Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Okay so eventually got bored and pulled the plug on the update. Replaced battery and rebooted. Stuck on Omnia 7 screen. ****. Replaced battery again. Same again. Repeated and left it out for a min or so, put it back in. This time I got to the connection image as I had during the update. Replaced battery again and this time it booted up properly. *phew*

EDIT: Regarding this link. When I update manually with the latest patch I'm still at 4.7.1404.0 rather than 4.7.1407.0. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Well its official :) Samsung + Software = No Good :D

I had no luck in debranding. I can debrand to Tmo or other few networks but couldnt locate a factory rom :S

Anyway :D atleast i found a new rom for my hd7 with updated OEM firmware.

Well its official :) Samsung + Software = No Good :D
    Bit early to be blaming people in fairness. There have been plenty of people who have got it working with both the Omnia and Focus. :o

gizmo wrote: »
    Bit early to be blaming people in fairness. There have been plenty of people who have got it working with both the Omnia and Focus. :o

Aye, it's strange all right. Microsoft already seems to be on the case, as the activity on @WinPhoneSupport shows. Suspicion seems to be on the 64-bit version of Zune so far...

...Just out of curiosity gizmo, were you using the 64-bit version of Zune or the 32-bit version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Update worked fine on Omnia 7 on Meteor here too. Did take about 20-25 minutes to complete though!

Aye, it's strange all right. Microsoft already seems to be on the case, as the activity on @WinPhoneSupport shows. Suspicion seems to be on the 64-bit version of Zune so far...

...Just out of curiosity gizmo, were you using the 64-bit version of Zune or the 32-bit version?

32bit version of Zune although I am having that odd update/build number issue that I explained above. :o

Yeah but knowing Samsungs history regarding updates. Its easier to point the finger.

If its not their fault feel free to prove me wrong :D

Also got the feeling that all the O2 branded HD2's not getting the update is a repeat of the history :S

32bit version of Zune although I am having that odd update/build number issue that I explained above. :o

I'm not convinced that that's the problem. I have the same thing: version number 1404 in the Zune client, but the ZuneWmdu.dll is listed as version 1407.

Mind you, the update hasn't been released for my phone yet so I don't know whether I'm going to have any problems or not! :D

You can check it yourself: go to C:\Program Files\Zune, right-click on ZuneWmdu.dll and click on Properties. In the Properties window click on the Details tab and you can see the file version there. :)

I'm not convinced that that's the problem. I have the same thing: version number 1404 in the Zune client, but the ZuneWmdu.dll is listed as version 1407.

Mind you, the update hasn't been released for my phone yet so I don't know whether I'm going to have any problems or not! :D

You can check it yourself: go to C:\Program Files\Zune, right-click on ZuneWmdu.dll and click on Properties. In the Properties window click on the Details tab and you can see the file version there. :)
    Yea, that's showing correctly. Hmm, this post did jump out at me though...
    I updated my Samsung Omnia 7 and it worked fine! mind you, i do have the latest samsung firmware from somewhere in europe, so perhaps having the firmware updated prevents the issue?

I'm currently on revision: 2424.10.10.6 which isn't the latest one out there. Can't actually find any "normal" way of upgrading it either. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Update didn't go through for me - backup timed out. I left it on all night as I assume it was backing up the 6gigs on the phone, which is a bit silly. They should only back up user saved data for apps and user phone data, not the apps/music themselves. Not that hard to redownload.

I'm using Windows Phone Connector for OS X. I will try it with a Windows PC this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

OK is it safe to say that there are no O2 HD7 users that have received the preliminary update yet? I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they blocked this for a couple of weeks. Spanish bastards.

Havent seen one person from O2 to say they got an update :S

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Its relatively simple to unlock your phone :)

Then its just a simple app that you can set the colour you like :)
    Thanks for that. I must go doing some reading on jailbreaking.
    stevenmu wrote: »
    Now to get the dev kit setup.
    It was actually a lot less painful than I thought it would be. The $99 per year fee to be able to run your own apps on your own phone is a bit of a kick in the teeth though. I was hoping there was an alternative for evaluation purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Fair credit to MS, dev kit is very easy to set up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's very good alright, I'd tried one of the early CTPs which worked well but the steps now are very straightforward and work perfectly. The app hub site is great too, the quickstarts/samples are laid out in a very logical way so it's easy to find a sample for the common tasks.

I'd a great idea for an app to remote control a PC, but according to evolutionqy7's post about the TouchXperience kit they have that sorted. I suppose I'll try some kind of simple task manager to start and then look for something more useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Still no sign of the update for my LG Optimus 7 (Vodafone).

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

I just got my Omnia 7 (Meteor) update no bother, took about 4 mins in total

luketitz wrote: »
    o rly?

What OS are you running?
    What version of the Zune software do you have?
    What firmware do you have on your phone? (To check, go to Settings -> About -> More Information and then see Firmware revision number.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

I got my notification this morning but the update failed twice with error 801812C1 :(

• Advertisement

MS are certainly aware of the issue and are currently looking into it. They did say this though...
    We would recommend at this time, not to retry the update, as subsequent attempts will fail similarly. While we continue to investigate the issue, we would ask that you not attempt the update until your device alerts you of another update opportunity, in approximately 3 days’ time.

o rly?

What OS are you running?
    What version of the Zune software do you have?
    What firmware do you have on your phone? (To check, go to Settings -> About -> More Information and then see Firmware revision number.)

OS version 7.0.7008.0
    Zune 4.7
    Firmware revision number 2424.10.11.1

Hope this helps somehow!

OS version 7.0.7008.0
    Zune 4.7
    Firmware revision number 2424.10.11.1

Hope this helps somehow!
    OS wise I mean Windows/Mac? XP/Vista/Win7? 32/64bit?

The other stuff definitely helps though, you're on a new ROM than me anyway and I reckon that's the issue at the moment.

Sorry, on my pc I've got Windows 7 64bit

Just bought the phone last week, so that may have somethin to do with it. Hopefully you get it sorted soon.

tbh, this update has had zero impact on my phone just yet, so it won't be the end of the world if it takes a while for you's to get it, you're not missing much!

well its still the fact that O2 are tampering with updates as usual. And it pisses me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

Haven't seen anything myself. HD7 on the Vodafone Network.

markpb wrote: »
    I got my notification this morning but the update failed twice with error 801812C1 :(

From xda-developers:
    Great News! I have stumbled upon a solution for the 801812C1 error!

I have reasons to believe that this works for LG E900 Optimus 7 phones. If you want to try this on your Samsung Omnia 7, please read my note at the end of the post.

Here's what I did (LG E900 Optimus 7 / Windows 7 64bit):

During Step 6 (Rebooting your phone), your Windows OS detects your phone as a new device and starts searching for driver updates online. This can be seen when you click on the little indicator with a spinning green circle in the bottom-right corner of your desktop called the notification area (you might need to click on Show Hidden Icons if it's hidden).

You have to *immediately* click on "Skip Obtaining Device Software Online" or Zune will time-out and show error 801812C1.

Once you've skipped obtaining the drivers online, in about 20 seconds or so, your device will be recognized and you will be promptly taken to the Step 7 of the update.

Note for Samsung Omnia 7 users:

Even if you've gotten past the Step 6 801812C1 error, many users are getting stuck at Step 7 at 100% of 'Backing up your phone' resulting in a few users getting their phones bricked -- you might want to wait till that issue is resolved before trying this fix.

Hope this helps.

Full post.

Some info on update process and how it has to go :) so weather their gonna be blocked by carriers or not. Though still not making me happy that carriers might delay this :S

Further sullying the WP7 update situation, Microsoft is admitting that carriers have the right to pass on any update. A WP7 support tech stated in a support forum:
    Some Mobile Operators have the right to skip one update if they wish. However, they can’t skip the next one, which would be an acumulative update and would include the previous one.
    So if your mobile operator decided to block this one, you will be getting the early March one (which will include the Feb one too).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Some info on update process and how it has to go :) so weather their gonna be blocked by carriers or not. Though still not making me happy that carriers might delay this :S

Further sullying the WP7 update situation, Microsoft is admitting that carriers have the right to pass on any update. A WP7 support tech stated in a support forum:

Yeah read this on a few different sites, it means that even if O2 sit this one out, Microsoft can go ahead and completely bypass them for the next update. ie. don't have to wait for a Yes / No response from Telefonica / O2; they'll just push out the update.

Since all future WP7 updates will be 4 to 6 months apart, this means your existing handset will stay relatively up to date, even if it's a couple of years old at that stage. Unless hardware requirements increase dramatically of course. It lays to rest my fear that O2 could block all updates, effectively forcing regular users to buy a new handset if they wanted the latest WP7 features. Not that I personally would resort to buying a new phone; I would hack the crap out of my existing one first!

• Advertisement

Same if this sort of crap goes on ill just resort to getting a y cable and use the goldcard to flash a HTC Europe rom without branding to break free from their crap and get the normal update cycle. MS should have gave carriers any sort of power over the updates.

Most of us know how messy that got with Android with carriers not releasing updates for certain handsets.

Also once devs manage to get a crack on the bootloader you wont even need the goldcard. Just flash the brand free rom and forget about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement