Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slang names you dislike ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

'Mot' comes from an 18th-century term for the mons veneris, so it's a little graphic, but it has come to be an affectionate term for the wife or girlfriend; myself, I don't mind it.

Any of these terms whatsoever are acceptable to me from someone who loves me, and deeply offensive if used by a stranger.

I had a shocking row with a young lad directing cars because he kept calling me 'luv'. I told him it was offensive and he said it was part of his culture. As a working-class Dubliner. Sweet suffering mother of the divine Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I don't mind what im called as long as it's ment in a nice way, and i do use them to other people but never mean it in a condesending way, i shall be much more careful in the future. I didn't even mind being called "paddy" when i worked in Reading. I was the only irish girl working in any of the pubs on that street so it made me feel different, in a nice way cuz all the lads were lovely!

Did love the guys from London saying hello with, " Alright treacle" still makes me give off a little girlie giggle to this day!

If we are talking other slang names, only ones that bother me are for the vagina.. hate minge and gash.... /vomit!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Holy crap! I had no idea all these were so annoying. I am guilty of using all of them regularly.....But this leads me to another thing....no girlfriend has ever said anything and neither have any girl friends. If something is annoying just say it straight up and that will be the end of it......Damn, I really need to lie down, just when I thought I was getting better at seeing and understanding where girls are coming from!

You see that's the thing, we aren't a hivemind, and everyone will like and dislike different things.

I like being called 'love' and 'pet' and 'hon' and whatever, I think it's cute.

I was somewhere in the UK a while back, and a girl in the shop about 10 years younger than me kept calling me darling.... well, 'Dahlin'

I thought it was adorable.

The one I didn't like was the one where I realised I was old.... A woman said to her child 'Mind the lady!' :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Like Jules I don't really mind what people call me as long as it's meant affectionately and there's no malice behind the statement.

Someone calling me chicken tho, does send me over the edge. I find it most irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Oh god yeah, you look around trying to see a grey haird old woman and its just you.. fecking hate that. Got my first one a few weeks ago. Never wanted to bitch slap someone so much!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Babe/baby/babes anything else I can somewhat tolerate.

I don't really use pet names not unless i'm being funny or sarcastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

'Good girl' euuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaargh. Hate it.
    No-one has ever called me 'mot' but I can't stand the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

My oldest brother used to call me "scut" when I was a child. I always thought it was funny. But, now I don't know why the hell he started calling me that.

Hello little rabbits tail? WTF?!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

I absolutely despise pet, luv, hun or darling... I find them so condescending... Chicken is quite horrific as well actually... i don't mind babe or baby though, provided they're meant in an affectionate way. and not in a cheesy, seedy chat up scenario...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

No-one has ever called me 'mot' but I can't stand the word.

My sisters use use 'mot' to refer to boyfriends / husbands...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

A local business lost about €500 worth of business from me after they treated me patronisingly when I came along looking for some car work. Called me 'love' and basically treated me like one of the lesserly abled intellectually. I thanked them politely and brought my business elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

Afraid I use Babe for my OH regularly and she doesn't seem to mind but if I used "MOT" I'd have to start running first.

A truly bizarre experience is being greeted by an older lady from SW England, "Allo my Lover", apparently a normal form of address in Devon/Cornwall. "Chicken" will not seem so bad in future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Im a dude and i cringe when I get called hun or see a bloke calling another girl hun.....
    I will say ello my dear in londonish accent because its funny Im good at impressions but other then that never use them i think its worse if men say them i automaticly think when I see a bloke write that he needs to grow some tesiticals....

Its cheasey and sleazy and I got told of for it once bye a girl i was seeing...:D she awesome tho i asked her does she fart...

shes from dalkey and replied....

Good god no, I cough in my knickers... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Me and my ex called each other hun on texts, but rarely ever in real life, funny that. "puddin" is something I like, its a funny little affectionate term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Stella2010

Despise being called pet , chicken or miss !
    The one that sends me over the edge though would have to be " good girl "
    shudders down the spine for that one :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Kinda like Xiney on this one; not used to half these terms (pet, mot, chicken, etc) so they really don't bother me.

Never really liked babe/baby, though I don't know why. And have never heard "mot," but that seems to be a Dublin thing.

COMPLETELY depending on the accent, I looove "darling," but it doesn't work on everyone.

Pet is fine, only ever had girls or really good male mates say it to me. Only one good female mate ever called me petal. One male mate called me chicken which was odd, but didn't mind that either.

Wouldn't consider any of them condescending unless the body language fit, if it was someone just using a term of endearment I'd probably appreciate it; I don't really care what words are used so long as the intentions are good.

I'm quite guilty of picking up and actively using "good woman." I really like the term. I also use "good man," for the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

I hate the word Lovie/Luvie/Luvvie. "That's great luvvie" It just sets my teeth on edge!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i hate babes,baby,love,hun

i use pet to him but if he says it to me i just look at him lol

dont mind petal or sweetie

BUT only boyfriends can use those words not randomers you meet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never heard "mot" as a term of endearment. It sounds so.. filthy.

I don't think I've ever had a girlfriend that I've referred to as any of the ones mentioned, I just find them all somewhat derogatory. I also have a thing against calling people by their nicknames - it just seems somewhat rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sunshineboo

I really hate when somebody says well Gawjus in a text, just spell the word correctly it's not that hard! I don't mind the words Pet or Sweetheart for some reason but it depends who is saying it! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

There is a woman in my office and it makes me cringe every time she calls me pet, luv, hun and chicken. I don't know why its just an instinctive thing like nails down a black board.

I don't tell her to stop as she does not mean any thing negative by it, its just her natural way of speaking and does it to everyone so I think it more reasonable for me to just suck it up each time it annoys me rather than expect her to actively try and change her speech just for my benefit.

I don't find any of these words condescending themselves, generally it's not words themselves that are condescending but the intention of the speaker, the average person saying these things is not intending to be condescending so it would not really bother me.

The most condescending thing I have ever been called was "man", it was not the word, but the tone and intention in how it was delivered in speech, just as friends can call me the most vile, nasty and insulting words but because the tone and intention is one of jest and humour it is not offensive or insulting.

Rambling aside every cell of my body does scream AARGGHHHHHHHH when someone calls me chicken, its that instinctive cringe like a big drop of rain down the back of your neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

I must be one of the few that doesn't mind babe/baby, although only when said by someone not with a Dublin accent, if that makes sense. Just sounds nicer when people from the North/Munster say it

I hate 'babes', it just reminds me of 16 year old fellas who think they're players so they call everyone babes. Likewise with 'princess' or 'honey'.

I'm in that awful habit of calling people love. Not "luv" but say I arrive at someone's house or I meet a friend on the street, I'll say "How are ya love?" (Ok that's a lie, I say howiya love), cos they're my friends and I love them! I'd say "Mind yourself love" as well if I was leaving them. I know a lot of people think it's really skangery or whatever but I really do mean it as an endearment.

I hate when people call people by their last names or nicknames in general, like Dillo (Dylan), Smithy (Smith), Conners (Condron). You're given full names for a reason like!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

I hate all the typical ones that he probably used on his girlfriend before me.
    I like cute little names that can only apply to me... like if they stemmed from a hidden joke or something

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

Me and my OH call each other 'honey'. My uncle Paul calls me chicken and I always liked it. Can't stand 'luv' or 'mot' or 'burd'. They make my skin crawl!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Jesus who cares!

I'm a man and I get called all of these things from time to time.

Doesn't bother me a cent! As long as they're not hurling abuse at me I find I'm lucky!

On the other hand I call my girlfriend "misiu" "kochanie" "darling" and "malutka" - mostly Polish nicknames though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

I always get a little confused when people find a word offensive. I never find any word in and of itself offensive but the context in which a word or phrase as well as the manner is used I would. Certainly though as a man I'd concede that the is no historical element of discrimination so if someone were to say thanks hun or love or pet etc to me I wouldn't blink an eye, however i would raise an eyebrow if it were to be said in a manner that I felt was in someway derogatory.
    However and off topic I admit the one that baffles me the most is people who don't get offended if I call x a stupid bollucks but do if I call x a stupid cúnt. Both are slang for genitalia why is slang for one better/worse then slang for an other?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

I really hate being called babe, reminds me of Babe the pig:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Babe, babes, chick, chicken, love/luv, sexy, gorgeous, bird, princess and petal can cope with baby/hun/hunny/lovie/pudney pie/pet/darling/sweetheart/missus (but if used too much it drives me up the wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Being called baby is the one I don't like. I'm not a baby, I grew out of that stage roughly 22 years ago, in case you can't see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sexydancer

Chicken...ugh

Advertisement