Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Marty's a gent and one of the nicest people around but he is BLOODY awful on Lyric. Way way way to much talking !! Why does he feel the need to load his links with inane chatter and prattle? its off putting and distracting, and in the context of the station he's presenting on it makes him sound rather manic and it all stems from him not having his links prepared, its that simple. You can hear him speaking off the top of his head especially when he uses cliches like 'you know when youve been tangoed' when back announcing some tango related music. Like i said he's a lovely chap but another example of an RTE lifer who has been getting away with it for way too long, pity. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

Marty Whelan's programme actually is more serious than you think. He is organising a special week's tour of Verona and places in Italy in July (I think) where he will lead people to the opera. It is being organised by The Travel Department (I think - or some firm like that) but he will be making a big announcement on the programme later in the week. I think as well that he will be going to raffle off a place on the tour or a discount at laast - from what he was saying today this was what he was inferring to us.

So that will keep the complainers happy who say he is not dealing with classy classical music. He was also telling us that someone who listens is going to hear Andrea Bocelli in Luca in Italy soon because they didn't get the tickets for Morricone that he was offering for the event.

He was also seen by a lot of listeners at the weekend at a concert and he was talking to some of them. As the last speaker said he really is a great guy even if you can't stand him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    He is organising a special week's tour (I think)
    It is being organised by The Travel Department (I think)
    I think as well that he will be going to raffle off a place.

How and why do you think these things ?

Sorry for being too honest and not wanting to claim I know things that I don't know.;) I "think" because I missed the name of the travel company but I think M Whelan said it was "The Travel Department". And as well I "think" because I was guessing from what he said that he seemed to be hinting that there was going to be something reallly good to listen out for later in the week and I "think" it is probably a competition to win a week with him on tour in Verona. I might be wrong. :)

People who like Marty Whelan might like to know that he's running a competition this week to win a prize of a week with him in Italy next August. Going to Venice for the gondolas and then to Verona for the opera (Aida, I'm nearly sure it is) and with good food all the way staying in 4 Star hotels with the Travel Department and with professional tourist guides. You have to answer the questions and send them all in on Friday to win. Aer Lingus flights to Milan are included in the prize. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Going on a holiday with Marty Whelan would be my idea of hell :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I caught a few minutes of this so bored was I by the coverage of the Boston bombs, Marty seems to be trying to do a Wogan. And failing.

Fingers crossed until tomorrow to see if I've won the trip of a lifetime to Italy in August with Marty Whelan and the Travel Department - going to Milan, Verona and Venice for the opera, the food, the gondolas. I would love eight days in the sun with Marty and the music.

You and the Night and the Music as the old songs says! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Marty Whelan's programme actually is more serious than you think. He is organising a special week's tour of Verona and places in Italy in July (I think) where he will lead people to the opera. It is being organised by The Travel Department (I think - or some firm like that) but he will be making a big announcement on the programme later in the week. I think as well that he will be going to raffle off a place on the tour or a discount at laast - from what he was saying today this was what he was inferring to us.

So that will keep the complainers happy who say he is not dealing with classy classical music. He was also telling us that someone who listens is going to hear Andrea Bocelli in Luca in Italy soon because they didn't get the tickets for Morricone that he was offering for the event.

He was also seen by a lot of listeners at the weekend at a concert and he was talking to some of them. As the last speaker said he really is a great guy even if you can't stand him.

Oh nice one. Verona, brilliant as it might be (I wouldn't know, as I haven't been myself) is a prime tourist trail festival - its not like those American companies who advertise in Opera News who organise complex, interesting tours to little places like Wexford. Every 2nd tourist agency in Italy does them. What I'm trying to say is that EVEN Marty Whelan could do it.

What bugs me is he simply has reduced the amount of classical music on Lyric to maybe 10-15%. Last time I listened it was easy listening, film music, Simon & Garfunkel. By that stage - I am lucky enough to live in North County Dublin - I switch back to BBC radio 3. All we are asking is that he actually plays classical music.

