Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish Motorway Speed Limits should be Increased.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

150 on all Motorways ( excluding passing large urban areas )
    Many 1l cars like old Micras have trouble reaching 120kmph. They start shaking and feeling very unstable. They even take quite a while to reach that speed. You probably could, I know many people who have taken their small cars to over 130-140kmph. But the cars a much less stable at those speeds than big saloons. Most people don't feel comfortable driving at such high speeds in their small cars. You can really feel the speed in such cars. In a big saloon you can't tell you're doing 140kmph unless you see the speedo. In a small car you can really tell by all the noise and vibrations at such speeds.

Germany autobahns are very well engineered and so there's not much cross winds there. The M50 nothbound has lots of crosswinds and you will feel a small car getting unsettled by the winds on such roads.

A 1l car would be doing around 4000-5000rpm at 120-130kmph compared to 2500-3000rpm in a 2l saloon. It makes a big difference in fuel economy as well.

Also many cars older than 10years have small issues like worn out suspension bushes, wheel balancing issues which aren't noticeable at low speeds but get amplified at high speeds making the cars dangerous to drive at such speeds.

I don't go over 120kmph in my Puma because although I have taken it over 140kmph at times, it gets very noisy and uncomfortable at those speeds. The engine's running at 4000rpm, its using a lot of fuel, it vibrates and the steering feels very light. Its just not a comfortable place to be. 120kmph is much more comfortable to cruise around on a motorways. And when I'm not in a hurry, I jump in the outside lane and drive at around 100kmph. Its a lot smoother and quiter, more comfortable. I don't want to be forced to blast down on motorways at 140kmph in a noisy, uncomfortable tin can for the convenience of some rich people in their expensive saloons...
    If you cannot handle Motorway driving then do not drive on it. there are alternative roads. Nobody is suggesting you should drive at those very high speed, it should not mean just because you cannot handle it that you force others who can safety to do so from doing it either. Not everybody drives a small car. I drive a Corrolla 1.4L with no problems and I have driven on European and American highways with no issues with small car. I even Drove a 1 Litre Peugout 1007 on a French Motorways and did not realise the speed until I looked at the Speed odometer and it was 150kph. I slow down when I realise my speed, It was that quite in comparison to my car at 120kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The speed limit on the motorway is 120kmph and I usually drive at that speed. Thank you.

And no one said you cannot drive at 100kmph on the motorway, especially in the outside lane where you aren't blocking anyone trying to drive at 3 times the speed of light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I don't want to be forced to blast down on motorways at 140kmph in a noisy, uncomfortable tin can for the convenience of some rich people in their expensive saloons...

My car probably cost less than yours tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The speed limit on the motorway is 120kmph and I usually drive at that speed. Thank you.

And no one said you cannot drive at 100kmph on the motorway, especially in the outside lane where you aren't blocking anyone trying to drive at 3 times the speed of light.

In fairness now it has to be said that the left hand lane usually moves about 110-120 km/h or just under so 100 not the worst speed you can do.
    No one is forced to drive at 120 km/h,I was just making the point that practically all modern cars are capable of that speed.
    The only problem with doing three times the speed of light is that, once you approach the speed of light the mass of your car becomes infinite and so does it's gravity so you would collapse into a singularity, forming a black hole.
    And that doesn't buff out.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,005 ✭✭✭✭unkel

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I read somewhere recently though about this in america, & how there's a push to stamp this out & get people to keep up with traffic, even if it means doing greater than the speed limit.

Very much so. Last time I was in Florida (which has many (very) old residents) the police were coming down hard on people driving below the 45MPH minimum speed on the interstate. Nearly all cars were driving between 70MPH (maximum speed) and 75MPH and keep their lane. Safe and economical.

• Advertisement

In fairness now it has to be said that the left hand lane usually moves about 110-120 km/h or just under so 100 not the worst speed you can do.
    No one is forced to drive at 120 km/h,I was just making the point that practically all modern cars are capable of that speed.
    The only problem with doing three times the speed of light is that, once you approach the speed of light the mass of your car becomes infinite and so does it's gravity so you would collapse into a singularity, forming a black hole.
    And that doesn't buff out.;)

Not if your car is a tired old banger with an asthmatic and dying engine...

Oh and I meant to write 3 times the speed of sound...
    At which speed you'ld be punching your way through the air squeezing it in front of your car and letting it go slowly in short bursts of sonic boom.
    Cross winds would be the least of your problems then...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I don't want to be forced to blast down on motorways at 140kmph in a noisy, uncomfortable tin can for the convenience of some rich people in their expensive saloons...
    SV wrote: »
    My car probably cost less than yours tbh.

Mine cost €800. Rock solid at 100-110mph tbh

^What is it?

Little light hatchbacks like Yaris and Micras aren't very stable.
    Bigger saloons are much more stable.

My sis's Renault Megane cabrio, which is a heavy thing, can very easily go over 160kmph without you realising it.

My puma is pretty solid at 120kmph as well.
    At 140kmph its fine but makes a lot of noise and vibrations and gets affected a little by crosswinds and trucks.
    Also its doing 4500revs at 140kmph which is not good for the oul engine and economy...

^My sis's Renault Megane cabrio, which is a heavy thing, can very easily go over 160kmph without you realising it.

before expiring in a cloud of smoke and a shower of cogs and springs...:p

Haha... though surprisingly it hasn't broken down once in the 4 years she's had it. And she's done something like 50k miles on it. With a lot of motorway miles doing around 120-140kmph. Its been surprisingly reliable. Though lately the AC doesn't seem to be working properly. Its gone asthmatic... But that's the only problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

140 on all Motorways ( excluding passing large urban areas )
    ^What is it?

Little light hatchbacks like Yaris and Micras aren't very stable.
    Bigger saloons are much more stable.

My sis's Renault Megane cabrio, which is a heavy thing, can very easily go over 160kmph without you realising it.

My puma is pretty solid at 120kmph as well.
    At 140kmph its fine but makes a lot of noise and vibrations and gets affected a little by crosswinds and trucks.
    Also its doing 4500revs at 140kmph which is not good for the oul engine and economy...

I was cruising along at 140 for a few min this morning without realising it :(
    I went back down to 120 though, I'm not sure my micra would be happy with prolonged periods at 140, though it wasn't sounding dodgy at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

limklad wrote: »
    I even Drove a 1 Litre Peugout 1007 on a French Motorways and did not realise the speed until I looked at the Speed odometer and it was 150kph.
    And you are arguing that others cant handle motorway driving:rolleyes:

Unless you are going to change the minimum requirments for cars on a motorway its crazy to expect everyone to be able to do 140-160 in any car.
    What about motorbikes? I wouldnt like to have to clear up that mess either.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

An interesting read on the subject of speeds: www.carbibles.com/speeding_facts.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

GreeBo wrote: »
    And you are arguing that others cant handle motorway driving:rolleyes:

Unless you are going to change the minimum requirments for cars on a motorway its crazy to expect everyone to be able to do 140-160 in any car.
    What about motorbikes? I wouldnt like to have to clear up that mess either.
    Nope, I was stating that people would do not like speed should not be driving on Motorway. Motorway driving is far far safer than Local and Poor National roads where people recklessly drive on those roads not built for speed or improper overtaking. There is where the horror crashes are, not on the Motorway. Just ask any member of the Gardai and Ambulance and Fire brigades. It is discussed plenty on this Thread. If you do not believe them then look at the RSA own map where accidents happen.

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Road-Safety/Our-Research/Ireland-Road-Collisions/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

130 on all Motorways ( excluding passing large urban areas )
    limklad wrote: »
    Blow out for cars no matter what the speed is will cause accidents. It is the Driver responsibility to make sure that their car is safe and is road worthiness.........................
    It was an example. My point was that anything can happen to anyone. I'd rather be doing 120kph if something unpredictable happened.
    Even, for example, a birdstrike at 160kph could cause damage! I know a guy who lost a headlight after he hit a pigeon on a mad dash to the airport. The headlight was smashed and there was only the back end of the pigeon left.

And really, what kind of time will be gained by doing 160kph on your way to work? In minutes please?
    How much extra petrol or diesel will you consume at these speeds over a year? In litres?
    How much more often will you have to replace tyres?

I just don't get this drive to increase the speed limits. There is minimal time to be gained and it only costs more.
    My wages have taken enough hits with all these levies etc. I'm not going to have more taken out of my wages with extra visits to the pump, tyre shop and routine services.

shedweller wrote: »
    I just don't get this drive to increase the speed limits. There is minimal time to be gained and it only costs more.
    My wages have taken enough hits with all these levies etc. I'm not going to have more taken out of my wages with extra visits to the pump, tyre shop and routine services.

What, will it cost you personally money if the general limit was increased?
    Nobody is forcing you to drive at 140 km/h, in fact in Germany you can drive quite happily at 120 km/h in the right lane.
    Just watch out for that beemer way off in the distance, he'll be on top of you a lot faster than you think!
    (Driving at night and once saw a beemer appear on the horizon, pass me and disappear, all within the space of less than 15 seconds, I was going 160 km/h at the time)
    When it comes to wear and tear and fuel, I'm very touched that you are concerned for others, but really they can make that decision for themselves.

Ah yes, but the thing is, anyone doing slightly under the speed limit as it is, aren't made feel too welcome or liked. So people are kind of "encouraged" to keep the speed way up. There are plenty of posts here from people of that opinion.
    If the speed limits go stratospheric, we'll be encouraged to do that too. And there'll be no keeping the speeds down a little so we can avoid filling the tank twice a week.
    I thought it was a free world but it would appear otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I thought it was a free world but it would appear otherwise.

yeah me too, but I constantly want to do more than the speed limit and I'm not allowed.

....... but really they can make that decision for themselves.
    Mind if i quote you on that?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

Most small cars are fairly unstable at speeds of over 120kmph.
    Cars which are less than 1.4l and hatchbacks.

Even my cars feels fairly unstable at speeds of 130-140kmph when there are winds blowing. I was doing around 120-130kmph on the M50 northbound and I could feel the force of the cross winds unsettling my car. Everytime I passed a truck, I felt it too.

Seeing as many people drive small light 1-1.4l hatchbacks, they wouldn't really be able to drive as comfortably at speeds of over 120kmph as people in big 2l saloons which are much more stable at high speeds.

So unless something is done about crosswinds on motorways, speeds of over 120kmph are pretty dangerous for small cars.

The autobahn is extremely well engineered. It has protection from cross winds and all that. So you won't feel your car being pushed asides by winds while doing 200kmph on the autobahn. Unfortunately our Irish motorways are a far cry from the autobahns.

Still I feel most saloons can easily go over 160kmph on our motorways and be safe, so for their interest a higher speed limit would be fine. But at the same time something needs to be done to cater for the majority of small car drivers who won't be safe at such speeds.

I currently do 140 in MY 1.4 corrolla. It is the natural speed of the car without looking at the speedo. I would drive faster if I had a bigger more stable car.

WE DO NOT HAVE TO DRIVE AT THE LIMIT

The outside lane is the one on the right. stop calling it the inside lane.

And really, what kind of time will be gained by doing 160kph on your way to work? In minutes please?
    How much extra petrol or diesel will you consume at these speeds over a year? In litres?
    How much more often will you have to replace tyres?

If you're late for something then 160 makes a fair difference. (33% faster than 120 and 60% faster than 100)

Higher speed does cost more but you don't have to do it.

Don't drive at 160 then. just 100 or whatever you like.
    Ah yes, but the thing is, anyone doing slightly under the speed limit as it is, aren't made feel too welcome or liked. So people are kind of "encouraged" to keep the speed way up. There are plenty of posts here from people of that opinion.
    If the speed limits go stratospheric, we'll be encouraged to do that too.

There is no problem with people doing a slow speed on a motorway once there in the left lane. (although 51km/h makes me wonder why they are on the motorway in the first place)

• Advertisement

^Sorry. Guess I got the lanes mixed up.

But I'm all up for a 140 or even 160kmph speed limit.
    My next car isn't gonna be anything below 2l (unless its a Lotus Elise) so I really would be looking forward to opening the throttle a little more.

I just think we need to pay some consideration for the people who drive slow cars too.

^Sorry. Guess I got the lanes mixed up.

But I'm all up for a 140 or even 160kmph speed limit.
    My next car isn't gonna be anything below 2l (unless its a Lotus Elise) so I really would be looking forward to opening the throttle a little more.

I just think we need to pay some consideration for the people who drive slow cars too.

Definitely. I think it should work both ways. The majority of people shouting for lower limits probably have never been in a car doing 160 so don't actually know what it feels like.

bigbadbear wrote: »
    Definitely. I think it should work both ways. The majority of people shouting for lower limits probably have never been in a car doing 160 so don't actually know what it feels like.
    Sobering at first but you quickly get used to it. Regular speeds seem like a walking pace afterwards.
    So i can see how there is a push to raise the limits. But the numbers have to be thought of too. Time gained, fuel cost etc.
    Look, i'd back the higher limits but there would have to be provision for those who are just commuting up to say 50km or just down the road a few km.
    Plus differing skills behind the wheel, big versus small cars etc. An extra lane dedicated to 120kph+ might be a solution but i'm only guessing.
    There might also be an issue at the end of these high speed stretches where traffic backs up in lower speed limit zones. Higher speds coming into these areas will only make the bottleneck worse. I found a trucker "app" that simulated traffic and you could change stuff around. Very interesting i thought. Must look it up.....

Sobering at first but you quickly get used to it. Regular speeds seem like a walking pace afterwards.
    So i can see how there is a push to raise the limits. But the numbers have to be thought of too. Time gained, fuel cost etc.

Plus differing skills behind the wheel, big versus small cars etc. An extra lane dedicated to 120kph+ might be a solution but i'm only guessing.
    There might also be an issue at the end of these high speed stretches where traffic backs up in lower speed limit zones. Higher speeds coming into these areas will only make the bottleneck worse. I found a trucker "app" that simulated traffic and you could change stuff around. Very interesting i thought. Must look it up.....

Varying speed limits in lanes don't work unfortunately.

the bottleneck that you speak of is only applicable in very few places. The limits would have to accommodate factors like this instead of a blind across the board limit like we have now.
    Look, i'd back the higher limits but there would have to be provision for those who are just commuting up to say 50km or just down the road a few km.
    ^^^I don't know what you mean by this^^^

On a commute of about 50km, there would be a minimal gain in terms of time in doing it at 160kph over 120kph. But over, say, Cork to Dublin there would be a sizeable chunk of time taken off the trip.
    I dont know about you but i dont very often go across the country by any great length. Mostly i commute by about 55km. Doing it at 160kph is only going to lighten my wallet more than it already does and not "save" me any time worth talking about.
    So, by extension, i assume there are a few others out there equally not bothered by doing 160kph. Therein lies a major speed difference. How do we make this safer? An extra lane, maybe? Expensive, yes, but it would pay for itself with all the extra fuel tax generated.
    Look, i'm only bouncing ideas around. Some may work, some may not.
    This is what Boards is about, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The outside lane is the one on the right. stop calling it the inside lane.
    Stop being a pedant. :(

We are drivers, not road engineers (or whatever the people who follow your topology are). To the average Joe, the inside lane is the left-most one. That's the convention the vast majority of people use, so why not go with it for normal discussion?

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Stop being a pedant. :(

We are drivers, not road engineers (or whatever the people who follow your topology are). To the average Joe, the inside lane is the left-most one. That's the convention the vast majority of people use, so why not go with it for normal discussion?

Check what i said again:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Check what i said again:p:p
    Doh! Sorry about that.... :o

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I noticed there is no poll option for the current stays quo which is ignore the current limit and choose which speed you prefer.

Its the option that actually works best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭captainbirdseye

I noticed there is no poll option for the reduction of speed limits. If there was, the resulting curve would more than likely shift downwards towards lower limits..
    Bum deal.

Advertisement