Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,931 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

good piece there with the singer from Chvrches, discussing the male dominated online abuse she gets...only caught the start and it was heavy stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

How is he allowed get away with broadcasting a segment that mentions clitoral stimulation, butt plugs, cock rings and double sided vibrators at ten o'clock in the morning and yesterday he asked a woman does she do "the other" with her father-in-law sleeping in the next room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

ghiertal wrote: »
    How is he allowed get away with broadcasting a segment that mentions clitoral stimulation, butt plugs, cock rings and double sided vibrators at ten o'clock in the morning and yesterday he asked a woman does she do "the other" with her father-in-law sleeping in the next room.

Haha, it's funny because you just know he's hating every minute of this tactless, second rate, piss poor Gerry Ryan show imitation.

You Ryan, are no Gerry Ryan...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

telekon wrote: »
    Haha, it's funny because you just know he's hating every minute of this tactless, second rate, piss poor Gerry Ryan show imitation.

He's probably doing it deliberately as a desperate 'come and rescue me from this' plea to BBC Radio 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Edgy and cool Ryan............. AKA Try hard Ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Expunge

He's probably doing it deliberately as a desperate 'come and rescue me from this' plea to BBC Radio 2.

I see Patrick Kielty is on for Chris Evans this week. Maybe BBC R2 have forgotten about him?

Expunge wrote: »
    I see Patrick Kielty is on for Chris Evans this week. Maybe BBC R2 have forgotten about him?
    Tubbins is off next week. Genny Greene is covering him so it will be interesting to see if he will be on auntie. He wasn't popular over there so I would say no, that he won't be on. How does he feel that it's ok to ask a woman who came on the show to talk about her overweight child, if she does "the other" with her father-in-law sleeping next door when he won't talk about anything in his own private life? It's almost impossible to think of a more intrusive, degrading question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Expunge

No sign of him on the website schedules for the coming week.

I listen to the Chris Evans breakfast show nearly every day so I've listened to Tubridy a few times on BBC Radio 2 and what struck me each time was that he didn't seem to have the breezyness about him to carry off a Radio 2 gig.

When the sports guy, Vassos Alexander and the traffic presenter, Lynn Bowles have bags more personality that you do as the host, you know you've got a problem.
    That's not to say he doesn't have good qualities as a presenter but BBC Radio 2 - the ultimate personality driven station?
    The home of Chris Evans, Steve Wright, Ken Bruce, Simon Mayo etc.?
    Nah - Tubridy doesn't fit in that league in my opinion.

His agent Noel Kelly is some man to even get Tubridy in the door there. Kelly should get a go at being Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Expunge wrote: »
    No sign of him on the website schedules for the coming week.

I listen to the Chris Evans breakfast show nearly every day so I've listened to Tubridy a few times on BBC Radio 2 and what struck me each time was that he didn't seem to have the breezyness about him to carry off a Radio 2 gig.

When the sports guy, Vassos Alexander and the traffic presenter, Lynn Bowles have bags more personality that you do as the host, you know you've got a problem.
    That's not to say he doesn't have good qualities as a presenter but BBC Radio 2 - the ultimate personality driven station?
    The home of Chris Evans, Steve Wright, Ken Bruce, Simon Mayo etc.?
    Nah - Tubridy doesn't fit in that league in my opinion.

His agent Noel Kelly is some man to even get Tubridy in the door there. Kelly should get a go at being Taoiseach.

But they must rate him, and listeners must be taking to him, if they keep asking him back. As I said somewhere upthread, the Brits have a liking for the 'posh Paddy' broadcaster, and even if Tubridy isn't a superstar in the making over there, I reckon there could be a permanent gig in the offing for him on R2 at some point.

He is trying to get more cheap publicity for himself by saying that he won't wear a jumper on the Toy Show. This is the fourth year in a row that he has started this nonsense. Dustin was right when he said that Tubridy is only good at the Toy show and rubbish all the other shows.

He said: “When I got The Late Late Show and did the Toy Show for the first time I did at one stage suggest a few weeks before it that maybe I’ll just ditch the jumper.
    “And then the response. But now this time I am toying with the idea of getting rid of the jumper for the shirt.
    “People are quite angry. I will have to come up with a way around it.”

So childish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

He is trying to get more cheap publicity for himself by saying that he won't wear a jumper on the Toy Show. This is the fourth year in a row that he has started this nonsense. ...

“But now this time I am toying with the idea of getting rid of the jumper for the shirt.
    “People are quite angry”
    Enough, you egomaniac. People don't give a sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

serfboard wrote: »
    Enough, you egomaniac. People don't give a sh1t.

Who? Ghiertal or Tubridy? ;):D

I've said this before in relation to him.. He's presenting the LLS and interviewing the papers and politicians on his radio show.. And him a through and through FFer... Regarding the Kennedys, Tubridy has a blind spot for his hero when the "Camelot" mask starts to slip.. Like the blind spot he has when it comes to the JFK's affairs, Kennedy anti semitism, JFK conspiracy theories (which he dismisses as nonsense and it pretty much the only issues of the JFK story that he wont speak about)

He seems to shield himself from certain uncomfortable truths in life that dont fit his idyllic view of the world... It's like in Friends where Phoebe's mother turns off the video when Old Yeller dies.. I'd say when Tubs was a kid, Mrs Tubridy turned off the video when there was a run on George Bailey's bank (It's A Wonderful Life).. :)

I feel a bit guilty.. I feel like I've created a monster.. like Dr Frankenstein.. He used to be the only one standing up for Tubridy, now he at the front of our Anti-Tubridy mob with a lit torch in one hand and a pitchfork in the other.. :D

Sad to see that Jon closed his account. He made a big contribution to this thread over the past years and he along with Poly, Mrsdewinter and Jimmy were responsible for convincing me to have a volte-face on tubbins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

What happened with Jon? Been away from here due to nothing new with tubs, he will never change.

There is some news!! he's down in the jnlr's again....and 2fm remain committed to tubs as he's great....

actually that's not new at all....

There is some news!! he's down in the jnlr's again....and 2fm remain committed to tubs as he's great....

actually that's not new at all....

He just needs a new production team.:)

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/2fm-boss-we-are-committed-to-tubridy-show-despite-falling-listeners-29718077.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Its all the producers fault dont you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭georgesstreet

I feel sorry for Ryan Tubridy. While I don't like the show or his style of presentation, he must be feeling pretty dreadful about all of this. I can't remember how many listeners G Ryan had, but i have a feeling it was more than double what Tubridy now has.

Sometimes here it seems some guys love bad news like this, and love to triumph that and personalise it, which makes them seem quite shallow.

I feel sorry for Ryan Tubridy. While I don't like the show or his style of presentation, he must be feeling pretty dreadful about all of this. I can't remember how many listeners G Ryan had, but i have a feeling it was more than double what Tubridy now has.

Sometimes here it seems some guys love bad news like this, and love to triumph that and personalise it, which makes them seem quite shallow.

Tubridy is drawing 500,000 euro on the back of being one of RTE's top presenters. He has never shown the slightest sign of "feeling pretty dreadful" about it, instead he has hired and fired numerous staff from his show. He doesn't have the talent to work on a national platform and he could easily rid himself of the pressure by quitting RTE. Where has anyone made it personal about him? It's hardly a personal attack to say that's he is not good enough, we are talking about his presenting skills here.

• Advertisement

Tubridy is drawing 500,000 euro on the back of being one of RTE's top presenters. He has never shown the slightest sign of "feeling pretty dreadful" about it, instead he has hired and fired numerous staff from his show. He doesn't have the talent to work on a national platform and he could easily rid himself of the pressure by quitting RTE. Where has anyone made it personal about him? It's hardly a personal attack to say that's he is not good enough, we are talking about his presenting skills here.

"we" ? I only speak on my on behalf and have no idea who you speak on behalf of when you saw "we" ?

I am not sure if its his salary you complain about (and you may be right to complain about it if that is your argument), or whether you want him to show to you how he is "feeling?" Or is it that you think he should be only able to hire and fire those of whom you personally approve?

If you think as a presenter he is not feeling bad about his plummeting ratings (this is not a one off and they have fallen pretty steadily since G Ryan's time in the slot), then that's your assessment.

I would assume most people know that his ratings reflect how popular or otherwise his presenting skills are.

I feel sorry for him too....back in the day when he was foisted on us, i looked at his salary and his presentation and thought.. who decided this man should be our spokesman (obama, the queen..." he's just not good enough...instead of giving him a suitable job they keep sending in new production teams to fix it...when it's blatently obvious he's just not a nations number one broadcaster....It was Ian Dempsey who called him out on this at the very beginning...he literally said "tubs will be found out very quickly"...
    he seems a decent bloke too..

the new 2fm boss isn't going to change much anyway..his comments on music were out of touch and seeing as the music on 2fm is dire i guess he's made it that way....
    I exclude Dave Fanning and Cormac battle from this as they are two of the best musos in the country...

"we" ? I only speak on my on behalf and have no idea who you speak on behalf of when you saw "we" ?

I am not sure if its his salary you complain about (and you may be right to complain about it if that is your argument), or whether you want him to show to you how he is "feeling?" Or is it that you think he should be only able to hire and fire those of whom you personally approve?

If you think as a presenter he is not feeling bad about his plummeting ratings (this is not a one off and they have fallen pretty steadily since G Ryan's time in the slot), then that's your assessment.

I would assume most people know that his ratings reflect how popular or otherwise his presenting skills are.

Nobody is stopping him from leaving RTE. He got in on the back of political influence, so please spare me the sob story. It takes him two years to earn a million from RTE, there are plenty of people who wouldn't earn that in a lifetime.
    He is not exactly hiding his light under a bushel. He has a book coming out next. It's about how the Irish who conquered Britain. No, it's not about ordinary people who worked hard to build successful companies or helped form social institutions, it focuses on media celebrities like himself. He has a celebrity girlfriend (Aoibheann child), he despises having to condescend to the great unwashed. So please keep your sanctimonious piety, this is not 1950s Ireland and we shouldn't have to put up with this kind of [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL] anymore. It's all about position, prestige "Know your place boy. We are the chosen ones." You can take it if you want. I mean "we" the people who are posting here all the time and have been setting the agenda on this forum, boy.

I feel sorry for him too....back in the day when he was foisted on us, i looked at his salary and his presentation and thought.. who decided this man should be our spokesman (obama, the queen..." he's just not good enough...instead of giving him a suitable job they keep sending in new production teams to fix it...when it's blatently obvious he's just not a nations number one broadcaster....It was Ian Dempsey who called him out on this at the very beginning...he literally said "tubs will be found out very quickly"...
    he seems a decent bloke too..

I am sure they are all decent people, but what I find curious is that some guys here seem to take very obvious pleasure from Tubridys collapsing audience figures. I am sure he is a decent guy and it cant be fun for him to see his audience fall away.

I wondered if the increased competition for the morning would affect Tubridy's audience, and increased competition will only take from his audience if his show is not as strong as his competitors.

Personally, I find his jerkey style doesn't sit well with me, and his cheeriness seems to be to be false and irritating. When Gerry Ryan was on, usually if I was channel hopping I'd stop at R2 as G Ryan usually was interesting, or amusing, or was doing something which caught me attentions and kept me listening. That has never happened the odd time I have tuned into Tubridy, and he's just not my cup of tea.

I am sure they are all decent people, but what I find curious is that some guys here seem to take very obvious pleasure from Tubridys collapsing audience figures. I am sure he is a decent guy and it cant be fun for him to see his audience fall away.

I wondered if the increased competition for the morning would affect Tubridy's audience, and increased competition will only take from his audience if his show is not as strong as his competitors.

Personally, I find his jerkey style doesn't sit well with me, and his cheeriness seems to be to be false and irritating. When Gerry Ryan was on, usually if I was channel hopping I'd stop at R2 as G Ryan usually was interesting, or amusing, or was doing something which caught me attentions and kept me listening. That has never happened the odd time I have tuned into Tubridy, and he's just not my cup of tea.
    there's the partridge factor that attracts me and others sometimes...i'm channel hopping in the mornings and when i leave tubridy "on"...it's generally for getting pleasure from his inadequacy

there's the partridge factor that attracts me and others sometimes...i'm channel hopping in the mornings and when i leave tubridy "on"...it's generally for getting pleasure from his inadequacy

If you mean Alan Partridge, then he was genuinely funny and innovative - I used to listen to him on R4 years ago.

I feel genuinely sorry for him as it cant be fun to see your audience collapse, but to see Joe Duffy with an audience of 400 000 really is what shocks me. I literally know no one who listens to his grubby and nasty little show, and literally everyone I know thinks his show is just that, grubby and nasty.

Anyhow, here's hoping Tubridy picks up his game and gets a really good show going.

Nobody is stopping him from leaving RTE. He got in on the back of political influence, so please spare me the sob story.

I am not interested in running down anyone, which seems to be your chief pleasure here concerning Tubridy, from the recent evidence of your posts.

That you do that so consistently, and with such apparent venom, seems to say more about the sort of person you are than about anyone else.

If you mean Alan Partridge, then he was genuinely funny and innovative - I used to listen to him on R4 years ago.

I feel genuinely sorry for him as it cant be fun to see your audience collapse, but to see Joe Duffy with an audience of 400 000 really is what shocks me. I literally know no one who listens to his grubby and nasty little show, and literally everyone I know thinks his show is just that, grubby and nasty.

Anyhow, here's hoping Tubridy picks up his game and gets a really good show going.
    i wouldn't begrudge him that at all...perhaps it's time to ditch the production team and see can tubs be himself....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

He got in on the back of political influence, so please spare me the sob story.

This idea that he got in on the back of political influence is nonsense. He started out making tea and coffee for Gerry Ryan and eventually became an occasional reporter on Pat Kenny's show (he was usually given the crappiest, most embarrassing assignments) and was really impressive. He's not really suited to his current show, but the Full Irish and his Radio 1 show were both great - as was Tubridy Tonight. When he's allowed to just be himself, he's an excellent presenter. Neither his current 2FM show nor the Late Late Show give him that opportunity.

Advertisement