Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭jmcc

You just don't seem to get it! Marty should just go back to the 2FM antiques roadshow because he just doesn't fit in on a Classical station. He is a tediously boring individual to those of us who just want to listen to good Classical music. He is the kind of crashing bore who thinks that everyone wants to listen to him. We don't! We just want to listen to good music. Not Country and Western. Not Pop music. Just Classical.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

jmcc wrote: »
    You just don't seem to get it! Marty should just go back to the 2FM antiques roadshow because he just doesn't fit in on a Classical station. He is a tediously boring individual to those of us who just want to listen to good Classical music. He is the kind of crashing bore who thinks that everyone wants to listen to him. We don't! We just want to listen to good music. Not Country and Western. Not Pop music. Just Classical.

Regards...jmcc

Well all I have to say to you young man is that if you think that you're just wrong and you've never seen the crowd laughing at Winning Streak or the Afternoon Show with the lovely Mary Kennedy or even - going back a bit now, on radio - Wheelin Home with Marty. He's like a raconteour at an event the way he just gets the giggles flowing which is what getting up on a winter's morning is all about. :)

And we all like lots of different music. As my husband says if you say you like only classical you don't know anything about music!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    Well all I have to say to you young man is that if you think that you're just wrong and you've never seen the crowd laughing at Winning Streak or the Afternoon Show with the lovely Mary Kennedy or even - going back a bit now, on radio - Wheelin Home with Marty. He's like a raconteour at an event the way he just gets the giggles flowing which is what getting up on a winter's morning is all about. :)

And we all like lots of different music. As my husband says if you say you like only classical you don't know anything about music!

Well that's that settled, if your husband said it it has to be true. I'll take my musical advice from people who don't consider Red Hurely talented if you don't mind.

Well all I have to say to you young man is that if you think that you're just wrong and you've never seen the crowd laughing at Winning Streak or the Afternoon Show with the lovely Mary Kennedy or even - going back a bit now, on radio - Wheelin Home with Marty.
    The shows where stagehands hold up cuecards for the audience to tell them when to applaud and when to laugh?
    He's like a raconteour at an event the way he just gets the giggles flowing which is what getting up on a winter's morning is all about.
    Fine - send him to talk radio where he belongs because he doesn't belong on LyricFM. It is the first of August today so you may have to readjust some of your Martydom material.
    We used to listen to LyricFM for Classical music. That simple point is obviously being ignored. But some moronic decisions by RTE management have mangled the station. And it has lost nearly 30% of its audience in the last two years.

Regards...jmcc

He's like a raconteour at an event the way he just gets the giggles flowing
    Perhaps that is the problem in a nutshell. He is like an MC at an event. However rather than letting the various acts perform, he assumes that the audience is only there to see him and the acts are of secondary importance.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

pconn062 wrote: »
    Well that's that settled, if your husband said it it has to be true. I'll take my musical advice from people who don't consider Red Hurely talented if you don't mind.
    There is a bit of a sneer in that. If my husband comes on here he would wipe the floor with anyone. If you think I know nothing about music with yeer snobbery ye should hear my husband. I might put him on actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

There is a bit of a sneer in that. If my husband comes on here he would wipe the floor with anyone. If you think I know nothing about music with yeer snobbery ye should hear my husband. I might put him on actually.

Please, that type of talk is so uncouth.

This is getting silly. People have closed minds some of them I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

This is getting silly. People have closed minds some of them I think.

Pots and kettles spring to mind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

If you think I know nothing about music.. ye should hear my husband.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

...... ye should hear my husband. I might put him on actually.

:D
    As long as his name isn't Marty (or Hugo) then please do.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭NorthDown2

Saying that lyric figures are up is a joke. Anyone who works in the Radio industry knows that Breakfast is the anchor on the schedule. It's at that time you should be getting most of your listeners. Look at the figures and you'll see that lyric gradually gains listeners during the day. I don't think this happens in any other national station in Western World.

As for Northern Listeners enjoying Marty...That's fantastic but you have a real choice. whenever I'm in Northern Ireland I tune into BBC 3 or Classic FM. However 75 percent of the Republic can't receive these stations on Normal radios.

That's a solution I would be happy with, Rebroadcast BBC 3 and Classic FM to the rest of the island and leave Marty were he is.

That's quite interesting that you enjoy BBC Radio 3 and Classic. I've listened to Classic in the past but I think it has a very 'brass' sound about it, suspect it may be the compression they use in sending out their signal. Lyric seems to use strings and not afraid to have quieter pieces. It's doesn't seem as compressed a sound.

I have to say it's Marty that led me into Lyric - quite like Niall after him, Liz is ok, love Blue of the Night. I switch over when John Kelly is on, I think he must be an acquired taste - be interestd to know how the ratings/share for his show are.

I now have the DAB d1 mux which was switched on in NI last week - I've dipped in out of Jazz FM - find a sound there that's similar to Marty's. Which of RTEs stations is the natural home for jazz and music that flows from it - is it Lyric, or is Radio 1 more its home? I see radio 1 as BBC Radio 4 lite with a bit of Jeremy Vine and 5Live stuff in it. I take it most people here haven't a clue where 2fm positions itself - whether to go for 15-30s or be a clone of BBC radio 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Red Hurley & threats from Hugo to bring his husband on. This thread has entered the twilight zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

NorthDown2 wrote: »
    That's quite interesting that you enjoy BBC Radio 3 and Classic. I've listened to Classic in the past but I think it has a very 'brass' sound about it, suspect it may be the compression they use in sending out their signal. Lyric seems to use strings and not afraid to have quieter pieces. It's doesn't seem as compressed a sound.

I have to say it's Marty that led me into Lyric - quite like Niall after him, Liz is ok, love Blue of the Night. I switch over when John Kelly is on, I think he must be an acquired taste - be interestd to know how the ratings/share for his show are.

I now have the DAB d1 mux which was switched on in NI last week - I've dipped in out of Jazz FM - find a sound there that's similar to Marty's. Which of RTEs stations is the natural home for jazz and music that flows from it - is it Lyric, or is Radio 1 more its home? I see radio 1 as BBC Radio 4 lite with a bit of Jeremy Vine and 5Live stuff in it. I take it most people here haven't a clue where 2fm positions itself - whether to go for 15-30s or be a clone of BBC radio 2?

Classic FM is compressed. The pieces from 6am to around 8pm are chosen with the driving audience in mind. Lots of people get a shock when they buy a CD of a favourite piece that they heard on the station. The loud bits are louder, the quiet bits are quieter...

All of lyrics ratings have dipped since Marty arrived. John Kelly seems to have a core listenership of about 20,000 and then it goes up and down but the show has reached 30,000 in the last 12 months. Marty on the other hand has a core of about 15,000 but he doesn't appear to ever have gone hirer than 19,000 and that's being generous.

If John Kelly was on with his mix in the morning it's likely he'd double his figures. Listeners also stay with the station and grow once drivetime begins. It's very unusual to have Drivetime as a much stronger show than Breakfast.

Jazz has no real home on RTE but if it had one it would be Lyric.

2FM is going nowhere fast, it has been the case for years. The sensible option is to move Marty to 2FM, where he would have an audience and would probably grow one. Shift 2FM to the over 35's and forget about the youth market. If there's one station they're not going to listen to it's 2FM.

I will say I don't actually blame Marty for this situation. It's those in charge that need to look at themselves. Lyric should and could get a Market share of 4 to 5 percent if it was overhauled. It would slowly have reached that target if it had been left alone. (would have taken years though!)

2FM is going nowhere fast, it has been the case for years. The sensible option is to move Marty to 2FM, where he would have an audience and would probably grow one.
    The problem was that Marty was on 2FM and managed to lose a considerable chunk of the audience hence he was "moved" to LyricFM.
    Shift 2FM to the over 35's and forget about the youth market. If there's one station they're not going to listen to it's 2FM.
    I think that is what happened by default.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

To be fair to Marty most people over 40 think 2fm is a youth station. They never listened to it when they were younger, Pirates were far more popular when they were in their teens.

The only place you'd hear 2fm when I was much younger was in places where they couldn't pick up any other music station.

If they came out and actually Renamed it as RTE Radio 2 and ran it like BBC Radio 2 they'd find an audience. Yvonne23R pops into my head for some reason. :D

However, it's far more likely that they'll turn Lyric into a hybrid of Classic FM and BBC Radio 2 over the next year or so. I wouldn't be surprised if Ronan Collins makes an appearance at lunchtime when the autumn schedules come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The problem was that Marty was on 2FM and managed to lose a considerable chunk of the audience hence he was "moved" to LyricFM.
    /QUOTE]

I think Marty's number was up on 2FM the day he referred to to BellX1 as 'Bell-Eleven'.

Aidric wrote: »
    Red Hurley & threats from Hugo to bring his husband on. This thread has entered the twilight zone.
    I think this is bad form and very unfair especially coming from someone in Prague.

very unfair especially coming from someone in Prague.
    Well at least Prague is on Planet Earth rather than Planet Martydom. There are people here, the majority of the thread posters, who think that Marty should not be on LyricFM. You may disagree but we think that LyricFM's remit is Classical music rather than talk radio.

Regards...jmcc

Well at least Prague is on Planet Earth rather than Planet Martydom. There are people here, the majority of the thread posters, who think that Marty should not be on LyricFM. You may disagree but we think that LyricFM's remit is Classical music rather than talk radio.

Regards...jmcc
    Frankley young man I pay my TV license and I'm entitled to get tge music most people like

• Advertisement

This thing is causing me problems because its on the phoee. Wait until I get home!

Frankley young man I pay my TV license and I'm entitled to get tge music most people like
    And you do not see the irony of arguing about radio stations? I think the radio licence was abolished in the 1960s. There are stations with music that most people like - they are "pop" music stations. "Pop" is an abbreviation for, strangely enough, 'popular'. And it seems that Marty still can't get over being dumped by one of those pop music stations, 2FM, because he wasn't popular enough. So now he inflicts his banter and music choices on those of us who prefer Classical music and not talk radio. Well he wasn't on LyricFM this morning or yesterday so we should be grateful for small mercies. Perhaps the RTE management, in their finite wisdom, will move him to 2FM or even RTE1 where his banter and wit can amuse those who like that sort of thing.

I was going to reply with a 'Gone With The Wind' quote. :)

Regards...jmcc

Tomorrow is another day sonny. And so is tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Ever been to the statni opera or narodni divadlo in Prague Hugo? Both bastions of classical music and opera. It might be too highbrow for 'Mart' lovers though.

Tomorrow is another day sonny. And so is tonight.
    In the Artic, perhaps? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

There was once a show entitled Mart & Market on RTE Television. Maybe a revival is due so that Mart and his appropriate Market can be properly identified.

NorthDown2 wrote: »

It is nice to see a person with a fair attitude here who is a rock of sense. Actually I think BBC @ is a great radio station and we sometimes put it on through the TV during the daytime! Yes I'd love one of them from RTE.

And Marty would be superb on that. He is like a bridge carrying people over and back between all kinds of music. Mind you I find John Kelly very hard going a lot of the time. He is a bit dark somehow and maybe more for the night. He sometimes puts on really really heavy classical stuff without warning and you have to switch off.

Ever been to the statni opera or narodni divadlo in Prague Hugo? Both bastions of classical music and opera. It might be too highbrow for 'Mart' lovers though.

I'm a bit sick of being called Hugo here. If Hugo isn't Mart himself he's some other very good writer. I wish I could do that. He reminds me of Eamon Morrissey doing The Brother like that. Actually Marty might be able to do a One-Man-Show of Hugo if he wanted to go on the road with it. It would be a huge hit I think. And not having Hugo today made a big hole in everyone's day I can tell you.

I haven't been to Prague ever so I don't know what you're on about. I have heard about the music there and ice skating. The show is coming from Venice and Verona next week. Mart is over already doing ground work for it and getting his feet.

To be fair to Marty most people over 40 think 2fm is a youth station. They never listened to it when they were younger, Pirates were far more popular when they were in their teens.

The only place you'd hear 2fm when I was much younger was in places where they couldn't pick up any other music station.

If they came out and actually Renamed it as RTE Radio 2 and ran it like BBC Radio 2 they'd find an audience. Yvonne23R pops into my head for some reason. :D

However, it's far more likely that they'll turn Lyric into a hybrid of Classic FM and BBC Radio 2 over the next year or so. I wouldn't be surprised if Ronan Collins makes an appearance at lunchtime when the autumn schedules come out.

I like Ronan Collins. He is like a ligh version of the Marty Whelan Show. But the music is good. And he gets to sleep late so I suppose Mart might like that slit.

• Advertisement

That's a shameful thing to accuse anyone of!
    You should be ashamed of yourself! :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement