Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest chancer customers you have dealt with?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

latenia wrote: »
    But he looks like such an upstanding citizen :confused:

He is a liar and a plight on socity, never ever believe this total scum bag, if you see him on the street, run him down with your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Worked in an estate agents as the front desk man (don't ask) one summer and was told we had no more rentals to let. A customer comes in and says he'd like to make a complaint and get a refund for a flat across the street which I could actually see. I assure him we were not renting the place but he pulled out a fake lease form out with al lthe details filled in with the estate agents name and details all on it. I basically laughed him out of the shop but he kept coming back :mad:. Eventually the main lad in the business came back and got rid of him :pac:

Really strange story now I look back at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭davocesque

workin in a bar, a customer came up and said i gave him change out of a twenty when he claimed to have paid with a fifty (not the first time i heard this), usually if theyre persistent, you'd have to count the till make sure it balanced, but this time i went to the till, there wasnt even a fifty in it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

i watched a woman in front of me at the cinema swear up and down her daughter was 12, even though she was about 5'8 and looked about 17. She was yelling she was tall for her age and was entitled to a childs ticket and no way was she as old as she looked - finally the cashier told her that okay she would accept that her daughter was 12 but the film they wanted to see was a 15 so she wouldn't be allowed in..... the whole queue was laughing.

Your one was an idiot, but in fairness, I was 5'7 at the age of 11 (and kept growing), and at the time it was impossible to get photo ID. IIRC you couldn't even get your own passport as a child except under very limited circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

He is a liar and a plight on socity, never ever believe this total scum bag, if you see him on the street, run him down with your car.

Ah go on, some details please? What scams has he tried/done? Or can ya not say?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I've seen two drug dependant people eating out of the salad bar in a supermarket and when the security started kicking them out, they were shouting that they were only testing it before they bought it.

Turned me off salad bars indeffinitly.

eeuuggghhh...were they actually eating from serving spoons that other people would use to fill their containers?!:eek:
    Gross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Lux23 wrote: »
    You put tagged razors in your pocket so you could catch her? Wow I am pretty sure that isn't allowed. Give them a uniform and they think their Hitler. :rolleyes:

i got her for shoplifting a year or so ago from another shop however the law states that in this different shop she is innocent. I know differently of her and her sister so you have to think on your feet.

Saft Hans wrote: »
    You do realise that you have just basically told a lot of people a way to steal now??

have you noticed shop dont really sell them anymore anyways thats an old trick

we always had a couple of school kids in for lucnh etc and around now at back to school it get worst for the chancers and robbers.

anyways these 1st years came in one day about 5 of them and they put theur rolls into one lads bag in front of the deli staff. I got the call from the staff member and myself and another manager went to check it out.

we followed the lad around and he got wind of us following him so he started to panic. now you dont break the law until you cross the threshold of the shop so at this point he technically did'nt do anything wrong however in his mind he did. all he had to do was drop them and there was nothing we could do about it.

so I waited outside the door and we backed off following the guy but he was followed on the cameras and he just walked straight out into our trap.

brought him and his mate upstairs and called the cops. when the cops came they were nice as pie etc took them away etc

their parents came in a few days later to apoligise and pay us and told us that the two boys actually **** their pants when they saw us outside waiting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shakeandbake!

Great thread this!

I used to be a manager in our family run hotel a few years ago. Very busy place, had a great carvery and a lively bar/lounge. In the 9 years i worked there i saw some quare stunts pulled, this one in particular i always remember.....

A family of 3 used to come in for the sunday carvery around 2-3pm and while the wife and kid were queing for food the husband would come to the bar for a pint. Big lump of a fella, dressed to the nine's, permatanned, jewellery, sunglasses on the head, with a real air of self-importance. "Pint of bud there please sunshine" to one of the young bar staff, so he gets his pint, pays for it, and gulps down nearly half of it. Cue cringing face with expression like he swallowed sour milk or something, "Jesus that's rotten, very bad pint, can you change it?" Now i'm down the other end of the bar busy serving other customers but still keeping an eye on how this was unfolding. Young barman, a very good one at that, asks me for the ok to change it, so i nod yeah and yer man gets his new pint. I put it down to the glass having not being washed properly as i knew that the Bud was fine cause we had a few regulars there drinking it.
    So anyway a couple of sundays later i'm there behind the bar flat out when this guy asks me for a pint of Bud, no bother, pint served and paid for and guess what?...yep, it's another "bad pint" after half of it being swallowed.
    Straight away i knew the **** was a cheap ass chancer. Young barman was beside me and i told him "watch this, i'll nail this ****er", so i apologised profusely to yer man and told him i'd fill him a new pint.
    Now the regulars at the end of the bar (L - shaped counter) could see the craic unfolding. I took in his "bad pint" and it was hidden from his view, (the beer taps were in a box section), i closed the flow control knob and pulled down the tap so it looked like i was filling a new one. I topped up his "bad pint" and put a lovely fluffy head on it, handed it back to him and said "try that now, it should be ok". He gulped it down and sighed satisfactorily "ah yeah that ones grand"!!!! At shis stage the regulars at the end of the bar were in stitches, and i had decided that it was time for revenge. So i told him he was drinking the same pint and that i had topped it up and that he had some cheek pulling a stunt like that, well he flipped, demanded to see owner, manager etc.....I informed him that he was speaking to who he was looking for and i lifted his "bad pint" poured it down the sink, went to the till and got him his €3.50 and told him to get out and not darken the door of the place again. He pulled the wife and kid from the carvery queue and scurried out the door to the pisstaking of the locals!!:D:D
    Cheeky F***er.

• Advertisement

raveni wrote: »
    Ah go on, some details please? What scams has he tried/done? Or can ya not say?:confused:

His chancer days are getting limited, haha! Last time he was in he threatened me cause I wouldn't serve the C U Next Tuesday. I hope he finally takes the messageand leaves for goodbut he's a squrmy little prick as anyone who has ever delt with him can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Great thread this!

I used to be a manager in our family run hotel a few years ago. Very busy place, had a great carvery and a lively bar/lounge. In the 9 years i worked there i saw some quare stunts pulled, this one in particular i always remember.....

A family of 3 used to come in for the sunday carvery around 2-3pm and while the wife and kid were queing for food the husband would come to the bar for a pint. Big lump of a fella, dressed to the nine's, permatanned, jewellery, sunglasses on the head, with a real air of self-importance. "Pint of bud there please sunshine" to one of the young bar staff, so he gets his pint, pays for it, and gulps down nearly half of it. Cue cringing face with expression like he swallowed sour milk or something, "Jesus that's rotten, very bad pint, can you change it?" Now i'm down the other end of the bar busy serving other customers but still keeping an eye on how this was unfolding. Young barman, a very good one at that, asks me for the ok to change it, so i nod yeah and yer man gets his new pint. I put it down to the glass having not being washed properly as i knew that the Bud was fine cause we had a few regulars there drinking it.
    So anyway a couple of sundays later i'm there behind the bar flat out when this guy asks me for a pint of Bud, no bother, pint served and paid for and guess what?...yep, it's another "bad pint" after half of it being swallowed.
    Straight away i knew the **** was a cheap ass chancer. Young barman was beside me and i told him "watch this, i'll nail this ****er", so i apologised profusely to yer man and told him i'd fill him a new pint.
    Now the regulars at the end of the bar (L - shaped counter) could see the craic unfolding. I took in his "bad pint" and it was hidden from his view, (the beer taps were in a box section), i closed the flow control knob and pulled down the tap so it looked like i was filling a new one. I topped up his "bad pint" and put a lovely fluffy head on it, handed it back to him and said "try that now, it should be ok". He gulped it down and sighed satisfactorily "ah yeah that ones grand"!!!! At shis stage the regulars at the end of the bar were in stitches, and i had decided that it was time for revenge. So i told him he was drinking the same pint and that i had topped it up and that he had some cheek pulling a stunt like that, well he flipped, demanded to see owner, manager etc.....I informed him that he was speaking to who he was looking for and i lifted his "bad pint" poured it down the sink, went to the till and got him his €3.50 and told him to get out and not darken the door of the place again. He pulled the wife and kid from the carvery queue and scurried out the door to the pisstaking of the locals!!:D:D
    Cheeky F***er.

Great post! But what a bizarre gobsheen. There wasn't anything in it for him in pulling the stunt - all he got was the free sup of the first pint.
    Any other episodes?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shakeandbake!

Great post! But what a bizarre gobsheen. There wasn't anything in it for him in pulling the stunt - all he got was the free sup of the first pint.
    Any other episodes?

I could write a book on the shenanigans that went on in that place!!
    A lot of it x-rated and very funny, it's unreal what goes on in hotels, especially places that are run in an informal way, much like a pub but with bedrooms for the customers!

As for the subject at hand we'd have a lot of the usual stuff, people complaining about food and demanding discounts......but after they'd eaten maybe 90% of it! We had a policy of dismissing these out of hand.
    Refusal to pay was threatened with Gardai being called, settled fairly quick then;).

As for the accomadation end of things it was unreal the amount of people that would book in under single occupancy and end up sneaking wives/girlfriends/husbands/boyfriends in. Payment policy for rooms was settlement upon check-in so things could and often did get narky in the morning when they were asked for the extra payment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

spudd wrote: »
    forgot about this guy - not really a chancer as such, but completely dodge

was on my own one sunday while the manager went to get his lunch, a guy came up to me at the till with bruises and dried blood all over him, clothes were in tatters, he was shaking and smelled of drink. asked me if i had a phone charger he could use, started spouting some bull**** story about being released from hospital after an operation and needing to ring his wife, wanted to use the phone in the shop, seemed really dodgy....was just trying to work out how loud i'd need to scream if he tried anything for the guys across the road to hear me when my boss came back in and turfed him out pretty quickly

I think I know the guy you're on about. He looks like Brendan Gleeson, but short and dirty with a bad beard.

He hangs around bus stops telling people he needs spare change for a bus to Galway. His story goes that he's in town to see an old school friend for a big anniversary. He gets beaten up and robbed after the party, ends up in the Regional Hospital and is given bad old clothes to keep him warm after he's released. He tried it on with me on Henry Street back in April, but I've seen him doing the same thing on William Street and outside Arthur's Quay shopping-centre all summer.

I walked past him in Raheen today and he couldn't even look me in the eye, the dodge old prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Irishoz

I was sitting in McDonalds using the wifi and having a coffee, and this beggar woman came up to my table looking for change, I refused. About 20 mins later when most of the people had circulated through and new people were in, she came in again and did the same thing...I refused again to give her anything again. Then as she walked away her MOBILE PHONE rang. She answered it and it was her son or someone looking for her to pick him him! She was like 'yeah, I'll collect ya at 5!' Unbelievable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Flew to London last year for work and walking up Moorgate was approached by a dodgy looking bloke with a VERY realistic latex stab wound pouring with blood from his forearm. Asked if I could give him money for a cab to the hospital :rolleyes:. Apparantly this is common enough in London.

I think I had someone trying to pull a fast one today. She bought €5 euro worth of phone credit and gave me a €50. I'm very sure I handed her back the correct change. I only had 2 20s in the till at the time. Also I'm very careful with change and normally end up counting it about 5 times before handing it to someone.
    The woman claimed I left her 20 short. I knew I had given her the right amount and insisted on it. My manager had to count my till and it wasn't missing any money. She left soon after then without much fuss (Odd for someone who would be short changed €20). We looked at the security camera and it's hard to see but it does look like her left hand vanishes to her pocket as soon as I gave her change. It looks like she stands there for 20 seconds with her hand in her pocket doing nothing.
    I'm 90% sure she was trying a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

krudler wrote: »
    A woman whose 5 year old dropped his new PSP down the stairs christmas morning tried to tell me it was within her rights to expect a refund or replacement, lulz.The thing was in bits inside in the box but she just couldnt get why I wouldnt give her a brand new one, only a week old, still has the reciept, going to Joe Duffy, blah blah blah.

Worst Christmas ever for that kid lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

one miserable old bastard of a customer, a farmer in his 50's, not short on money at all, he is barred from the other pub i worked in and was in at a funcition in another place i worked so he wasn't barred in this place, he comes up to bar, orders a list of drinks, usually a brandy(double) and a few bottles of bud or other largers, the just at the end orders a pint of guinness!

now usually when people order guinness you would put it on first, get them the rest of their order then when finished with rest of their order the guinnes is ready! but doesnt he go and take the rest of the drink, say sher il be back for the guinness and says he will pay when he gets back up! it was a big funcition, few hundred people in a big place,two rooms and he never comes back for the guinness or to pay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

Work in a hotel near the border and at Northern weddings they always visit the off license first and bring their own supplies. Nothing wrong with that as it means we have quieter night at work and I get paid the same no matter how much drink is sold. What is funny is the boys coming up saying, "I got this bottle off you and it's warm, will you change it?" You look at bottle and say back. That's different from ours. You haven't your own with have you. Cue drinking of warm bottle. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭YouTalkinToMe

When im cashing up i count the money in front of a mirror incase i rob myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jimmyneo1

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Flew to London last year for work and walking up Moorgate was approached by a dodgy looking bloke with a VERY realistic latex stab wound pouring with blood from his forearm. Asked if I could give him money for a cab to the hospital :rolleyes:. Apparantly this is common enough in London.

I know that f***er. I used to live around the Liverpool St station area in London. Stopped me on the way to work looking for money for a cab to Homerton hospital. I gave him £2, about a month later I saw him again, same routine, same wound in same place, told him to feck off that time.
    But as you said, the stab wound on his arm looked very very realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lux23 wrote: »
    You put tagged razors in your pocket so you could catch her? Wow I am pretty sure that isn't allowed. Give them a uniform and they think their Hitler. :rolleyes:

ah give over, pity there arent more people like him to be honest. the place is full of people scamming the country and getting away with it, due to lack of evidence or incompetance from the police. i would have planted something in the c*nts bag to be honest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭KevArno

When I was about 16, on my first job in a petrol station, I was doing all the general forecourt work, filling petrol/diesel/gas and washing cars and the usual stuff. I had an guy in his 50's or 60's ask me to fill his petrol for him, and when I was finished he had to bring it over to check tyre pressures oil etc.
    Anyway I went back into the shop and when he came in to buy his bit of shopping he was asked for the money for the fuel at which point he flipped and told the guy on the tills (in front of a large amount of other customers) that he had paid me for the petrol out at his car, and that I must have pocketed the cash. He even tried to stick his hands in my pockets to apparently show everyone I had it.
    I was seriously shocked, and embarrassed so I turned out my pockets, and took off my fleece and he still maintained I had it on me somewhere.
    Manager stood by me, told the customer that he wouldnt have me working there if he didnt trust me. But behind our backs the shop owner gave this guy fuel vouchers as "compensation"... Biggest pain of it all was that I had to fill his poxy banger with fuel twice more over the coming weeks as he used his vouchers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Check this small thread in legal discussion to hear about a chancer.Couldnt make it up!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056044727

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

not really a customer thing, but I was heading home from college in the pissing rain when a car pulled up on the street and the driver signaled me to come round to his window. I thought he was looking for directions or something but he began to recite the sob story about how he was heading up to a wedding in Donegall and didn't bring his wallet. to add to this, he didn't have enough petrol to get there.
    This man assured me that if I spotted him some money for petrol, he would give it back at the same time/place on his way home the next day!

I proceeded to walk off laughing.

You should have put your hand in your wallet and took out your middle finger.

Advertisement