Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy - Radio Shows Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

RayM wrote: »
    None of which proves that Ryan Tubridy got a foot in the door as a result of nepotism.

If he was in the right slot, we wouldn't be having this conversation. His 2FM show is failing miserably because he's basically been shoehorned into Gerry Ryan's show, despite being the polar opposite of Gerry Ryan - in every imaginable way. I don't know why they thought that would make sense. It would be like... I don't know... hiring Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh to present Xposé.

Tubridy was more suited to an RTE Radio One audience. He's too safe and uncontroversial, exactly what Radio One listeners want.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

He is promoting his new book on his radio show now. I'm absolutely sick of that shower up in RTE. Has he no shame? His audience figures are in the depths and he doesn't give a hoot just more money grabbing schemes from him. His book should be totally separate from his work on RTE.

From his radio show's Facebook page: TUBRIDY 2FM LISTENER EXCLUSIVE! If you'd like a copy of Ryan's brand spanking new book 'The Irish Are Coming', we've a few copies - hot off the presses - to give to our lovely Facebook friends. Just let us know (below) WHY you want it, WHO you'd give it to and WHAT you'd do for a copy...

935112_601297419905331_1359439209_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭georgesstreet

ghiertal wrote: »
    He is promoting his new book on his radio show now. I'm absolutely sick of that shower up in RTE.

And yet you keep listening? If you are sick of them, why do you continue to listen to something which you say makes you sick? A mystery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I think he's in the chip van today? He hasn't mentioned it yet anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

ghiertal wrote: »

935112_601297419905331_1359439209_n.jpg

Alan-Partridge-007.jpg

• Advertisement

It must be great to be able to come to cyberspace and ridicule someone who is successful and has accomplished something.

It's noticeable in life that those who are successful and have accomplished much rarely criticise others who have also achieved things.

Its usually those who have achieved little who are the ones who feel able to criticise others who have been successful. Its a bit like someone coked up and out of it at a party telling you where you have gone wrong :-)

Its usually those who have achieved little who are the ones who feel able to criticise others who have been successful. Its a bit like someone coked up and out of it at a party telling you where you have gone wrong :-)

Gerry Ryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭jmcc

It must be great to be able to come to cyberspace and ridicule someone who is successful and has accomplished something.
    So losing almost half the audience from a once successful radio programme is an accomplishment? So losing hundreds of thousands of viewers from what was RTE's flagship television programme is an accomplishment? I don't think that RTE can quite afford such a string of "accomplishments" for much longer.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    So losing almost half the audience from a once successful radio programme is an accomplishment? So losing hundreds of thousands of viewers from what was RTE's flagship television programme is an accomplishment? I don't think that RTE can quite afford such a string of "accomplishments" for much longer.

Regards...jmcc

Tell us how many hundreds of thousands watch your TV program, or how many hundreds of thousands listen to your radio show?

To repeat, Its usually those who have achieved little who are the ones who feel able to criticise others who have been successful. Its a bit like someone coked up and out of it at a party telling you where you have gone wrong :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

And yet you keep listening? If you are sick of them, why do you continue to listen to something which you say makes you sick? A mystery.
    I think comments such as this one are against the charter...work shared radio's etc

• Advertisement

I think comments such as this one are against the charter...work shared radio's etc

So you are forced against your will at work to listen continually to radio which makes you sick? Is that what you are claiming?

I'd suggest you discuss with your line manager as you probably have a case for constructive dismissal.

So you are forced against your will at work to listen continually to radio which makes you sick? Is that what you are claiming?

I'd suggest you discuss with your line manager as you probably have a case for constructive dismissal.
    That's not at all what i said.

That's not at all what i said.

Yes, hence I asked a question clarifying, as indicated by the "?" at the end, as "work shared radios etc" doesn't really say much or convey the point you seemed to be trying to make

Yes, hence I asked a question clarifying, as indicated by the "?" at the end, as "work shared radios etc" doesn't really say much or convey the point you seemed to be trying to make
    read the charter, perhaps it may clear the matter up for you.

read the charter, perhaps it may clear the matter up for you.

It's kind of you to offer unasked for advice. If you are not willing to explain what you mean by "work shared radios etc" than that's your decision.

Tell us how many hundreds of thousands watch your TV program, or how many hundreds of thousands listen to your radio show?
    Well everyone who uses a cardsharing device on the internet to watch a TV programme or listen to a radio channel uses something I invented. And I've written more books that sold worldwide rather than in just in the RTE canteen. I built a website that is actually one of the largest websites in Ireland by page count (over 450 million webpages and growing) and by search engine footprint.
    To repeat, Its usually those who have achieved little who are the ones who feel able to criticise others who have been successful. Its a bit like someone coked up and out of it at a party telling you where you have gone wrong :-)
    The problem is simply this: Tubridy is losing listeners and losing viewers. That's not being successful. That is a process of continual failure. He is losing his audience and he is not replacing the losses. If it continues, then eventually Tubridy's audience will fall so low that it will no longer attract major advertisers. And when this happens, Tubridy's media career will be over. He will probably be dumped into the Lyric FM retirement scheme for failed DJs and other presenters who don't do so well on RTE's other stations. I would have no problem with Tubridy being purely advertiser supported but I resent having him paid by the Irish public from the licence fee as the public should not have to pay for failure masquerading as "success".

Regards...jmcc

Well everyone who uses a cardsharing device on the internet to watch a TV programme or listen to a radio channel uses something I invented. And I've written more books that sold worldwide rather than in just in the RTE canteen. I built a website that is actually one of the largest websites in Ireland by page count (over 450 million webpages and growing) and by search engine footprint.
    Regards...jmcc

This poster is obviously coked up and out of it..........

I have no idea what that means, but I celebrate your success.

The problem is simply this: Tubridy is losing listeners and losing viewers. That's not being successful. That is a process of continual failure. He is losing his audience and he is not replacing the losses. If it continues, then eventually Tubridy's audience will fall so low that it will no longer attract major advertisers. And when this happens, Tubridy's media career will be over. He will probably be dumped into the Lyric FM retirement scheme for failed DJs and other presenters who don't do so well on RTE's other stations. I would have no problem with Tubridy being purely advertiser supported but I resent having him paid by the Irish public from the licence fee as the public should not have to pay for failure masquerading as "success".

Why is this a problem for you? Why do you need to speculate what might happen to a broadcaster you presumably don't listen to or watch because you don't like him?

How many other broadcasters around the country, the EU and the world fall into the same category? How come you know so much about this individual one, and have such seemingly strong views about him?

I entirely agree and don't have a tv so dont pay a tv licence. Soon, you'll actually have to pay a tax to support RTE, and when that happens we'll see what the Irish people think about that.

Why is this a problem for you? Why do you need to speculate what might happen to a broadcaster you presumably don't listen to or watch because you don't like him?

How many other broadcasters around the country, the EU and the world fall into the same category? How come you know so much about this individual one, and have such seemingly strong views about him?

I entirely agree and don't have a tv so dont pay a tv licence. Soon, you'll actually have to pay a tax to support RTE, and when that happens we'll see what the Irish people think about that.
    why do you care?

I'll explain what a shared radio is as requested, if you answer me honestly. Have you posted in this forum before under a different name? Yes or no would suffice.

• Advertisement

why do you care?

psychology is not my province, alas.

I'll explain what a shared radio is as requested, if you answer me honestly. Have you posted in this forum before under a different name? Yes or no would suffice.

I didn't request to know what a shared radio is, and no explanations are necessary. I can celebrate success without explanations.

I didn't request to know what a shared radio is, and no explanations are necessary. I can celebrate success without explanations.
    are you the poster formerly known as "easychair"?

Why is this a problem for you?
    Well the Irish public has to pay for Tubridy's "success". Now if he was purely advertiser supported (rather than being supported by an unjust tax on the Irish people) then it would not be an issue. However the problem is not mine but RTE's. Tubridy is losing listeners and viewers and has a long term trend of doing so.
    Why do you need to speculate what might happen to a broadcaster you presumably don't listen to or watch because you don't like him?
    See the part above about the Irish people having to support him?
    How many other broadcasters around the country, the EU and the world fall into the same category?
    Licence fee supported state broadcaster employee who is paid more than fair market price? Are there many RTE like stations in the EU who overpay their presenters and DJs despite them continually losing market share on a multi-year basis? It might make a good paper for some media studies course.
    How come you know so much about this individual one, and have such seemingly strong views about him?
    Well RTE seems to plaster him everywhere in a bid to get people to watch his TV show or listen to his radio shows. Perhaps it is the power of advertising?

Regards...jmcc

are you the poster formerly known as "easychair"?

I have no idea what you are talking about, and even less interest.

Well the Irish public has to pay for Tubridy's "success". Now if he was purely advertiser supported (rather than being supported by an unjust tax on the Irish people) then it would not be an issue. However the problem is not mine but RTE's. Tubridy is losing listeners and viewers and has a long term trend of doing so.

See the part above about the Irish people having to support him?

Licence fee supported state broadcaster employee who is paid more than fair market price? Are there many RTE like stations in the EU who overpay their presenters and DJs despite them continually losing market share on a multi-year basis? It might make a good paper for some media studies course.

Well RTE seems to plaster him everywhere in a bid to get people to watch his TV show or listen to his radio shows. Perhaps it is the power of advertising?

Regards...jmcc

I agree 100% with you and wonder when the new tax comes in how it might be viewed by the EU competition commissioner that RTE is supported by taxes which appear illegal under EU competition laws. At the moment the licence is voluntary in that no one without a tv has to pay it.

Anyone is entitled to advertise, and so are RTE. Who decides what is a fair market price?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

So georgesstreet have you ever listened to Tubridys show? Heard any good pieces recently?

withless wrote: »
    So georgesstreet have you ever listened to Tubridys show? Heard any good pieces recently?

My view is that his style of presentation is rather like an excited whippet, which I find not to my personal taste. But this is not about me, but about Tubridy.

My vies is that his style of presentation is rather like an excited whippet, which I find not to my personal taste. But this is not about me, but about Tubridy.
    this is strictly about the radio show.

• Advertisement

Who decides what is a fair market price?
    The market?

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement