Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I read in one of the weekend red tops that he will try to get the listeners back or he will quit

In any other job he would be fired

He won't be fired that's for sure...that would mean that those who decided to give him the job were wrong about his talent after all. They'd prefer to see the numbers fall and fall and try ever more desperate changes than admit they were wrong about him...and like he said, he'll quit before that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Rubik. wrote: »
    Front page headline of today's Irish Daily Mail...

"Tubridy: I'll quit if ratings dip again."

It's not exactly what he said though. The actual quote...

"Of course, there's a point where I would have to seriously consider giving up the 2fm show. If the figures continued to drop, I would seriously consider everything. But I don't think it's going to be an issue that I'll have to go into the bosses and say I've dragged the show down too much. My philosophy is that we are going to come out and make it better."

He went to say things like .."grab it by the scruff of the neck"..."shake it up"

I have a feeling that Tubridy Show is about to get a whole lot more desperate/crap.

He's probably pre-empting the situation by quitting before he can get the sack. I don't know where he's going to get the new listeners from. It's obvious why so many people have switched him off - they don't like his style, which has been over-indulged by his 2FM bosses to the point where there is only a small minority of the morning audience who are actually interested in JFK, Jimmy Stewart, Mad Men, books and bon bons.

I was up in Downpatrick on Saturday so listened to a couple of hours of his show on BBC Radio 2. Oddly enough I quite liked it. He didn't seem too obsessive about his personal interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

The guy just dont make me want to listen to him (if I could).The BBC show is just more of the same s... Though Fanning is no better, nether is Colm Hayes or John Murray of R1 either, I could go on...so most people on RTE are no good anyhow......................except Joseph Duffy (needless to say;):P)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think Dave fanning is doing very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I think Dave fanning is doing very well.

+ 1

Yea, Dave's great. Think he has more in common with the target audience, the 'typical Irish housewife' (ugh...) than Tubridy, life experience and all that.

Dave's the cool, more knowledgeable older brother whereas Tubridy is that annoying, nerdy little brother who won't stop following you around.

nobody has come in here complaining that all we do is listen to Dave Fanning and run on here and praise him!!

nobody has come in here complaining that all we do is listen to Dave Fanning and run on here and praise him!!

US!!!...liking an RTE presenter????!!!???

...surely not!! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

telekon wrote: »
    US!!!...liking an RTE presenter????!!!???

...surely not!! :eek::eek::eek:

And upping the ante even further ...

This forum?! Liking anything?!

Though I have been on here myself praising Sean Moncrieff a few times :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

He's on the front of the RTE guide this week.. I'm sure that in the interview inside they gave him a grilling about his ratings.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

He's on the front of the RTE guide this week.. I'm sure that in the interview inside they gave him a grilling about his ratings.. ;)

You didn't read the article? Are his listenership ratings particularly noteworthy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

easychair wrote: »
    You didn't read the article? Are his listenership ratings particularly noteworthy?

Just saw it on the news stand as I was waiting in the checkout line.. Didnt seem to be any particular angle to the story.. Think it was just the perennial pre Late Late Show season interview..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ekat

Read the RTE Guide feature today.
    In response to any negative comments he gets as a broadcaster, he said he just wants to "enjoy the goodwill that is out there". A quote: "I have this great sense of calm, I am really happy with the world. I don't mind critics, I understand them. I don't mind bad press, I understand it, and it's a great place to be because I can just relax and enjoy my job even more".

Specifically about the radio show he acknowledged the loss in listeners but brought up the fact that it's an hour shorter again, and "we are still a baby and we will grow."

That's basically it really. He doesn't exactly say no to running for President one day, says he's already measured the curtains in the Aras, promises that the Late Late this year will be even better and he refuses to divulge any information about his personal life. Same old Tubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Ekat wrote: »
    A quote: "I have this great sense of calm, I am really happy with the world. I don't mind critics, I understand them. I don't mind bad press, I understand it, and it's a great place to be because I can just relax and enjoy my job even more".

Yep Ryan,RTE is a pretty magical place, no matter how sh1t you are a your job,in the worst recession in living memory, you still earn €500k.

Something is really fcuked up in Montrose

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Poly wrote: »
    Yep Ryan,RTE is a pretty magical place, no matter how sh1t you are a your job,in the worst recession in living memory, you still earn €500k.

Something is really fcuked corrupt up in Montrose

Great segment Dave did this morning on the best bass riffs and bassists. Delighted Pino Padellino got a mention but how the hell did John Entwistle from the Who get no mention :confused::confused: (well, in the bit I heard anyway which was most of it)

Bit miffed he never mentioned my text suggesting 'Music for Chameleons' by Gary Numan as the best bass riff ever. Dave, I spread the love for you on here, it would have been the least you could do...well, I just suppose Gary Numan suggestions aren't that 'hip' or 'cool' anymore.

*Sigh* :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Bit miffed he never mentioned my text suggesting 'Music for Chameleons' by Gary Numan as the best bass riff ever. Dave, I spread the love for you on here, it would have been the least you could do...well, I just suppose Gary Numan suggestions aren't that 'hip' or 'cool' anymore.

*Sigh* :(

Tubridy?

mikom wrote: »

I knew Partridge had done that before but honestly had completely forgotten so despite the massive coincidence, it was not deliberate...unfortunately. Would have been proud of that one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Have to admit I found myself laughing outloud this morning with Dave when he was attempting to tell the story of the guy who lost the mattress. :D

miketv wrote: »
    Have to admit I found myself laughing outloud this morning with Dave when he was attempting to tell the story of the guy who lost the mattress. :D

Have you ever even raised a smile with anything Tubridy has ever said?

...I thought not.

Dave Fanning as permanent host in the 9-11 slot please 2FM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Yes I think I can safely say he has never made me laugh, maybe smile... actually no, well... in a Alan Partridge way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Have you ever even raised a smile with anything Tubridy has ever said?

...I thought not.

Dave Fanning as permanent host in the 9-11 slot please 2FM.

Been listening to dave the last two weeks and it seems he loves surveys,and that laugh of his well!
    Anyway he is better than tubs and should be left there full stop...:D
    Even knob nation loves taking the p1ss out of dave and he laughs,he has a sense of humour anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lacase

The sooner everyone turns off the better a crap programme

lacase wrote: »
    The sooner everyone turns off the better a crap programme

can add some input rather than that

I used to tune in now and again..for partridge comedy reasons...however since i tuned in last week and found i actually enjoyed Dave Fanning..i will not be tuning in again ...and as for all that "this show is a baby it will grow"....

yeah lads...keep telling yourself that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

the newwwwwwwwwwwwww producers...amazing new idea for ryan isssssss....wait for it...to start palying the song...THEN ...talking over it a little bit...then rising up those faders ...and ,,,,

lol..this i have to say ...has changed the show in an amazingly "not improved way " at all.

THE RTE BIG WIGS WERE UP ALL NIGHT THINKING OF THAT ONE...

UTTER SH1TE!!!

macroboy wrote: »
    the newwwwwwwwwwwwww producers...amazing new idea for ryan isssssss....wait for it...to start palying the song...THEN ...talking over it a little bit...then rising up those faders ...and ,,,,

lol..this i have to say ...has changed the show in an amazingly "not improved way " at all.

THE RTE BIG WIGS WERE UP ALL NIGHT THINKING OF THAT ONE...

UTTER SH1TE!!!

Dont think i heard any of his favourite words today how odd!but there was a roll play scenario he was going on like a 2 year old
    first day back and all that it will be back to square one tomorrow..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Dont think i heard any of his favourite words today how odd!but there was a roll play scenario he was going on like a 2 year old
    first day back and all that it will be back to square one tomorrow..

the role play was utter sh1te

macroboy wrote: »
    the role play was utter sh1te

nothing has changed really.....i missed the first 15 mins so he could of got everything in then lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭mbur

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Been listening to dave the last two weeks and it seems he loves surveys,and that laugh of his well!
    Anyway he is better than tubs and should be left there full stop...:D
    Even knob nation loves taking the p1ss out of dave and he laughs,he has a sense of humour anyway..
    Whereas mr tubs seems to be able to just about tolerate Nob Nation as long as he is not in Oliver's Sights. I can't believe I actually used to like R.T. These days he just drive me away. Another Ray and Tom clone in the making here. With the current set of cringe worthy horrors on mid morning radio a CD/mp3 player is essential. Dave was doing a much better job.

Advertisement