Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile 3g - Anyone having Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I am using a Nokia E51 but I have also had the same problem with an LG GT540 that I was using up until yesterday.

Basically the situation is as follows:

Using my Nokia E51, I have the choice of using GSM (2G) or UMTS (3G) networks. If I select the GSM option I am able to then search for networks and select "Tesco Mobile". I get full signal and I can make calls and use GPRS/EDGE for data. So that is working as expected.

However, if I select the UMTS option and then search for networks and select "Tesco Mobile", it thinks about it for a long time and then says "No Access".

I don't understand why I seemingly have no access to Tesco Mobile's 3G network, as I have a 3G SIM card.

I want to be able to access the internet with Tesco Mobile's 3G service, as it advertises here:http://www.tescomobile.ie/MobileInternet.aspx
    With the Tesco Mobile Internet service on your mobile, you can experience the internet through your mobile phone. All you need is a compatible phone so please check the user manual for your phone to see if you can use it to access the internet with our 3G service.

I emailed Tesco Mobile and they've sent this reply:
    It will not be possible for you to access UMTS as Tesco mobile Ireland does not support UMTS.

Doesn't make sense. How can they not have a 3G network (or rather, an agreement to use O2's 3G network) when they advertise these fantastic data bundles and invite customers to "access the internet with our 3G service"?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 war10ck

not happy with the service....going back to my previous provider...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

Using my Nokia E51, I have the choice of using GSM (2G) or UMTS (3G) networks. If I select the GSM option I am able to then search for networks and select "Tesco Mobile". I get full signal and I can make calls and use GPRS/EDGE for data. So that is working as expected.

I don't understand why I seemingly have no access to Tesco Mobile's 3G network, as I have a 3G SIM card."?

i have thye same problem just wondering if you or anyone else would know how to change this?

weefarmer wrote: »
    i have thye same problem just wondering if you or anyone else would know how to change this?

Even Tesco Mobile themselves don't know..

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

If I use the UMTS network my phone frequently lapses into a 'No Service Available' state. If I stick to GSM 900/1800 the phone works fine, but I dont get 3G coverage. And I had to figure this out myself, the people in Tesco customer service didnt ahve a clue, and kept on telling me my problem was due to my SIM card still being ported over fromMeteor, which it clearly wasn't.

I've got quite a few people telling me they can't get through to me, and some text message aren't arriving untilhours after they were sent to me.

I'm seriously considering going to another network once my call credit runs out. I'll miss the non rip off prices on offer though.

Vodafone and O2 are way too expensive, and 3 and Meteor are not far behind.

• Advertisement

I've just got back from Singapore and Hong Kong. Couldn't use my phone in either country even though I had roaming activated.

Tesco, by email, told me I should try to log on to the Belgacom network while in Singapore. I'm not sure how they expect my phone could search for, find and connect to a Belgian network from Singapore. :rolleyes:

Three networks operate in Singapore, they are SingTel, Starhub and M1. Neither would allow me to connect.

Tesco, by email, kept asking me for my SIM card number and handset IMEI. They said they'd raise it as an issue, but it was never resolved - roaming never worked. Do they (via O2 Ireland, of course) have roaming agreements with either SingTel, Starhub or M1? Why keep telling me to search for Belgacom?

Now back in Ireland, my phone won't even connect to the Tesco Mobile network. I can search manually and find Vodafone IE, Meteor and Tesco Mobile. I try to connect to Tesco Mobile and it says "No Access".

Either the SIM card is faulty or they've deactivated my SIM, imo.

I emailed them yesterday informing of the problem and that I am now back in Ireland so forget about trying to fix my roaming in Singapore problem but.. no reply.

Useless.

I am using a Nokia E51 but I have also had the same problem with an LG GT540 that I was using up until yesterday.

Basically the situation is as follows:

However, if I select the UMTS option and then search for networks and select "Tesco Mobile", it thinks about it for a long time and then says "No Access".

I don't understand why I seemingly have no access to Tesco Mobile's 3G network, as I have a 3G SIM card.

I want to be able to access the internet with Tesco Mobile's 3G service, as it advertises here:http://www.tescomobile.ie/MobileInternet.aspx

I emailed Tesco Mobile and they've sent this reply:

Doesn't make sense. How can they not have a 3G network (or rather, an agreement to use O2's 3G network) when they advertise these fantastic data bundles and invite customers to "access the internet with our 3G service"?

I asked Tesco:
    How can I access the internet on my 3G phone using your 3G service, as I am unable to connect to Tesco Mobile's 3G network (I can only connect to Tesco Mobile's 2G network)?

They replied:
    Our incident team recommends that you set your handset to GSM only, which should solve his issue.

I replied:
    Please ask your incident team how I am supposed to access the internet with your 3G service if I set my handset to GSM only.

They just replied:
    We have identified an issue with our 3G data connection which is being worked on at present.

I have been informed by our technical team that this issue should be resolved by Friday at the latest.

Light at the end of the tunnel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

I can confirm that the 3G issue that was causing problems for some customers is now resolved.

Note: If you are using a phone that is not a Tesco Mobile variant please ensure Data Roaming is switched on as we have national roaming on the O2 network it may appear to your device that you are roaming. Charges are local as advertised irrespective of this setting.

I can confirm that the 3G issue that was causing problems for some customers is now resolved.

That sounds ominous. What about the issue of your customer service agents not having a clue?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 saabron

I can confirm I am getting 3g speeds on tescomobile in Monaghan and Carrickmacross using a nokia 5800 . Their domination of all consumer products is nearly complete , now all they need to do is allow direct isp access and not proxied access to allow me to use my email on my handset and not access it via web browser I will be satisfied

• Advertisement

saabron wrote: »
    I can confirm I am getting 3g speeds on tescomobile in Monaghan and Carrickmacross using a nokia 5800 . Their domination of all consumer products is nearly complete , now all they need to do is allow direct isp access and not proxied access to allow me to use my email on my handset and not access it via web browser I will be satisfied

Hi Saabron

We are looking to address this also in the near future.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

Hi Saabron

We are looking to address this also in the near future.

regards
    Paul

hi paul, and welcome to boards! i have been using a htc desire and would love to know what settings to use on it. can you help me?

i purchased the 3.50 euro internet credit before but got no service. when i rang the helpline i got no "help". and no refund either.

get my 3g working and i will sing your praises:D

emo72 wrote: »
    hi paul, and welcome to boards! i have been using a htc desire and would love to know what settings to use on it. can you help me?

i purchased the 3.50 euro internet credit before but got no service. when i rang the helpline i got no "help". and no refund either.

get my 3g working and i will sing your praises:D

Android phones should work fine with the normal settings as posted on boards

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59482944&postcount=11

You need to setup an APN with these settings in Wireless Controls->Mobile Networks->Access Point Names

On android the only values you should need to edit for data and MMS when creating the APN are

Name: TMI APN
    APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    Port: 8080
    MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    MMS Port: 8080
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 11

The rest can be left blank

Make the APN default

As noted above make sure the Data Roaming setting is on in Wireless Controls->Mobile Networks

didnt work. should there be a 3g symbol logo visible?

emo72 wrote: »
    didnt work. should there be a 3g symbol logo visible?

If your phone is Android 1.6 yes you should get a 3G over the signal bars. If 2.1 then it will he a H or 3G over the upload download symobl when accessing data. It will have an E if you are on edge/gprs.

Check your setting in Wireless Settings->Mobile Networks->Network Mode . It should be GSM/WCDMA Preferred. If its GSM only you wont pick up 3G.

2 other questions that may be very obvious. You are in an area of 3G coverage? You have got a new 3G Tesco Mobile sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If your phone is Android 1.6 yes you should get a 3G over the signal bars. If 2.1 then it will he a H or 3G over the upload download symobl when accessing data. It will have an E if you are on edge/gprs.

Check your setting in Wireless Settings->Mobile Networks->Network Mode . It should be GSM/WCDMA Preferred. If its GSM only you wont pick up 3G.

2 other questions that may be very obvious. You are in an area of 3G coverage? You have got a new 3G Tesco Mobile sim?

Hi Paul,

could I ask you to contact hello@boards.ie at your earliest convenience? If you are on the site representing a commercial company, you need to be identified as such. Just like O2, Vodafone, 3 and Meteor do. :)

Thanks,

TD.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

could I ask you to contact hello@boards.ie at your earliest convenience? If you are on the site representing a commercial company, you need to be identified as such. Just like O2, Vodafone, 3 and Meteor do. :)

Thanks,

TD.

Hi Tom,

Yes, this is all in process. Have dropped notes to the Boards reps already.

regards
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

I've just got back from Singapore and Hong Kong. Couldn't use my phone in either country even though I had roaming activated.

Tesco, by email, told me I should try to log on to the Belgacom network while in Singapore. I'm not sure how they expect my phone could search for, find and connect to a Belgian network from Singapore. :rolleyes:

Three networks operate in Singapore, they are SingTel, Starhub and M1. Neither would allow me to connect.

Tesco, by email, kept asking me for my SIM card number and handset IMEI. They said they'd raise it as an issue, but it was never resolved - roaming never worked. Do they (via O2 Ireland, of course) have roaming agreements with either SingTel, Starhub or M1? Why keep telling me to search for Belgacom?

Now back in Ireland, my phone won't even connect to the Tesco Mobile network. I can search manually and find Vodafone IE, Meteor and Tesco Mobile. I try to connect to Tesco Mobile and it says "No Access".

Either the SIM card is faulty or they've deactivated my SIM, imo.

I emailed them yesterday informing of the problem and that I am now back in Ireland so forget about trying to fix my roaming in Singapore problem but.. no reply.

Useless.

Just back from Germany with my tesco mobile, with the 3G card.

My husband had gone a few days before me for work, and the minute he'd left Ireland, none of the text messages sent from my tesco mobile arrived. Then when I arrived and turned on my phone I got a message saying that my phone had been frozen and my sim was unavailable. This persisted when I arrived back in Ireland. Putting my tesco mobile sim card into a sim free phone seemed to fix this issue, but I'm now changing back to my previous provider, as I'm very unhappy with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Hi Paul,

Welcome to Boards.ie

I have a Samsung 8800 pixon. I used tesco mobile 3g and it constantly fell out of coverage, i of course tried to reset the Abroad settings and tried everything that Tesco tech could advise me on. I also got a new 3g sim but same problems.

I switched to 02 and it works perfectly including the GPS. However i hate 02 because they are expensive but there would be war if i switched back to tesco mobile as it constantly falls in and out of coverage even in the city centre and noone can contact me.

What is wrong here. I would prefer tesco mobile as i was impressed with the pricing which was more than excellent.

esharknz wrote: »
    Just back from Germany with my tesco mobile, with the 3G card.

My husband had gone a few days before me for work, and the minute he'd left Ireland, none of the text messages sent from my tesco mobile arrived. Then when I arrived and turned on my phone I got a message saying that my phone had been frozen and my sim was unavailable. This persisted when I arrived back in Ireland. Putting my tesco mobile sim card into a sim free phone seemed to fix this issue, but I'm now changing back to my previous provider, as I'm very unhappy with this.

Please call customer care with this issue as it sounds account or device specific.

• Advertisement

pirelli wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

Welcome to Boards.ie

I have a Samsung 8800 pixon. I used tesco mobile 3g and it constantly fell out of coverage, i of course tried to reset the Abroad settings and tried everything that Tesco tech could advise me on. I also got a new 3g sim but same problems.

I switched to 02 and it works perfectly including the GPS. However i hate 02 because they are expensive but there would be war if i switched back to tesco mobile as it constantly falls in and out of coverage even in the city centre and noone can contact me.

What is wrong here. I would prefer tesco mobile as i was impressed with the pricing which was more than excellent.

Hi Pirelli

This sounds very much like the issue that was fixed on Friday. if you get a tesco mobile prepay sim you can verify for youself that its resolved for your situation on the 089 number supplied before porting again. Coverage wise we are identical to O2.

Hope this helps,
    regards
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Tmpj

Android phones should work fine with the normal settings as posted on boards

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59482944&postcount=11

You need to setup an APN with these settings in Wireless Controls->Mobile Networks->Access Point Names

On android the only values you should need to edit for data and MMS when creating the APN are

Name: TMI APN
    APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    Port: 8080
    MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    MMS Port: 8080
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 11

The rest can be left blank

Make the APN default

As noted above make sure the Data Roaming setting is on in Wireless Controls->Mobile Networks

I have HTC Desire as well and for the past couple of months I have been trying to figure out how to get the 3g connection working with tescomobile. No luck so far. Nothing on the internet either that would be helpful.

The above suggested settings don't work for me either for the Desire. I have Android 2.2 in the Desire (roaming is enabled). When I tried with my old Nokia 6120 classic I have absolutely no problems connecting to the network. So no problems with SIM/data connection apparently. The settings for my Nokia were from http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx and as said, the connection works fine.

Please somebody any suggestions to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Tmpj

Tmpj wrote: »
    I have HTC Desire as well and for the past couple of months I have been trying to figure out how to get the 3g connection working with tescomobile. No luck so far. Nothing on the internet either that would be helpful.

The above suggested settings don't work for me either for the Desire. I have Android 2.2 in the Desire (roaming is enabled). When I tried with my old Nokia 6120 classic I have absolutely no problems connecting to the network. So no problems with SIM/data connection apparently. The settings for my Nokia were from http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx and as said, the connection works fine.

Please somebody any suggestions to this?

Ok, I think I can make some other Desire owners very happy (if not, at least myself)

I got the HSDPA (3g) connection working with tescomobile. There is just one extra thing that needs to be set up in the Desire.

1) go to the phone number dialer and enter *#*#4636#*#*
    2) Choose Phone Information
    3) You will need to change the last setting "Toggle DNS check" in the bottom to "0.0.0.0 allowed" instead of "0.0.0.0 not allowed"

This worked for me and life is almost good now ;)... some applications don't seem to be working (facebook, gmail, skype) at least I can use the browser.

tried this. seems to work. thanks TMPJ

Tmpj wrote: »
    Ok, I think I can make some other Desire owners very happy (if not, at least myself)

I got the HSDPA (3g) connection working with tescomobile. There is just one extra thing that needs to be set up in the Desire.

1) go to the phone number dialer and enter *#*#4636#*#*
    2) Choose Phone Information
    3) You will need to change the last setting "Toggle DNS check" in the bottom to "0.0.0.0 allowed" instead of "0.0.0.0 not allowed"

This worked for me and life is almost good now ;)... some applications don't seem to be working (facebook, gmail, skype) at least I can use the browser.

Thanks Tmpj.

Our internet access is currently proxied for http only which is why non-http based services on the device may have issues. We are looking at resolving this restriction in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EWJim

hi all

I have just bought the 3g Card for the samsung taco lite

is there any settings for sending emails on the phone, trough the message menu, as it would be handy if send attachments

any one eles have the settings ?

EWJim wrote: »
    hi all

I have just bought the 3g Card for the samsung taco lite

is there any settings for sending emails on the phone, trough the message menu, as it would be handy if send attachments

any one eles have the settings ?

Non webmail based email uses pop3 or imap normally. Currently Tesco Mobile internet access is proxied for web/http only. We are working to remove this restriction in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Non webmail based email uses pop3 or imap normally. Currently Tesco Mobile internet access is proxied for web/http only. We are working to remove this restriction in the future.

the proxy causes a ton of probs to be honest is there any reason why its in effect?all other networks dont use it?cant use any apps on my phone because of this also when i buy internet add on i cant even connect my phone to my laptop to check pages etc because of this also id suugest that its removed in the next few months because its only going to ruin tescomobiles reputation other than that your network is the best in ireland at the moment i have to use a 3 mobile phone also for internet mostly as tesco block all the apps that i need to use..also if the addon 350mb was for 30days instead of only a week that would be better just a bit of feedback for ya's:D
    my 3G connection always works fine tough so cant comaplain about that

jay93 wrote: »
    the proxy causes a ton of probs to be honest is there any reason why its in effect?all other networks dont use it?cant use any apps on my phone because of this also when i buy internet add on i cant even connect my phone to my laptop to check pages etc because of this also id suugest that its removed in the next few months because its only going to ruin tescomobiles reputation other than that your network is the best in ireland at the moment i have to use a 3 mobile phone also for internet mostly as tesco block all the apps that i need to use..also if the addon 350mb was for 30days instead of only a week that would be better just a bit of feedback for ya's:D
    my 3G connection always works fine tough so cant comaplain about that

Yes, we acknowedge that it needs to be resolved and are actively working on it. When we setup we were 2G only and our handset range was WAP only for data so it was not an issue. Things have changed with the advent of smartphones and email clients on phones this needs to be addressed. Will keep you posted.

Watch out for changes in our data bundles in the next 2 weeks :)

Thanks for the feedback

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 moleygunn

I've used the exact settings as described on page 3, including enabling Data Roaming. Nothing happened until I changed "Toggle DNS check" to "0.0.0.0 allowed" instead of "0.0.0.0 not allowed" as suggested (thanks for that!) I now see the 3G logo, but the internet isn't working even after buying the 350mb bundle. Any suggestions? Do I need to get 3G enabled on my number?

For the record, before I found this thread I'd phoned Tesco customer support three times about the problem. Each time I've given them my email address so they could send on the settings and each time no email has arrived. They also didn't seem to have a clue what I was on about.

Advertisement