Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest chancer customers you have dealt with?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Brilliant thread!
    Surely all those people that are changing prices on things and trying to scam are basically shop lifters? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

Brilliant thread!
    Surely all those people that are changing prices on things and trying to scam are basically shop lifters? :)
    I think it's a form of fraud and they can be done for it. It pisses me right off, especilly when they complain about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

I work in an off licence so most of the chancers are ID-related. My favourite one ever happened a few months ago when two girls, easily no more than 16, tried to buy about 40 cans of Druids. When I asked for ID one of them said she didn't have but that I should ask the guys across the road in the SPAR. At the time I was the only one she could see in the shop and obviously assumed that I couldn't leave it. Que me calling the other bloke from the back to mind the till for the time being and walk across the road. I knew she didn't work there but it was fun making the show of walking over and back. The best part was that she was still protesting that she worked there and that I should ask 'Aido' it actualy took me a while to get them out!!

Another favourite is when they get the details of their fake ID wrong!
    M:What age does you're ID say you are?
    C: Eh . . . 18?!
    M: No it says you're 24.
    Rule No.1 if you're going to get a fake ID at least learn what it says :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Every couple of months or so when im in Burger King i usually see a member of the heroin community (we cant call them junkies anymore ;) ) Go up to the counter, ask for something and when they are asked for money they say "My mates outside with the money, just get the meal and i will pay for it in a minute". When they are told no the response is usually "I will be back in a minute with the money", never to be seen again :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Forgot these two.

1. Customer wanting compensation credit on her account because she didn't like the song we use when customer's are on hold (telling you which song would give away who I work for), and then saying it was too loud and hurt her ears.
    2. Customer wanting compensation credit because apparently the agent in the Indian call centre was talking to her in a sexually suggestive manner while he solved her billing issue.

I'm sorry but from these two posts I can you guess who you work for, they are my billing provider, and in fairness I have wanted to throw the phone at the wall rather than hear those sh*ite songs one more time!!!

There's no torture like after being on hold for half an hour, thinking some-one has finally picked up, and then hearing the opening strains AGAIN of the sh*ttiest song they could find from a particularly sh*te band!

(You wouldn't believe which band it is)

I also agree with her about the indian customer service you finally get through to, after managing not to kill yourself from listening to hold music, they are terrible!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Used to work in a shop and a guy used to do this all the time, but with the fruit. Ya wouldnt mind if it was a couple of extra grapes or somethin, but he load up, and only pay around 20c.
    One day I said "oh its not scanning hold on and ill go and get another sticker for ya" Tried to say hed get it himself, but I was like "Oh its no problem, Ill sort it for ya"

Another woman used to come in and take all da magazines out of the papers.

Also at the end of the day, the pastry and cakes that had been sitttin out all day would get bagged, and youd get around 6 pieces for 70c and theyd sit in the bargain basket thing.

This woman used to fill them with all the expensive pastries that werent on offer, and swap the stickers. Shed have about 5 or 6 euros worth and try and get it for bout 70c.

You should have held the tub of coleslaw down on the scales and printed off the sticker so the bastard winds up paying 20 quid for a euro container.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I'm sorry but from these two posts I can you guess who you work for, they are my billing provider,

I also agree with her about the indian customer service you finally get through to, after managing not to kill yourself from listening to hold music, they are terrible!
    Ah you're just upset because the indian call centre wasn't coming on to you.:p
    I'm PRETTY sure I don't work for your billing provider, mainly because my employers don't provide a service in Ireland. :rolleyes:

3. "I dial this number expecting to speak to an english person and instead I get through to some stupid Indian in tech support, and NOW you're telling me I'm speaking to an Irish person!? This is upsetting me now. There better be some sort of compensation for this or I'm going to Ofcom."
    "Um....nope."
    "Well I want to speak to an english person! WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ME TO DO?"
    "Hang up and call back...or you could just accept it."
    "........*click*"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

piby wrote: »
    I work in an off licence so most of the chancers are ID-related. My favourite one ever happened a few months ago when two girls, easily no more than 16, tried to buy about 40 cans of Druids. When I asked for ID one of them said she didn't have but that I should ask the guys across the road in the SPAR. At the time I was the only one she could see in the shop and obviously assumed that I couldn't leave it. Que me calling the other bloke from the back to mind the till for the time being and walk across the road. I knew she didn't work there but it was fun making the show of walking over and back. The best part was that she was still protesting that she worked there and that I should ask 'Aido' it actualy took me a while to get them out!!

Rule No.1 if you're going to get a fake ID at least learn what it says :rolleyes:

I look quite young but I am in my late twenty's. I do bring ID with me when buying booze as I am aware of this fact. Recently I was asked for ID, upon producing it instead of just looking at it he deciding to query me on my age. Now it being a number of years since I cared about my exact age, I actually got it wrong.

Queue the hilarious antics of trying to get your valid passport back off some snotty nosed punk in a off-license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭spudd

met a fair few chancers while working in a mens clothes shop...best ones were the couple who threatened to ring joe duffy about me because i wouldnt give her a refund for her son's jeans...even though it was 6 months after the refund date, she didn't have a receipt and the jeans had been on sale. she asked for a contact number for head office so gave her one for denmark, i'm sure she had great craic trying to complain to them

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

ok, I work in a cinema part-time. Couple of months ago Kick-Ass was out, 16's film, if your not 16 your not coming in, I don't really care if mammy said it was OK for you to see it.

4 teenagers walk up to my till, the first one asks for a ticket to Kick-Ass. They dont look any where near 16.

Teenager1: One for Kick-Ass please.
    Me: Yeah, what age are you?
    Teenager1: erm (looks at info board, obviously sees 16's cert) im 16
    Me: Sorry, I dont believe that you are, have you got any proof like a school card or passport.
    Teenager1: no
    Me: Sorry your not getting in so (to the rest) and neither are any of ye
    Teenager2: ya spa were all 16, why aren't ya letting us in
    Me: Cos i dont think ye are, prove me wrong.

They go away, look at the listings, come back

Teenager3: can i get a ticket to [other film, i forget]
    Me: you can, €9.80 please.
    Teenager3: thats an adult price
    Me: i know it is, you swore you 16 a few mins ago, that makes you an adult
    Teenager3: ****ing stupid
    Me: :D

if they hadn't of called me a spa i would of given em a cheaper price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

a woman once, where I worked, decided that the till operator was thick so as she loaded her good from the trolly to the belt the odd item got tossed into the front basket of the trolly.

anyways the checkout girl told me later and I reviewed it on camera. next time she was in I waited at the back of the tills and she did it again plain and simple for all to see. She had her mother involved too.

anyways rules state that the person who leave with the goods is the guilty party. Went after her did the usual " an issue with your shopping please follow me"

in the office told her why she was there and asked her for her receipt, she handed it to me and then started on at her mother to get her tablets and inhaler etc. we have to oblige however when the mother got back they started on about getting compo if Tesco last year for false accucation.

she also stated "i never been in trouble before". after we got the best part of €100 worth of goods that she didnt pay for. Called the cops and they were on first name basis with her, she was only after getting out of prision the week before and her first port of call was my shop. she was done for both.

could be here for a while,

one bloke came in on december 22nd and decided to help himself to a crate of Bud from our large display. Manager and myself got him and beer back seconds later.

did the usual calling the guards etc and when they came they asked the manager if we wanted to prosceute, which we always do, however my manager was feeling festive and decided to give him a break.

However the guards brought my manager outside and asked him to reconsider and he said yes this time.

they took him away and usually last we ever hear at store level however guards came back in new year for statements etc which was odd however turned out the bloke was biggest drug dealer in the town and was given parole 1 year into a 5 year stint with strict conditions on that morning.

he was back in that night and did 3 more years of his sentence.

ps there are loads more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

ps there are loads more

go on, I'm counting down the minutes until I can leave work so it doesn't look like I'm leaving too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I sell software business to business, both standard and bespoke. My biggest chancer client is the one who says "you're the developers, you develop something then we'll test it, tell you if we like it or not and if not you can develop something else. Don't be asking us how we want to run our business you should know that"!!!
    I'm fed up of them right now and want to tell them to take whole project and stuff it. Every company is different, with different procedures and requirements. I'm NOT a mind reader.
    AHHHHHHH meeting with my directors on Monday and my gut is saying issue them a solicitors letter that either they tell us what they want to finish the project, or we come to an agreement on amounts outstanding and walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭spudd

forgot about this guy - not really a chancer as such, but completely dodge

was on my own one sunday while the manager went to get his lunch, a guy came up to me at the till with bruises and dried blood all over him, clothes were in tatters, he was shaking and smelled of drink. asked me if i had a phone charger he could use, started spouting some bull**** story about being released from hospital after an operation and needing to ring his wife, wanted to use the phone in the shop, seemed really dodgy....was just trying to work out how loud i'd need to scream if he tried anything for the guys across the road to hear me when my boss came back in and turfed him out pretty quickly

Dermo wrote: »
    go on, I'm counting down the minutes until I can leave work so it doesn't look like I'm leaving too early.

quick one,

local alco come in one afternoon and goes to the offy get 4 cans of bulmers however proceeds to go around the shop(odd bahaviour) anyways we follow him and he "hides" the bulmers under the shelves nearest the doors.

he leaves we put bulmers back, he comes back hour later and "falls" at that spot where he "hid" his bulmers. look on his face was priceless.

5 mins later he hides another 4 bulmers again like WTF

this time kind word in his ear to fcuk off

ok looking like this one time and band camp.......

a woman I knew from another work place was now shopping in my new job. anyways couldnt do anything knowing she was a shoplifter however I followed her around.

rules state that you have to see every second of their visit for a complete water tight legal case.

anyways its sunday and im the only manager on duty so im hit with all the customer queries etc so i cant see fully what she is doing.

as she leave I put a tagged packet of razors into my pocket and walk out beside her. Me setting off the alarm I tell her she must have bought something that was not properly untagged.

she gave me her bag and sure enough there are a few packs of mince in it. as i question her she walks off and goes back to her car which has her bf and kid in it. I polietly as her to come back inside and she refuses.

I stand at the back of the car to prevent it moving and I call the cops. they attempt to move the car in reverse amd i call the cops again. I hear the siren up the street and they tear into the car park.

anyways long story shorter car impounded for no tax or insurance and bf arrested for such, woman arrested for theft from the store and social service called for the kid as the father is unavailable to collect.

all i wanted to do was her to admit theft so I could bar her from the shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

piby wrote: »

Ha i used to get served illegally from the age of 14-18 by an off licence run by Indians. Anytime i would go in there for beer they would just ask how old i was and i would always say i'm 19. (cos it sounds better:D).

So on my 18th birthday i walked in with a big 'i am 18' badge on.

He said "so your 18 today? You've been 19 for about the last 4 years":D

Gave me free beer that day and all:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

anyways long story shorter car impounded for no tax or insurance and bf arrested for such, woman arrested for theft from the store and social service called for the kid as the father is unavailable to collect.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

David Cranny is the biggest chancer.

