Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick could have new single authority in place by 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 PSCS

kilburn wrote: »
    Has anyone spotted the Portable Road Sign at Westbury. Flashing away proclaiming the existence of Clare against Boundary Extension group. Cathal Crowe must be spending a fortune on this and the flags :rolleyes:

FYI - Neither Cathal Crowe or any other political representitive spent a penny on either flashing road signs or flags! The Protest held yesterday was held by local people, both from Clare and Limerick, living in the affected areas in the vast majority who do not want the existing boundary to be interferred with! To have up to 1500 marching is a serious number of people who got up off their Sunday Sofa's and is an indication of the discontenet evident in the area in relation to the topic! I met many people at the march who were originally from Limerick County & City and now living in South east Clare who are against the Boundary Extension. The march was not anti Limerick but anti Boundary Extension. For those that took part, there was a great feeling of community spirit evident and this may be the first installment of local protest should Mr.Gormley not take note! The area is in County Clare and there it will stay. (Forgot too mention, it was a public rally so RSF were entitled to be there if they so wished. There was'nt exactly a queue forming to ask them to leave, for reasons clearly evident to those present I'm sure!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Why did you pick Sunday afternoon?
    Who is paying for the flags and sign?
    Local residents, I dont think so !
    Why Sunday afternoon ?
    Why not any morning at 9am or 5:30 pm when ye are all coming to Limerick for jobs and education? You dont want to be part of Limerick City but you are very happy for our fire brigade to put your house fires out ! Didnt hear ye jumping up and down in outrage when RTE reported that savage assault at Applegreen as being Westbury/Shannon Banks Limerick, ye didnt come out screaming that it was part of Clare then.
    These rallys are all politically orchestrated because one anti Limeick Councillor is terrifed of losing his seat when the estates are gone into the City.

Why did you pick Sunday afternoon?
    I myself did not pick anything. What I can suggest is that the rally was held at a time which would give it the biggets possibility of getting the local support. I dont know what kind of a job you have, but my own employer would not be mad about people arriving late or leaving early! Im sure this would be the norm in the current econonmic climate. But maybe your employer is different!

Who is paying for the flags and sign?
    Flags were erected by Parteen GAA Club in recognition of the Clare Minor hurling team reaching the All Ireland Final 4 weeks ago. The Club had a member on the Panel. In 95 when the Clare Seniors and 97 when the Clare Seniors and Minors reached the All Ireland Finals, the same was done.

The Flashing sign was erected by the organisers of yesterdays rally in order to communicate the information re starting times/place etc., I would presume.

Local residents, I dont think so !
    Well, I know so! Were you at the rally? I was! I talked with many people at it including people I had not met previously from Shannon Banks & Westbury! Lets stick to the facts, not your opinion!

Why Sunday afternoon ?
    As Answered above!

Why not any morning at 9am or 5:30 pm when ye are all coming to Limerick for jobs and education? You dont want to be part of Limerick City but you are very happy for our fire brigade to put your house fires out !
    The protest was against the Boundary extension, not Limerick City or its people. The protest was a peaceful protest and was carried out in that same fashion.
    Work - Just to note, many Limerick people have worked in Ardnacrusha power station down the years, as well as those that currently work in the Shannon industrial estate etc. If you are propossing that work is not given to those outside the county boundaries,well its a noval political stance but one Im not too sure will catch on!
    Education-Just a reminder that UL is based on both sides of the shannon at the moment. Accomodation and various new faculty buildings are located in Clare. Do you propose that only Clare people use these facilities?
    As regards the fire Brigade point, not really valid to be fair. Will that mean that the coast guard helicopter based at Shannon cannot be used outside of Clare? Once again, not a policy you'll gain too much support for! And yes the one statement I will fully agree with in your post, We do not want to be part of Limerick City! That is our choice to make.

Didnt hear ye jumping up and down in outrage when RTE reported that savage assault at Applegreen as being Westbury/Shannon Banks Limerick, ye didnt come out screaming that it was part of Clare then.
    The reports I heard myself indicated that the unfortunate incident occured at a filling station in corbally, near Limerick City. Geographically, I would consider this to be correct. The incident in itself was more of a serious issue than any boundary extension. A young mans life was very nearly taken as far as I can remember. For the record, I will publically declare that the location of the attack was at the Apple Green Filling Station, County Clare at the time, County Clare Presently and County Clare in the Future.

These rallys are all politically orchestrated because one anti Limeick Councillor is terrifed of losing his seat when the estates are gone into the City.
    Once again this is your opinion and your entitled to your opinion.Altough I was not involved in the organising of the parade, I do know numerous people who were. I can give you a factual statement that no councillor/politician was involved in the organising of the rally. As a matter of fact, they were denied the opportunity to speak at the end of the rally. The only time the rally was addressed was by the chairman of the organising committee who thanked everyone who attended for their support! This was a locally organised rally for a local issue supported by locals! It was not politically orchestrated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollypocket10

I seriously doubt that 1/3 of the people affected took part.

