Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Shopping :D

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Yep... I bought a Macbook about a year and a half ago.. one of the black ones... and I love it. Takes a while to get used to em if u havent used one before or have only been using windows but they are the business. That said, most laptops now are really good so its win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

got a new piar of male skinny jeans for a 5 euros with 15% stu discount in topman down in cork when i was looking at appments

need to hit urbonoutfiters in dublin for t-shirts they might be 35 euro but there nice a 10% stu discount

just got new boots in river island

need get a frying pan something for takeing the water out of pasta after cooking it

something good for cutting

a few jumpers but topman has noting much lately

and a school bag does anyone no anywhere that sells jan sport bags in cork ? because there is a hole in my 3 year old bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭leinsterrugby

yeah man 1000 euro pretty delish. returned home from abroad with the guys to my dad, he was delighted like that i got my place in arts. handed me 1000 euro and said he's gonna give me his car when he buys his new one in the next few weeks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

yeah man 1000 euro pretty delish. returned home from abroad with the guys to my dad, he was delighted like that i got my place in arts. handed me 1000 euro and said he's gonna give me his car when he buys his new one in the next few weeks :D

lucky you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Just get all of them - I'm sure your old man can afford them! :rolleyes:
    Don't troll this thread (or any other thread in this forum) again.
    mink_man wrote:
    leinster rugby is really a bad troll. he got expelled from school during the summer and is now off the college, some man.
    SDTimeout wrote:
    He has another account called ploughingdaily and he tries to troll but from a rural point of view.

If you have a problem with a user, then report their posts. Don't go addressing them on the thread.

Now back on topic please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Can anyone recommend a decent laptop for under 500 euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭leinsterrugby

can you please tell me what i have done wrong? i just asked some of the guys on here for their opinion on which sweater i should get? seems appropriate 4 the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

can you please tell me what i have done wrong? i just asked some of the guys on here for their opinion on which sweater i should get? seems appropriate 4 the thread

Why don't you ask KnifeWrench by Private Message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

Lawliet wrote: »

Possibly you could consider getting a Netbook, they are cheap and lightweight, they will be effective for college day to day computing, word processing, web surfing.
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/ASUS_Eee_PC_Seashell_1005HA_Netbook_in_Black_-_10_Hours_Battery_Life_1005HA-BLK045S/version.asp These have a good name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

<snip .. c'mon, he's a rugby player, they don't make them that big!>

Edit - Sorry, I saw his comment and left that, I didn't see there was more posts after mine. I see the post above me. Remove this comment if you want.
    Also warning. Contains naughty material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

im gonna get a few things next week. dunnes job:o! just realised that a frying pan and stuff might be needed:eek:! got a crate of pint glasses today in work for free so im happy out with that:D;):cool:

oh and on a side note, Ix Deadmau5, brill user name :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

and a school bag does anyone no anywhere that sells jan sport bags in cork ? because there is a hole in my 3 year old bag

most sport shops in town do them like cummins or mahers sports on north main street or else there is a cobbler across from the gpo that does them too!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Laptops are pretty important. As is a pen drive- Essential.
    I've never handed in an assignment that was handwritten, they won't accept them!
    Netbooks are great for carrying around but they are a pain to use when there so small. You can't type comfortably and apart from web surfing and maybe notes they can't do anything so if you need to run software get a proper laptop.

If your moving away from home, see what you need, sheets, bed covers, towels, kitchen supplies etc.. but don't overdo it, its so easy to have buy so much you'll never need it all. oh.. A George Foreman grill is pretty awesome to have.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

mink_man wrote: »
    condoms
    Actually, not bad advice! :p

... its great being privledged;)
    can you please tell me what i have done wrong?
    Enough of the RossOCK impressions.

I wouldn't mind if you were actually funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Lawliet wrote: »

There's a HP laptop in PC World atm for 499. 3 GB ram and 320 GB Hard drive. :)
    Comes in white/red/silver/pink!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭BlueNemo

Noel2k9 wrote: »

You get to save a whole euro! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

People keep saying Condoms but you don't really need them, Nearly every college gives you some during freshers week, and then more during SHAG week.
    From what I've seen, people aren't really having as much sex as movies leads you to believe... Every one I know seems to be in a long term relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Noodleworm wrote: »
    People keep saying Condoms but you don't really need them, Nearly every college gives you some during freshers week, and then more during SHAG week.
    From what I've seen, people aren't really having as much sex as movies leads you to believe... Every one I know seems to be in a long term relationship.

Sex and Sexuality forum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    You got it in pink, didn't you? :P
    From what I've seen, people aren't really having as much sex as movies leads you to believe...
    True, but if you do find yourself in that position at 2 in the morning, be prepared! ... (and I'm speaking to both genders here).

Practise safe sex, people! ;)
    unknown13 wrote: »
    Sex and Sexuality forum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Not really, tbh.

People who are old enough to be going to college, or at least be facing into their LC, need to know about protecting themselves and others.

That said, I don't want this thread sidetracked into a big discussion of the issue either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

You got it in pink, didn't you? :P

I didn't get that one actually! :pac:
    Mine's a Samsung.. And it's red and silver.
    Best of both worlds like! :pac:

Bet you're off to PC World to check for the pink now though! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

So will a pukka pad and like a few pens and highlighters do for college.
    Is there anything else im forgetting?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

that will definitely do for the first week or two. If you need to get anything specific for any of your lectures they will tell you in the first lecture;)

You will need a good few refill pads during the year but its best to get them as you need them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

cozzie55 wrote: »
    that will definitely do for the first week or two. If you need to get anything specific for any of your lectures they will tell you in the first lecture;)

You will need a good few refill pads during the year but its best to get them as you need them
    Seriously? I only used half a refill pad my entire first year :cool:

Oh by the way Dunnes are selling packs of 10 refill pads for a fiver at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

Im buying my own clothes horse for this year - i know where i'm going there is only 1 small one, and 3 girls trying to use 1 small clothes horse- not going to happen!!
    A memory key is probably the most important thing to get though, you can work on your assignments anywhere - If you get a free class you can nip into the library for an hour and add a bit onto your essay without having to bring your laptop into college. But if there is one thing i learned last year its make two copys of your essays!! Iv seen it happen to two people, that theyr memory key got broken or it wont open the file the day before the essay is due - panick stations set in biiiiiig shtyle!! So email yourself a copy and save a copy on your memory key, the things you will have saved on that by the end of the year are invaluable. I now have my wrapped in 5 layers of bubble wrap in a polypocket which is stapled shut and in the folder along with my first year notes! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

phasers wrote: »
    Seriously? I only used half a refill pad my entire first year :cool:

Oh by the way Dunnes are selling packs of 10 refill pads for a fiver at the moment!

What course are you doing??? You mustn't need to take much notes
    I used 21 of them last year. Ok that was final year but still. That was even with 5 of my 12 modules with complete sets of notes online. Would say I used about 6 of them in first year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

A dictaphone wouldnt be a bad addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

redout wrote: »
    A dictaphone wouldnt be a bad addition.

This is a brilliant suggestions as try as you might you won't be able to write down everything your lecturing says.

Lots of A4 pads, plastic folders (super cheap from Tesco) for each subject for any assignments which need to be handed in hard copy.

2 UBD keys a backup of your main because when your panicking getting all your assignments done you are very likely to leave your USB key behind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Iunno, UCDSU decided to give out the dodgiest condoms I have ever seen last freshers week..... so I doubt you'd want to rely on them!

I dunno, buying your own just seems responsible tbh...

Anywho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

People keep saying Condoms but you don't really need them, Nearly every college gives you some during freshers week, and then more during SHAG week
    Are they going to last the year? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

1000 Euros to spend for going back to college O.o. Wow that seems like an extraordinary amount !!!

Ill be be buying my own stuff probably penny's or dunnes!

Ive been to college before. Dont worry too much about spending loads of clothes. It will be all style for the first week but after that youll see people in pyjama's or whatever they went to bed in :rolleyes:

Few pens and refill pads will do. I agree about laptops but ive had no problems with dell. There's a dell laptop in my house thats over 5 years old and still running fine.

**Very important** Always remember to back up your work as memory keys can corrupt sometimes.

Advertisement