Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"A Student" Selling His Notes On eBay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

theowen wrote: »
    I'm the youngest of my friends, literally know no one doing the LC at the mo:rolleyes:

Ah... do you have any younger siblings you could keep them for?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

Ha this is hilarious. I know this guy, in fact I sat beside him for lunch most days. I gave all my notes to my friends cause I want them to do well and not some strangers with loads of money, it saves my friends the expense:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Ah... do you have any younger siblings you could keep them for?
    Nope, youngest in the family too. Is there anyway I could off load them for free on here even? Shame to just throw away these *excellent* notes.

Some are quite crap...

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

If anyone actually has any notes lying around that they're finished wish give me a shout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Is that a thousand Euro or am I going blind? :eek:

Fairplay to the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Everything In Its Right Place

Finical wrote: »
    Is that a thousand Euro or am I going blind? :eek:

Fairplay to the lad.

probably joke bids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

Holy ****! €1000 . WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Someone's got to be taking the p1ss; you could just get a really good grinds teacher for that amount, that would be more to you than a set of notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭loike

the same person is bidding on everything by the looks of it lol (as a joke as well)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If you win a bid, aren't you required to pay for the item?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

LOL. Joke bids. They can't FORCE you to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

What is wrong with that person or indeed anyone paying over 100 euro?

You could put 1000 towards an exchange!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

CianDon wrote: »
    If anyone actually has any notes lying around that they're finished wish give me a shout

oh same here :P :)

Lads, this has to be a joke.
    I feel sorry for him seeing as it seemed to be genuine at the beginning.
    Ah sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭leavingcert

I'm sorry guys but this guy just takes the biscuit.
    Here in Galway he is all over the local papers saying that he doesn't have enough money for college and stuff. He's looking for pity!
    I'd love to know how many folders of notes you'd be getting for a grand?

He's a greedy attention seeking person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Yep just look at the names of the bidders...I dont think he has gotten a single actual bid...and wont now, as the price is far too high.

Ha this is hilarious. I know this guy, in fact I sat beside him for lunch most days. I gave all my notes to my friends cause I want them to do well and not some strangers with loads of money, it saves my friends the expense:)

I agree curly!

He's just looking for attention...
    His facebook status updates are the worst...

Owen, you could give the institute notes to your friends for free - this wouldn't be illegal (afaik) and they would be glad of them, although I got a lend of some institute notes off one of my friends before and I didn't think much of them. Some swear by them though.

True.. you need to be thought with the notes.
    Notes by themselves are worthless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 An Fear Bocht

I think a few armchair judges ought to get down off their moral high-chairs and stop acting as if they know what's right and wrong. This situation is really quite simple - he's a man selling his study notes on Ebay. A rather straightforward business transaction. Whoever bids the most gets his notes, the seller gets his money, everybody's happy. How he's "greedy" and "attention seeking" or how the buyer is "extremely stupid" is unknown to me; €1,000 is clearly way too much, but the starting price of €40 would actually have been a steal, provided that the notes are neat and don't make omissions. It's his right to put his own notes up for sale and anyone who believe they can gain from these notes are more than entitled to bid.

We have to remember that not everybody's notes are scribbly and untidy; some people go through a fair bit of effort to make detailed and easy-to-understand notes. I don't know the seller and therefore haven't seen his notes, but if they are as described, I can imagine that someone will find them quite helpful next year.

A few people seem to be going under the assumption that the buyer is going to rely solely on these notes for an A1; I think whoever buys them will already have copped on to the fact that there's more to it than just notes. The notes for sale are simply a condensed and concise version of the syllabus designed to save time and catalyse revision - if someone wants to take this shortcut, so what? The eventual buyer does of course have class to go to and homework to do, hence he/she will probably have a good foundation of knowledge. One poster attempted to make the link between somebody buying these notes and not having the ability to take notes in college; going by that logic, I suppose anyone who uses their big brother/sisters' study notes is simply waiting to be shown up and found out once they go to college. The notion simply doesn't add up; using someone else's notes is simply not proof that they themselves were incapable in the first place. One can spend hours and hours taking notes - if they're already available at the right price, who are we to judge them for snapping up the opportunity?

I will have to join the many people in this thread saying fairplay - at least he's using his initiative, which is not exactly ubiquitous among young people these days. I can expect that when the auction ends that he will be a happy man selling his notes to happy customers for a tidy sum of money; the amount of money will inevitably be absurd, but to be honest, that's not really our concern. For all involved, they'll come out of it with something they originally lacked - money for the seller and concise notes for the buyers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Those bids are a joke. They're coming from the same person or group of people. Poor lad. What started as a genuine thing has now become a farce and I doubt any of those bids will actually be paid up. At this rate, by the time the auction ends he'll be getting a million per subject! Cant help but laugh. Nice idea but he should have kept it local, to his past school or something and set the bids a bit lower. 40 euros for the lot might have been acceptable but 40 per subject? Chancer. Nice try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

felic wrote: »
    40 euros for the lot might have been acceptable but 40 per subject? Chancer. Nice try though.
    Especially considering you can get revision books for under a tenner. No one even knows what these notes are like. I got an A1 in biology, but that doesn't mean my notes are worth 40 euro, I wouldn't even charge someone the price of the hardback; they're a mess, totally useless to anyone else!

I don't know the seller and therefore haven't seen his notes, but if they are as described, I can imagine that someone will find them quite helpful next year.

According to spin, you are the seller "an Fear Bocht"

• Registered Users Posts: 32 philip___

that guy will be uber rich in bout three days, the current bid for the french ones is 1100 euro..feck sake! soo not worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 An Fear Bocht

According to spin, you are the seller "an Fear Bocht"

Eh, do explain; or is that meant to be some kind of subtle snark at my post? If you were trying to say something, you haven't expressed it clearly; what do you mean by spin? Spin 103.8 (what they'd be doing quoting my post I can't imagine)? If your post is intended to be an underhand swipe at me, then I very much suggest that you grow up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I very much suggest ye all calm down, or this thread will be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 tkeane

Personally, I found it better to make my own notes. Had a better understanding and was able to add my own comments and abbreviations. Also, remembering things using the first letter of each word helped me. For example in Biology, the four main plant tissues are: Dermal, Ground, Vascular and Meristematic. I remembered it by saying Dogs Get Very Mad.

Remember don't give up, this time next year it will all be done and dusted and you have, perhaps, years of college to look forward to. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Why the **** are the media advertising rubbish like this? Surely there are better things to ramble on about than some attention depraved child who's basically telling people "40 quid and you've got your A in the arse pocket, no questions asked". The amount of people i know this year who went to Leeson street for grinds expecting an A1 (such as English) and coming out with C1's and B3's is beyond belief, yet we have the Independent telling us that 40 quid will get you that oh so coveted A grade...go on the Irish media, I love to read funny **** like that, gives me a good laugh.

Eh, do explain; or is that meant to be some kind of subtle snark at my post? If you were trying to say something, you haven't expressed it clearly; what do you mean by spin? Spin 103.8 (what they'd be doing quoting my post I can't imagine)? If your post is intended to be an underhand swipe at me, then I very much suggest that you grow up.

I agree with randyhorn, calm down

you were on spin today and referring to yourself as "an fear bocht" so clearly it is you blowing your own trumpet, calm down i just wanted other posters to know that you are this Cillian Fahy of the notes fame

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I agree with randyhorn, calm down

you were on spin today and referring to yourself as "an fear bocht" so clearly it is you blowing your own trumpet, calm down i just wanted other posters to know that you are this Cillian Fahy of the notes fame
    Em, because the guy on spin referred to himself as "an fear bocht" (the poor man) doesn't mean that the user here is the same person.

It's hardly an uncommon phrase!

Advertisement