If you ever see this chancer, never EVER serve him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

Elaborate please???:confused::confused:
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

But he looks like such an upstanding citizen :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

If you're from around Balbriggan, I'm sure you know the greasy old wench who goes around begging people with her massive belly and bingo wings hanging out (even though she has a house and a car). Anyway, she had been barred from the shop for opening packets and eating things while walking around the shop and asking customers for money (She used to ask members of staff to read her horoscopes to her as well). So we seen her come in one day and the manager went up to kick her out. She started trying to walk further into the shop so the manager stood right up against her. So she promptly p1ssed herself and says "Ya won't touch me know will ya?". Smelly old wagon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Years and years back when I was a poor student getting paid peanuts in a Newsagents this well dressed guy bought around £10 worth of ciggies and hung around for a while (it was one of those busy spells on a Sunday afternoon). When that was done he was back at the counter all pals and had around £30 worth of camera batteries that he had bought from the boss (his mate 'joe') a couple of weeks back but they were the wrong type and 'joe' told hime to drop them back anytime for a refund.....

Thing is I recognised the 'gent' from a couple of years back where he tried a similar stunt successfully! I did the pals bit back and said 'no worries' and as it happened 'joe' was due any minute to cover me for a break and would love to see his old mate and sure let me take those cigs off you as I am sure he would not want a mate paying full whack. He kinda of froze at that point and was I think contemplating the next move (as he was likely to be £10 down). He said he would sit in the car until 'Joe' came back where upon I said no worries, let me call him and let you know. He walked out and I walked out after him with the cordless phone and gave him a little wave as he walked briskly up the road. I called the local cops who I knew well and I think they picked him up later.....

Very different to the auld codger who used to slip a dairy milk into his pocket the odd time in front of my eyes but with him it was just sad....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

ok looking like this one time and band camp.......

a woman I knew from another work place was now shopping in my new job. anyways couldnt do anything knowing she was a shoplifter however I followed her around.

rules state that you have to see every second of their visit for a complete water tight legal case.

anyways its sunday and im the only manager on duty so im hit with all the customer queries etc so i cant see fully what she is doing.

as she leave I put a tagged packet of razors into my pocket and walk out beside her. Me setting off the alarm I tell her she must have bought something that was not properly untagged.

she gave me her bag and sure enough there are a few packs of mince in it. as i question her she walks off and goes back to her car which has her bf and kid in it. I polietly as her to come back inside and she refuses.

I stand at the back of the car to prevent it moving and I call the cops. they attempt to move the car in reverse amd i call the cops again. I hear the siren up the street and they tear into the car park.

all i wanted to do was her to admit theft so I could bar her from the shop

You put tagged razors in your pocket so you could catch her? Wow I am pretty sure that isn't allowed. Give them a uniform and they think their Hitler. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

Lux23 wrote: »
    You put tagged razors in your pocket so you could catch her? Wow I am pretty sure that isn't allowed. Give them a uniform and they think their Hitler. :rolleyes:

He was right though!!

The woman was a thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭wobzilla1

We often put tags in our pockets and walk out with people to set the alarm off. They always take bottles of spirits and put them in a foil freezer bag in their backpack. It stops it from setting the alarm off, so if were not sure we set the alarm off and ask to see in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

i always throw whatever note a customer gives me on the buttons while im giving change, saves them accusing you of short changing.

Same, that way they can't say they gave you more than they did.

Working in an offo have all the usual underagers scams but got this a few weeks ago.

Guy comes in and claims that a few weeks ago a bottle of coke fell off the counter and splashed all over his wifes coat and that the manager promised to pay for the dry cleaning bill. So he claims it was 'the small girl with black hair' who is the manager who said it to him. She has no recollection of it. And unluckily for him all four people who were in that day are in that day too and none of us can remember it. He was basically trying to get us to give him money in exchange for some tattered dry cleaning bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Saft Hans

wobzilla1 wrote: »
    We often put tags in our pockets and walk out with people to set the alarm off. They always take bottles of spirits and put them in a foil freezer bag in their backpack. It stops it from setting the alarm off, so if were not sure we set the alarm off and ask to see in the bag.

You do realise that you have just basically told a lot of people a way to steal now??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Dtab

once had a customer ring up after a month of viewing the playboy channel asking for another month for free as he didn't want to pay for it as it wasn't dirty enough for him.

I pissed myself laughing when I got off the call.......needless to say he didn't get it for free, :D

Advertisement