I live in SB, My parents in Westbury and my sister also in Westbury. Of the the three households no-one has ever asked US our views on this despite CABE's claims that 90% of the people in these areas don't want the boundary extended.

I've spoken to a lot of my neighbours, and so has my sister & parents & they don't know of one person who took part.

The only 2 people I know who are from the area and took part are involved in the Parteen GAA and totally anti-limerick. It's pure snobbery with a total disregard for the bigger picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

It's pure snobbery with a total disregard for the bigger picture![/QUOTE]

Agree +1. We are all irish as the end of the day.

I would much prefer a thriving limerick, than what my postal address is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

It really is a ssimple as this.
    If it was Galway or Cork, or Dublin city extending into these areas, there would be a fraction of the "outrage".

People in this area will benifit froma stronger local authority.
    They just don't like the "name".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Parteen GAA club should have no say in the matter.

An administrative boundary is not a sporting one, the GAA can keep the Parteen GAA club in Clare for GAA purposes. This is even dealt with in the report.

It's scaremongoring Amazo.

They've been using this argument for years now and ignore the fact that they're told over and over again tha it won't effect sporting teams.
    Sure isn't there a few clubs in Leinster that this has happened to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

You was a collective term not meant specifically at you.

If you are so concerned about your employer maybe you should not go on to boards during your work hours, productivity and all that.

At the end of the day a thriving Limerick City is better for the mid west than a struggling one.

I wouldnt want to pin my hopes on Clare Co Co either, the clever people who make people pay to look over the side of a cliff.

It's scaremongoring Amazo.

They've been using this argument for years now and ignore the fact that they're told over and over again tha it won't effect sporting teams.
    Sure isn't there a few clubs in Leinster that this has happened to.

Well we live in a time when Galway or Antrim could win a Leinster Hurling title, I don't think the GAA really worries about borders, tbh. Like I said, it's dealt with in the report, there's no need to pretend it's an issue.

• Advertisement

Parteen GAA club should have no say in the matter.

An administrative boundary is not a sporting one, the GAA can keep the Parteen GAA club in Clare for GAA purposes. This is even dealt with in the report.

The division of sporting clubs was one of 4 reasons why the boundary shouldn't be extended that was quoted on the leaflet. Aside from the fact that this is dealt with in the report, a division already exists, a lot of the kids play for Abbey Sarsfields GAA (in Limerick) because they train on the grounds of Scoil Ide (again Limerick) where most if not all of the kids from SB & Westbury go to school.

Another reason was higher house & car insurance, no idea where they are getting their info from. The other two have escaped by mind.

What really annoys me though is because these few are making noise, they will probably get their way :mad:

The division of sporting clubs was one of 4 reasons why the boundary shouldn't be extended that was quoted on the leaflet. Aside from the fact that this is dealt with in the report, a division already exists, a lot of the kids play for Abbey Sarsfields GAA (in Limerick) because they train on the grounds of Scoil Ide (again Limerick) where most if not all of the kids from SB & Westbury go to school.

Another reason was higher house & car insurance, no idea where they are getting their info from. The other two have escaped by mind.

What really annoys me though is because these few are making noise, they will probably get their way :mad:

Anyone willing and able to scan the leaflet so we can read it here?

I think that one of the points was that the evil Limerickers will eat their babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

please quote where u read this point

It really is a ssimple as this.
    If it was Galway or Cork, or Dublin city extending into these areas, there would be a fraction of the "outrage".

People in this area will benifit froma stronger local authority.
    They just don't like the "name".

What we dont like is not the "name", its the fact that an area within the county clare is been transfered into a different county. I couldnt care less if it was Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick or Waterford. Yesterday was a protest against the Boundary Extension, not against Limerick! Some people are proud of their heritage, some are not. Obviously those that marched are proud of where they group up or where they now live! Its not snobbery. Do you honestly think that Clare people do not interact with Limerick People, do you think Clare people do not marry Limerick People, Do you not think Clare people are not friendly with Limerick People?? Snobbery would prevent the above. Heritage is something to be proud of and we are proud to say we are Clare people!

Maybe your not fully up to date with similar situations in the country. Ask a Kilkenny person do they mind part of their county becoming part of Waterford City? If you dont have any regard for heritage yourself, there is probably no point I trying to convince you of my concerns. I understand that some see it as not been a big issue but I hope they would appreciate that its a big issue for those in the area!

Well we live in a time when Galway or Antrim could win a Leinster Hurling title, I don't think the GAA really worries about borders, tbh. Like I said, it's dealt with in the report, there's no need to pretend it's an issue.

Are you familiar with coonagh? It was originally part of Co.Clare. The Parish is still Parteen/Meelick/Coonagh! People from Coonagh used to play with Meelick. When the Boundary was extended, those that had played with Meelick continued to do so. The next generation started playing with Limerick clubs and now all hurlers in coonagh hurl with Na Piarsigh in Limerick.

PSCS wrote: »
    What we dont like is not the "name", its the fact that an area within the county clare is been transfered into a different county. I couldnt care less if it was Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick or Waterford. Yesterday was a protest against the Boundary Extension, not against Limerick! Some people are proud of their heritage, some are not. Obviously those that marched are proud of where they group up or where they now live! Its not snobbery. Do you honestly think that Clare people do not interact with Limerick People, do you think Clare people do not marry Limerick People, Do you not think Clare people are not friendly with Limerick People?? Snobbery would prevent the above. Heritage is something to be proud of and we are proud to say we are Clare people!

Maybe your not fully up to date with similar situations in the country. Ask a Kilkenny person do they mind part of their county becoming part of Waterford City? If you dont have any regard for heritage yourself, there is probably no point I trying to convince you of my concerns. I understand that some see it as not been a big issue but I hope they would appreciate that its a big issue for those in the area!

I am from the area and I know for a fact that with the two people I mentioned it is snobbery. I've heard from the horses mouths what their opinion on the matter is. They are happy to work, shop, and send their children to school in Limerick but have the L reg on their car or Limerick in their address, not a hope in hell.

You mentioned heritage too :rolleyes: I'd say close to 90% of the people in the area are originally from Limerick. Probably another 4-5% from other counties and about 5% from Clare.
    Are you familiar with coonagh? It was originally part of Co.Clare. The Parish is still Parteen/Meelick/Coonagh! People from Coonagh used to play with Meelick. When the Boundary was extended, those that had played with Meelick continued to do so. The next generation started playing with Limerick clubs and now all hurlers in coonagh hurl with Na Piarsigh in Limerick.

And your point being? People should be able to play for whichever team they choose. Clearly they thought Na Piarsigh was a better option.

You was a collective term not meant specifically at you.

If you are so concerned about your employer maybe you should not go on to boards during your work hours, productivity and all that.

At the end of the day a thriving Limerick City is better for the mid west than a struggling one.

I wouldnt want to pin my hopes on Clare Co Co either, the clever people who make people pay to look over the side of a cliff.

I agree fully that a thriving Limerick City is better for the Mid West than a struggling one. What has this really to do with the boundarye extension? Limerick Council is completely strapped for Cash. Its struggling since the pay out to Mr.Whelan! Rates is the big issue for them! I would suggest it gets its own house in order before it interferes with those living outside its control! Limerick City is struggling due to the number of commercial centers in the sourounding areas taking business out of the city, the high business rates within the city, the lack of parking at a reasonable cost within the city and poor planning regarding the "Opera" centre. 1200 houses west of the shannon aint going to sort that for "you"!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

What about all the residents out there that use Limerick on their address to get their post faster???

I am from the area and I know for a fact that with the two people I mentioned it is snobbery. I've heard from the horses mouths what their opinion on the matter is. They are happy to work, shop, and send their children to school in Limerick but have the L reg on their car or Limerick in their address, not a hope in hell.

You mentioned heritage too :rolleyes: I'd say close to 90% of the people in the area are originally from Limerick. Probably another 4-5% from other counties and about 5% from Clare.

And your point being? People should be able to play for whichever team they choose. Clearly they thought Na Piarsigh was a better option.
    Please tell me this ia a wum????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There is only one point I would actually agree with the group behind this, that being the same as the residents in county Limerick (raheen/dooradoyle), would be the horror of Limerick City Council running any part of the area - because we have all seen how good they are at ruining the city!

So apart from gaining a bigger city which would be great for the region, the people controlling the city would be the single most disastrous thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

Joining in this deabte late and haven't read much of it so far but here's my view for what it's worth.

The county boundaries should remain as is and a regional (Mid West) authority should take over the admin of the region.

People are entitled to their heritage and identities and this shouldn't be removed by the stroke of a pen.

Please tell me this ia a wum????

I'm sorry. I don't understand the question!

I'm sorry. I don't understand the question!

Im from a GAA background and understand that not everyone is familiar with its founding rules. Your comment that a person should choose what ever club they want would be seen as completely against everything the GAA stands for. Hence why I thought you were a "wind up merchant!" You said the report dealt with this issue but it has not dealt with it adequately! This is only one of my concerns with the Boundary Extension but it has a major impact on myself personnally! Everyone will have their own reasons for or against!

phog wrote: »
    Joining in this deabte late and haven't read much of it so far but here's my view for what it's worth.

