Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

jmcc wrote: »
    In the Artic, perhaps? :)

Regards...jmcc

Haha! ;):D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

*Gets more popcorn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Does anyone have any info or contact details for Y23R ? Its now two days since her last post feeding us fascinating titbits of Marty.:(
    Am getting a little worried I think.:( Is my number 3 on the boards.ie Matchmaking 'now your lovin'' facility so I feel a little responsible.
    Or are Lyric staff on holidays for the long weekend? I didnt see any mention of that.
    Or maybe a number mobile number for Marty ? :)
    It really is a long time without an update I think.

In the absense of any service from Lyric over the last few days I have been listening to concertos by Giuseppe Tartini (I know...heaveeeeee!, well not really ;)). Highly recommended.:)

Haha! Marty is off getting to Verona. I'm just waiting now for Miriam on Saturday Night on One. Mart isn't on on Monday either.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

I will say I don't actually blame Marty for this situation. It's those in charge that need to look at themselves. Lyric should and could get a Market share of 4 to 5 percent if it was overhauled. It would slowly have reached that target if it had been left alone. (would have taken years though!)

Well now that his mate Claire has gone..

However, it's far more likely that they'll turn Lyric into a hybrid of Classic FM and BBC Radio 2 over the next year or so. I wouldn't be surprised if Ronan Collins makes an appearance at lunchtime when the autumn schedules come out.

That's crazy. If Lyric goes down the Marty style 'chat and music' road it will fail.
    Yvonne23R wrote: »
    Actually Marty might be able to do a One-Man-Show of Hugo if he wanted to go on the road with it. It would be a huge hit I think. .

Great idea. May I suggest a world tour. :-)
    *Gets more popcorn*

Hush you, Don't frighten the horses.:D

• Advertisement

I don't know what is going on. I turned on the radio when the alarm went this morning and - There Was Marty! I'm certain I heard him saying he was going to Verona and Venice. First I thought he was broadcasting from Italy because of all the Italian music he was playing but it seems he is still in Lyric HQ. :)

Mart was telling us that he has done an interview with Ludovico and that they are going to play it in the next few days when they find where they put the tape. ;)

He played a great sketch called the Reading of the Wills. I hadn't heard it before but I don't think it was Hugo but it was nearly as good. And then he said he would like to go to Zurich sometime to visit his money!:D

Some really lovely soothing music this morning, You could be in Napoli listening to it. We have the weather here nearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

.......... First I thought he was broadcasting from Italy because of all the Italian music he was playing but it seems he is still in Lyric HQ. :).........

Ah yes, I can imagine Mart, Hugo and all the others fitting right in in the land of opera, olives and ice cream. Hopefully to be snapped up RAI Classico where he could offer an unsuspecting Latin audience the following.....

A daily treble from Ennio Morricone, nonstop repeats of Sophia Loren's comedy duets with Peter Sellers, some Andrea Bocelli thrown in and who knows, instead of the daily homage to James Bond themes, he could play the theme to "The Italian Job" instead, until it, like "I Lurvee Paree", becomes another mind-numbing Mart staple, there's always "The Godfather" to fall back on.....and he might even re-invent Y23R's beloved talking cat incarnantion, this time with an "Eye-tal-ian" accent to keep comedy fans happy, Hugo would make a similar effort I'm sure and the radio cookery tips take on a similar flavour (pun intended!).

Who knows, Vivaldi, Montiverdi, Rossini or Verdi might even make the occasional appearance, but only their "funny stuff", the ones that you can fingertap or hum along to over the track.

Wouldn't Italy be all the better off for it. :rolleyes:

Actually Mart was really "on the ball" this morning because he had announced the Arrival of the Queen of Sheba and even made a joke about Linda Martin who was in Sheba and then the record didn't play properly. So what did he do only say "off the cuff" that the "Arrival of the Queen of Sheeba has been delayed because She was probably coming by bus!" :D Maybe we'll have her tomorrow say's he! :)

And earlier the girl from the AA Roundup didn't call in when he expected her to and he made a good joke about that too but I forget what he said then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Rude awakening this morning, when the alarm went off and discovered Marty instead of someone else. I never got out of bed faster!

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Rude awakening this morning, when the alarm went off and discovered Marty instead of someone else. I never got out of bed faster!

Well I for One go to bed with Eamon Lenihan on the Blue of The Night and I get up with Marty Whelan. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

but I forget what he said then.
    Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Vivaldi - all memorable. But you, his most avid fan cannot even remember every word that Marty said? I'm surprised that you don't tape his shows. (That 'Frasier' episode with the tapes springs to mind.) :)

Regards...jmcc

Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Vivaldi - all memorable. But you, his most avid fan cannot even remember ever word that Marty said? I'm surprised that you don't tape his shows. (That 'Frasier' episode with the tapes springs to mind.) :)

Regards...jmcc

I don't get you. :confused: I didn't like Frasier because it was very hard to follow and fast and on late. And you don't need to tape the Marty Whelan Show because if I miss it I can listen to it back on the Player to enjoy at a later stage. Sometimes I do this for the competitions especially.

I don't get you. :confused: I didn't like Frasier because it was very hard to follow and fast and on late.
    Well it was well written, won many awards and very funny. Almost completely unlike another radio show. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

He had suggested to Miss AA road watch that she had to deal with the "serious" people who take over his show while he's off.

It's as if he understands he is in fact the worst person to present his own show.

No Frasier was just all about snobs. Mart and I and thousands of loyal listeners have no time for snobbery and signs on the listening numbers are way up Marty has told us! Only the snobs want to be listening to Gilbert and Sullivan and Bach at their breakfast all the time. Volare!

limnam wrote: »
    He had suggested to Miss AA road watch that she had to deal with the "serious" people who take over his show while he's off.

It's as if he understands he is in fact the worst person to present his own show.

Hmmm!....Doesn't that sound a very familiar description of Trish from someone around here :D

No Frasier was just all about snobs.
    It was about a lot more than that - totally unlike Marty's show.
    Mart and I and thousands of loyal listeners have no time for snobbery and signs on the listening numbers are way up Marty has told us!
    Actually the numbers for Lyric FM are falling and it has lost almost 30% of its audience in the last two years.
    Only the snobs want to be listening to Gilbert and Sullivan and Bach at their breakfast all the time. Volare!
    A bit of reverse snobbery there? What's next on the Martydom show, the theme from Coronation Street or Eastenders or Fair City? Bach wrote many fine pieces so one is not limited to a single track.

Perhaps some might prefer the listen to Bach in the morning rather than someone of limited taste wibbling away as if the world cared what he thought. Even you, his most loyal fan, were not paying attention this morning. :) That does point out the ultimately forgettable nature of Marty and his show. Now if only Lyric FM could forget to renew his contract.

Regards...jmcc

No Frasier was just all about snobs. Mart and I and thousands of loyal listeners have no time for snobbery and signs on the listening numbers are way up Marty has told us! Only the snobs want to be listening to Gilbert and Sullivan and Bach at their breakfast all the time. Volare!

really......never realised there so many "snobs" around, read this......

Frasier is one of the most successful spin-off series in television history and one of the most critically acclaimed comedy series of all time.[37] The series won 37 Primetime Emmy Awards during its 11-year run, breaking the record long held by The Mary Tyler Moore Show (29). Grammer and Pierce each won four, including one each for the fifth and eleventh seasons. The series holds the record for the most consecutive Outstanding Comedy Series, winning five from 1994 to 1998.
    Grammer has been Emmy-nominated for playing Frasier Crane on Cheers and Frasier, as well as a 1992 crossover appearance on Wings, making him the only performer to be nominated for playing the same role on three different series. The first year Grammer did not receive an Emmy nomination for Frasier was in 2003. Pierce was nominated every year of the show's run, breaking the record for nominations in his category, with his eighth nomination in 2001; he was nominated a further three times after this.
    In 1994, the episode "The Matchmaker" was ranked No. 43 on TV Guide's 100 Greatest Episodes of All Time.[38]
    In 2002, Frasier was ranked No. 34 on TV Guide's 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time.[39]
    A 2006 poll taken by the British Channel 4 of the sitcom industry voted Frasier the best sitcom of all time.[40]

Check the Nielsen figures, in Series 7 it reached 20million in the USA alone...which makes your reference to the listenership figures for MITM rather laughable.

"signs on the listening numbers are way up Marty has told us!"

Well, he would, wouldn't he....or is it yourself Mart????:D

It was about a lot more than that - totally unlike Marty's show.

