Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great AH Census of Religion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

penguin88 wrote: »
    The ignorance which I referred to was two-fold.

Your post displayed a lack of knowledge/understanding of the concept of belief systems and the debate that surrounds them. To suggest that any belief system "wins" due to a poll (be it online or in the form of a census) and that those who hold any other belief system should reconsider their position based on this exemplifies this. This is a complex multifactorial debate and, as I said, to think of it as a contest to be won or lost on a poll does not do justice to the intelligent discussion that has been displayed my the majority of contributors.

Secondly, your argument from authority, being dismissive and condescending towards a minority opinion and branding such an opinion as lacking common sense (regardless of what you may have been trying to infer), I consider to be ignorant in the sense of rude (as Zillah posted). Such a post does not help either side in this debate, it only serves to damage the discussion.

Really though, my post can stand on its own without my use of the word ignorance, as people seem to have taken exception to it.

To respond to your question regarding god, you may notice I did not claim anything of that sort in my post, you have simply made an assumption of the belief that I hold. For your information, I would categorise my view as option 3.

The question was not specific to you.Sorry.I should have made that clearer.

I make no apology for publicly remarking at the surprise and contentment and slight sense of vindication, I felt when reflecting on the poll.In fact where do you even get off with your self-righteous,authoritarian attempt at a reprimand.

You have contributed sod all to this debate and now you decide to nip at my heels like some teething pup of it's chain for the first time.Please don't waste my and everyone else's time
    We are all well beyond scoldings from Muinteoir at this stage.Offer some form of argument instead of launching attacks.

For the record, are you a believer in some kind of god or higher being/cosmic sugardaddy or are you agnostic or atheist or what?

Is this simply about etiquette .If it is I promise to read Dale Carnegie tonight.Will that do or should I enrol in a Swiss finishing school?Let me know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

The question was not specific to you.Sorry.I should have made that clearer.

I make no apology for publicly remarking at the surprise and contentment and slight sense of vindication, I felt when reflecting on the poll.In fact where do you even get off with your self-righteous,authoritarian attempt at a reprimand.

You have contributed sod all to this debate and now you decide to nip at my heels like some teething pup of it's chain for the first time.Please don't waste my and everyone else's time
    We are all well beyond scoldings from Muinteoir at this stage.Offer some form of argument instead of launching attacks.

For the record, are you a believer in some kind of god or higher being/cosmic sugardaddy or are you agnostic or atheist or what?

Is this simply about etiquette .If it is I promise to read Dale Carnegie tonight.Will that do or should I enrol in a Swiss finishing school?Let me know.

For the record, reading my posts might actually be helpful:
    For your information, I would categorise my view as option 3.

The attitude you have conveyed in some of your posts I have found off-putting and is one of the reasons I have not felt like contributing thus far. I will accept your request and partake in this debate/discussion (or arguement, as you regard it as). What would you like me to argue about?

For the record, reading my posts might actually be helpful:

The attitude you have conveyed in some of your posts I have found off-putting and is one of the reasons I have not felt like contributing thus far. I will accept your request and partake in this debate/discussion (or arguement, as you regard it as). What would you like me to argue about?

Well since you are a 3 perhaps to expound on that would be a good start.Give us something to chew on.It might lead to an new point of view or some fresh angle.Who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Would you have respect for someone's beliefs if they believed elvis is still alive?

hold on a second - Elvis is dead? I met him last year on the Number 9 to Piccadilly Sqaure in London

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Who likes egg n chips?

• Advertisement

sligopark wrote: »
    hold on a second - Elvis is dead? I met him last year on the Number 9 to Piccadilly Sqaure in London

Presley, not Costello ya gowl:rolleyes:

Presley, not Costello ya gowl:rolleyes:

Costello is dead - WTF :eek:

Who likes egg n chips?

love 'em especially when the eggs are almost undercooked and I can dip all the chips to the end in them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Jakkass wrote: »
    Where does the Bible say how old the world is? Just curious.

I'm going to throw this back at you - how can you reconcile the world being billions of years old based on what genesis claims and the lineage starting with Adam going up to Jesus, which we know was approx 2k years ago.

The bible would have us believe there have been only several dozens of generations, whereas, going by your understanding of evoloution as put forward in previous posts, this not correct.

You either believe the list of begots in the bible is true (btw, what would be the allegorical benefit of listing off dozens of descendents in probably the most boring part of the bible) and that we have not evolved over many millions of years.

or

We have evolved over many millions of year and the old testament lineage is a story. Most likely constructed to try and justify some particular person's right to rule the plebs.

This is awful reasoning. Given that Jesus often spoke in parable, and much of the Bible is poetic.

The problem is which part is allegory and which is meant to be literal? Up until fairly recently it was accepted doctrine that it the whole old testament was to be taken as ... well... Gospel :D What was accepted as being literal has evolved had to change as science has peeled back the veil.

love 'em especially when the eggs are almost undercooked and I can dip all the chips to the end in them

I put a cupla-chips in a bitta-buttered-bread & a dippa ina egg. Lubberly.

• Advertisement

luvly - also brown sauce cup of tea ;)

Which end of the egg did you batter open? Your very soul depends on this!!!

luvly - also brown sauce cup of tea ;)

Ah the oul mug-a-tae.

Brown sauce is also excellent in a rasher sangwitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

I'm a member of The Church of The Latter Day Dude

aDeener wrote: »

almost said me too then realised that you didn't mean The Church Of Latter Day DudeS - a branch having serious disregard for your church's liberal views

:D

smcgiff wrote: »
    Which end of the egg did you batter open? Your very soul depends on this!!!

I usually just strike the egg in a way that i end up with two equal size halves.

There should be a Dude edition of the holy bible.

In the beginning there was a dude called god and **** was all dark n ****.
    And god is like 'brah, WTF ?I can't see **** up in here.Need a fcukin light or something"
    And **** got bright, and god was stoked dude,far out man

It'd be a lot of translation though!

Isn't that The King's Dude Bible?

I usually just strike the egg in a way that i end up with two equal size halves.

One of them, eh? There a special place on the eight level* of hell reserved for the likes of you.

*Having to listen to Non stop Daniel O'Donnell songs performed by Daniel (also deserving of level 8 hell) for all eternity.

One of them, eh? There a special place on the eight level* of hell reserved for the likes of you.

hold on a second - I'm going to hell? Are you one of those Church of Latter Day Dude guys?

• Advertisement

hold on a second - I'm going to hell?

Question - if you live in Sligo, would you really know the difference if you did? :D;)

Question - if you live in Sligo, would you really know the difference if you did? :D;)

ROLMYAO :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

In the beginning there was a dude called god and **** was all dark n ****.
    And god is like 'brah, WTF ?I can't see **** up in here.Need a fcukin light or something"
    And **** got bright, and god was stoked dude,far out man

It'd be a lot of translation though!

do you abide? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'm going to throw this back at you - how can you reconcile the world being billions of years old based on what genesis claims and the lineage starting with Adam going up to Jesus, which we know was approx 2k years ago.

The same way that others have done so. Here's some of my fuller reasoning on Creation.
    We have evolved over many millions of year and the old testament lineage is a story. Most likely constructed to try and justify some particular person's right to rule the plebs.

I think such a binary distinction applies a number of unwarranted assumptions to Genesis and other Scripture that aren't actually present in the passages.
    The problem is which part is allegory and which is meant to be literal? Up until fairly recently it was accepted doctrine that it the whole old testament was to be taken as ... well... Gospel :D What was accepted as being literal has evolved had to change as science has peeled back the veil.

The Old Testament is inspired by God also. Indeed, I personally regard the Old Testament canon very highly, but one has to read it in the context of the New Testament, and one has to understand the implications of Jesus' coming into the world before reading it. A misunderstanding of this is usually why people take Scripture out of context in arguing from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

In general terms, I put myself down as a 6. We do not know what caused the big bang, it is therefore impossible to know that there is no God-like figure.

However, as far as Christianity is concerned, I'm a 7. I know for a fact that there is no Christian God.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Well since you are a 3 perhaps to expound on that would be a good start.Give us something to chew on.It might lead to an new point of view or some fresh angle.Who knows?

I don't know if I'll be able to give you anything new to chew on, but I will try.

Well firstly I understand that there is no proof of the existence of a god or not and I do not think it is possible that there will ever be any evidence that will prove or disprove it. This, for me anyway, makes both of the extreme ends of the scale untenable.

Giving it further thought, I am probably closer to a 2 than a 3. I do live my life assuming there is a god there. For me, a belief in a higher being and an afterlife offers security and comfort in some respects of life. Now I do not apply this to the likes of evolution - I feel I have a good knowledge of it and think it is an undeniable fact. It is more that my belief makes the likes of thoughts of death and cases of bereavement easier to deal with. I have a lot of respect for people who can deal with the death of a loved one without having a belief in an afterlife.

With regards to Christianity, I feel that by trying to apply some of the values extolled in the Gospel to my own life that (although it sounds like a bit of a cliché) I feel my life is better for it. Of course religion is not the only source of moral guidance, but I think that the Golden Rule (treat others as you would like to be treated) is as good an ethical principle as any.

I do not know if the world would be a better place if there was no religion, however I think each individual should have the right to choose what they believe in (in so far as it does not adversely affect anyone else).

Apologies, I haven't explained things very well, could be the time of the day.

do you abide? :pac:
    dude u know the dude abides.

I don't know if I'll be able to give you anything new to chew on, but I will try.

An hear no mention of brown sauce in black tea - come on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Thou shalt not murder is the commandment (Exodus 20:13)

Murder = unlawful killing.
    Death penalty = lawful killing.

Disobedience to God. Ultimately it is up to Him who lives and who dies. He has given us the gift of life and ultimately He has the right to take it away.

Are you serious?

Until now I have taken you seriously. I have been under the impression that you are a rational person who has taken the good parts of the bible and used them in order to better yourself. I'm not so sure after reading that post.

God didn't tell Moses to murder anyone. He told Moses NOT to murder people.
    Who the **** did Moses think he was, going and kmurdering those people? Did he think he was God? According to you, it's up to God who lives and who dies, so Moses must have developed a God complex while he was up there with his hammer and chisel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Terry wrote: »
    Until now I have taken you seriously. I have been under the impression that you are a rational person who has taken the good parts of the bible and used them in order to better yourself. I'm not so sure after reading that post.

I believe the Bible is good when used correctly, and read in context.
    God didn't tell Moses to murder anyone. He told Moses NOT to murder people.

I've explained that murder is unlawful killing. The death penalty is lawful killing. Moses had authority over the Israelites while he was bringing them into the land of Caanan.
    Who the **** did Moses think he was, going and murdering those people? Did he think he was God? According to you, it's up to God who lives and who dies, so Moses must have developed a God complex while he was up there with his hammer and chisel.

Moses, had judicial authority over the Israelites, because God had given it to him earlier in Exodus.

Advertisement