The county boundaries should remain as is and a regional (Mid West) authority should take over the admin of the region.

People are entitled to their heritage and identities and this shouldn't be removed by the stroke of a pen.

+1

20 years ago Westbury didn't even exist so I don't see what the big deal is with the GAA. They were able to change to include Westbury in the Parteen GAA team so why can't they change to exclude them?

There has always been a division in Shannon Banks , still is in both Westbury & SB. In fact as a child I played for both Parteen & Abbey Sarsfields at different times. The boundary extension isn't going to make it any different.

There is also a much bigger picture to think about than the GAA imo, like jobs, the economy etc. The boundary extension will impact the whole mid-west positively.

And before Coonagh was in clare it was part of Limerick, and before that both were part of Thomond.

Was Na Piarsigh established when the Coonagh players used to go to Meelick? Most parents will send their kids to the club nearest them, regardless of the county boundary, iirc, Na Piarsigh is only 40 or so years old, which makes it younger than any boundary extension including Coonagh in Limerick, afaik.

The GAA issue should be put aside as it is already dealt with.

And before Coonagh was in clare it was part of Limerick, and before that both were part of Thomond.

Was Na Piarsigh established when the Coonagh players used to go to Meelick? Most parents will send their kids to the club nearest them, regardless of the county boundary, iirc, Na Piarsigh is only 40 or so years old, which makes it younger than any boundary extension including Coonagh in Limerick, afaik.

The GAA issue should be put aside as it is already dealt with.

I Respect that the GAA issue may be seen as trivial to everyone outside of it, but it is a major issue for those of us within it.

Point of note: Lanahrone, where Parteen St.Nicholas GAA grounds is located, is in the heart of westbury. It is there since 1985 I am informed. No houses were in the area at the time bar Shannon Banks. Westbury has been developed over the past 20 years. Within that time, over 900 houses have been built. Thats twice the size of South Hill. (Not derrogatory, just information). Its probably bigger than most villages in the area. The only facilities within the estate for young people is the GAA Grounds. Parteen St. Nicholas have provided an outlet for these youngsters and have developed the club into one which provides for the community. No other facilities of a recreational nature! That to me spells trouble! The club at the moment is vibrant. It now has 90 camoige players from 8 - 16 alone training when previously it failed to have 1 team. The amount of parents getting involved who had no previous GAA history is remarkable. It is becoming a centre to the community. If the club suffers due to the Boundary extension, it may well have an impact on the future generations in the area. It is critical for westbury that the GAA not alones stays vibrant, but that it continues to grow!

20 years ago Westbury didn't even exist so I don't see what the big deal is with the GAA. They were able to change to include Westbury in the Parteen GAA team so why can't they change to exclude them?

There has always been a division in Shannon Banks , still is in both Westbury & SB. In fact as a child I played for both Parteen & Abbey Sarsfields at different times. The boundary extension isn't going to make it any different.

There is also a much bigger picture to think about than the GAA imo, like jobs, the economy etc. The boundary extension will impact the whole mid-west positively.

How will the Clare Boundary extension benefit the whole mid west? 1200 houses? Im interested in hearing the logic. Please tell me what will be different if it goes ahead compared to the moment. Remember we are talking about the Clare boundary extension in isolation?

• Advertisement

I Respect that the GAA issue may be seen as trivial to everyone outside of it, but it is a major issue for those of us within it.

Point of note: Lanahrone, where Parteen St.Nicholas GAA grounds is located, is in the heart of westbury. It is there since 1985 I am informed. No houses were in the area at the time bar Shannon Banks. Westbury has been developed over the past 20 years. Within that time, over 900 houses have been built. Thats twice the size of South Hill. (Not derrogatory, just information). Its probably bigger than most villages in the area. The only facilities within the estate for young people is the GAA Grounds. Parteen St. Nicholas have provided an outlet for these youngsters and have developed the club into one which provides for the community. No other facilities of a recreational nature! That to me spells trouble! The club at the moment is vibrant. It now has 90 camoige players from 8 - 16 alone training when previously it failed to have 1 team. The amount of parents getting involved who had no previous GAA history is remarkable. It is becoming a centre to the community. If the club suffers due to the Boundary extension, it may well have an impact on the future generations in the area. It is critical for westbury that the GAA not alones stays vibrant, but that it continues to grow!

No offence, but none of that answers what I asked about the origin of na Piarsaigh and Coonagh.

Also, people will still be available to go to Parteen GAA club, it's a boundary for administration purposes, that's all.

Advertisement