And another gripe with Lyric FM. A few weeks ago I was listening to the "Live from the Met" radio simulcast on BBC3. It was Diana Damrau as Violetta in La Traviata and I texted my mother to switch over to it on Lyric. But guess what, since the Met now start some long shows at 12 and even 11 o clock, Lyric still only start at 7pm so they delay it! Its no longer LIVE from the Met - its "perhaps" live from the Met. So if its a 4.5 hour Handel like tomorrow or a 5+ hour Wagner it goes on until midnight, not a comfortable time for listeners. Thats just nuts.

On the other hand, the little culturefile pieces they do on Friday evenings are very good. Why can't we have more of this than the Marty-rubbish?

If you have a bluetooth receiver on your radio and an Android or iPhone handset, you should be able to stream online radio and get an alternative. I listen to BBC3 but WXQR in New York is very good, as is RAI5 in Italy and Radio Bartok in Hungary. Its no wonder classical music is in the state it is in Ireland. What hope have we when our "classical" station has been overriden by washed up old 70s pop-jocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Going on a holiday with Marty Whelan would be my idea of hell :mad:

A few opera experts in Ireland do run tours. I can't remember their names but they are known around the place.

You can do it yourself anyway. I've self organised fantastic trips to houses in Hungary, France and New York. With the internet nowadays you can pretty much get a ticket for anything online.

• Advertisement

It's really a pity that you take such a downtake on Marty Whelan's show. Because he is a lovely man who is the best in the business. I would LOVE to have been the winner of his opera tour to Venice, Milan, and Verona, I can tell you, and so would lots of listeners. We don't all have silver spoons and we could be made very happy to spend a long week with him enjoying popular opera - yes Popular Opera. He is making it available to everyone as part of his programme. And I'm sure there are other tours organised for people who like the heavy stuff but not everyone can afford that or has the advantages to be able to appreciate them. And he has a great knowledge of food so the lunches that are part of the tour would be superb - plus there would be his wittiness all through to contend.

Today he was lovely with all that happiness and sunshine just like the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I despair of morning radio these days.

After Morning Ireland is over, my default was to run like hell from the John Murray show (nowadays the Neil Delamere show, which is even worse) to Lyric. But I simply cannot stand any more of Marty's blathering on, and I agree with the recent poster that there's hardly any classical music on any more, it's just MOR bland songs and Marty's ego. So that's out.

None of the other stations are much better. I wind up listening to the birds in the garden for an hour these days - not that that's a bad thing!

Back on topic, Marty's show has crossed the line to unlistenable for me, which is a shame, I used to love having the alternative to switch from listening to the doom and gloom of current affairs to some lovely CLASSICAL music. Why has he been allowed drag the show completely away from that???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't mind the music mix, but why does he mumble and stumble over the names of tracks? Just READ it off the damn screen, you don't need to rush it, or put on an accent, just bloody read it.

And the AA girl flirting thing is beyond nausea inducing. What is he, 30 years older? It's predatory and sleazy. Reeks of jimmy saville.

I have to say that is a terrible thing to say about innocent fun!

A great funny story this morning from Marty Whelan's correspondent Major-General Sir Luxury Yacht OBE. It was like something by Frank Muir from long ago only more up to date. It would put a smile on your face in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yes thought it quite funny also.

I assume it is 'Hugo' in another of his/her guises...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

If you've got a DAB reciever and are in Dublin, this Whelan hell need not be endured anymore.
    Dusty Rhodes seems to see a gap in the market......

http://radiotoday.ie/2013/05/pure-classic-launches-on-dab-in-dublin/

Yes. I think its probably more by Hugo but it is very good in this case. That was a nice interview with Jack Jones at the end of the show too. I don't look forward to going back to work on Monday and missing this every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

The 'interview' with Jack Jones was a simpering pile o' crap, like most of his interviews.

Jesus, the relentless plugging of himself on Eurovision next week was really disgusting, does no one get him to tone it down? I wouldn't have thought it's lyric's business, it's more of a Mooney/Shay Byrne Radio One thing.

I haven't listened to Marty for a while, but it's possibly worse than ever in terms of music and verbal expulsions.

If all his heroes, Rolf Harris et al. keep being arrested on suspicion of being a nonce, his playlist is going to shrink dramatically!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

A great funny story this morning from Marty Whelan's correspondent Major-General Sir Luxury Yacht OBE. ......

Sweet suffering jeebus!:eek:

I suppose this 'nautical' BBC Light programme 1950's themed nonsense is in honour of Mr. Whelan's slow but sure role in the sinking of Lyrics' classical remit.

Another glowing article from the Sindo will probably laud him as a multi-persona comic genius.......others might not be so kind!

• Advertisement

I've just been reminded that Marty Whelan said at the end of the show on Friday that he won't be with us this week because he's going to Sweden for the Eurovision. I hope he has left a list of easy listening and light classical music for us to enjoy for the middle hour at least. It's a pity this Eurovision is dragged out over a whole week now. It was better when it was all on one night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I confirm with glee that he was not on this morning.
    I accidentally left my radio alarm tuned to Lyric from the weekend....

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭bureau2009

pinkypinky wrote: »
    He's at the Eurovision this week - which is exactly why I will watch the Eurovision on BBC Television, not RTE.

Broadcasters are supposed to have appeal, to draw you into a programme.........however, I have to leave the room when I hear Marty Whelan..............

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

pinkypinky wrote: »

Please, please, let him have a week (or two!) away from the Lyric airwaves to do whatever he does on this Eurovision junket.

Are we in for a week of Trish Taylor and uninterrupted classics without the drivel?

...no "Hugo", no "Sir Yacht", no blathering or finger drumming, no "Eye Lurve Parees in dee Spa-ring-dime", no Goons, Carry-on parodies or other antiquated Blackpool skits, no "Jungle Book" melodies and a welcome break from 'Mart' telling us about the forthcoming great meeting of minds between his great self and Ennio Morricone.

......bliss!

I heard a bit of the program and Trish is good. I still miss the sheer fun that Marty Whelan brings to everyones' faces in the morning. If he stays away too long the listeners will get out of the habit of getting on to him with jokes and everything. I think Trish should read them out too because people must still be sending them in. Marty is even able to make the traffic forecasts fun which is hard to do. I don't want dull black and white radio in the morning even if it is a Summer's day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

I heard a bit of the program and Trish is good. I still miss the sheer fun that Marty Whelan brings to everyones' faces in the morning. If he stays away too long the listeners will get out of the habit of getting on to him with jokes and everything. I think Trish should read them out too because people must still be sending them in. Marty is even able to make the traffic forecasts fun which is hard to do. I don't want dull black and white radio in the morning even if it is a Summer's day!

Persistent trolling reported.

The Yvonne23R 'Thanks' to europa11's post is funny though.

Marty Whelan is doing the TV commentary on the Eurovision very well tonight. I think he's as good as Terry Wogan used to be but not being smutty and ugly like Graham Norton. Two out of three Irishmen can't be bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

Marty Whelan is doing the TV commentary on the Eurovision very well tonight. I think he's as good as Terry Wogan used to be but not being smutty and ugly like Graham Norton. Two out of three Irishmen can't be bad!!

Smutty maybe, but ugly?? I think not. Graham has a very 'irish' face. If you find that ugly, could I suggest you are living in the wrong country.

We failed to quallify btw. Marty will be soo sad.

Thanks people for the heads up re Marty's week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

mbur wrote: »
    Smutty maybe, but ugly?? I think not. Graham has a very 'irish' face. If you find that ugly, could I suggest you are living in the wrong country.

YiiiipppppppeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

mbur wrote: »

Sorry my mistake, we're through... Happy Marty :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement