Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"A Student" Selling His Notes On eBay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

aine92 wrote: »
    I know this guy and I wouldnt buy a bag of lollipops off him, personally speaking. He used to call himself Cool Cillian.

I agree with you aine!
    I've seen his notes too... they're awful!
    There'a about one folder of them
    All the teachers in our school are raging

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hatred

He got 7As, so what? Just give them away to people who need it. And saying that notes will get you an A is stupid. I studied mostly from my books and got 5 As notes just helped a bit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Less of the vitriol, people, please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Final Bids
    1,100 French
    140 Irish
    192.50 History
    1,020 Maths
    271.87 English
    120 Music

Total 2844.37

so if the people are actually serious, he stands to gain almost €3,000. :eek: doubt he'll actually get it. i pity him if he thinks he'll get all this money.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I know somebody said it already but its completely true, in the subjects I got my As in my notes are a complete match to me and what suits me, I wasnt into abbreviations or anything and all my notes are in separate copies with the fully drawn pics and stuff, but thats not to say they'd suit everybody! Imagine paying that much for french notes and they're crap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 boardbuyer

I agree with you aine!
    I've seen his notes too... they're awful!
    There'a about one folder of them
    All the teachers in our school are raging, they're all their notes.
    He is such a media whore

...He got well over 100 more points then you did?:D.....
    anyway who else here got 7 As?:confused:
    if the notes are so bad then why did he get more points then you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

whiteman19 wrote: »
    Final Bids
    1,100 French
    140 Irish
    192.50 History
    1,020 Maths
    271.87 English
    120 Music

Total 2844.37

so if the people are actually serious, he stands to gain almost €3,000. :eek: doubt he'll actually get it. i pity him if he thinks he'll get all this money.
    Whatever about History, Irish, maybe Maths.. what good are his English notes when they will be on different plays and novels? That amount for French is ludicrous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

boardbuyer wrote: »

I did almost as well (7 subjects, just got a B in art, the one subject I should never have picked) and I can tell you that 'notes' are only a very small part of success. Buying expensive notes that likely came at least in part from teachers (and therefore from sources you could locate for free) is probably a waste. He probably used notes, the internet, his books, friends, teachers etc. to get those grades.

tl;dr notes alone aren't enough. Even if they're brilliant notes it won't get you those grades unless you apply proper learning techniques...and if you're doing that you might as well make out your own notes. Or use Anki!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

I agree... notes are only a small part of the process. Its whats in your head and what comes up on the papers that matter. His notes will be no different to any of those revision books that can be bought for less than a tenner in Easons! ANd the whole point of notes is that the student creates them him or her self and knows them inside and out.
    Im still amazed that this made the headlines! Wonder will there be a follow up on his 'winnings'. Entrepreneur my arse! Total money grabber more like! As if this is like some huge new massive business plan? The next Microsoft for the country. Its quite clear the country has nothing going on to see this type of nonsense makes it on the news and the papers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

JamesJB wrote: »
    tl;dr notes alone aren't enough. Even if they're brilliant notes it won't get you those grades unless you apply proper learning techniques...and if you're doing that you might as well make out your own notes. Or use Anki!
    Okay, lets cut the crap. How much are they paying you? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭YohanCabeye7

whiteman19 wrote: »
    Final Bids
    1,100 French
    140 Irish
    192.50 History
    1,020 Maths
    271.87 English
    120 Music

Total 2844.37

He was on Galway Bay FM news @ 1pm, sounding very happy about the finals bids, so he thinks he's getting the money anyway :eek: so a bit of a shock awaits him.

Still a nice pot if he doesn't get french and Maths, ( which he wont :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭YohanCabeye7

As I speak, they are talking about it on 2fm, convinved he's getting the 3k.

Ultimate proof that getting 600 points doesn't equal high intellect?

Lawliet wrote: »

Yep.
    Okay, lets cut the crap. How much are they paying you?

I only found Anki in late May. It would have made life so much easier...It's a great tool and I just...I don't want anyone else to suffer, is all! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 boardbuyer

did you get 600?:p
    because if thats true then half of the leaving cert students would have got over 500.:pac:
    did they?

Who said anything about me getting 600 points? I was talking about Cillian Fahy

did you get 600?:p
    because if thats true then half of the leaving cert students would have got over 500.:pac:
    did they?

Not too sure what's meant by that, but believe me when I say that academia and regular intellect actually can be mutually exclusive. I've known people to get high points and they wouldn't even identify themselves as intellectuals; they just did well on tests and were studious.

As someone once said (and I honestly cannot recall who) being educated and being intelligent are very different things.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

JamesJB wrote: »
    ... being educated and being intelligent are very different things.
    Indeed ... and neither are automatically linked to having common sense.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Is that you Cillian? :cool:

Your adverts ads also say your based in Clare

Indeed ... and neither are automatically linked to having common sense.
    Oh! I don't suppose we could derail this thread into one where we talk about all the stupid people who got high points?!
    Cause I know this girl who got 550, but four months ago she didn't know what the word 'striker' meant. She also once asked my chemistry teacher how much carbon (as in the actual rock) humans made during respiration. Good god that girl was a moron.

..Sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

And such is the calibre of next year's "freshers"...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What a great idea, I just put up a load of my old JC and LC books online, as well as a bunch of LC essays for English which got me As at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

I never said my notes were better.
    I never boasted about getting on better than Cillian
    I never said I got 7 A's
    There question here isn't one of me getting less pints than Cillian, it's of the quality of the notes
    i'm saying that as an onlooker and somebody else looking at the notes they're impossible to understand?
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There is not a hope of Cillian getting his money.
    When people disagree with auctions they put in fake bids.

Happens in GAA finals and rugby games every single year when people see touting.

Cillian isn't touting of course but the auctions are going to attract time wasters.

Does he realy think he'll get 1,100 euro for French notes?
    Not a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭seany2929

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Oh wow you have to laugh at the naivety of the parents that bidded on the "A1-giving" notes.

Oh wow you have to laugh at the naivety of the parents that bidded on the "A1-giving" notes.
    You can only hope that their kids have more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

He is going to be on tv3 in a few minutes talking about selling the notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

6 sets of notes and he's been paid for 5.

Only one left is the 1,100 for French, he was with Matt Cooper last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

oh wow, people actually paid

Advertisement