Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    Turning off Marty Whelan now, because Neven is about to erupt into our ears.

But: from what they were chatting about Rebecca and himself I think Marty will be a celebrity guest on the Late Late Show with Ryan Tubridy this evening. I'm going out tonight but I am sure to want to look back at this on the RTE Player. He has such a history Marty WHelan has from the early days on Radio 2 in our time to when he left to join one of the pirates and then when he came back to RTE. I wish he would write a book on how hes been to hell and back radio and TV-wise.

You keep saying things like "our time" or "our age". How do you know what age people are? You should not try to speak for everyone.
    Apart from that. marty Whelan left RTE of his own accord to a new,rival radio station. Century radio. It was not a pirate station. when that went belly up RTE gave him a job again. how is that "been to hell and back"?

Liking classical music is nothing to do with class or money, it's just a different taste and Lyric was a place that catered for those with that taste. Marty Whelan does not cater for those with that different taste. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Simple solution isn't it. Said here time and time again.

Send him off to 2FM. Let Lyric back to what it should be.

Not too many here (including those who have departed of late) would be arsed about following him over either. Of that you can be certain. There he could happily indulge his admirers all morning without the baggage of having to play occasional classical pieces.......or, putting it another way, he could play his own "classics" from the Rolf Harris, Peter Sellers et al stables and blast out Glamrock era crap to his dear little heart's content.

Why who knows, the devoted cadre of the great Disc-jockey, the leg end that is the one, the only Mr. Martin Whelan (respectful enough?) :P might even club together and make "I Love Paris" a number one hit all over again.

Maybe he could do a cover version with the AA Roadwatch girl?.....If the MW impersonator Wogan could do it with "The Floral Dance", so could Mister Martin Whelan, esq..

2FM - home of legends awaits, come on RTE, make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

It wasn't a deliberate mistake. I knew Marty Whelan left RTE and I thought it was to a pirate but now I know it was to Century Radio which was owned by Terry Wogan and Chris de Burgh http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_Radio Nobody can be expected to remember back that far into the pirate era.

He went back then into RTE and worked his passage through Daz ads and things like that and came out on top again which shows he's a trooper! If he was in BBC or ITV he would be having books out every few years. Our own people here should pen their own books as well even if we are a small country.

Most people who listen to the program are parents or older so that is why I say people like us. But there are lots of children who listen to it like we do in the car on the run. So I will be more careful if I submit another reply here to cover everyone.

I think it is unfair to Marty Whelan to say he is playing Glamrock. He does not do so. He plays hits from the musicals,well known songs from the Sinatra era, children and novelty songs for children, light classical stuff and other suitable music for the morning. The Floral Dance was good fun with Terry Wogan actually, and it made a lot of money for charity for it's time I'm sure.

And it is sexists and ageist to refer to the AA people as girls if we're being picky here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I have followed this thread, but I'm not sure who I agree with. I sometimes listen to Lyric in the morning, not so much for the music, but because I don't want to hear quizzes and sports news (that's just me). Everyone has their own reason to listen to Lyric, and I do understand that some people don't want ever to hear anything other than classical music.

If you feel that strongly, get an MP3 player to listen to the music that you like, and then listen to Lyric when it plays what you want to hear, like the rest of us do. I don't listen to any station if they play music I don't want to hear. No station is going to cater for you at all times, unless you run the station yourself.

I have to say that Eden's posting to this board is the most sensible thing I have read in ages. I agree fully with everything. it is good when somebody with a bit of common sense comes along here and shakes us all up! Thanks.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

I have to say that Eden's posting to this board is the most sensible thing I have read in ages. I agree fully with everything. it is good when somebody with a bit of common sense comes along here and shakes us all up! Thanks.:)

Eeden's suggestion overlooks the fact that the issue is not exclusively about the music. People would like a morning radio programme where they can hear agreeable music while getting ready for work and also get brief bulletins on news headlines, weather and traffic. Lyric used to provide that and was a welcome alternative to the discussion-driven morning news programmes or the chatter and pop music of 2FM and the like. And then Whelan came along....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

For me, the answer is I don't have an mp3 player that has an alarm clock on it, and I don't want to use my phone either. I like my (quite recently purchased) DAB radio alarm clock - it doesn't stretch to BBC so I listen to Morning Ireland, unless I hear Marty is off.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thank you for your replies to me. Marty Whelan is interviewing Alfie Boe this week and he is a joy to listen to. I think it's recorded but maybe not. Alfie has recorded opera with Kiri and with Bryn Terfel and still he's down to earth and ordinary. Marty even showed his knowledge today when he said something like - they'll be glad to know that in Glyndebourne! Alfie was saying how much the Great American Song Book is getting more popular and how he is going after it. What is happening is that the musical taste of people is developing in this direction to the crossover music that almost everyone can enjoy from time to time. Country and ukuleles and banjos can be mixed with violins and John Rutter and Karl Jenkins.

Josh Groban was on too this week but I missed that. It really is a credit to Marty Whelan that people of this standard are prepared to come on a show on Lyric which is when everything is said and done a small radio station out in the Atlantic. But these people have respect for him.

(And I didn't hear Alfie mentioning Neven! ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

The Sindo don't like us:
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/declan-lynch-why-i-do-be-listening-to-martys-show-29105475.html
    For those who think that they own lyric fm, this bloody disc-jockey with his "pop" music and his "inane patter" has inexplicably moved into the neighbourhood, lowering the tone. They actually don't know that his tastes are far more sophisticated than theirs, that the "bit of classical" which they endorse is mainly just middle-of-the-road music with a few letters after its name, an unchallenging Classical Hits formula. They don't know that Jimmy Webb is a genius, they don't know that Bob Dylan will be viewed in times to come as Mozart is today, they don't know the greatness of Brian Wilson. They just don't know these things, but Marty does.
    A whole army of strawmen there. And "inane patter" is a quote from users "doomed" and "Almaviva" - you're famous!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

I wish Lyric was a classical music station.Alas, it plays Sinatra,Beatles,Andy Williams.Trad Irish.ethnic music,jazz.....If only we could have a pure classical station like Classic FM over on the mainland.

• Advertisement

There was a good article in the Sunday Independent yesterday about the Marty Whelan show. The critic got the good side of what he does and he showed that he means it. He was talking about Jimmy Webb and Marty played him this morning. I didn't hear any Joni Mitchell today though. But he was remembering Glen Campbell who everyone will remember. It is very sad.

I like too what he was saying about the insane patter of the pop disc jockeys that Marty is so different from. And also how he's so different from Cathal Mac Coille and his talk to Ibec every day. (I don't listen to Morning Ireland unless I miss the News on the other programme.)

That was funny too about what he called "the Hair Crisis" that Marty had when he was in trouble with the studio people on television in Live at Three. He is looking a lot better now on Winning Streak. Mary Kennedy is another fine lady who could give a lot to radio if they put her on. But this journalist had no time for Neven Maguire which is good for my beef with the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

But this journalist had no time for Neven Maguire which is good for my beef with the show.

You are an embarrassment. That article didn't make a singular reference to Nevan Maguire, yet you drag his name in to another of your posts. Pathetic.

Oh dear my poor man! I was making a joke to lighten the mood here! I am afraid some people here are too serious for their own good. Maybe thats why some people here are so so angry! You poor poor fellow. I am sorry for you. It must be hard. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Oh dear my poor man! I was making a joke to lighten the mood here! I am afraid some people here are too serious for their own good. Maybe thats why some people here are so so angry! You poor poor fellow. I am sorry for you. It must be hard. ;)

No, you're trolling, as indeed you have been since the start of your input on this forum.

You wrote this: You are an embarrassment. That article didn't make a singular reference to Nevan Maguire, yet you drag his name in to another of your posts. Pathetic.

And before it I wrote this:

But this journalist had no time for Neven Maguire which is good for my beef with the show.

And I had read the article carefully before I wrote anything here and my joke was that the journalist had no time for Neven Maguire because he had no space to mention him. But you are too serious and quick to fly to get it because you are so angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Gave up on Lyric a long time ago. its original remit was to be a classical music station with light classical in the drivetime and lunchtime slots. It is now just the crap radio eireann that I grew up with in the 50's and 60's.

And to say that its audience has increased is no defence- I would say that its audience has just changed, so what was the point of starting a classical music station in the first place ?

I don't remember back that far but I heard great things about radio in those days, with Joe Linnane, Tommy O'Brien and the rest of them. Then the likes of Brendan Balfe, Terry Wogan, Mike Murphy, Jim Sherwin and Gay Byrne came in and shook the place up with their American ideas. It all added something to the big mix. All God's creatures have got a place in the choir is what I always say.

Marty Whelan had Josh Groban on last week (I missed the interview) but he has his new album as his disc of the week this week and it is really worth a listen. There will be copies of it going begging for anyone who calls in with the answers to the question to What are we Talking about? You get the goody bag as well with that.

Have you listened to BBC 3 in the morning? It is exactly the same as the Marty Whelan Show. They have mixed music and phone calls from listeners and prizes and texting and everything. But it isn't as lively as Marty because they don't have the spark or the flair that he has with the cameras. But it just goes to show. :cool:

I don't remember back that far but I heard great things about radio in those days, with Joe Linnane, Tommy O'Brien and the rest of them. Then the likes of Brendan Balfe, Terry Wogan, Mike Murphy, Jim Sherwin and Gay Byrne came in and shook the place up with their American ideas. It all added something to the big mix. All God's creatures have got a place in the choir is what I always say.

