Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭georgesstreet

jmcc wrote: »
    The market?

Regards...jmcc

Sure, and currently the market is paying Tubridys salary. RTE is part of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sure, and currently the market is paying Tubridys salary. RTE is part of the market.
    RTE is losing money. Take away the licence fee and RTE would probably have to close most of its stations and drop a lot of programming. It would be unlikely that other radio stations would offer Tubridy the same salary for a radio programme. The problem for RTE is that it has sunk so much money into promoting his "talents" that it has to try recover some of it from advertising on his shows. If it fires him, then it has absolutely no chance of recovering any of that money.

Regards...jmcc

RTE is losing money. Take away the licence fee and RTE would probably have to close most of its stations and drop a lot of programming. It would be unlikely that other radio stations would offer Tubridy the same salary for a radio programme. The problem for RTE is that it has sunk so much money into promoting his "talents" that it has to try recover some of it from advertising on his shows. If it fires him, then it has absolutely no chance of recovering any of that money.

Regards...jmcc

So lets hope that the new tax comes in, and lets hope someone lodges a complaint with the EU competition commissioner and RTE loses a lot if its revenue.

Until then...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

So lets hope that the new tax comes in, and lets hope someone lodges a complaint with the EU competition commissioner and RTE loses a lot if its revenue.

Until then...
    you're not a fan of RTE?

you're not a fan of RTE?

Why do you want to make this about me? I don't see RTE in black and white terms, nor do I think all RTE does is "good" or "bad"

As it happens, the way RTE is funded is an issue, and I hope that if the new tax comes in that means the EU competition commissioner will take an interest in the situation, which results in the tax being either abandoned, or spread equitably amongst many broadcasters, and not just RTE.

I can well imagine O'Brien or others will take a case to the EU commissioner if the "voluntary" licence is scrapped in favour of a tax, and I look forward to that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

R and T are in the title of this thread but it's not about RTE. Please take that discussion to another thread

Anything exciting on this tubs this morning? Darcy was the more appealing option today.

Anything exciting on this tubs this morning? Darcy was the more appealing option today.

Surely this thread is about Tubridy, and not Darcy? :D

Surely this thread is about Tubridy, and not Darcy? :D
    I missed it this morning...anything interesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

So losing almost half the audience from a once successful radio programme is an accomplishment.......

Regards...jmcc

To be fair, Gerry Ryan lost 2fm the audience. It was the presenter that was popular and had built up a loyal audience over 22 years, not the show as such.

A new presenter doesn't just take over the audience.

Everybody can see the JNLR's are a problem. But some people just can’t wait to bury the hatchet into somebody's back. Usually the receiver of the hatchet makes a nice bit of cash.

Why not give the team a chance to recover, why root for failure and ultimately the removal of Tubridy. What difference does it make to you if he gets another 6 months? If you don't listen to him it's no real burden is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

RTE is losing money. Take away the licence fee and RTE would probably have to close most of its stations and drop a lot of programming. It would be unlikely that other radio stations would offer Tubridy the same salary for a radio programme.

Regards...jmcc

1) Take away the licence fee and RTE would probably have to close most of its stations.
    Obviously. RTE have a dual funding system because of our small population. They could not survive on ad revenue alone. That's why the license fee here is lower than in the UK.
    Ireland TV Licence: €160
    UK TV Licence: €174

The BBC received €4.3 billion last year from TV licence payers.

2) ....unlikely other radio stations would offer Tubridy the same salary

Same was said about Pat Kenny. He's now in Newstalk earning €2 million just for radio work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

More Music wrote: »
    Same was said about Pat Kenny. He's now in Newstalk earning €2 million just for radio work.
    Just to clarify - that's 2 million over five years, or 400K per annum. Your point is still valid though, but only, IMO wrt Pat Kenny. With D'Arcy in his stable already, DOB is not going to fork out money for someone who has 80,000 fewer listeners.

To be fair, Gerry Ryan lost 2fm the audience. It was the presenter that was popular and had built up a loyal audience over 22 years, not the show as such.

A new presenter doesn't just take over the audience.

Everybody can see the JNLR's are a problem. But some people just can’t wait to bury the hatchet into somebody's back. Usually the receiver of the hatchet makes a nice bit of cash.

Why not give the team a chance to recover, why root for failure and ultimately the removal of Tubridy. What difference does it make to you if he gets another 6 months? If you don't listen to him it's no real burden is it.
    how long would you say is fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭jmcc

Why not give the team a chance to recover, why root for failure and ultimately the removal of Tubridy.
    He's lost market share year after year. To support him in his current slot is rooting for failure. It is supposed to be a radio station competing in a market with other radio stations. Tubridy has continually lost market share year over year. The station really needs to get its priorities right.

Regards...jmcc

If RTE looked to it's own staff to reverse the decline on tubs slot i think dave fanning would get things moving again.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

If RTE looked to it's own staff to reverse the decline on tubs slot i think dave fanning would get things moving again.

I think that Dave is a bit old in fairness. He is grand as cover but I would doubt that he would even be interested in taking the role on a full-time basis. Two possibilities who I would consider would be Nikki Hayes or Paul Martin from the Irish Mirror. Nikki would appeal to the housewife market and has been through depression etc. so she would have the empathy to deal with callers while Paul would fit in with the tabloid nature of the show. Paul is a bit of a wildcard, but he is very young and very controversial. He is like a young Gerry Ryan.

I listened to a bit of his show today. (Rte1 was boring, Pat Kenny has been overtaken by advertisements which makes his show less enjoyable) and it was great. Tubridy seemed, natural and seemed to be enjoying the segment and he held my attention and made me smile for about 15 minutes. Lets hope its the start of the turnaround for the show.

I listened to a bit of his show today. (Rte1 was boring, Pat Kenny has been overtaken by advertisements which makes his show less enjoyable) and it was great. Tubridy seemed, natural and seemed to be enjoying the segment and he held my attention and made me smile for about 15 minutes. Lets hope its the start of the turnaround for the show.
    we'll let him away with calling Bishop casey's son a woman!!

we'll let him away with calling Bishop casey's son a woman!!

I missed that but it sounds like fun too. Maybe he is turning the corner and lets all hope so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Fanning would bore the rust off a nail..................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

DT100 wrote: »
    Fanning would bore the rust off a nail..................

Fanning has a very limited topic range, unless he's doing lists about "Best ever intros" or "Tribute bands with mildly humorous names".

Beats JFK and jellybeans!

Beats JFK and jellybeans!

It's not a competition between one or the other and we have hundreds of choices across the dial.

I was looking at his show's Facebook page and he seems to have increased his number of followers from 26,500 to 27,145 overnight. Could he have bought followers or something because it seems unbelievable? He was using his numbers of followers on Facebook on a brochure sent to companies in order to procure advertising. Also, is anyone else getting sick of him mentioning the LLS and especially the toy show on 2fm? He is promoting his book on air too. It looks like something that could have been copied and pasted from the internet, celebrity drivel. He was on Mooney last week and he said that he wants an avuncular relationship with Terry Wogan, something like he had with Gerry and that she is his elegant rock. I mean he is in his forties.

ghiertal wrote: »
    I was looking at his show's Facebook page and he seems to have increased his number of followers from 26,500 to 27,145 overnight. Could he have bought followers or something because it seems unbelievable? He was using his numbers of followers on Facebook on a brochure sent to companies in order to procure advertising. Also, is anyone else getting sick of him mentioning the LLS and especially the toy show on 2fm? He is promoting his book on air too. It looks like something that could have been copied and pasted from the internet, celebrity drivel. He was on Mooney last week and he said that he wants an avuncular relationship with Terry Wogan, something like he had with Gerry and that she is his elegant rock. I mean he is in his forties.

i am curious. Why do you listen to his show and know all those intimate details, if you so obviously don't enjoy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

'

i am curious. Why do you listen to his show and know all those intimate details, if you so obviously don't enjoy it?

Ok, he is up another 1000 followers on Facebook in the last 2 days, over 28k. It seems very odd and contrived. He must be buying followers. Brendan O'Connor is getting very close to him now on the LLS. There was always a massive gap, usually of 5 or 6 hundred thousand. He has nothing left now except the Toy Show. Rte will have to do something. He joined Facebook in August 2010, how could he increase by 10 pc in a few days having been there for years. His second post was :Wedges? Or no wedges? Tomorrow - women's footwear, in all its forms. Feedback necessary and welcome, friends

his number of followers on facebook is 28,098; just so we can keep an eye on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Ok, he is up another 1000 followers on Facebook in the last 2 days, over 28k. It seems very odd and contrived. He must be buying followers. Brendan O'Connor is getting very close to him now on the LLS. There was always a massive gap, usually of 5 or 6 hundred thousand. He has nothing left now except the Toy Show. Rte will have to do something. He joined Facebook in August 2010, how could he increase by 10 pc in a few days having been there for years. His second post was :Wedges? Or no wedges? Tomorrow - women's footwear, in all its forms. Feedback necessary and welcome, friends

Have you any hobbies you could take up?

You sound obsessed with him!

Have you any hobbies you could take up?

You sound obsessed with him!

Do you not find his Facebook page odd? It has gone up by another 4 in the last fifteen minutes. We are entitled to better than Tubridy, that's the interest I have in the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Do you not find his Facebook page odd? It has gone up by another 4 in the last fifteen minutes. We are entitled to better than Tubridy, that's the interest I have in the matter.

No!

Stalking would not.be on my to do list for the day!

Advertisement