Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Shopping :D

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

tigerblob wrote: »
    Maybe this isn't what the OP means, but I really want to buy some new key pieces for my wardrobe! All my shoes have gotten old and tatty looking and I don't have a Winter coat, for example. I was in River Island today and I didn't buy anything but my birthday is in a few days and I really want to blow it all there, I wanted everything! I need a hat and coat for walking to college and a bag too... It sucks a bit though, because I'll be expected to spend my birthday money on boring things like books and rent so I'll probably end up without new shoes :(
    Dittooo:rolleyes::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

Thanks! Hope it goes just as well for you : ) What course are you doing? Heading into Science myself :D

TR071? If so I'll be seeing you there!

As for me, I just bought a USB stick, aload of refill pads, folders, stationary etc. My parents have laptops but they're absolutely rubbish. Hopefully I'll just be able to stick with Sally (my utterly unreliable but still oddly loveable desktop).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

JamesJB wrote: »
    TR071? If so I'll be seeing you there!

Yeah, i'll see you there so : ) Can't wait to get started!

Yeah, i'll see you there so : ) Can't wait to get started!

Should be good. My only worry is that I didn't do Chemistry, so I've been watching some videos and doing a small bit of reading up as light preparation. Will be doing their primer course on the 13th also. Apprehensions aside, I'm looking forward to it too :cool:

Although being an introverted, unapproachable person it'll probably be difficult for me to mix with a new group of people.

On topic: I just realised that my old, broken MP3 player functions perfectly as a USB mass storage device, meaning that I just wasted a tenner on a 2gb USB drive...

Should be good. My only worry is that I didn't do Chemistry, so I've been watching some videos and doing a small bit of reading up as light preparation. Will be doing their primer course on the 13th also. Apprehensions aside, I'm looking forward to it too :cool:

Although being an introverted, unapproachable person it'll probably be difficult for me to mix with a new group of people.

On topic: I just realised that my old, broken MP3 player functions perfectly as a USB mass storage device, meaning that I just wasted a tenner on a 2gb USB drive...

I didn't do Chemistry either, debating whether to do it this year or not so i'm going to do the course on the 13th aswel, can't hurt. It will also help us get used the college before Freshers week so that's pretty helpful.

I'm sure the majority of people are the exact same so hoping it'll be pretty easy to meet new people. Everyone says to just start talking to random people but that's easier said than done! Guess i'm a little nervous about that part but we all share a common interest in Science so that's a start :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

USB Drives can go corrupt, and your work can be lost. Therefore you should save your files on both of them. So it's not like you completely wasted your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

I've so much to get.. Stationary, A4 Pads, A few new items of clothes/shoes, Random things for my room/apartment, A USB Key, A Laptop (hopefully!!)

USB Drives can go corrupt, and your work can be lost. Therefore you should save your files on both of them. So it's not like you completely wasted your money.

Indeed, that's a good point. I do have a fair bit of experience with keeping backups though...My "novel" is on my computer, 2 laptops, discs, gmail, hotmail and now dropbox.:cool: You cannot be too careful.
    I'm sure the majority of people are the exact same so hoping it'll be pretty easy to meet new people. Everyone says to just start talking to random people but that's easier said than done! Guess i'm a little nervous about that part but we all share a common interest in Science so that's a start :)

It's never easy, but I'm hoping to make friends right from the outset. Look out for James, the long-haired, sinister-looking rogue!

I exaggerate, although my 6th year school photo has a remarkable resemblance to Sephiroth's high school photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

A great idea! How exactly do you do this? Do you e-mail yourself the file, or do you FTP them to gmail using gmail space, or similar?
    I generally just attach them to a new message and "save as draft" ...

Low tech solution every time! :D
    just to add that i send another copy to the same email and my college email. happened to a friend that she forgot her password and couldn't reset it. lost a presentation she was doing btw.

Yet to buy:

• Jacket/hoodies
    • Dissection kit
    • Laptop, with some luck
    • Hoody with name of college emblazoned on the back. (this should be number one for sure)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

theowen wrote: »
    Yet to buy:

• Jacket/hoodies
    • Dissection kit
    • Laptop, with some luck
    • Hoody with name of college emblazoned on the back. (this should be number one for sure)

I am so jealous of you getting to buy a dissecting kit. That is so exciting...

Gyeh; I never even thought of something like that. Then again, I never really got into the whole 'school spirit' all throughout high school, either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Em... Who actually told you guys to buy all this stuff?!
    I havent gotten a thing except a bag and laptop, which I already had. I was gonna wait till orientation to see what books/stationary I will need.

Gyeh; I never even thought of something like that. Then again, I never really got into the whole 'school spirit' all throughout high school, either...
    we call it secondary school in this country :P

college hoodies are usually good quality though. you see a good few people going round with them, along with a club/soc hoodie as well. i've got a PhysicsSoc hoodie that's really cool :cool:

Also... Forget yer USB drives! Google Windows Live Workspace or Windows Live Skydrive. Gigs of storage online, accessible from anywhere with an internet connection! :) You'll need a hotmail/live email address though :) Its a good backup to your usb drive

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Two pieces of advice ...

1. Do not do:
    Yet to buy:
    EDIT: these ...
    whiteman19 wrote: »
    with a club/soc hoodie as well.
    are generally much more acceptable / cool though.

2. Do not refer to yourself as a Trinner.

Also... Forget yer USB drives! Google Windows Live Workspace or Windows Live Skydrive. Gigs of storage online, accessible from anywhere with an internet connection! :) You'll need a hotmail/live email address though :) Its a good backup to your usb drive

>Windows Live
    :rolleyes:

Ok, sarcasm aside, I'd go for Gmail/Dropbox/anything else over that.

I'm actually Irish as far back as, well, our family has looked. I use a lot of americanisms, probably due to the internet being hooked into my CNS. Thus, I attended high school, have black as my favourite color, and once owned a Sega Genesis. Such is the way. As an aside, I don't actually look Irish. I have fairly sallow skin and dark hair...doomed, you might say, to be mistaken as a foreigner in both reality and on the internets :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

college hoodies are usually good quality though. you see a good few people going round with them, along with a club/soc hoodie as well. i've got a PhysicsSoc hoodie that's really cool :cool:

How much are those society hoodies? I plan on getting some :D

cork*girl wrote: »
    How much are those society hoodies? I plan on getting some :D
    depends on the Soc and how many they order...that physics one cost me €10 and i got two :D really comfy and have these holes at the end of them for your thumb.
    you want a NUIG physics one? :D you'll have to wait til next year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

2. Do not refer to yourself as a Trinner.
    But Trinners is for winnars!

I really hope I get an offer for Trinity, I'll probably get the sh1t kicked out of me in NUIM at this rate :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

>Windows Live
    :rolleyes:

Ok, sarcasm aside, I'd go for Gmail/Dropbox/anything else over that.
    25GB of online storage i think i'll stick to hotmail :pac:

25GB of online storage i think i'll stick to hotmail :pac:
    in all honesty, who's going to upload 25gb of projects/notes? i doubt i've 500MB of notes all together. unless you mean...other "stuff" :eek:
    uploading takes ages as well, especially on a slow connection. i'd only put up the most important stuff.

and btw, there's a Dropbox referrals thread over in the C&T forum (do a search, i'm too lazy), so you can add even more storage to the 2gb provided.

in all honesty, who's going to upload 25gb of projects/notes? i doubt i've 500MB of notes all together. unless you mean...other "stuff" :eek:
    uploading takes ages as well, especially on a slow connection. i'd only put up the most important stuff.

and btw, there's a Dropbox referrals thread over in the C&T forum (do a search, i'm too lazy), so you can add even more storage to the 2gb provided.
    Its very simple and fast to upload to windows.
    For example with an add on to microsoft office you can upload word files directly to your workspace account! The exact same way you would save it to your desktop!

zam wrote: »
    I am so jealous of you getting to buy a dissecting kit. That is so exciting...
    :cool:Think of the cool stuff we get to do with it!
    Not so much school spirit, but to annoy everyone one who'd begging me not to wear it!:)
    `````````````
    I'd never wear/say Trinner in public of course... :P

Its very simple and fast to upload to windows.
    For example with an add on to microsoft office you can upload word files directly to your workspace account! The exact same way you would save it to your desktop!
    all depends on your connection. some people don't have great bb, like me for instance. i can't get bb where i live at home, so i use 3G bb, and it's as slow as hell. it would take hours to upload a 100MB file (which if you're doing a presentation with videos/pics, could be the size of it). maybe if you're always using college bb, it would be good, but you can't generally install add-ons to programs.
    i'd always back up stuff on my usb drive, on my college account, and gmail. depending on your college (i know NUIG do this), if you delete something on your account, you can go to the IT dept, and ask them to get it. they do a nightly back up to tapes, so it's handy if you want a previous version that you forgot to back up before editing. :)

It's never easy, but I'm hoping to make friends right from the outset. Look out for James, the long-haired, sinister-looking rogue!

Yeah course you will, I'll keep an eye out for you then!
    Yet to buy:

I still can't wait to get one of these, going to get a cool Science one :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I am looking forward to getting the University sports club's hoodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

Just took a look back at LC forum and saw this thread. Thought my imput might be of some help.... If your thinking of getting a laptop, do your research first. Even with rubbish euro to sterling rates atm, there is a huge saving buying a laptop up the north. Even PC World have differences of €80 in conversion. :eek:

Theres a pretty good sale on in Debenhams atm too.. 70% + BOGOF on reduced to clear clothes. :D

TK-Maxx do good frying pans, stir fry pans pretty good prices too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭green909

Lawliet wrote: »
    But Trinners is for winnars!

I really hope I get an offer for Trinity, I'll probably get the sh1t kicked out of me in NUIM at this rate :P

You'll probably get it kicked out of you in Trinity talking like that too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement