Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Shopping :D

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Irishchick wrote: »
    1000 Euros to spend for going back to college O.o. Wow that seems like an extraordinary amount !!!
    Oh, I wouldn't take too much notice of the RossO'CK wannabe tbh! >.<
    Irishchick wrote: »
    **Very important** Always remember to back up your work as memory keys can corrupt sometimes.
    +100

Gmail can be very useful for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Never thought of that. Thanks :D

Are they going to last the year? :P
    Btw, I'm all for recycling, but there are certain things that really shouldn't be recycled ... :pac: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Btw, I'm all for recycling, but there are certain things that really shouldn't be recycled ... :pac: :D
    Not aiming all that high with the 3 you get in freshers week tbh! :P But fair enough...:pac:

Not aiming all that high with the 3 you get in freshers week tbh! :P But fair enough...:pac:
    :eek:

He *still* hasn't used those 3 up?!! 0_o

:pac:

/double-locks front door

Here, seriously ... you know those cartoons where the protagonist slides into blissful oblivion courtesy of a large rubber mallet? :(

Feel free ... >_>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Paperchase in the basement of Awear on Grafton St. has lovely pens/pencil cases/notebooks/schoolbags for which are really cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

:eek:

He *still* hasn't used those 3 up?!! 0_o

:pac:

/double-locks front door

Here, seriously ... you know those cartoons where the protagonist slides into blissful oblivion courtesy of a large rubber mallet? :(

Feel free ... >_>
    Can't recycle what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Even handier than a usb key is Dropbox which automatically syncs a folder on your computer online. You could set that folder to be on your USB key and that way you've got the best of both worlds. Use THIS LINK and we both get 250MB extra:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭RHunce

box.net is very useful for storing word docs and powerpoints etc and it's free :)

Is it possible to have your laptop plugged in 100% of the time in college? Mine has a battery life of 30 mins...and my dad says I don't need a new one:mad::P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

those puka pad project book things with the dividers are really good for when you have multiple modules in subjects. one for each subject and you've all ur modules together.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

A great idea! How exactly do you do this? Do you e-mail yourself the file, or do you FTP them to gmail using gmail space, or similar?

A great idea! How exactly do you do this? Do you e-mail yourself the file, or do you FTP them to gmail using gmail space, or similar?
    I generally just attach them to a new message and "save as draft" ...

Low tech solution every time! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

LovexxLife wrote: »
    So will a pukka pad and like a few pens and highlighters do for college.
    Is there anything else im forgetting?

Well ya its enough to start with. Like you'll have to get folders and other stationary along the way and a memory stick. But nothing to expensive, remember it can be done on a lot less money than most people think. €50 in Tesco will cover all that stuff for the year easily and most books and papers can be got online or from the library.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I generally just attach them to a new message and "save as draft" ...

Low tech solution every time! :D

Sheer genius. The simple solution is always the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

CK2010 wrote: »
    those puka pad project book things with the dividers are really good for when you have multiple modules in subjects. one for each subject and you've all ur modules together.

If you mean the 250 page ones with 5 seperate sections then they aint exactly cheap. €8 each in Reads on sunday.

redout wrote: »
    If you mean the 250 page ones with 5 seperate sections then they aint exactly cheap. €8 each in Reads on sunday.

yeh they're the ones, they're not cheap by any means but they do their job! and it means you'veonly on notebook for each subject instead of a few for each.
    also saves on alot of time finding and sorting through notes! although because i had a newborn baby when i started and no time to even study let alone sort notes, using those was a godsend so i didnt care what the price was! :)
    i think you can buy a three pack which works out at better value, they are still expensive but they make things a hell of alot easier when it comes to studying or writing essays.

yeh they're the ones, they're not cheap by any means but they do their job! and it means you'veonly on notebook for each subject instead of a few for each.
    also saves on alot of time finding and sorting through notes! although because i had a newborn baby when i started and no time to even study let alone sort notes, using those was a godsend so i didnt care what the price was! :)
    i think you can buy a three pack which works out at better value, they are still expensive but they make things a hell of alot easier when it comes to studying or writing essays.

I was sickened this morning - easons doing them for €5 (though they are either pink or blue/yellow stripes only)

I was sickened this morning - easons doing them for €5 (though they are either pink or blue/yellow stripes only)

thats just a kick in the face!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

You wont really need to buy many of the books (Maybe if you're in English or whatever), but if you think you might need to buy one, take it out of the library first, make sure it'd be actually useful, then find the book online, do not buy it in a shop here, it'll cost you a silly amount of money (I did find a computer architecture book here really really cheap, but cases like that are few and far between).

Basically, be sure you need it, then buy it online.

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    You wont really need to buy many of the books (Maybe if you're in English or whatever), but if you think you might need to buy one, take it out of the library first, make sure it'd be actually useful, then find the book online, do not buy it in a shop here, it'll cost you a silly amount of money (I did find a computer architecture book here really really cheap, but cases like that are few and far between).

Basically, be sure you need it, then buy it online.

Yeah Amazon doing some deal were if you spend over €25 they will deliver to Ireland for free. Was actually checking out books there over the weekend and they have everything. Not sure about the currenct conversion from sterling though - could end up similar to here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Yeah Amazon doing some deal were if you spend over €25 they will deliver to Ireland for free. Was actually checking out books there over the weekend and they have everything. Not sure about the currenct conversion from sterling though - could end up similar to here.

thebookdepository tend to be very good too :)

Fad wrote: »
    thebookdepository tend to be very good too :)

That is actually cheaper than both Waterstones and Amazon for my books anyway. Cheers.

So would you only need one or a few?

theowen wrote: »
    So would you only need one or a few?

It all depends on how heavy your note taking is.

If one module in particular requires a lot of notes then you will be onto your second pad whilst the others still have space on the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

Maybe this isn't what the OP means, but I really want to buy some new key pieces for my wardrobe! All my shoes have gotten old and tatty looking and I don't have a Winter coat, for example. I was in River Island today and I didn't buy anything but my birthday is in a few days and I really want to blow it all there, I wanted everything! I need a hat and coat for walking to college and a bag too... It sucks a bit though, because I'll be expected to spend my birthday money on boring things like books and rent so I'll probably end up without new shoes :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Guys, be aware that most colleges have stationery for sale in shops on campus and the prices are a fraction of what they are in Easons and Read's and the like.

Girls get decent boots for winter, and a coat, specially for UCD!!It's the windiest spot in the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

do people actually need their laptops in class?:confused:

clarke1991 wrote: »
    do people actually need their laptops in class?:confused:

Some courses do though I would tell you that most do not.

• Advertisement

dan_d wrote: »
    Guys, be aware that most colleges have stationery for sale in shops on campus and the prices are a fraction of what they are in Easons and Read's and the like.

Girls get decent boots for winter, and a coat, specially for UCD!!It's the windiest spot in the city!

the stationery in maynooth was generally more expensive i found! well all the things i wanted were! typical of me to have expensive taste! :rolleyes:

for the small A4 pads the londis (i think it was a londis- how quick we forget!) on campus was quite good, and i think you could get the NUIM A4 pads for free somewhere on campus but i cant remember for the life of me where!

i second the decent boots comment- brings back some 'cold snap' memories! walking to exams in snow!

Advertisement