Actually the numbers for Lyric FM are falling and it has lost almost 30% of its audience in the last two years.

A bit of reverse snobbery there? What's next on the Martydom show, the theme from Coronation Street or Eastenders or Fair City? Bach wrote many fine pieces so one is not limited to a single track.

Perhaps some might prefer the listen to Bach in the morning rather than someone of limited taste wibbling away as if the world cared what he thought. Even you, his most loyal fan, were not paying attention this morning. :) That does point out the ultimately forgettable nature of Marty and his show. Now if only Lyric FM could forget to renew his contract.

Regards...jmcc

You're wrong actually. As we said last week there were something like 20,000 listeners to the Marty Show who weren't listening last year and this is a big spurge upwards. Some of the heavy music shows have dropped off listeners like John Kelly who is always playing unlistenable to classical music in the middle of the day with jazz and pop music thrown in too.

I could laugh at Marty all day if he could have the energies to go on but he probably has other things to do like preparing for the show the following day.

You're wrong actually. As we said last week there were something like 20,000 listeners to the Marty Show who weren't listening last year and this is a big spurge upwards.
    I think it was only a 2000 difference rather than 20,000. But then the station is in serious trouble. For a breakfast time programme, even the 20K figure is low.
    I could laugh at Marty all day if he could have the energies to go on but he probably has other things to do like preparing for the show the following day.
    It must be very reassuring for Marty that at least one person laughs at his "humour".

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

I think it was only a 2000 difference rather than 20,000. But then the station is in serious trouble. For a breakfast time programme, even the 20K figure is low.

It must be very reassuring for Marty that at least one person laughs at his "humour".

Regards...jmcc

Well actually my serious young man the Marty Show is very popular for the fun and jokes as well as for the music. Lots of people were on today to say how much they missed Mart last week and not all of them could be put on air.

And I believe the show is put on in a lot of hospitals, jails, psychiatric hospitals, bed and breakfasts, guesthouses, doctor's surgeries, cafes, hotel dining rooms and places like that so that everyone can have soothing music and chat to listen to and that everyone can enjoy. This is not picked up properly in the listening figures I think.

Mart had a good one today about that electric toilet in Japan that answers the mobile phone but where every toilet has the same number. What happens is then that someone is sitting down and someone else tries to use the number and the seat lifts up or something. He made it really funny. He was on about it at around about Hugo time which wasn't on so you can listen back on the Player.

Well actually my serious young man the Marty Show is very popular for the fun and jokes as well as for the music. Lots of people were on today to say how much they missed Mart last week and not all of them could be put on air.
    But Marty was on so he would have accounted for the bulk of them.
    And I believe the show is put on in a lot of hospitals, jails, psychiatric hospitals,
    Cruel and unusual punishment for those suffering and incarcerated.
    bed and breakfasts, guesthouses, doctor's surgeries, cafes, hotel dining rooms and places like that
    So the numbers for the show are being cooked - like that famous Sindo claim of having million readers while only selling a few hundred thousand copies?
    Mart had a good one today about that electric toilet in Japan that answers the mobile phone but where every toilet has the same number.
    So Marty gets something wrong again - it was a default password consisting of zeroes. But then he's just a DJ rather than a technologist. Toilet humour on Lyric FM - and to think that the station once had standards. :)

Regards...jmcc

And I believe the show is put on in a lot of hospitals, jails, psychiatric hospitals, bed and breakfasts, guesthouses, doctor's surgeries, cafes, hotel dining rooms and places like that...... .

Of that I have no doubt.

On a serious aside to that point, the people who pipe Lyric through their systems think that they are providing some laid-back, classical music with minimal voice interruption by the presenter to patients and others who hardly need the rambling inanities of a pop station d.j. - i.e. the kind of claptrap available practically everywhere else on the dial.

But instead our mental intitutions are bombarded by a man who not alone never ceases to be fascinated by the sound of his own voice, but also the imaginary "letters" allegedly sent in by his imaginary friends, among them a strange man with a manic family life which revolves around Martyworld.....an Admiral of the British Empire (or something similar)...and belatedly, a talking cat. Not to mention vintage humour, tiresome double enterdes with the road-traffic girl, Peter Sellars repeats and a musical choice, well, enough has been said here about that!

Maybe they should relay the reaction to MITM from the hospitals back to studio.

europa11 wrote: »
    Of that I have no doubt.

On a serious aside to that point, the people who pipe Lyric through their systems think that they are providing some laid-back, classical music with minimal voice interruption by the presenter to patients and others who hardly need the rambling inanities of a pop station d.j. - i.e. the kind of claptrap available practically everywhere else on the dial.

But instead our mental intitutions are bombarded by a man who not alone never ceases to be fascinated by the sound of his own voice, but also the imaginary "letters" allegedly sent in by his imaginary friends, among them a strange man with a manic family life which revolves around Martyworld.....an Admiral of the British Empire (or something similar)...and belatedly, a talking cat. Not to mention vintage humour, tiresome double enterdes with the road-traffic girl, Peter Sellars repeats and a musical choice, well, enough has been said here about that!

Maybe they should relay the reaction to MITM from the hospitals back to studio.

Well I for One have never heard anything like Hugo Time anywhere else on radio. I think Marty should go "on the road" with it like Eamon Morrissey did with The Brother. Someone else suggested Mart should go on a world tour with it but I think it's a bit Irish except maybe in America. :pac:

The cat hasn't been heard of in a while but I'll never forget the story Marty read from the cat about the chicken breast. I can't remember the punchline but it was very good! The Brigadier is super too the way the last line is a punchline that works with the earlier part of the story. He had one about Bono paying for somebodies dinner in a restaurant a while back that was hilarious. :D

You say it's claptrap but I and thousands and thousands of others think its out on its own and it's the very best claptrap on radio.

The only thing I can say about double entendres is that I can't even spell them! ;)

So - more Hugo Time - more of the Brigadier - and more of Marty's cat! As he said himself "I taught I taw a puddy cat!" :)

Well I for One have never heard anything like Hugo Time anywhere else on radio.
    Well the scenes with Lieutenant Steven Hauk in 'Good Morning Vietnam' are probably quite close. :)
    The cat hasn't been heard of in a while
    It will probably bounce back right before the show is cancelled. :)
    You say it's claptrap but I and thousands and thousands of others think its out on its own and it's the very best claptrap on radio.
    The "very best claptrap on radio"? But it is still claptrap and it should be on some talk radio station where such claptrap is appreciated.
    So - more Hugo Time - more of the Brigadier - and more of Marty's cat! As he said himself "I taught I taw a puddy cat!" :)
    So you are saying that Marty is behind all these characters?

Regards...jmcc

Well the scenes with Lieutenant Steven Hauk in 'Good Morning Vietnam' are probably quite close. :)

It will probably bounce back right before the show is cancelled. :)

The "very best claptrap on radio"? But it is still claptrap and it should be on some talk radio station where such claptrap is appreciated.

So you are saying that Marty is behind all these characters?

Regards...jmcc

Yes, jmcc I think the cat is finally coming out of the bag. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

This guy claims to write the Hugo stuff:
    https://twitter.com/HugoBeB

Not sure if it's a real account.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Heard this show this morning when flicking around and heard Marty "I want to be on BBC Radio 2" or "I want to turn Lyric into BBC 2" play "To Whom It Concerns" and "Volare".

Not bad songs, just not Lyric, IMO.

As I said before, (RTE) Easy FM - a new channel aping BBC 2 and move Marty, Ronan, John Creedon, Larry Gogan and possibly Tubridy now that he knows how it's done. Not a bad lineup actually when I think about it, for that kind of station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Only the snobs want to be listening to Gilbert and Sullivan and Bach at their breakfast all the time. Volare!

Good one ;)
    Slipped in there beside Bach ! :)
    Neatly done. Very drole :pac:
    ROFL :D
    As if even Lyric's audience could sink so low as to consider Sullivan music for snobs :D
    ROTFLMAO :)

Felt sorry for it when no one else thanked or acknowledge this little burl.

• Advertisement

Almaviva wrote: »
    Good one ;)
    Slipped in there beside Bach ! :)
    Neatly done. Very drole :pac:
    ROFL :D
    As if even Lyric's audience could sink so low as to consider Sullivan music for snobs :D
    ROTFLMAO :)

Felt sorry for it when no one else thanked or acknowledge this little burl.

Actually our favourite burl is Burl Ives singing "The Ugly Bug Ball." ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement