Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭jmcc

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    I know you won't take this the wrong way but you've got it bad against poor Marty whose only giving people what they want.
    Well as Almaviva pointed out above, we are the people and we don't particularly want Marty.
    Whay shouldn't we have enjoyable music in the morning with sensible musical chats as well as the Brahms and Beethoven and Bach that the small crowd of the rich pensioners want to listen to all day.
    A friend of the Working Classes is the bould Marty? Another gilded RTE pensioner patronising the masses? Classical music may have some associated stereotypes but a lot of those who listen to Classical are neither rich nor pensioners. If I wanted to listen to talk radio then I'd listen to a talk radio station.
    But without recipes - that's just silly on a music show.
    So Marty is going to be giving his ever dwindling number of listeners cookery tips now?
    I think the Marty Whelan Show is like morning tv on the radio it's that good and lively. But you won't agree I know. :confused:
    Ever watch "The Big Bang Theory" on TV? Now you may think that Marty is some kind of Sheldon Cooper but in reality Marty is more like Penny's ex-boyfriend, Zach. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,801 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Almaviva wrote: »
    How is Marty giving people what they want if they keep saying they dont want what he is giving ?

This! With bells on!!!

Now I'm one of the most gullible ever, will fall for the most obvious bull**** usually - but seriously, this has to be one of the most blatant troll-led threads EVER on boards.ie.

No??? :confused:

ETA - if not the most blatant, certainly the longest-lasting!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    This! With bells on!!!

Now I'm one of the most gullible ever, will fall for the most obvious bull**** usually - but seriously, this has to be one of the most blatant troll-led threads EVER on boards.ie.

No??? :confused:

ETA - if not the most blatant, certainly the longest-lasting!

It's also one of the most entertaining threads though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭hawley

I know you won't take this the wrong way but you've got it bad against poor Marty whose only giving people what they want. I think the Marty Whelan Show is like morning tv on the radio it's that good and lively. But you won't agree I know. :confused:

fkL0f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

What can I say to that but I am shocked. That is obviously something old from long ago and Beyond The Pale! :(

I think a boy would have to keep a picture like that hidden from the Mammy. The creases and folds on it say something more about mental age and the strange interests of the boy who did that than he might realise himself to be cutting a thing like that out of the paper. I know what you're at with that. Maybe you had to keep it folded up like that in your prayerbook all these years? What? :p

Mart was the Special Guest Star in Fair City this year I know but its sticking out a mile that picture is old as you can see from the suit. What kind of a person would have held onto it?

He was building up the excitement about Renee Fleming tonight this morning. I was hoping he might have raffled off a few tickets for the show but he didn't. I suppose they're too dear now. He had her on singing but I suppose the interview will be in the morning. They might record it in the National Concerthall if she gets a chance before Marty goes Whelan home! :D But it would be good if she comes into Radio Centre tomorrow so that we can all see her and get a snap for the Wall on FaceBook. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    this has to be one of the most blatant troll-led threads EVER on boards.ie.

Take care. I got a ban from this thread recently for a similar suggestion. Mods are happy that everything is kosher. Still reckon its a thread Mart would rather see closed than engaging in After Hours style knockabout posting opening some people's eyes to his 'fit' with Lyric being one of the all-time media mismatches.

I can't believe that Marty is only 57. I thought that he was well into his sixties.

hawley wrote: »
    I can't believe that Marty is only 57. I thought that he was well into his sixties.

He is very younglooking and distinguished I know.

He was born on 1 June 1956. He said a while back that he is never going to retire because he loves the work which isn't like work at all. Larry went on for a long time. And Dickie Rock is still at it on the road. In the business if you're careful with the voice or what Marty sometimes calls his instrument you can go on nearly forever. You can read a lot more about Mart here on wikipedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Whelan

Tonight he will be in his dickie bow and tux down at the National Concerthall with Renee for her gig but he will be on in the morning and we hope the interview will be canned by then.

He is very younglooking and distinguished I know.
    Balding with grey hair? Perhaps the theory in RTE management was that since he looks so old he must know about Classic music and therefore he could be dumped in LyricFM as he is too old for the 2FM antiques roadshow? That poll is running 7:3 against Marty.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

deleted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

deleted again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

jmcc wrote: »
    A friend of the Working Classes is the bould Marty? Another gilded RTE pensioner patronising the masses?

His tache is blessed by Frances of Assisi.

Aidric wrote: »
    His tache is blessed by Frances of Assisi.
    Patron saint of small animals, I believe. :)

Regards...jmcc

Mart has a photo up on his twitter page. Now at first look I thought it must have been taken some time ago as Reneey is so youthful looking but it's actually a recent photo of her with Mart and not a photo of her with Sir Georg Solti as I had originally thought.

793415320.jpg?1374654163

I missed the show this morning. :o I like the photograph.:) They look pleased to be in each others company. Renee is a lovely young woman and she gives great value. I am going to listen back to the show tonight. What time was she on so that I don't have to listen to it all? :confused:

Some bitter person before said something about the listening figures coming out today. We heard nothing since today so that must mean that the Marty Show listeners are up. :P Just goes to show I suppose they are willing to bash but not to praise where credit is due. I wish I wish I had been there last night with Renee and Marty in the Concerthall. Still he might broadcast the concert later in his show. I thought he was meant to be in Verona and Venice this week doing the programmes about Verdi and Vivaldi the Red priest (Il Prete Rosso) - he definitely said it was going to be in July and it must be too hot for him in August. Can anyone shed on this? :confused:
    Mart has a photo up on his twitter page. Now at first look I thought it must have been taken some time ago as Reneey is so youthful looking but it's actually a recent photo of her with Mart and not a photo of her with Sir Georg Solti as I had originally thought.

793415320.jpg?1374654163

I missed the show this morning. :o I like the photograph.:) They look pleased to be in each others company. Renee is a lovely young woman and she gives great value. I am going to listen back to the show tonight. What time was she on so that I don't have to listen to it all? :confused:

Some bitter person before said something about the listening figures coming out today. We heard nothing since today so that must mean that the Marty Show listeners are up. :P Just goes to show I suppose they are willing to bash but not to praise where credit is due. I wish I wish I had been there last night with Renee and Marty in the Concerthall. Still he might broadcast the concert later in his show. I thought he was meant to be in Verona and Venice this week doing the programmes about Verdi and Vivaldi the Red priest (Il Prete Rosso) - he definitely said it was going to be in July and it must be too hot for him in August. Can anyone shed on this? :confused:

With Marty's big red head in that photo maybe he should be called Il Prete Rosso. With an Ennio album in one hand and a ticket to Reneey in the other he marches forth to convert the nation to the light classical. And with Neven's noggin in studio, it really must be a sight to behold, I just worry that Neven might mistake Marty's head for that of a pig's and end up cooking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

:pac: ^^^^

Would have thought Marty would have applied some Glow-tan or one of those Agent Orange effects so beloved of the more (ahem!) discerning young wans of Ireland before posing for that pic.

Photoshop lessons on fake tans might come in handy if he ever decides to move on from faking it as a Classical Music presenter.

Must say Renee looks well for all that :)

With Marty's big red head in that photo maybe he should be called Il Prete Rosso. With an Ennio album in one hand and a ticket to Reneey in the other he marches forth to convert the nation to the light classical. And with Neven's noggin in studio, it really must be a sight to behold, I just worry that Neven might mistake Marty's head for that of a pig's and end up cooking it.

I don't agree with Hawley about this. Marty holds his own against all comers even Renee and he's able to get the very best out of her. I don't agree with giving out recipes on the music programme but I don't think it is fair to say that anyone has a pig's head even Neven or Marty. Is there any check on the agegroup of youngsters who are allowed to put up these scurullous claims here because if they aren't there should be. :mad:

And Vivaldi (young man), was named Il Prete Rosso because of the colour of his cloaks and not because of the colour of his face! :D He was around in Venice in olden times when men could wear any colour they wanted and he wrote operas and The Four Seasons concertos for Venice when it was the European Capital City of Colour and Carnivals. We were there years ago in St Marks and in the other place. Marty and the listeners will know all about this when they do Venice as the tagon to the celebrity trip to Verona that's on the cards shortly. It would be funny mind if Mart appears in the Christmas TV Special dressed in Red to be like his hero! :) That would be something else! I wouldn't put it past him. He's a great joker on TV as well as on radio! :D

All we have now to look forward to is Ennio on Saturday. I think Mart is going on Saturday. We might meet him there. :)

And Vivaldi (young man), was named Il Prete Rosso because of the colour of his cloaks and not because of the colour of his face!
    Another one of Marty's facts? I thought that Vivaldi was called the Red Priest because of his red hair.

Regards...jmcc

It would be funny mind if Mart appears in the Christmas TV Special dressed in Red to be like his hero! :)
    Santa Claus? Well he has the white hair and he can let his beard grow over the next few months. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Another one of Marty's facts? I thought that Vivaldi was called the Red Priest because of his red hair.

Regards...jmcc

Well, let's be nice about it. At least he's trying :rolleyes:.......and very trying at that!

I'm sure back in his flared trousers and wide-collared shirt days he would have thought Vivaldi was either a hair colourant (and still may :D ) or a brand of that new-fangled Bolognese sauce to pour over Mart's meatballs and tinned spaghetti.

Then again, if made aware of the real facts he may begin to confuse Vivaldi with David Bowie. With further dire consequences to the morning playlist.

Lyric management incompetence backed up by the data. Delighted for them.

JNLR:

"Lyric, which was the worst performing station on the national stage, dropped 16,000 or 12%." Q1 2013

"In percentage terms Lyric took the biggest tumble back 17% or 23,000 listeners." Q2 2013

Maybe they are spending too much time on boards.ie.

Presumably sacking of both management and 'stars' is imminent, being a state sponsored body and all.

Regards...jmcc

It was indeed because of his red hair. As was Vivaldi's father who was known as 'Rossi'.

Be careful where you learn your facts Lyric fans...

Vivaldi is Mart's hero I guess because he can name two of his great works, 'Allegro' (he really loves that one), and 'Adagio' (sooooo relaxing).
    Oh, and Spring. Crikey, that's three pieces. If he could hunt down a copy of Largo (yes, theres another one apart from the one Handel wrote!) he could regard himself as something of a world authority on the 'Red Faced' Priest !

It was indeed because of his red hair. As was Vivaldi's father who was known as 'Rossi'.

Be careful where you learn your facts Lyric fans...

Vivaldi is Mart's hero I guess because he can name two of his great works, 'Allegro' (he really loves that one), and 'Adagio' (sooooo relaxing).
    Oh, and Spring. Crikey, that's three pieces. If he could hunt down a copy of Largo (yes, theres another one apart from the one Handel wrote!) he could regard himself as something of a world authority on the 'Red Faced' Priest !

I am listening back to Marty's Show from this morning now which is something I hate doing because the time he gives out confuses me even though I know it isn't the morning. It puts my body-clock out. I'm looking for the interveiw with Renee Fleming that he did.

I have looked on at the music he played later this morning and I see he did a bit of Ennio Morricone. One of them is sung by the Haley Westenra, the great New Zealand soprano. He made the Irish career of Katherine Jenkins and I think he might be the one to make an Irish star of this Kiwi. She might be the new Nelly Melba in Ireland at least.

http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/marty-in-the-morning/

Here anyway is the list of the music you can hear on the website and it is a good well-balanced diet of the heavy stuff with some more popular favorites thrown in to lighten the mixture. No wonder he can hit every kind of listener. And this is just from one day! I'm up as far as What a Difference a Day makes already. :)

Lyric management incompetence backed up by the data. Delighted for them.

JNLR:

"Lyric, which was the worst performing station on the national stage, dropped 16,000 or 12%." Q1 2013

"In percentage terms Lyric took the biggest tumble back 17% or 23,000 listeners." Q2 2013

Maybe they are spending too much time on boards.ie.

Presumably sacking of both management and 'stars' is imminent, being a state sponsored body and all.

Just looking at the figures year on year Marty is up by 6% while the other shows have dropped by staggering amounts. For the Drivetime slot to drop by 30% in one year is a disaster. I think that while Marty has brought in new listeners to lyric, these people will not continue to listen throughout the day whist from anecdotal evidence having Mart on in the morning has driven away previously loyal listeners from the station ie. people who listened to every programme on Lyric. I know many people have removed Lyric fm from the presets in their cars.

http://www.ilevel.ie/media-blog/radio/jnlr-2013-2-station-programmes

Just looking at the figures year on year Marty is up by 6% while the other shows have dropped by staggering amounts.
    In any real organisation, the management would be fired given these numbers.
    For the Drivetime slot to drop by 30% in one year is a disaster.
    Definitely not a good result. However given the LyricFM's smaller audience, any changes might be amplified.
    I think that while Marty has brought in new listeners to lyric, these people will not continue to listen throughout the day whist from anecdotal evidence having Mart on in the morning has driven away previously loyal listeners from the station ie. people who listened to every programme on Lyric. I know many people have removed Lyric fm from the presets in their cars.
    There's a corresponding drop in the Tubridy figures. Perhaps the gains are from those people who got fed up listening to Turbridy and switched to a more competent DJ? Of course the smart move for RTE would be to dump Tubridy and shove Marty back in that slot. But RTE invested too much in making that non-entity famous to ever drop him.

The bigger problem for LyricFM where Marty is concerned is that the show's demographic may be changing rapidly. Has Tesco started sponsoring his show yet?

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I think they need to move to the style of presenter like Marty. I'd be all in favour of it. Nowadays you don't have to be an expert in the genre of music you broadcast.

I know many people have removed Lyric fm from the presets in their cars.

I was one.

And it is where Lyric managment got it really wrong losing any sense of consistent branding. You cannot market yourself as both Quality and Crap at the same time. John Kelly was athe thin edge of the wedge, but outside my listening hours and tolerable as an exception. Gaybo's guest stints and George Hamilton a further erosion. Mart's schtick the torpedo that finally sank the ship.
    And so people leave the station completely rather than be insulted by more garbage.

Tuning out your car radio preset is a satisfying step. Join the 'Erase Your Lyric Preset Now' campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

bbability wrote: »
    I think they need to move to the style of presenter like Marty. I'd be all in favour of it. Nowadays you don't have to be an expert in the genre of music you broadcast.

Yeah I wonder are the hardcore classical buffs getting into streaming downloading, foreign digital stations etc., and leaving Lyric behind forever. Maybe the only future for Lyric is to focus on the easy listening/ crossover/movie themes side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I wish we had tickets for Renee Fleming too but they were gone very fast and were dearer too. We'd have had to pay for them.

You're clearly not au fait with typical operatic performance prices. Royal opera house, where Renee will say farewell to London in Rosenkavalier in 2014 is typically 10-200 uk pounds a seat (25 if you want to actually see anything), the Met ranges from 20 bucks to around 440 dollars (again 100 dollars if you want to see a face rather than top of a wig). The NCH prices are a snip compared to gala pricing on bigger stages. It's rare to see more than 100 euro on a Ticket price there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement