Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slang names you dislike ?

Options
  • 31-08-2010 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Saw a survey in the paper and the form of address that women least like is 'luv' , 'hun' was 3rd.

Any other forms of address people here like or dislike?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

"Bird". Jesus christ I could handle cúnt but "bird" drives me up the wall. I gave out to some fella on saturday night for using it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

"Babe" really p*sses me off. I don't always notice when people use it; I think I'm blocking it out! But everytime I pick up on it I start seething.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,686 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

If years of being the wingman to my mate has taught me anything, its that "hey baby" followed by pretty much any cheese line is generally not the way to go about things! :)
    (worked for him the the very odd time though)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I hate most of them. My ex used call me "hun" and it made me tense up every time he did. He didn't do it often enough to bother telling him not to, but I still hated it. I like "love", hate "babe", "babes" is even worse, and I'm not a huge fan of "pet" being used by men.

I like sweetheart, darling, things like that - but only when said by a boyfriend, not a randomer. "Awrigh' darlin'?" is not going to turn me on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I hate babe/baby/hun/luv!! These wreck my head!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

bluewolf wrote: »
    "Bird". Jesus christ I could handle cúnt but "bird" drives me up the wall. I gave out to some fella on saturday night for using it :o

I totally agree. Im not a fan of being called babe either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Babe/Babes. I hate these. Hearing someone say them makes me cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

chicken, ugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭kiwi123

i hate pet, it drives me insane, i find it really patronizing.

I used to hate babe but now i like when my boyfriend calls me babe, he calls me smush and stampy too but they all meant in an affectionate way.... i think!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I hate pet and sweetheart, but my most hated thing to be said to me used to happen all the time when I was working in Retail, men saying "good girl" :mad::mad:

My boyfriend calls me cupcake or button, the cheesier the better :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Petal.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Babe, babes, baby, chick, bird, hun. It's not just when guys use it either, anyone really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭elleburp

"Moth" has got to the worst, then "pet". I find the term moth derogatory and the term pet is just plain patronising. I don't act like a moth and I am not your pet!

I don't mind luv, hun, chick, sweetie, babe....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

elleburp wrote: »
    "Moth" has got to the worst, then "pet". I find the term moth derogatory and the term pet is just plain patronising. I don't act like a moth and I am not your pet!

It's not moth as in the insect, it's as gailge "maith" meaning good. Irish slang. Short term for better half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm guilty of saying babe, but I only say it to my male friends :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hate "bird", particularly in its most skangery "buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurd" form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Always thought it was spelled mot not moth.

Like, I don't really use any such affectionate pet names for my other half and would never ever use one to refer to a woman I was just friendly with or, imagine, a complete stranger.

But as a man, I've often had older women that work in shops say stuff like

"they ya go luv" or "there's your change darlin'".

And I am not a cutesy looking person. Just wondering what people here feel about randomers (taxi drivers, shop assistants etc.) calling them things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

krudler wrote: »
    chicken, ugh.

God yeah chicken drives me up the wall *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

It's not moth as in the insect, it's as gailge "maith" meaning good. Irish slang. Short term for better half.

I've always wondered where "moth" came from! Thanks for that! :D

I'm not a fan of "hun", I hate when people call me that. But I can't really talk because I'm guilty of calling everyone "pet". :o Just a habit I suppose. I don't ever call my boyfriend that, weirdly enough though, I usually call him "princess" or "cupcake" or "babydoll" or similar. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

You're both wrong. The word is actually Mot, not moth with people dropping the 'h'. In many parts of the country(North Dublin for one) the 't' is dropped also and it is pronounced Mo', similar in pronunciation to 'maith'.

I am not sure of the actual etymology of the word, though have read it is related either to the English word harlot, or to the Romany word for woman which is mort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

...or, as moths supposedly eat clothes (they don't I believe it's their larva that do), ladies supposedly eat holes in mens pockets.

Apparently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Zulu wrote: »
    ...or, as moths supposedly eat clothes (they don't I believe it's their larva that do), ladies supposedly eat holes in mens pockets.

Apparently.

Please read e charter of this forum before posting.

Re-read it. :confused: What have I missed?

My post wasn't a sexist joke or a dig at women, it was an actual explanation for the slang term "moth" used in this country. Personally I don't think it's funny or smart, but then, neither do I think people who use it are funny or smart.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

The term is 'Mot' not 'moth'.

So, it was a dig at women, apparently.

I won't be arguing the semantics with you, but I would advise people to be cautious of their phrasing in this thread.

Interestingly I wasn't aware of that. Can you provide proof of the same, or is that solely based on your own opinion? I ask out of ignorance, as I was never lead to believe otherwise.

On another note, the term may have originated as a dig - the post certainly didn't.

It's Mot according to Wiki & Urban Dictionary

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mot#Noun_4

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mot

Sounds like Moth or Maith, when said in a Dublin accent. Even if it was Moth, it'd be a pretty far stretch to use the analogy that women eat holes in mens pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I hate being called "chicken", how did that ever begin to be used as an affectionate term? And I don't like "sweetheart" either, it reminds me of Jeremy Kyle and I just find it really condescending. The only ones I do like are "hun" and "darling".

Sound!
    That said, I wouldn't have thought anything was a "far stretch" for Dublin slang!?! (I guess that would explain why i believed it when I heard it :o)

• Advertisement

Hmmm, wonder then if being called 'Hun' is meant in a derogatory fashion then, rather than a shortened version of 'Honey'? :P

Advertisement