Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

jmcc wrote: »
    So with Pat Kenny going to Newstalk, could it be that Marty will be moved from LyricFM?

Regards...jmcc

Thinking that, I can see the maneuvering already.;)

Tubs to be rescued from R2 to fill in Pat's slot.....R2 to re-designate it's morning output gearing towards baby-boomer/over 40's market.....could it be that Marty/Hugo/The Major and all those other people who seem to be in there will migrate to Two.

Make it so, someone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

I will deal with this later when I get home.

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    ....... And I don't agree that I'm Hugo. He is very good but I think he is Marty or someone on Marty's team because he doesn't let Trish or Lorcan have a look in at Hugo.

Life can be so cruel at times.

No doubt both Trish and Lorcan are still getting over that particular disappointment. :rolleyes:

A nation awaits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Do you mean, tell Pat he is not leaving RTE and thats the end of it?
    Pat will issue a new statement this evening say he has reconsidered, and is not joining Newstalk after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

europa11 wrote: »
    Thinking that, I can see the maneuvering already.;)

Tubs to be rescued from R2 to fill in Pat's slot.....R2 to re-designate it's morning output gearing towards baby-boomer/over 40's market.....could it be that Marty/Hugo/The Major and all those other people who seem to be in there will migrate to Two.
    Well Tubridy has always cultivated that 'young fogey' image and he might fit in with RTE1 but he's a light-weight and definitely no Pat Kenny. The competition from other past-their-prime DJs even in a refocused 2FM will be intense and 2FM may not want Marty back given that he did lose so many listeners before his show was axed. It is obvious that Marty is more tea-time tedious than Te Deum so RTE management will have a major problem working out where to put him. I would not be surprised to see him being moved to the drive-time slot.

Regards...jmcc

Almaviva wrote: »
    Do you mean, tell Pat he is not leaving RTE and thats the end of it?
    Pat will issue a new statement this evening say he has reconsidered, and is not joining Newstalk after all.

I am not a specially young mother (thanking you :p) ) but I like good music because I was brought up on it whether this was John McCormack or Andre Rieu or Nelson Eddie or Nelson Riddle.

But it's serious now with Pat gone and with Marty off the air today without any warning. Does anyone know what happened? There could be a shake up going on in RTE that will not anger well for the future. It would be a huge shame if all the best homegrown stars were to be shook out of RTE. I am crossing my fingers now. Could you imageine if Trish was pushed up to do the programme every morning!

I can see why Mart keeps Hugo and the Major General to himself. Trish doesn't have Sid, or Esther or any of the team on. Which is a shame, I think. :(

There could be a shake up going on in RTE that will not anger well for the future.
    We live in hope. :)

Regards...jmcc

I can see why Mart keeps Hugo and the Major General to himself.
    Yeah! Marty Whelan - the Lieutenant Steven Hauk of Irish broadcasting. (Good Morning Vietnam joke). Perhaps they will all be very happy on their new show/station. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

I like good music because I was brought up on Andre Rieu.

Which is a shame, I think. :(

Which is funny, I think.

• Advertisement

Just tuned into LyricFM and apparently Marty is on holiday with Trish Taylor sitting in. Wonder if this was planned or the shape of things to come? She has a far more pleasant voice and manner than the bould Marty.

Regards...jmcc

Trish is nice enough but she hasn't any of the excitement that Marty has. You can see that in the dull way she talks to the woman from the AA. I hope he renews his contract.

Trish is nice enough but she hasn't any of the excitement that Marty has. You can see that in the dull way she talks to the woman from the AA. I hope he renews his contract.
    You appear to listen to LyricFM for the DJs rather than the music where as most of us on this thread used to listen to LyricFM for the music. Perhaps the final decision on Marty's contract is that of RTE management. The jockeying for Pat Kenny's old slot began in earnest with that Sindo piece about there not being enough women in radio. However RTE has too many lightweight presenters (O'Callaghan, Tubridy, Marty etc) and one less serious presenter (Kenny). Perhaps Marty is hoping for a few crumbs or at least a transfer?

Regards...jmcc

I see what you mean but I don't agree that Ryan or Mart or Miriam are light. The flavor of the station comes out of the stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭NorthDown2

Please not Trish, nothing against her but I agree with earlier posts that she sounds dull. I don't mind Lorcan Murray when he sits in for Marty he sounds to me more interested in what he is doing.

But as a listener from up north, at least Lyric under Marty positions itself differently from BBC Radio 3 and Classic FM. Under the bouqet of RTE Radio analogue stations, RTE 1 has speech, 2fm is trying to do popular music, RnaG does its thing, leaving Lyric with a show that can appeal to many.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What a pleasure it is listening to Lyric this morning!

That is all.

:)

NorthDown2 wrote: »
    Please not Trish, nothing against her but I agree with earlier posts that she sounds dull. I don't mind Lorcan Murray when he sits in for Marty he sounds to me more interested in what he is doing.

But as a listener from up north, at least Lyric under Marty positions itself differently from BBC Radio 3 and Classic FM. Under the bouqet of RTE Radio analogue stations, RTE 1 has speech, 2fm is trying to do popular music, RnaG does its thing, leaving Lyric with a show that can appeal to many.

:cool:

I am delighted that the Silent Majority are now coming out and saying what they say face to face whereever Lyric is talked about. Mart might not be every one's cup of tea but he gives something different. He is very unique and special. Anyone who doesn't like it can listen to the BBC or something else or put on a CD.

I agree that Trish sounds dull. She means well but she is like a head nun talking to the girls. She can't even make the bits from the papers sound fascinating the way Mart can. And she cannot hold a banter with the AA people for example. She might be good for religious programmes or something like that.

Thank you for this message! :)

I see what you mean but I don't agree that Ryan or Mart or Miriam are light.
    They are lightweight presenters more suited to light entertainment than serious journalism. Pat Kenny could do serious journalism and that's why people listened to his show.

Regards...jmcc

Anyone who doesn't like it can listen to the BBC or something else or put on a CD.
    That is what has been happening with LyricFM. Some people, like yourself, appreciate the 2FM antiques roadshow from Marty but others who like Classical music rather than the dead air filler from Marty, are just switching off his show. Losing this demographic is dangerous for what was once a classical music station and LyricFM has lost nearly 30% (I think) of its audience in the last two years.

Regards...jmcc

Banter with AA people!!! :eek:

So instead of traffic updates you want a woman to come on occasionally from the Autoclub to solely engage with Marty in order for him to practice his Blackpool postcard style double-enterdes with.

Meanwhile mobile listeners can run into as many traffic jams as they want.
    Music lovers can clamber up the walls or choke on their cereals. The great god of idle banter must prevail.

And as for the rest of us....... whom you now seem to categorize as a "noisy minority", mind you it makes a change from "all-male posters", "classical snobs" and "yummy-mummy 4x4 drivers" I wonder what we'll be classed by you as next week? Maybe you can get Mart to run a competition on-air. First Prize: a CD playing 20 versions of "I Love Paris" .......are you suggesting that Marty's 'humourous' asides, schizo characters writing in with madcap essays and "the way he reads the papers" are what Lyric listeners want to hear?

More importantly, and to repeat something said often enough on this thread, this was never part of the station's original remit.

But I suppose you are still beating out the real argument that Whelan supporters seem to be making: Who needs classical music on a classical music staion when you can have banter wilt the traffic lady. letters from Hugo, a bit of Rolf Harris and 'My old man's a dustman'. ......and "tell me why do I Love Paris" on a spool.

Please 2fm.....take him back, please!

• Advertisement

Banter with AA people!!! :eek:

So instead of traffic updates you want a woman to come on occasionally from the Autoclub to solely engage with Marty in order for him to practice his Blackpool postcard style double-enterdes with.

Meanwhile mobile listeners can run into as many traffic jams as they want.
    Music lovers can clamber up the walls or choke on their cereals. The great god of idle banter must prevail.

And as for the rest of us....... whom you now seem to categorize as a "noisy minority", mind you it makes a change from "all-male posters", "classical snobs" and "yummy-mummy 4x4 drivers" I wonder what we'll be classed by you as next week? Maybe you can get Mart to run a competition on-air. First Prize: a CD playing 20 versions of "I Love Paris" .......are you suggesting that Marty's 'humourous' asides, schizo characters writing in with madcap essays and "the way he reads the papers" are what Lyric listeners want to hear?

More importantly, and to repeat something said often enough on this thread, this was never part of the station's original remit.

But I suppose you are still beating out the real argument that Whelan supporters seem to be making: Who needs classical music on a classical music staion when you can have banter Hugo, Rolf Harris and 'My old man's a dustman'.

Please 2fm.....take him back, please!

I have NEVER heard that song played on the Marty Whelan show! Rolf Harris is very uncommon. Hugo is class. And the banter and the competitions are what a lot listen to because it shows its quality live radio not a nun playing a few 78's with a go back to sleep voice.

Hugo and the Major General are highlights. Ask anyone who is a real listener. It's like the Goons only modern. (Remember the Goons?) And Mart is an expert on laughable radio. He gives us Kenneth Williams, Peter Sellers, Spike, Hugo and the Major General. A while back he had a cat writing in to him and it's a pity thats gone too.

I don't think Lyric will be so stupid as to lose sight of him now because he was telling us on Monday that the numbers of listeners are up just like Hawley said. No sign of Hawley this past week I notice either?

........... A while back he had a cat writing in to him and it's a pity thats gone too.

:pac::pac::pac:

The State rests its' case.

And the banter and the competitions are what a lot listen to because it shows its quality live radio
    No. It is meaningless babble for people who listen to talk radio rather than music.
    Hugo and the Major General are highlights. Ask anyone who is a real listener.
    As opposed to virtual listeners?
    It's like the Goons only modern. (Remember the Goons?)
    Well that would be from the 1950s - like many of Marty's tunes.
    And Mart is an expert on laughable radio.
    Such an expert that 2FM fired him when he was on holidays? But then he probably got the joke.
    I don't think Lyric will be so stupid as to lose sight of him now because he was telling us on Monday that the numbers of listeners are up just like Hawley said.
    The overall figures for LyricFM are down.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Saying that lyric figures are up is a joke. Anyone who works in the Radio industry knows that Breakfast is the anchor on the schedule. It's at that time you should be getting most of your listeners. Look at the figures and you'll see that lyric gradually gains listeners during the day. I don't think this happens in any other national station in Western World.

As for Northern Listeners enjoying Marty...That's fantastic but you have a real choice. whenever I'm in Northern Ireland I tune into BBC 3 or Classic FM. However 75 percent of the Republic can't receive these stations on Normal radios.

That's a solution I would be happy with, Rebroadcast BBC 3 and Classic FM to the rest of the island and leave Marty were he is.

What Marty brings "to the party" is how Irish he is. He gives a great chance to Irish acts. Like when Red Hurley brought out his opera album last year. Mart had him in for an interview and played tracks like Red's cover of The Hebrew Slaves. That mightn't have got onto even Classic FM.

What Marty brings "to the party" is how Irish he is. He gives a great chance to Irish acts. Like when Red Hurley brought out his opera album last year. Mart had him in for an interview and played tracks like Red's cover of The Hebrew Slaves. That mightn't have got onto even Classic FM.

Your point being?

fyi, I had a quick look at today's playlist. Trish played the following this morning

* Ag Críost An Síol Duration 0:03:17 Composer: Harbison, Janet
    * Toss The Feathers Duration 0:04:49 Composer: Traditional Irish
    * Molly Malone Duration 0:02:46 Composer: Traditional Irish

Now admittedly, no Irish Showband singers featured afaik, and if memory serves, I've yet to hear any other Lyric presenter bringing a Larry Cunningham or Foster'n'Allen out, even if it was an operatic cover.

How does playing Red Hurley make Marty "more Irish"?

Again, what's your point?

Your point being?

fyi, I had a quick look at today's playlist. Trish played the following this morning

* Ag Críost An Síol Duration 0:03:17 Composer: Harbison, Janet
    * Toss The Feathers Duration 0:04:49 Composer: Traditional Irish
    * Molly Malone Duration 0:02:46 Composer: Traditional Irish

Now admittedly, no Irish Showband singers featured afaik, and if memory serves, I've yet to hear any other Lyric presenter bringing a Larry Cunningham or Foster'n'Allen out, even if it was an operatic cover.

How does playing Red Hurley make Marty "more Irish"?

Again, what's your point?

Poooooh! :confused: Obviously because Mart give a bit of coverage to Irish stars like Red Hurley or Regina Nathan or Cara O'Sullivan or The Priests or the Celtic Tenors or any others on the list. They get pushed aside by Kerl Jenkins or Cecilia Bartoli and Luciano or Ennio any of the others who are good themselves but who don't need a bit of a push up the charts. Thats what it means when we say Marty is loyal to the Irish singers and songwriters.

Signs on though that I can't but Red's album anywhere so that even Mart wasn't able to get it into the shops not even Tesco in Clare Hall when I looked and they have everything people want in the music line.

Nobody slags Larry for doing it for pop!

p.s. You can't blame Marty for what Trish played today. He seems to be away recharging the batteries so she's on her ownio. She's doing her best, God love her - but it's dull as dish water like a bad day in Skerries in August.

Poooooh! :confused: Obviously because Mart give a bit of coverage to Irish stars like Red Hurley or Regina Nathan or Cara O'Sullivan or The Priests or the Celtic Tenors or any others on the list. They get pushed aside by Kerl Jenkins or Cecilia Bartoli and Luciano or Ennio any of the others who are good themselves but who don't need a bit of a push up the charts. Thats what it means when we say Marty is loyal to the Irish singers and songwriters.

"we". presumably being the loyal devotees of Martydom who couldn't care less where on the dial he presents his show from. Perhaps if Marty is so all of a sudden hell-bent on giving Irish artists a spin above others, he could peddle his wares on Radio na Gaeltachta. At this stage it makes about as much sense as it is having him on the Lyric portal.

Signs on though that I can't but Red's album anywhere so that even Mart wasn't able to get it into the shops not even Tesco in Clare Hall when I looked and they have everything people want in the music line.

Well I'm truly shocked, would have thought Mart had more influence with Tesco, he should refuse to do their voiceovers until Red Hurley is restored to where he belongs, the supermarket shelf. :rolleyes: Totally agree with you there.

Nobody slags Larry for doing it for pop!

That's Larry on 2fm, where Mart.....sorry, I'm losing this, who is advocating or suggesting that Trish Taylor or Lorcan Murray do not or should not play Irish artistes when filling in for MITM? The problem is defining the style of music. i.e. playing an Irish Classical singer on a Classics station makes sense, playing an Irish C&W singer on the same station does not. I'd rather this point wasn't beaten to death incidentally, so to repeat, it's not about nationality - nor should it be.

p.s. You can't blame Marty for what Trish played today. He seems to be away recharging the batteries so she's on her ownio. She's doing her best, God love her - but it's dull as dish water like a bad day in Skerries in August.

I don't recall "blaming" anyone for "what Trish played today", I only highlighted the three pieces from today's playlist because you suggested - did you not? - that Trish doesn't play Irish music.

As for that "dull as dishwater" comment, you are of course entitled to your opinion, as am I. However if you want some jackass with a faux British/Mid-Atlantic accent jumping out of the radio at you screaming "get up it's sevvvvveen tuhhrrrthy! and you're toooooned toooo ninedyyyfooive eff emm, whoooooooo!hooo!" then by all means feel free to find them. Some of us like the occasional calm of the morning which Lyric should be offering but does not as sadly Marty errs towards the latter, although I admit to slight exaggeration there, or who knows, maybe not once he's "re-charged".

I don't recall "blaming" anyone for "what Trish played today", I only highlighted the three pieces from today's playlist because you suggested - did you not? - that Trish doesn't play Irish music.

As for that "dull as dishwater" comment, you are of course entitled to your opinion, as am I. However if you want some jackass with a faux British/Mid-Atlantic accent jumping out of the radio at you screaming "get up it's sevvvvveen tuhhrrrthy! and you're toooooned toooo ninedyyyfooive eff emm, whoooooooo!hooo!" then by all means feel free to find them. Some of us like the occasional calm of the morning which Lyric should be offering but does not as sadly Marty errs towards the latter, although I admit to slight exaggeration there, or who knows, maybe not once he's "re-charged".

Actually I went looking on the Web for Red Hurley's album, but I haven't chased it down yet but I got this where he's playing Cork in September. In the Cork Opera House!! Put that up your pipe and smoke it!!! ;)

And look at what CultureFox say about him here?

They call him and I quote "Ireland’s Greatest Voice Red Hurley". So! Mart wasn't wrong there either!

http://www.culturefox.ie/event/how-great-thou-art-with-red-hurley/21370.aspx

He is singing with "with Soprano Sandra Oman and Special Guest Choir."
    And, and I quote "luminaries such as Maya Angelou, Oprah Winfrey and Terry Wogan are numbered among the admirers of the Irish-born singer. " ! :pac:

• Advertisement

I should have guessed. :o Marty and Red talked on the interview about an album but that didn't mean CD. It's only available as an iTunes. :P

It's called "How Great Thou Art!" Mart said he hadn't ever heard anything like it.

I thought Pavarotti's Nessun Dorma was on it but it's the Nella Fantasia. He also did The Hebrew Slaves.

It's all here and you can even listen to samples.

There are some standards too like " You'll Never Walk Alone."
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Great-Thou-Art/dp/B002PRXK8A/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk

I'm not sure if there isn't a second album though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement