Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 7 Launch Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

http://pocketnow.com/tech-news/rumor-dell-roadmap-shows-more-wp7-dual-core-qhd

This came out showing a rumoured Dell plans for WP7. Their planning on dual core qhd phone at the end of this year. Thats quite late considering that dual core androids are shinning out right now :(

I hope other OEM's will make more haste :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

http://pocketnow.com/tech-news/rumor-dell-roadmap-shows-more-wp7-dual-core-qhd

This came out showing a rumoured Dell plans for WP7. Their planning on dual core qhd phone at the end of this year. Thats quite late considering that dual core androids are shinning out right now :(

I hope other OEM's will make more haste :(

Going by that the WP7 dual core is only 2 months or so behind the android one.

Yeah but going by how many times Dell has delayed the Venue do you think their gonna bring it out on time?

Also I think that MS will have to specify the OEM's when to bring out the next gen in order to provide a stable upgrade cycle in order to shake down on the fragmentation in order to keep the cry babies happy :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

From that article it looks like the WP7 phone is the same 1Ghz single core that's already in the Venue Pro, the dual core is an android phone?

Engadget's interview with Aaron Woodman here seems to indicate that MS are keeping the hardware specs fixed for the foreseeable future, I'd been holding out for something new but it doesn't look likely any time soon.
    Yeah, you know, I think that part of it is around maximizing -- I don't want to overuse the word "experience," but like I'll use the news that we announced today around IE9. Like, today we have a browser that's a pretty good browser based upon a number of facets within the company. But we announced today that we're bringing IE9 directly over, and we're going to leverage the local GPU to actually do some of the hardware acceleration within the browser. That's pretty powerful. We required the GPU though primarily to meet the requirements we had around games. Specifically XNA titles for Xbox Live. So we have those capabilities within the phone, and I think we can continue to maximize the current capabilities to get more production out of them, more performance out of them. So I look first and I say, you know, there are things we could do even today better and faster given the current chassis spec.

You know, in terms of, hey, what does the world offer in the future and how do we actually start to ingest those things... I don't know how fast we'll actually be against that. That's another area where you look at Nokia as having some much better hardware -- like we have no hardware planning expertise, so we're kind of working through with our partners in terms of what they want to do and Nokia has much more ability I think to have a better long range planning in terms of hardware capabilities and so we can do joint planning. So you know, it's not "next year, we need X," it's more of a, "in five years we agree that we're here, in eight years we agree that we're here." And that's the type of planning you need from a hardware perspective, and I think they'll bring that to the table and I think it'll actually help.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

stevenmu wrote: »
    From that article it looks like the WP7 phone is the same 1Ghz single core that's already in the Venue Pro, the dual core is an android phone?

Engadget's interview with Aaron Woodman here seems to indicate that MS are keeping the hardware specs fixed for the foreseeable future, I'd been holding out for something new but it doesn't look likely any time soon.

So it is. I was looking at the millennium phone and thought it was WP7 for some reason.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the accent colour to something other than the default selection from the theme screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Malice wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to change the accent colour to something other than the default selection from the theme screen?
    Not without unlocking the phone unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

gizmo wrote: »
    Not without unlocking the phone unfortunately.
    I was afraid of that. I guess I'll add it to the list of minor annoyances with this phone.

Its relatively simple to unlock your phone :)

Then its just a simple app that you can set the colour you like :)

This should become easier i hope once Microsofts homebrew solution comes into place. Alot of the jailbreak devs discountinued their jb tools cause MS said their working on how to bring homebrew mainstream.

Guess they have a good solution in place since both dev teams stopped support for jailbreak lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

could people list some of the negatives they have come across with the Omnia 7?

Seriously considering getting one.... if I can talk myself out of my obsession with wanting an iPhone

Well from what i heard here some people dont like the volume selector. Its too low or too loud :)

Appart from that i dont think any one else had any complaints with them :) Probably the 2nd negative is (for some) 8GB of memory wouldnt be enough

EDIT: Like on my HD7 right now i got only 8GB of memory left. That includes aprox 40 apps of which are 27 games and 349 songs :) So one thing to be considered if you like music :)

The volume issue, as I explained earlier in the thread, is a software one which can be fixed easily with the Diagnostics app.

The 8GB max storage may be an issue for you or may not, it depends on what you'll be using the device for.

In terms of hardware I don't think I have any real complaints about the Omnia 7 at all. The screen is beautiful, it has a nice solid construction and is aesthetically lovely. The Back and Search buttons can sometimes be hit accidently when playing games but I think that's an issue for all touch-buttons on WP7 phones rather than one specific to the Omnia 7. To be honest, any complaints I would have would be focused on WP7 itself rather than the phone and, if given the choice between handsets, I'd most definitely get it again.

if any one interested :)

How to Tether on WP7 (JB required)

Also to who wants to have more theme colours and change their ringtones this is the app you need Advance Config Beta 1.1.0.1 :) (jb also required)
    Getting the jailbreak to work could be the hardest part ;) the app makes it simple to change accent colours and also enables wifi n

And last tweak :P

It apparently improved performance on Samsung focus but seems to work for mmm nearly all WP7 phones. Well it did for mine anyway :)

So read this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=11071385#post11071385

Got myself an Omnia 7 over the weekend, loving it so far, a big step up over the iPhone 2g I'd been using. No volume issues for me, it's plenty loud. The screen is incredible, very smooth picture, vivid colours and deep black.

Now to get the dev kit setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

stevenmu wrote: »
    Got myself an Omnia 7 over the weekend, loving it so far, a big step up over the iPhone 2g I'd been using. No volume issues for me, it's plenty loud. The screen is incredible, very smooth picture, vivid colours and deep black.

Now to get the dev kit setup.

App Hub - getting started guide

http://www.facebook.com/touchxperience#!/touchxperience/posts/10150108253197342

windows phone 7 device manager should be coming out soon.
    Windows Phone Device Manager will be compatible with all Windows Phone 7 devices and interacts with an associated WP application, so called TouchXperience! As well as TouchXperience for WM, TouchXperience for WP will be a fully customizable UI adding new features to the OS, but does not replace standard UI, it comes in the form of an additional hub, where you can place widgets and create custom menus. As the previous version it will be very flexible, for example you can organize your apps in menus, or place links to anything you want (system pages or actions, applications, games, contacts, web links, maps,...). It will also include a file explorer, just like TouchXplorer but compatible with all devices.
    Windows Phone Device Manager features:
    • Applications management: view, install/uninstall homebrew applications
    • File management: explore device, exchange files with your phone
    • Files & folders synchronization
    • Integration with Windows explorer
    • Send to Windows Phone (to send files, apps, ringtones, web links in one click)
    • Device backup (if MS allow it)
    • Device information
    • Add and manage custom ringtones
    • Send SMS, E-mail, notes directly from PC (without needing cloud services)
    • Shared clipboard with PC and phone
    • Use your phone as a remote control (control mouse, keyboard and navigation in Windows Media Center)
    • Nice integration with Windows Vista/7: jumplists, widgets, aero effects,...
    • Programming sends notifications to phone
    • Initiate connection from PC or phone
    • Wireless connection support
    • Auto pairing (no need to enter PC or phone IP address)
    • Open marketplace for non-commercial applications (if developers are interested)
    TouchXperience for Windows Phone features:
    • Custom panels and widgets
    • Interactive backgrounds
    • Applications and games launcher
    • File explorer
    • Contact manager
    • Communication manager
    • Profile manager
    • Task manager
    • RSS reader
    • Web radios
    • Integration with Facebook and Twitter
    • DLNA support
    • Network drives support
    • Skydrive support
    • G-scrolling support
    • Windows Sideshow support (if MS let me create drivers and services)
    • Live tile support
    And some other things I probably forgot to mention…
    Because I was bored getting hundreds of emails from people asking me to send them WP Device Manager so they can continue to use pirated applications, and because there will be a short term solution for homebrews, I decided not to include my jailbreak tool. I respect other developers and I don’t want to be responsible for piracy, I’ve been contacted by Brandon Watson from Microsoft and I wish to be involved in the official homebrew support on Windows Phone.
    My apps for Windows Phone 7:

Also to keep the good news flowing :P
    Since Dell Venue Pro appeared out with a copy past functionality out of the box. MS confirmed that we will first be getting a pre NoDo update to make sure that all feature updates are installed correctly (just like it happened with Zune update) . And last Microsoft france said that this update will be rolled out in couple of days.

So the end of waiting is near :P
    Lets see now will carriers affect the update or not. Apparently the update has been ready for quite a while. Its either bug fixing or a general plan regarding to release everything at the same time.

Or carriers being slow as usual or choosing to block updates :)

Or carriers being slow as usual or choosing to block updates :)

I could be way off base here but I thought updates were delivered via the Zune software which would bypass the carriers entirely?

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2011/02/21/our-first-windows-phone-update-and-how-to-get-it.aspx

UPDATES ARE COMING :) OFFICIAL NOW :P

Though its only a software update to prepare the real update as i meantioned before. Hopefully a couple of bug fixes in there too :)

As far as ive read carriers have the ability to push or not push the updates on WP7

This has been done with Android in the US. In Ireland some carriers were taking too long to get the updates working with their garbage ware or just not pushing it to sell new phones that already have the update.

Since there are no newer phones i dont think should be a problem.

Though i know O2 has a name for giving out updates slowly. So we will find out along the way does it affect it or not :):(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Though i know O2 has a name for giving out updates slowly. So we will find out along the way does it affect it or not :):(

what carrier doesn't?
    if i waited for carrier updates i'd still be on 2.1
    however instead i am on 2.3 :p

• Advertisement

well Meteor are known to get updates fastest since their phones arent or are very lightly modified so updates come though faster or comes out instant on when the OEM makes it available. Main reason i went for WP7 was to break away from the madness of Android's crap update cycle.

It got to a point where i got sick of updating the phone via Custom Firmware and wanted instant updates and not to have to go spend hours learning how to update my phone unofficially :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2011/02/21/our-first-windows-phone-update-and-how-to-get-it.aspx

UPDATES ARE COMING :) OFFICIAL NOW :P

Though its only a software update to prepare the real update as i meantioned before. Hopefully a couple of bug fixes in there too :)

This is going to be a really interesting test of the Windows Phone 7 update process. If the update goes smoothly for everyone then it should hopefully be like that for all other updates (though I know it's going to update the software update delivery process). If Microsoft botch this then it's going to be a serious blow for Windows Phone 7, maybe even a fatal one.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this...

Well lets hope its done properly :)

Wouldnt want to end up like some users with Samsung Capactive or Notion Ink Adam and get a brick after OTA update :) Even though this will be done via PC :P

So people so far from US, Germany and UK (from XDA anyway) have gotten their update for the updater. One blog on twitter saying their phone is stuck on 100% lol :)

Mmm not sure in which way this is carried out but even HD2 users are getting it. Still wondering have carriers got anything to do with it, since most HD2 roms are custom and unbranded as they would come from factory. Or will Ireland get left out for last as usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

Update is available, plug your phone into your laptop, Just did my update and it was very smooth, backed up perfectly. It does take about 5-10 minutes to complete all 10 steps

Still no update for O2 Branded HD7 on meteor :S

Just for the sake of testing gonna unbrand my phone from O2 and see does that change anything :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Got my update. I am using OS X and the Windows Phone Connector. Had to reinstall it (as I think I may have been using the beta) and the update came up instantly. Using an Omnia 7 on Meteor, no branding, bought from Meteor.

Just got the update too. Omnia 7 on Meteor PAYG :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

My update is stuck on step 7 out of 10 100%, been like that for a good bit now. Starting to get worried.

rizzla wrote: »
    My update is stuck on step 7 out of 10 100%, been like that for a good bit now. Starting to get worried.
    Looks like I'm in the same boat. Seems to be an issue on a bunch of Omnia 7s according to XDA. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭simi956

Reach out to @windowsphonesupport there will assist

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement