Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Anyone notice since his stint in the UK, he seems to have adopted the BBC accent?
    Ironic, as he earlier accused a very annoying J1 visa returnee of picking up the jersey shore accent!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

http://www.herald.ie/incoming/embattled-tubridys-got-just-16-weeks-to-save-his-two-jobs-2864318.html

Ryan Tubridy has between now and Christmas to save his career.

His radio listenership has plummeted to a point where the man himself has been forced to admit he's in trouble.

And if it wasn't for the recession stopping a huge chunk of the country going out on a Friday night, the Late Late Show would probably be in a similar position.

So the pull-out by Sinead O'Connor from tomorrow's season opener is the last thing Tubridy needs.

And any bravado about no publicity being bad publicity is, in this case, bull***t.

Tubridy desperately needs to start the new season with a show that will get people talking. Sinead O'Connor chatting about her highly publicised search for a mate might have made for car crash television.

It might have been uncomfortable (for the host as well as the viewers) or felt intrusive or been plain entertaining.

Fluffed

But it would have got people watching -- and talking about the show that in its heyday set the agenda for the Sunday papers.

Last time that happened was for all the wrong reasons.

Tubridy let pop music's former Mr Clean, Ronan Keating, off the hook by avoiding the one question everyone at home was shouting at the telly -- why did you do the dirt on Yvonne?

It was a golden opportunity -- and Tubridy fluffed it.

There was also the interview with Mark Pollock. He fell from a balcony but Tubridy never asked the circumstances of him falling. Was he just embarrassed? Or is it that he couldn't give a hoot about viewer curiosity; that's he above all that?

So he's going back to the Late Late studio tomorrow still smarting from the criticism over the last few seasons.

Back against the wall, he now must also live up to his very public commitment to take his radio show by the scruff of the neck and turn it round.

As if that wasn't enough pressure, RTE bosses have finally shown that they're willing to pass over the 'stars' if they think someone else can do a better job.

The Voice is a long way from the flagship that is the Late Late. But RTE's decision to plump for Kathryn Thomas for the show rather than Grainne Seoige as presenter is significant. The general consensus was that the job was Grainne's -- and in the pre-Noel Curran/Steve Carson management era, pre-recession, more comfortable environment, it might well have been.

Not any more.

The long-cherished tradition of someone having a right to a gig because they've been around longer, or are paid more, or did well in the past, is breaking down.

Obscene

Then there's the issue of how much the RTE stars are paid.

In the heady days, when ad revenue was rolling in, and we got used to paying our politicians and public servants mad money out of the public purse, the station could justify obscene salaries to its stars on the basis that they could be lured away by rivals for bigger salaries.

That justification collapsed round about the time the economy did.

The replacement of Marian Finucane with Claire Byrne for nine weeks this summer should send another shiver along the spines of the big earners.

Byrne did a spectacularly successful job -- making the show her own for those couple of months -- and on a fraction of the salary Finucane is paid.

Most of the big-name broadcasters are on contracts which come up for renegotiation every couple of years.

None of them -- including Tubridy and Finucane -- are going to be able to take for granted that they'll remain in the big money league.

RTE can't afford to devote a prime morning radio slot, five days a week, to a show that's bleeding listeners at a near fatal rate.

In these pressurised days, they're going to find it hard to give Tubs more than a few months more before they're forced to step in.

One way or another, as he tucks into the turkey on Christmas Day, Tubs is going to know whether he has done the job or not. And that's a ferocious amount of pressure.

Is he up to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

jimmynokia wrote: »
    http://www.herald.ie/incoming/embattled-tubridys-got-just-16-weeks-to-save-his-two-jobs-2864318.html

His radio listenership has plummeted to a point where the man himself has been forced to admit he's in trouble.

And if it wasn't for the recession stopping a huge chunk of the country going out on a Friday night, the Late Late Show would probably be in a similar position.

So the pull-out by Sinead O'Connor from tomorrow's season opener is the last thing Tubridy needs.

And any bravado about no publicity being bad publicity is, in this case, bull***t.

Tubridy desperately needs to start the new season with a show that will get people talking. Sinead O'Connor chatting about her highly publicised search for a mate might have made for car crash television.

It might have been uncomfortable (for the host as well as the viewers) or felt intrusive or been plain entertaining.

Fluffed

But it would have got people watching -- and talking about the show that in its heyday set the agenda for the Sunday papers.

Tubridy let pop music's former Mr Clean, Ronan Keating, off the hook by avoiding the one question everyone at home was shouting at the telly -- why did you do the dirt on Yvonne?

There was also the interview with Mark Pollock. He fell from a balcony but Tubridy never asked the circumstances of him falling. Was he just embarrassed? Or is it that he couldn't give a hoot about viewer curiosity; that's he above all that?

So he's going back to the Late Late studio tomorrow still smarting from the criticism over the last few seasons.

Back against the wall, he now must also live up to his very public commitment to take his radio show by the scruff of the neck and turn it round.

As if that wasn't enough pressure, RTE bosses have finally shown that they're willing to pass over the 'stars' if they think someone else can do a better job.

The Voice is a long way from the flagship that is the Late Late. But RTE's decision to plump for Kathryn Thomas for the show rather than Grainne Seoige as presenter is significant. The general consensus was that the job was Grainne's -- and in the pre-Noel Curran/Steve Carson management era, pre-recession, more comfortable environment, it might well have been.

Not any more.

The long-cherished tradition of someone having a right to a gig because they've been around longer, or are paid more, or did well in the past, is breaking down.

Obscene

In the heady days, when ad revenue was rolling in, and we got used to paying our politicians and public servants mad money out of the public purse, the station could justify obscene salaries to its stars on the basis that they could be lured away by rivals for bigger salaries.

The replacement of Marian Finucane with Claire Byrne for nine weeks this summer should send another shiver along the spines of the big earners.

Byrne did a spectacularly successful job -- making the show her own for those couple of months -- and on a fraction of the salary Finucane is paid.

Most of the big-name broadcasters are on contracts which come up for renegotiation every couple of years.

None of them -- including Tubridy and Finucane -- are going to be able to take for granted that they'll remain in the big money league.

RTE can't afford to devote a prime morning radio slot, five days a week, to a show that's bleeding listeners at a near fatal rate.

In these pressurised days, they're going to find it hard to give Tubs more than a few months more before they're forced to step in.

One way or another, as he tucks into the turkey on Christmas Day, Tubs is going to know whether he has done the job or not. And that's a ferocious amount of pressure.

Is he up to it?

I think you underestimate the power of the suits in RTE to keep paying the talent with licence payers money, and ignore the ratings. I'll bet Tubridy will still be on air come january 2012, irrespective of where the ratings go.

Not this time i think RTE may be finally saying hey look he has lost ratings again.
    Also people are sick of the american presidents,jelly beans,ladies shoes,madmen,boxsets talk etc etc etc.
    In saying that it was books and shoes on the agenda today
    And again butting into hectors show then introducing colin hayes,sounds like he is trying to take over the place,NOT HAPPENING TUBS sorry....

• Advertisement

Poly wrote: »
    Anyone notice since his stint in the UK, he seems to have adopted the BBC accent?
    Ironic, as he earlier accused a very annoying J1 visa returnee of picking up the jersey shore accent!

yep i sure did ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I can see it now..

tubs_january2012_1.jpg

I can see it now..

tubs_january2012_1.jpg

excellent only you man class tesco tubs lol! oops no superquinn:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭barneygumble

Tubridy and Joe Public in close proximity?

Hope nobody kicks him if they are overcharged :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Fluffed

Not any more.

Obscene

Is he up to it?

No he not :)

My fingers are crosed that Dave will get the slot or Colim gets the full gig.

BBC are welcome to Ryan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaMb95DMaHTWuUn8sq8dQvvxt-uUejkbMwRRvZ_VLgDChQ2174

Typical evening herald...i think that article is a bit harsh...I just think DLB is in the wrong job at the minute...i don't wish him any ill will, none of us want to be in the wrong job!

Typical evening herald...i think that article is a bit harsh...I just think DLB is in the wrong job at the minute...i don't wish him any ill will, none of us want to be in the wrong job!

I wouldn't mind being in the wrong job while being paid €500k

ahhhhh...i never even thought of that....yeah f*k im...

ha i think your right who would not be :D

Aidric wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaMb95DMaHTWuUn8sq8dQvvxt-uUejkbMwRRvZ_VLgDChQ2174

ah aint that sweet...

ahhhhh...i never even thought of that....yeah f*k im...
    LOL caught out there boy :D

Was stuck in a place today where the radio was not mine and muppet ryan was on..

There was a woman on the show talking about having 4 kids and all she has to do... FOR 20 MINS :eek:

Ryan said that there was loads of support trough text for her :confused:

Is it me or are Rte really that thick that they ar wondering why they are losing listeners with this S&ite on.. I MEAN 20 MINS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Justask wrote: »
    Was stuck in a place today where the radio was not mine and muppet ryan was on..

There was a woman on the show talking about having 4 kids and all she has to do... FOR 20 MINS :eek:

Ryan said that there was loads of support trough text for her :confused:

Is it me or are Rte really that thick that they ar wondering why they are losing listeners with this S&ite on.. I MEAN 20 MINS

Sure G. Ryan did this type of thing the whole time...

...except he was good at it.

telekon wrote: »
    Sure G. Ryan did this type of thing the whole time...

...except he was good at it.

No Gerry was in a different league altogether ;)

• Advertisement

Our Hero up early this morning, using RTE studios to meet his BBC obligations

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01409vc

What's that Poly, you reckon he's broadcasting the show from here??

What's that Poly, you reckon he's broadcasting the show from here??

Yep, using license fee funded studios to cover his second job, lazy git should have been up early and on the first flight to London.

EDIT: Not sure how you do the screen grab Jon, but his agent kindly let us know:

http://twitter.com/#!/nkmanagement

http://www.nkmanagement.ie/portfolio

Yep, using license fee funded studios to cover his second job, lazy git should have been up early and on the first flight to London.

RTE are letting him moonlight in their studios ffs talk about having it fcukin handy.

EDIT: Not sure how you do the screen grab Jon, but his agent kindly let us know:

http://www.nkmanagement.ie/portfolio

i just had to comment on that fcuk it LOL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01409vc

Jokeshop.
    Riding the licence payer.

mikom wrote: »
    Jokeshop.
    Riding the licence payer.

He will be doing it from home next.

noelkelly.jpg

Jaysus seems like nothing is too much for Golden Boy.. I wonder who is paying for studio time, and the staff to run it.. Maybe he gets secretarial expenses like Bertie..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

He will be doing it from home next.

I doubt that as he's got no studio at home. Don't see what the issue is with him broadcasting from studios in RTE. I doubt very much that its a freebee especially if Noel Kelly is tweeting to let the world know.

• Advertisement

bbability wrote: »
    I doubt that as he's got no studio at home. Don't see what the issue is with him broadcasting from studios in RTE. I doubt very much that its a freebee especially if Noel Kelly is tweeting to let the world know.

Lets be honest here bbability,RTE have paid for him to go to las vegas to film a bit of stuff for a prize for the audience,are you going to tell me that that's not a waste of taxpayers money.
    Plus the fact that you can easily pull them kind of clips for FREE on the net.

COME ON....ANY THING IS POSSIBLE FOR GOLDEN BOY
    that includes a home studio

Advertisement