Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slang names you dislike ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I really don't mind most pet names that are indigenous to this part of the world, I guess because I didn't grow up with them so there is little context.

I don't like the more north american ones like babe and baby though. They make me think of slimy frat boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Pontificatus

WindSock wrote: »
    Hmmm, wonder then if being called 'Hun' is meant in a derogatory fashion then, rather than a shortened version of 'Honey'? :P

LOLs brilliant

I'm not a fan of per names any more, calling someone your pet name for them be it 'sweetheart' or 'darling' in the midst of an argument can lead to disaster of tectonic proportions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I'm not a fan of per names any more, calling someone your pet name for them be it 'sweetheart' or 'darling' in the midst of an argument can lead to disaster of tectonic proportions.

Not quite the same thing, but when I was little, if my mum called me "sweetheart" or "darling" I knew I was in big trouble! :D She never said it in a nice way, it was always shouted in an I'm-going-to-kill-you! sort of way! (Have to admit, I always deserved it ... :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

"Heeeeeerrrrrrrrrrreeeeee Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud"

:mad: the call of the scumbag/scanger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I kinda like these terms, I think they're kind of endearing. Though last week in the dentist he was saying 'good girl, well done' which I didn't appreciate at all. he was trying to be nice, but it felt condescending at the time.

In limerick a lot of the people serving in shops seem to use these terms but I kinda like it. It makes me feel all young and daughter-like :)

Not so much a fan of chicken, or babe though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I hate hun, pet, chicken. I don't mind babe/babes. In fact, I say them all the time! Although I really only use them in a joking way, my very favourite is 'bbz'. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

babe/hun/sweetie/darling/honey/bird/mot/missus/pet/chicken/doll

Hate them, hate them all!! :mad:

'Luv' I don't mind. I think coz its a proper Dub term and its mainly auld biddies who say it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Hate hate hate 'good girl'. I find it so condescending. Also, it's something I would only ever say to my dog, so that could be the start of my dislike. Also not a fan of 'pet'.I dislike ANY of that sort of thing from strangers, especially older men. Ick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I hate 'luv', initially thought 'hun' was awful but it has grown on me!:)

Mum hates me calling her 'darling'...so I no longer do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭elleburp

Well I'm glad you cleared up the mot(h) thing - I had thought it was like a moth to a flame being likened to a woman pestering a man. Silly me :o

I actually got into a little scrap about it in the pub with a mate last week, turns out he was right. Doh!

ETA: I still don't like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 dazzacon

elleburp wrote: »
    "Moth" has got to the worst, then "pet". I find the term moth derogatory and the term pet is just plain patronising. I don't act like a moth and I am not your pet!....

Dont you think it really depends on the person who says it, the context and your relationship with them. Oh and 'pet' doesnt derive from pet as in animal, it is short for Petal as in flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,686 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I had a mate once who said:
    "I have to go and see the Mot(h)"..(I presumed he said moth).
    So I had to ask why was he referring to her as a "moth"?..
    he smiled at me and said "Well shes hardly a butterfly now in all fairness!"

True story!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the word "dear" yet. It's so flippin' annoying. "Yes dear" is probably the most condescending thing you can say to someone. I just want to scream when I hear it.

Or buddy/mate - that's really annoying if it's someone you've never met before - and therefore is definitely NOT a buddy or a mate!! :mad:

Generally I just hate anyone (other than my hubby) calling me any kind of babe/chick/hun/luv name. But I think most people just do it out of habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭elleburp

dazzacon wrote: »
    Dont you think it really depends on the person who says it, the context and your relationship with them. Oh and 'pet' doesnt derive from pet as in animal, it is short for Petal as in flower.
    Yeah but the word is pet. Petal I don't mind too much, or "flower" but I don't like pet. I use it, but only for the one person who says it to me and I don't think she likes it much either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

papagormo wrote: »
    If years of being the wingman to my mate has taught me anything, its that "hey baby" followed by pretty much any cheese line is generally not the way to go about things! :)
    (worked for him the the very odd time though)

If "Hey Baby" doesn't work for Butthead then it won't work for anyone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭happyoutish

Can't stand the word loveen... drives me mad!!!!! :mad: Typical saying in the Whest.... well Galway anyway!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I think a lot of pet names are area driven, in the middle of the country here and Ive very rarely heard luv,hun or babe/babes being used. Whilst texting friends or facebook messgaes, that type of thing yes, but not actually spoken. My mother has always called me chicken since I was a baby, but would never address anyone else by the name, nor me in public - again not a name ive heard being used down here.

What is being used is 'good girl', usually in thanks tho, also 'friend', to well address a friend,as in 'Hello friend' - neither of these bother me tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 twoweekstogo

My brothers girlfriend calls him bab or babs, she also calls my son, my husband, my da, my uncles and my male cousins the same it drives me bloody insane! Its also the way she says it, in a real baby voice, it drives me up the wall! I also hate good girl, babe and darling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

My ex got very patronising toward the end of out relationship, and with it came all the "luv", "pet" etc etc. It did my head in.

I have a male friend who often calls me 'babe'. I've given out to him a number of times for it, but its hard to get the point across that its quite demeaning! grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

I noticed people I didnt know calling me hun and pet all the time, and it made me quite uncomfortable, I wouldn't even use it towards my own family members whom Im very close to and an old boyfriend of mine used to say babe and it took me a while to get used to it, I used to smile feeling awkward trying to figure out how to respond without sounding patronising or reveal how slightly uneasy I felt with the term...lol

Maybe because "babe" seems such an American term of affection, I associate it with the "high school" shows I've seen on television. Often sounds odd coming out of an Irish guys mouth! lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Aloona

Spadina wrote: »
    I hate pet and sweetheart, but my most hated thing to be said to me used to happen all the time when I was working in Retail, men saying "good girl" :mad::mad:

:o Yep, I used to get ''Good girl yourself'' a lot too... ick.

Babe always makes me think of the pig...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

men say 'good man' to each other all the time too...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

What slang names do women like being called, if any?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭KaiserMc

Biatch and Hawt.. said by an Irish/white person have to be the worst terms of endearment ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭kiwi123

it wrecks my head when people call each other a legend or ledge (and especially when people write ledgend)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jynx59

bluewolf wrote: »
    "Bird". Jesus christ I could handle cúnt but "bird" drives me up the wall. I gave out to some fella on saturday night for using it :o
    women are called " birds" because of the "worms" they pick up:D i hate when men say (me bird) it's degrading to women,

i'm a woman by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

What slang names do women like being called, if any?

I actually like all the ones everyone's saying they hate! Not from a stranger, but from my partner. "Pet" is his name for me, he writes it on presents, cards, everything. "Good girl" is music to my ears from him :)

Not a big fan of chicken or hun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I don't mind 'hun', 'hunny', or 'baby'. Not too keen on 'luv' but its ok depends on the person who says it to me. The slang names I really dislike are 'babe', 'chick', 'sexy' and 'gorgeous'. I'd prefer to be called by my real name or a nickname similar to my own name or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I don't really mind any of them- I see them for what they are: terms of endearment/affectionate pet-names

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Holy crap! I had no idea all these were so annoying. I am guilty of using all of them regularly.....But this leads me to another thing....no girlfriend has ever said anything and neither have any girl friends. If something is annoying just say it straight up and that will be the end of it......Damn, I really need to lie down, just when I thought I was getting better at seeing and understanding where girls are coming from!

Advertisement