Marty Whelan had Josh Groban on last week (I missed the interview) but he has his new album as his disc of the week this week and it is really worth a listen. There will be copies of it going begging for anyone who calls in with the answers to the question to What are we Talking about? You get the goody bag as well with that.

Have you listened to BBC 3 in the morning? It is exactly the same as the Marty Whelan Show. They have mixed music and phone calls from listeners and prizes and texting and everything. But it isn't as lively as Marty because they don't have the spark or the flair that he has with the cameras. But it just goes to show. :cool:

How is it your post count never changes ?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Whatever it is it's probably nothing I have done myself but something in Boards. :)

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Whatever it is it's probably nothing I have done myself but something in Boards. :)

Is that you Hugo ??.

• Advertisement

Yvonne23R's posting history entirely comprises of posts about the MW show and, more particularly, her fascination with the link to Neven Maguire. I am suspicious.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

goose2005 wrote: »
    The Sindo don't like us:
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/declan-lynch-why-i-do-be-listening-to-martys-show-29105475.html

A whole army of strawmen there. And "inane patter" is a quote from users "doomed" and "Almaviva" - you're famous!

We must be doing something correct if the greatest rag - yes, I include News of the World, The Sun and The Orange Standard - in the history of Irish newspapers is ag'in us. I'd be genuinely worried if anybody in the employment of the tax exile parasite threat to Irish democracy that is Tony O'Reilly had anything good to say about anything that is actually good. It's an ineffably horrible newspaper and media culture with complete dickheads writing for it, not to mention mentally unstable creatively-challenged drones like Harris and his OCD issues with the same two organisations each week.

"All the smart ballsy guys are buying up property right now" (Brendan O'Connor, July 2007) just about sums up the ugliness and superficiality of that newspaper's cultural world. Enemies of the people, enemies of Irish democracy, servants of a tax exile oligarch and his agenda (until they abandon ship and support their new king and his agenda, that other tax exile Irish oligarch that is Denis O'Brien). Ultimately, the people to blame for it are the people who buy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Marty Whelan should not be on Lyric FM. On Lyric FM, he's a complete waffler, a disturbance on the morning's calm. Graceless and devoid of succinctness. There's so little self-control about him. He just waffles. To tell posters they cannot post criticisms of Whelan when his show is explicitly based upon his "stage" personality, rather than on the music, is ridiculous. After his talking, it's his abysmal musical choices which are criticised. Criticising this doesn't seem to be a problem, yet criticising Whelan's persona which is a much bigger part of his style is. This is not right.

He puts his radio persona at the centre of this show, and he puts the music in the background. As such, it is his persona which is justifiably attacked first for the intrusion which it is. To censor posters who criticise Whelan on this point is irrational. He could have changed and adapted to Lyric's culture. He didn't. Whelan, therefore, is the author of his own misfortune.

I had a day off work today but I was sorry to find that Marty Whelan had too! I suppose he deserves a break but it is a pity all the same for the listener. He doesn't get paid as much as Marian Finucane I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Coleyoscar

You would have to admit that 'Old Mart' as he calls himself is so bad at times that he's unintentionally funny. It's almost worth listening to his inane waffle and enduring the truely awful music choices (Neil Diamond: 'Turn on your heartlight', sweet mother of god).
    One morning, wanting to mark some anniversary for Anton Chekov, he played (I'm not making this up) 'Sisters, sisters (there were never such devoted sisters)'. It has a kind of Alan Partridge brilliance to it, doesn't it?
    To think that a wonderful concept like Lyric FM has sunk to this.
    It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

He played a Rolf Harris song the other morning. I actually thought he couldn't get any worse, but I've been proven to be incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Coleyoscar wrote: »
    You would have to admit that 'Old Mart' as he calls himself is so bad at times that he's unintentionally funny. It's almost worth listening to his inane waffle and enduring the truely awful music choices (Neil Diamond: 'Turn on your heartlight', sweet mother of god).
    One morning, wanting to mark some anniversary for Anton Chekov, he played (I'm not making this up) 'Sisters, sisters (there were never such devoted sisters)'. It has a kind of Alan Partridge brilliance to it, doesn't it?
    To think that a wonderful concept like Lyric FM has sunk to this.
    It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

Wasn't there an old song called "Three Little Sisters"? So Marty can't even get his punning song titles properly.

No sign of Marty Whelan this week.:(

No sign of Marty Whelan this week.:(

*\o/* Tuning in tomorrow so!!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Kerte

He played a Rolf Harris song the other morning. I actually thought he couldn't get any worse, but I've been proven to be incorrect.

But the 56-year-old presenter says he'll continue working well into his 70s

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/martys-off-to-malmo-and-he-fancies-our-chances-29177727.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement