Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Mobile 3g - Anyone having Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

moleygunn wrote: »
    For the record, before I found this thread I'd phoned Tesco customer support three times about the problem. Each time I've given them my email address so they could send on the settings and each time no email has arrived. They also didn't seem to have a clue what I was on about.

Indeed. In my experience, Tesco Mobile's customer service (both over the phone and over email) leaves a LOT be desired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

I've used the exact settings as described on page 3, including enabling Data Roaming. Nothing happened until I changed "Toggle DNS check" to "0.0.0.0 allowed" instead of "0.0.0.0 not allowed" as suggested (thanks for that!) I now see the 3G logo, but the internet isn't working even after buying the 350mb bundle. Any suggestions? Do I need to get 3G enabled on my number?

Have you got the arrow symbols for upload/download data indication? Have you set the APN as default?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Yes, we acknowedge that it needs to be resolved and are actively working on it. When we setup we were 2G only and our handset range was WAP only for data so it was not an issue. Things have changed with the advent of smartphones and email clients on phones this needs to be addressed. Will keep you posted.

Watch out for changes in our data bundles in the next 2 weeks :)

Thanks for the feedback

are the data bundles been changed?:D
    3G has been terrible here since i put my sim card back into my 3G enabled phone calls /texts and data barely work now when 3G is switched on today i had it on and everyone was complaining that they couldnt get through to me:mad::mad: it works on the EDGE network alright its not a phone problem as with my 3 sim their 3G network works fine on it really need to sort out the 3G problems its annoying ill keep an eye at it over the next few days if it works again luckily my phone is now only on the EDGE network so i can get calls and texts

jay93 wrote: »
    are the data bundles been changed?:D
    3G has been terrible here since i put my sim card back into my 3G enabled phone calls /texts and data barely work now when 3G is switched on today i had it on and everyone was complaining that they couldnt get through to me:mad::mad: it works on the EDGE network alright its not a phone problem as with my 3 sim their 3G network works fine on it really need to sort out the 3G problems its annoying ill keep an eye at it over the next few days if it works again luckily my phone is now only on the EDGE network so i can get calls and texts

Yes, there will be a change in data bundles this week with all going to plan.

Are you having issues in one place only or on the move?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Yes, there will be a change in data bundles this week with all going to plan.

Are you having issues in one place only or on the move?

Any news on these bundles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Gurra

Are there plans on getting rid of the APN Proxy any time soon? It is a pain to program one on the iphone.

cork45 wrote: »
    Any news on these bundles?

Will be another few days...

Gurra wrote: »
    Are there plans on getting rid of the APN Proxy any time soon? It is a pain to program one on the iphone.

We are looking to resolve this restriction in the coming weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭paddins

Does this mean I could use an unlocked Iphone 4 on the Tesomobile network? I am considereing purchasing one directly from Apple as I do not like the idea of being tied into an 18 month contract. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

paddins wrote: »
    Does this mean I could use an unlocked Iphone 4 on the Tesomobile network? I am considereing purchasing one directly from Apple as I do not like the idea of being tied into an 18 month contract. Any advice?

Personally, I'd hang fire until Tesco Mobile Ireland have their network sorted out properly. It seems it's a work in progress, but they're not quite there yet.

• Advertisement

Yes, it does. You need to enter a proxy for web access as per settings in this thread but customer care can supply you a script on what to do.

Yes, it does. You need to enter a proxy for web access as per settings in this thread but customer care can supply you a script on what to do.

You have to install the iphone configuration utility from Apple to set up an APN proxy on the iphone. You can set up the proxy server under advanced in configuration profiles.
    You also have to cut down your SIM card. Just search ebay for micro sim cutter

Thanks for info guys

Question - do you have to buy a web surf bundle for http to work over 3G or should it work anyway? Is it supposed to work at the moment or does it only work on an EDGE connection?

Question - do you have to buy a web surf bundle for http to work over 3G or should it work anyway? Is it supposed to work at the moment or does it only work on an EDGE connection?

No, will work for 3G whether you buy a bundle or not. 3G will work if you have a 3G phone and 3G coverage (same data settings). Falls back on EDGE in 2G coverage areas.

Bundle 1 is 79c for a 1 day bundle with 50mb allowance, Bundle 2 is 2.99 for a 7 day bundle with 350mb allowance. We will be introducing a 30 day bundle shortly also.

Outside bundle data is charged at 79c per MB.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 moleygunn

Have you got the arrow symbols for upload/download data indication? Have you set the APN as default?

Trying this again. I'm not getting the arrows - just the 3G logo. Seems to be connecting to 3G but not transmitting or receiving. I have the Tesco Mobile APN set as default, and my 3G works perfectly if I put my Meteor SIM back in.

I can PM you my number. Would be great if you could get a savvy tech support person to call me. Or someone from Liffey Telecom.

Edit: When I use the 'Ping Test' in the *#*#4636#*#* menu the 3G up/down arrows show transmit/receive but the test result is "Fail: IP addr not reachable" - when I use Android's web browser the 3G up/down arrows don't do anything.

Just to report that data over 3G started working on the iphone today. Settings: Access Point Name: http://tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com, Proxy server and Port: 10.1.11.19:8080 (configured with an iPhone Configuration Utility profile). Enable 3G and Data roaming are both on. Quality 4 bars out of 5 and 3G connection.
    Safari, App Store, Maps and Weather work fine. Messenger doesn't work, it logs in then it goes to a loop where it displays online contacts briefly (<1s) followed by long periods of reconnecting.
    The speed is quite slow - dslreports.com Speed/Latency test for mobile browsers reports 42Kbps with an average latency of 851ms - firmly in GPRS territory.

Just to report that data over 3G started working on the iphone today. Settings: Access Point Name: http://tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com, Proxy server and Port: 10.1.11.19:8080 (configured with an iPhone Configuration Utility profile). Enable 3G and Data roaming are both on. Quality 4 bars out of 5 and 3G connection.
    Safari, App Store, Maps and Weather work fine. Messenger doesn't work, it logs in then it goes to a loop where it displays online contacts briefly (<1s) followed by long periods of reconnecting.
    The speed is quite slow - dslreports.com Speed/Latency test for mobile browsers reports 42Kbps with an average latency of 851ms - firmly in GPRS territory.

Yes, that sounds like GPRS level speeds - could be local to the cell you are on. Please check your speeds in a couple of locations. Once you have data access and 3G enabled on your device there is no reason why you cannot get 3G speeds.

Trying this again. I'm not getting the arrows - just the 3G logo. Seems to be connecting to 3G but not transmitting or receiving. I have the Tesco Mobile APN set as default, and my 3G works perfectly if I put my Meteor SIM back in.

I can PM you my number. Would be great if you could get a savvy tech support person to call me. Or someone from Liffey Telecom.

Edit: When I use the 'Ping Test' in the *#*#4636#*#* menu the 3G up/down arrows show transmit/receive but the test result is "Fail: IP addr not reachable" - when I use Android's web browser the 3G up/down arrows don't do anything.

Hi there

Can you try this

1. Take the MMS settings out of the TMI Internet APN (whatever you have called it)

Please put

default, supl

in the APN Type this APN

Settings will look like this
    Name: TMI Internet APN
    APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    Port: 8080
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 11
    APN Type: default, supl

2. Create a new APN called TMI MMS APN with settings

NAME: TMI MMS APN
    MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    MMS Port: 8080
    APN Type: mms

3. Reboot your phone.

Let me know how you get on - PM me your number and I will have someone call you tomorrow if this doesnt work

regards
    Paul

EDIT: Something else specific to the HTC Desire that I have seen on UK sites where people were having data access issues

"Open the Phone dialer and type in *#*#4636#*#*

Tap on Phone Information

Scroll Down and set your Preferred Network Type to GSM auto (PRL)"

Anyone able to help with an MMS problem I have on the Tesco mobile network. Whenever I send or receive MMS messages they can be only viewed as very small files (ie - tiny picture that is unviewable). The network seems to reduce the file size considerably - down to 2 or 3kb (from 130kb). Anyone have any solutions. The phone is a Sony Ericson W980.

• Advertisement

Anyone able to help with an MMS problem I have on the Tesco mobile network. Whenever I send or receive MMS messages they can be only viewed as very small files (ie - tiny picture that is unviewable). The network seems to reduce the file size considerably - down to 2 or 3kb (from 130kb). Anyone have any solutions. The phone is a Sony Ericson W980.

Hi Paddins,

Can you PM me your details and I will follow up on this for you.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭EWJim

I have the same Problem My Phone Is a Samsung Taco Lite

Thanks Paul - Customer services got it sorted for me- thanks.

I just had the picture scaling set too high - the correct setting is 640 * 480.

EWJim wrote: »
    I have the same Problem My Phone Is a Samsung Taco Lite

Hi EWJim,

I think there may still be a default setting issue on our side when the phone doesnt apply the downsizing of large files itself. Our guys are looking into it.

regards
    Paul

To note as its relevant to those looking for settings for their handsets in this thread - yesterday we launched our new OTA settings service covering over 2400 handsets. Please see below.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/phonesettings.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

i cant get picture messaging working on my desire? i have got the internet working though! any help for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭emo72

To note as its relevant to those looking for settings for their handsets in this thread - yesterday we launched our new OTA settings service covering over 2400 handsets. Please see below.

htc desire not listed there:(

emo72 wrote: »
    htc desire not listed there:(

Android does not support OTA so some manufacturers (like Sony Ericsson) are extending Android to support it in certain models (like XPERIA).

Can you setup your APNs as below

1. WAP/Internet APN

Name: TMI Internet APN
    Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    Port: 8080
    APN Type: default, supl

2. MMS APN

NAME: TMI MMS APN
    MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    MMS Port: 8080
    APN Type: mms

3. Reboot your phone.

This should work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 megejazz

That service seems to be not working...
    TescoMobile Customer support are terrible, they have no clue about problems...

First problem was impossible to keep my 087 number (switch to tesco ) for no reason.

Second: 3g network issues. Have Nokia N900 and in Galway city have full 3G coverage but Internet speeds are very bad (like loading main Google.ie page for ~30sec) or no access at all.

Nothing changed when received and applied WAP settings from customer support. Have full 3g coverage on the phone.

TecoMobile 3G with N900 using as personal phone, have also company phone - Nokia 6700 on eircom mobile network and can ensure that 3g internet works perfect (din`t test any apps) but speed is perfect. I suppose that tesco is virtual O2 network.

So really, lady's and gents are we not fulled by tesco????
    Paying for promised 3g network but can`t even receive decent GSM network (talking only about internet, because coverage for calls seems to to be fine)

And yes, prices are perfect!!! But is it worth that much hassle??? Or inexperienced customer support that keeps your going in the circles???
    And most disappointing thing of them all: lye's and promises by customer support.

Tested today: Tesco Mobile 3G (not load pages every time but whet it does time is ~25-36sec VS eircom mobile rapid loading every time ~4-7sec

On tesco mobile sometimes it just hangs up and nothing happens so have to start load page all over again and after half a minute!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

And best tesco customer support trick: to change settings from 3g to GSM 2g.

Lets only hope that network will improve.... If not, it will be "old people" network. That is cheap, can make and receive calls,texts only...
    Just look to current phone offers from tesco... offering 3g card on non 3g phones:):):) interesting...

Do you think that tesco targeting experienced user????? :confused::confused::confused:
    Think again...
    Peace

Advertisement