Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile 3g - Anyone having Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Hi Pirelli

Its generally an issue with the port that causes the problem where the updated central database info about the port doesnt flow to another operator. This results in call routing issues usually just involving that operator. Its not a fault thing, its a technical issue that occurs from time to time with all operators due to the nature of the loosely coupled porting design. Vast majority of ports have no issue and its easily resovled by conatcting either customer care

regards
    Paul

Thanks Paul,

If i ring my mobile phone on my upc home phone, and i get an automated response saying the user must have their mobile phone switched off, however it's there right beside me switched on.

So i switch my mobile phone off, and back on, and then ring using upc again; and then my phone rings.
    I assume this is a problem with the actual mobile phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

pirelli wrote: »
    Thanks Paul,

If i ring my mobile phone on my upc home phone, and i get an automated response saying the user must have their mobile phone switched off, however it's there right beside me switched on.

So i switch my mobile phone off, and back on, and then ring using upc again; and then my phone rings.
    I assume this is a problem with the actual mobile phone.

Hi Pirelli

I don’t really know what you are talking about. I was referring to the previous customers issue 2 posts up with Vodafone call routing when other routes were working fine - this is a most likely a post porting issue. It bears no relation to what you have just described.

If you have an issue with your Tesco Mobile account please drop us a private message with your details and one of our reps will be glad to help

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Hi Pirelli

I don’t really know what you are talking about. I was referring to the previous customers issue 2 posts up with Vodafone call routing when other routes were working fine - this is a most likely a post porting issue. It bears no relation to what you have just described.

If you have an issue with your Tesco Mobile account please drop us a private message with your details and one of our reps will be glad to help

regards
    Paul

I am in the process of doing that Paul with Nokia, it's a technical fault, and I would assume with Nokia not the network.

Then in relation to what I have described:

I have a tesco mobile phone that is also on tesco mobile network. It doesn't work properly as described above, and as tesco mobile network has had numerous problems, i am enquiring if this fault is related to the network or to the actual phone.

Briefly: My phone at is switched on, but at random times, and out of the blue incoming calls are not being acknowledged/received by my phone; and instead the caller to my phone is given a phone switched off response. Also i know of each occasion this happens as i go to make a call, and the call won't connect. So i have the switch the phone on and off again.

I am going to have the phone sent back to be repaired/replaced at a Nokia retailer, but as it is hard to determine what the fault is exactly i am seeking any information i can to assist with fault discovery, and they require an actual fault to diagnose. If however it is network issue, and you are familiar with such an issue or if you have any knowledge of a similar network issue then i would be grateful to learn of it.

Keep up the good work

Regards

Pirelli

pirelli wrote: »
    I am in the process of doing that Paul with Nokia, it's a technical fault, and I would assume with Nokia not the network.

Then in relation to what I have described:

I have a tesco mobile phone that is also on tesco mobile network. It doesn't work properly as described above, and as tesco mobile network has had numerous problems, i am enquiring if this fault is related to the network or to the actual phone.

Briefly: My phone at is switched on, but at random times, and out of the blue incoming calls are not being acknowledged/received by my phone; and instead the caller to my phone is given a phone switched off response. Also i know of each occasion this happens as i go to make a call, and the call won't connect. So i have the switch the phone on and off again.

I am going to have the phone sent back to be repaired/replaced at a Nokia retailer, but as it is hard to determine what the fault is exactly i am seeking any information i can to assist with fault discovery, and they require an actual fault to diagnose. If however it is network issue, and you are familiar with such an issue or if you have any knowledge of a similar network issue then i would be grateful to learn of it.

Keep up the good work

Regards

Pirelli

Hi Pirelli

It does sound like a phone issue but please contact our care reps with your details and this post and they can check your account to see if there is anything at all that may be relevant to your issue.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/private.php?do=newpm&u=554494

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mikescandy

Hi, I'm having problem with messages (my guess is it's an MMS) coming from a number starting wit 087. My phone (an HTC Wildfire) displays a "Download" button in the message field, but nothing happens. I configured the MMS apn and tried to download the message using mobile data and wifi, but it seems it's not working.
    Any ideas???
    thank you!!!

• Advertisement

mikescandy wrote: »
    Hi, I'm having problem with messages (my guess is it's an MMS) coming from a number starting wit 087. My phone (an HTC Wildfire) displays a "Download" button in the message field, but nothing happens. I configured the MMS apn and tried to download the message using mobile data and wifi, but it seems it's not working.
    Any ideas???
    thank you!!!

Hi Mike

Check that the settings are exactly as in line below ( Android Settings Section ). Make sure Data Roaming is on and restart the phone once settings are changed. It will work if settings are correct.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/helpandsupport/phone-settings.aspx

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭dSleeper

Seems to be a problem with data/3g on the network today. Called customer care, and they are aware and working on the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

I have been on Tesco mobile for 3 months now and find the 3g experience sub par. Tesco might be using the same O2 network but do Tesco mobile customers get access to the exact 3g service as O2 customers? I find that my 3g reception can drop for no reason and I have to go into my iphone settings to switch on and off 3g - at least twice a day.

I have used two different iphones in this period so it is not a phone problem. I work in dublin and this is where the issues occur - so O2 reception is not a problem.

I would use between 2 to 3 gb a month so would be a heavyish user and have found the service to date very frustrating. I never had the same issues on Vodafone and I bet you normal O2 customers don't have this issue either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

rordeb wrote: »
    I have been on Tesco mobile for 3 months now and find the 3g experience sub par. Tesco might be using the same O2 network but do Tesco mobile customers get access to the exact 3g service as O2 customers? I find that my 3g reception can drop for no reason and I have to go into my iphone settings to switch on and off 3g - at least twice a day.

I have used two different iphones in this period so it is not a phone problem. I work in dublin and this is where the issues occur - so O2 reception is not a problem.

I would use between 2 to 3 gb a month so would be a heavyish user and have found the service to date very frustrating. I never had the same issues on Vodafone and I bet you normal O2 customers don't have this issue either.

Yes - in my experience, when the phone falls back to 2G due to a loss of 3G signal it can then take very long to switch back to 3G even when a strong 3G signal becomes available again.
    And also it doesn't take as long, but I also noticed the same thing when the signal is lost completely. For exemple if I get on a left where there is no reception, even after exiting the lift it can take several minutes (or dozens of minutes) for the phone to stop saying "no signal" (even thugh I clearly am in an area with strong signal).

In both cases, if I put the phone into airplane mode and then disable airplane mode again, I instantly recover full 3G signal (which shows that there is signal but the phone just doesn't try to re-attach to the network or move back to 3G - or is not allowed to do so by the network).

I am pretty sure the handover between the 2G and 3G networks and the reconnection after loosing signal does not work in the same way as with O2 customers.
    My guess is that it is due to the fact that Tesco Mobile users are considered as roaming users by the O2 network and that network access control does not work the same way when you are roaming (I tend to experience the same symptoms when using an Irish simcard on a foreign network or the other way around)

It's a bit of a joke to be limited by such issues - can make steaming and browsing a very frustrating experience. I would love to hear some comments from tesco mobile about this.

• Advertisement

Are Tesco mobile customers on some limited bandwidth constraint. The 3G in city always seems poxy at rush hour in the evenings. Never had same issues with VF.

jay93 wrote: »
    Speeds will vary alot tesco are a virtual network on the o2 network so the speeds you will get will depend on how overloaded the o2 cell is your connected to its generally ok but its not the quickest 3G ive used as o2 and tesco customers will be connecting at the same time this can put some strain on local cells and you may not even get connected at all!!

Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Hi Tesco Mobile contact.

I have to aggree with the last few posters.

I actually have a dual setup in my home office. (County Galway)

I have O2 broadband (dongle on Laptop) Speed is about 4Mbps
    I have Tesco Mobile on my Nokia Windows Smartphone. The Internet speed is 400-500Kbps

500Kbps is just about adequate for surfing the web on the phone .. not good enough for tethering you pc onto the phone though. (Which was my main reason for going for the top package €35 with 15Gb of data). Thankfully its only a 30 day contract .. were it a 12 Month or 24 Month .. I'd be phoning my solicitor !!!

So definitely Tesco Mobile are getting the short end of the wedge from O2 ... in terms of their sharing aggreement. I am probably going to switch to O2 for mobile phone as well. (I'm assuming the O2 Internet speed on the Mobile Phone will match the O2 dongle speed)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Are Tesco mobile customers on some limited bandwidth constraint. The 3G in city always seems poxy at rush hour in the evenings. Never had same issues with VF.

Yes Tesco is limiting the upload/download speed you are getting (they have confirmed this here quite a few times).

It used to be pretty horrible (edge speeds even on 3G) and now they have relaxed things a bit to make it useable; but clearly you are not getting full O2 speed.

Tesco reps can correct me if this is not valid anymore, but I believe they have previously promised that speed limitations will be lifted in the beginning of next year and people will get full O2 speed.

Tesco mobile reps are very absent here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Tesco mobile reps are very absent here.

they have their own forum now

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I've read most of the thread but must be missing something! How do I set up voicemail on my iPhone? I dial 171 and it tells me there are no messages but can't get the option to record voicemail ... The other posts on actually setting up call diverting to voicemail (on page 14) worked great

• Registered Users Posts: 23 gsm_42

Hi
    I have a question for Paul from Tesco.
    I'm on Tesco Mobile pay monthly and having a problem with conneting to vpn with my iphone. And isn't only one connection. They are all pptp.
    I've seen some one was haveing this same problem but hasn't got answer.
    You were saying that so all ports are open. But don't forget that so tesco 3g is based op privat range of ip addressing and is more nating then routing so the question is there vpn passthrough enable on yours gateways?

rgds

Sorry to bump the thread but this sounds relevant to me:

I'm wondering this myself. Ported to Tesco a few weeks ago but I seem to find myself on 2G a lot of the time. I don't mind as much, because I ported from Vodafone where GPRS was virtually unusable whereas EDGE is still somewhat usable. In Ballyfermot I seem to get no 3G at all but my cousin on O2 has it perfectly there. It sounds to me like Tesco don't have access to all of O2's 3G cells but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kuker

I found that coverage tesco mobile is good as 02. I had two android phones old Galaxy gt7500 and Nexus s both with the same problem when 3G was on, and short after device get on 3G connection was drop to lim. serv.(like no coverage).

On my first phone I spend week for try to fix that problem. I was comparing settings with Tesco bill phone Galaxy S2. I installed few types of firmware/ROM up to android2.2
    One of that soft has extended menu "service menu" with all advanced settings. I checked all possible hspa/wcdma-3G settings and I found one working fine - but now that was year ago and my phone gone.

For Nexus same story 3G wont work and no ROM/software with advanced settings.
    I found solution on other forum but phone with that settings never gets on (freez on start) but that help me how to sorted.
    Most important if you don't know what means rooted phone or recovery menu don't even try that solution, you will brick your phone.

I put one line of text in configuration file build.prop "ro.ril.hsxpa=2"

The same was in my old phone and nexus is working fine with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I have a HTC Desire C on the Tesco 089 network. I went on their website for the 3G settings and the phone isn't there. Can I get tescos 3G on this phone? Or where can I get the settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

Son0vagun wrote: »
    ... Can I get tescos 3G on this phone? Or where can I get the settings?

You're right, the phone settings info isn't exactly up-to-date.

Have you tried the 'Android Settings' on the same webpage?
    http://www.tescomobile.ie/helpandsupport/phone-settings.aspx

Tesco also have there own forum now -
    http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1542

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Achilana

hello
    I am using samsung galaxy s duos, I am not Irish but I have been here for the past two weeks. I bought a Tesco mobile sim card and it was working well with data connectivity. It is recently that I have lost data connection unless I use data roaming. I wonder why I should switch to data roaming while I am not outside Dublin.

please help

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

You have to have data roaming switched on as Tescomobile is using the O2-network in Ireland.

Just be aware that when you're getting close to Northern Ireland or go abroad, that you turn data roaming off or it can get expensive - see (data) roaming charges on Tescomobile.ie

You're better off asking questions on Tescomobile's own boards.ie-forum. Their support is generally very quick -

Achilana wrote: »
    hello
    I am using samsung galaxy s duos, I am not Irish but I have been here for the past two weeks. I bought a Tesco mobile sim card and it was working well with data connectivity. It is recently that I have lost data connection unless I use data roaming. I wonder why I should switch to data roaming while I am not outside Dublin.

please help

Hi there

This is because we "National" Roam on O2's network. It is correct to having the roaming setting on. It does not affect charging which is 2c per MB outside of any bundle you may have purchased.

See our Talk To form here which is manned by our customer service team in office hours.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

is tesco broadband down again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

Mine is fine in Dublin 3, where are u located?

rathfarnham im using 48 network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

faolteam wrote: »
    rathfarnham im using 48 network

My 48 data has been down all day in Sligo. It's connected, but the downstream isn't working.

• Advertisement

damm network

Advertisement