Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

europa11 wrote: »
    Absolutely correct. :D

Marty having the worst taste in the world! That is bit harsh Yvonne. Just a bit. But harsh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Marty Whelan is the poor man's Terry Wogan and a pretty poor version at that. He shamelessly apes his idol (?), right down to actual phrases and speech affectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

Very funny! :D

But seriously Marty Whelan is like an Irish version of Terry Wogan really and that isn't a bad thing. All God's Creatures have a Place in the Choir.

He had a great Irish mezzo on yesterday as his guest and I thought that would shut up some of the criticism but no it didn't. I think he can't do anything right for some people. Either he's too funny or he's too heavy or he's too light or he's too MOR.

But Ronan Gilligan went too far today with some of his jokes. He isn't able to tell them the way Marty does and they are sometimes off colour. Like today.

Can't have everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Yvonne23R wrote: »

Can't have everything.

I don't want everthing. I just want Marty to leave Lyric. How about this for a plan. Marty and Derek Mooney do a swap. With a little training from the right quarter the moon man would probably make quite a decent Lyric style presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Very funny! :D

But seriously Marty Whelan is like an Irish version of Terry Wogan really ........
    Can't have everything.

Don't want to seem pedantic in the least here Yvonne, but you are aware that Terry Wogan is actually Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

I think he can't do anything right for some people. Either he's too funny or he's too heavy or he's too light or he's too MOR.

He's none of these things, he is just so completely unsuitable for Lyric.

And why is he having these long rambling badly briefed interviews between 9 and 10 for anyway?

Miriam is talking (God help us)
    Tubridy is talking Again, (God help us)
    Newstalk is talking
    Ray Darcy is talking and trying to hit the right buttons in front of him.

Can we just have informed musical presentation from Lyric?
    And not informed presentation on 'My Old Man's a Dustman' or 'Goodness Gracious me'.
    Is that too much to ask?
    Seriously, it's getting to the point now when an angry mob with lighted torches and pitchforks should make for Montrose and tear the place apart brick by brick.
    Time to declare Year Zero and start again for all RTE Radio networks.

I know what you mean about Terry Wogan but I think he only was Irish. He was made a Sir and this means he's English now. What I meant is that Marty Whelan is like an Irish version of him made for the Irish palette.

Derek Mooney is probably a bit young for Lyric I'd say but he is good. He's a bit on the light side for the station and the listeners. He is good at what he does though.

I don't understand what you mean by This:
    "Can we just have informed musical presentation from Lyric?"
    :confused:

But Ray Darcy isn't even on Lyric!!! :confused:

The interviews are good really for letting us see behind the scenes behind a singer who is coming up to a concert. And he had made the career for Vladimir the violin virtuoso who is a big hit now.

I think some people can't be pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

I meant that there are talk shows on all national networks during the 9-10am hour and surely Lyric was meant to be an exception to that.

We had another round of self-promotion from two of these people this morning (not the nice lady), paid for by the licence-fee.
    NevenMaguirewithMaryKennedyandMartyWhelan1.JPG

Photo courtesy of www.purcellmasterson.com.
    If you have something you'd like to hoor on MITM, all things are possible for those in the know.
    You must be represented by them by now Hugo/Yvonne?

:( I've just come in from the golf Open after a lovely day and I am really disappointed by this comment. It is uncalled for. That is terrible language to use about three people who are only doing their best. See - I'm defending Neven Maguire now. Actually he was quite good this morning and what he is doing with the new book is for charity and not for himself. So put that in your pipe and put it and smoke it!!:mad:

I am not represnting any one not even Neven Maguire or Marty Whelan. He can look after himself. But it wasn't selfish promotion. They were giving recipes for museli for people to follow for the good of their health. I don't knwo what Mary Kennedy has to do with things. (I like her new book mind you.)

Marty Whelan announced that he is taking a few weeks off now to go to Verona for the opera and that he is turning the programme over to Lorcan while he is away. That will make some of ye happy here I am sure. :mad:

I can take it but sometimes I get very down on the dumps with the kind of ugly things that some people are able to put on paper here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Marty Whelan announced that he is taking a few weeks off now to go to Verona for the opera and that he is turning the programme over to Lorcan while he is away. That will make some of ye happy here I am sure. :mad:

Brilliant news. Yvonne, your best post ever!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Well I think Trish did very well this morning considering. It wasn't Lorcan. Marty Whelan is over making preparations for the live broadcast from the Verona Opera I heard her say.

But I think that comment about "h$$$ing books" is beyond the Pale. I hadn't really realised how un-called-for it was. (And this is even though I don't agree with Neven Maguire being on the programme.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well I think Trish did very well this morning considering. It wasn't Lorcan. Marty Whelan is over making preparations for the live broadcast from the Verona Opera I heard her say.

But I think that comment about "h$$$ing books" is beyond the Pale. I hadn't really realised how un-called-for it was. (And this is even though I don't agree with Neven Maguire being on the programme.)

Considering what exactly? She's a professional broadcaster and a pretty good one at that. You complain about posters giving out about Marty Whelan but then you drop in a very condescending comment about another presenter, a much more knowledgeable and competent presenter at that.

I don't know what you mean. Or what you're complaining about.

I agree that Trish is pretty good and is getting better all the time. But she is still a bit dry for the time of day. She reminds me of Sr Mary Basil in school years ago leading the choral speaking group.

I wasn't condescending. And I think any of them in there can read the booklet that is packed with the CD. Marty is just as knowledgeable in his own area and he has become very good on opera and on classical as time goes on. But that is the difference between him and these new young ones.

I don't know what you mean.
    Or what you're complaining about.
    I wasn't condescending.

Probably not.
    Probably not.
    You were.

But thats what comes from affecting to see the world through Marty tinted glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

I think Trish said yesterday that she was in for the week. So far so good. The auld 'merican song book and the movie tunes collection were getting the usual thrashing but overall 'twas a vast improvement. Thanks to all concerned. It's a good week to have our morning lyric back with all this depressing abortion banter on all the other stations.

Only a week of Trish :(

Can't someone persuade Mr. Wogan Whelan and his Hugo alter-ego to take the usual RTE 'break' time. He should take a leaf out of Marzie's book and swan off for two or three months. I'm sure we'd get over the loss.

Maybe Tesco could keep him out in Italy (If indeed he has gone to Verona;) ) to do a few voiceovers for a forthcoming Italian Week promotion. Anything.

OK gentlemen. And I see the people criticising other people's tastes are all men funnily enough! ;)

She said he is gone to Verona for two weeks so Trish will be with us for another week after this one it seems. Then Marty will be on doing the opera with the people who won all the tickets to join the tour. Join the JWT Set!!!:cool: As the man said when he ate the egg.

Who is Marzie supposed to be, Europa!?:confused:

And how did you do that with Terry Wogan's name? I don't see how.:confused:

The problem with Trish besides being so dry is that she looks down when she's talking to the camera. Marty always holds himself up and this inflates his diaphragm. We learned this at school and it seems Trish didn't. Maybe she isn't too like Sr Mary Basil so much after all!:)

I got a copy of Neven Maguire's free cookbook this afternoon from one of my friends and it looks good. I don't have a child the age but even so. He has a lovely granola recipe in it that Amelda learned from his mother. We will see if Trish has him on on Friday I suppose.

Marzie = Marian Finucane

For strikethrough text use the "Go Advanced" button below the textbox and it will appear at upper left (with an A struck through symbol) just run over the text you wish to strike and click that button.

As for Trish not holding herself up or indeed being so "dry", well I must confess that when I listen to radio, I have no great inclination to actually see the presenter. tbh, I like her easy going style and no-nonsense, play the music approach.

Others like yourself Yvonne, may prefer the flirting with roadwatch girls, jackass joking with sports presenters and finger drumming along with some very dubious "classics" and Bond themes. I guess to each their own.

The thought of watching Marty's inflated diaghphram and even more inflated ego is incentive enough for me to never "watch" radio.

Trish has finished her time spell on Marty Whelan's show today and I have to give her marks for doing music all the way. Neven has moved to where he belongs which is in a special food cookery show that is on Lyric now. Good!!! :pac:

Whatever you say Marty Whelan is a fine figure of a man and is Fashionable Man about Town 2013 from Louis Copeland. You don't lick that off a stone I can tell you. :P He would look good on TV from the radio.

She did well this week but nothing happened when I was listening that made me jump for joy the way he can. Even the comps were a bit dry. And the AA Roadshow parts were even drab and they're a highlight. Marty must have taken Hugo Time and the Major General OBE away with him to Italy because she didn't have them either. And none of the listenership were calling in with their jokes. If you didn't wake up she would put you back to sleep. Which is a pity because some of the music was suitable. :) I like the Lion King for the children. And she gave us a bit of the old Andre Rieu this morning too. It keeps it light. :o

I don't think I have ever heard Marty Whelan interviewing Marian Finucane on his show on radio. :eek: Maybe you meant in the TV show that he had with Mary Kennedy in the afternoons. I think Marty would like to be doing that still.:rolleyes:

I think she said that Lorcan Murray is taking over on Monday while Marty stays away in Verona with the listeners. They are going to have a Christmas Special on TV about the trip. Maybe they will have a call up programme next week where he can talk to Lorcan from the opera there. The tour is going to Venice as well. It must be a dream for the lucky ones who won tickets. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coleyoscar

Really enjoyed the last week with Trish on the Breakfast Show. Reminded me of what Lyric used to be like when it was good. Yvonne23R, continuing her PR campaign for Marty Whelan, makes one good point. Marty's 'banter' with the AA Roadwatch girls is indeed a 'highlight': says it all really.

• Advertisement

Coleyoscar wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the last week with Trish on the Breakfast Show. Reminded me of what Lyric used to be like when it was good. Yvonne23R, continuing her PR campaign for Marty Whelan, makes one good point. Marty's 'banter' with the AA Roadwatch girls is indeed a 'highlight': says it all really.

Funny! :rolleyes: Ha! Ha!

I have no PR campaign for Marty Whelan, :mad: although like most people I like him a lot on radio and TV. :) Trish has done quite well in the past week in her own way but things will get back a bit closer to normal tomorrow because Lorcan Murray will be hosting. He could be able to get a rise out of Ronan or Rebecca I'd say! :P And maybe he will have Hugo and the Major General on tomorrow.

We are getting near Verona time with Marty who will be presenting the show from the arena in the mornign after the opera. And he says he will be doing a special from Venice the next day with the tour people on Vivaldi the Red Priest with Katherine Jenkins doing a special spot down the line from Wales. That's the following week when he is back in his harness.

Trish has finished her time spell on Marty Whelan's show today.....
    She did well this week but nothing happened ...And the AA Roadshow parts were even drab and they're a highlight.

Traffic reports - a highlight! :confused: ..are you serious?

Marty must have taken Hugo Time and the Major General OBE away with him to Italy because she didn't have them either.

Well, it's kind of hard to physically separate the various entities that seem to inhabite the mind of Marty, so he might indeed have "brought them along", I'm sure they're busy scribbling notes to "Mart" for the inevitable return to the airwaves.

They are going to have a Christmas Special on TV about the trip. Maybe they will have a call up programme next week where he can talk to Lorcan from the opera there. The tour is going to Venice as well. It must be a dream for the lucky ones who won tickets. :cool:

Let's just hope that Christmas spectacular:eek: isn't aired on the one day in that holiday period when the pubs are closed. Why would Lorcan Murray try to engage Marty in talk of opera from Verona when it would be most likely that the discussion would quickly descend into chatter about the weather, the city's restaurants and famous buildings and some possible connection or other to the two Italians that Marty seems to have any knowledge of; Sophia Loren and Ennio Morricone.

in any case Marty is I presume on holiday. Crass thing to be calling work while on a break don't you think?

As for Venice being a dream destination, not at this time of the year I can assure you, but good luck to those who are there. Hope they like crowds. Must be even fuller now than normally in July with the multi-personed one there too. Kind Regards to the Admiral and Hugo and whoever else is in there.:rolleyes:

I'm tired and it's hot but anyway. He doesn't just like Ennio. He loves Nina Rota and Einaudi too. He has interviewed Einaudi on the show. :P

He has also interviewed Leslie Garrett, Katherine Jenking, Haley Westenra and even Lloyd-Weber, the brother of the famous one who was touring Ireland with his cello a couple of times. And he has Cara O'Sullivan in and the other greats of the Irish music world. He gives more publicity to them that their agent could if they had one. Also Regina Nathan and the other one who gives great value laughing all the time. And he had on once people who knew Veronica Dunne who trained Bernadette Greevy and everyone else. My sister knew Ronnie when she took singing lessons and she says that she would like Marty Whelan because he is full of fun like she is herself. :)

And he likes the film stars too witness how he has such fun with Rebecca from AA Roadshow over Gregory Pecker which she once made a mistake calling Gregory Peck!!! :D That one has gone around the world and it keeps coming up! :rolleyes:

What else? Well the TV Xmas Special will be heartwarming over Christmas when we are remembering Morecambe and Wise and the great days when we had Perry Como for Christmas. I - for one!! - will really look forward to nearly being there in Venice and Verona with Mart. Venice is where the Red Priest comes from -- Il Prete Rossi -- which is what they called Vivaldi in his time because he wore red cloaks. :o

The traffic today with Lorcan wasn't so good Ronan was calling in on a phoneline because the other connection went wallop on them. :(

Lorcan is good enough but he somehow doesn't have Marty's sparkle and spangle and vavavoom!! :pac: But he will do for now and he'll make us more thankful for when the master of the mike comes back on Monday coming. Lorcan should be able to get in a few funny stories and jokes out of the listeners. But maybe the problems they had today meant they were cut off. :mad:

top-ten-vomit-scenes_h_zps892f2662.jpg

Frankley I think that is revolting and childish and should be stopped!!! :mad:

I couldn't write much today in that because of being out and I see nobody has apologised for this. This speaks yards for the kind of people here who will pout up horrible things like this and not take them down. I don't see anybody protesting.:mad:

I am getting to like Lorcan in the morning now. He is getting into his stride and is getting a second wind. He might just not have been used to it on the first day so early. It is a tough old station doing that from so early. He said Mart will be back next week which will be something to look forward to.:) But I appeal to you to take away if you can that dreadful picture. :( It isn't funny and it shows you up and what you came from. What would your mother say to it if she saw it? What? :eek:

........and I see nobody has apologised for this...... I don't see anybody protesting.:mad:

Ehm!, you realise that you actually "thanked" the so-called offensive image.

Apologies! Protests! What do you think this is, the Abortion debate thread?

europa11 wrote: »
    Ehm!, you realise that you actually "thanked" the so-called offensive image.

Apologies! Protests! What do you think this is, the Abortion debate thread?

I think ;) europa, that you may be misunderstanding :confused: the target of Yvonne23R's complaint :mad:. I thnk, the 'image' in question, was this one from yourself :p "The thought of watching Marty's inflated diaghphram and even more inflated ego is incentive enough for me to never "watch" radio.". And I would have to agree that the picture it generates in my mind is rather offensive. Then again it could be my cartoon. :confused: But, as you observe both are Thanked :D, so maybe it is neither.:p. I presume then it is some earlier post that Y23R has not thanked.:rolleyes:

Almaviva wrote: »
    ...... I presume then it is some earlier post that Y23R has not thanked.:rolleyes:

Such a post exists? :eek: :D

• Advertisement

Thank you, all. I do that so I know if I have read one of these things so I don't have to bother reading it again. It isn't that I think what any of ye write here is any good, except some. Some people only have obsessions on Marty Whelan which cannot be good and means people don't have a life. Get an iPod if you want Beethoven all day - that's what I say!

Marty Whelan is head-and-shoulders over all the snippers here. And he's the only real star that Lyric have except maybe George Hamilton and he's on only on a Saturday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement