Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish Motorway Speed Limits should be Increased.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    It might be better having a minimum speed limit on a Motorway. People driving at 40-60 kph are the ones who cause frustration on roads which inturn leads to dangerous risks of overtaking.

And having Garda hiding behind signs on duel carrigage ways or motor ways is a very cynical attempt to generate income. Why not set speed check points in urban areas.

50 is already the minimum speed limit I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

130 on all Motorways ( excluding passing large urban areas )
    Bullseye1 wrote: »
    It might be better having a minimum speed limit on a Motorway. People driving at 40-60 kph are the ones who cause frustration on roads which inturn leads to dangerous risks of overtaking.
    I regularly drive on the M1 and I've never seen this. Slowest drivers I've seen have been doing 100kph in the 120kph zone.

There is a problem in the 80kph section with maybe half the drivers ignoring the very clearly posted speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

160 on all Motorways ( excluding passing large urban areas )
    seensensee wrote: »
    No the speed limits cannot be increased,and that being said as someone who drives the distance at 120+;), it's when a slow driver pulls out intentionally? into the overtaking lane without indicating just as you are whizzing along expecting things are as they should be... shocking stuff. Lets not forget as well as slow drivers there are an alarming rate of OBSTRUCTIONIST DRIVERS on the road too.

I don't know if the whole subject is moot, really............I travelled Athenry - Skerries - Athenry today (work), and did it all on motorway. Most of it on c/control at 120kph.

On the way up in particular, this a.m., I was probably a little quicker than most.

On the way down, around 15:00, I most assuredly was not ! I spotted a lot of cars, including one 10 G reg Ford Diesel and at 120 kph, I was, frankly, left for dead. It disappeared over the horizon.

So, what value/point, any limit, if that's what's going on ?

Oh, and as for the guy with the 3 wardrobes, doing 60kph in the inside lane...........ooooer.....60 on the inside, 160 on the overtaking......that's some difference, I tell ya !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

galwaytt wrote: »
    I don't know if the whole subject is moot, really............
    on the way up in particular, this a.m., I was probably a little quicker than most.

On the way down, around 15:00, I most assuredly was not ! I spotted a lot of cars, including one 10 G reg Ford Diesel and at 120 kph, I was, frankly, left for dead. It disappeared over the horizon.

I was just going to say what difference will it make anyway??

I personally pay no attention whatsoever to speed limits. This does not necessarily mean that I am breaking them regularly though.

I always speed on motorways anyway and I bet most people who are saying the limit should be actually raised ignore the limit anyway. (I drove Dublin-Cork the other day and most people were doing around 140)

Well guys, do you?

And just because a limit is raised does not mean that you have to travel at that speed. I wouldn't do 160km/h anyway. It would eat the petrol and my car would be screaming.

So why not just raise it then? To 140 at least

Would people be supportive of varying speed limits to match the road ahead instead of just an across the board speed limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

150 on all Motorways ( excluding passing large urban areas )
    Yes varying speed limits is a good idea. For instance in France the speed limit on motorways is usually 130kph and in very wet weather it is reduced to 110kph.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

I don't know if the whole subject is moot, really............I travelled Athenry - Skerries - Athenry today (work), and did it all on motorway. Most of it on c/control at 120kph.

On the way up in particular, this a.m., I was probably a little quicker than most.

Oh, and as for the guy with the 3 wardrobes, doing 60kph in the inside lane...........ooooer.....60 on the inside, 160 on the overtaking......that's some difference, I tell ya !

Have you seen this video... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056000605

If s/he had been doing a lesser speed at the time then they might have made it home, Could be the bottom line in all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Have you seen this video... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056000605

If s/he had been doing a lesser speed at the time then they might have made it home, Could be the bottom line in all of this.

Post 9 in that thread indicates the cause was road debris, I'm not sure if there'd be a massive difference in mortality rates between a crash in the barriers at 120kmph and a crash at 160kmph.

Your point is taken though.

This is a point that cannot be ignored. I think it should be my personal choice though

-Chris- wrote: »
    Post 9 in that thread indicates the cause was road debris, I'm not sure if there'd be a massive difference in mortality rates between a crash in the barriers at 120kmph and a crash at 160kmph.

Your point is taken though.

But look again at the video... 0.32 and it appears that the cars rear right hand side tyre ran over a very obvious large piece of debris (brick size), the surprise is that they failed to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

160 on all Motorways ( excluding passing large urban areas )
    bigbadbear wrote: »
    This is a point that cannot be ignored. I think it should be my personal choice though

But it is your choice: a speed limit is not a target, and you're not obliged to travel at it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

But it is your choice: a speed limit is not a target, and you're not obliged to travel at it.

Yeah but you're obliged to travel below it.

Look at my previous posts

So why not just raise it then? To 140 at least

Would people be supportive of varying speed limits to match the road ahead instead of just an across the board speed limit?

Call me a hypocrite but yes increase the speed limit to 140 but under what conditions ?
    Example... if the motorway ahead is clear of traffic 140 seems like a good idea, on you go... then a car in the distance, what to do? make it a regulation to slow down and overtake at 120-125, the thing is how to regulate speeds to the satisfaction of all motorists.

Call me a hypocrite but yes increase the speed limit to 140 but under what conditions ?
    Example... if the motorway ahead is clear of traffic 140 seems like a good idea, on you go... then a car in the distance, what to do? make it a regulation to slow down and overtake at 120-125, the thing is how to regulate speeds to the satisfaction of all motorists.

You misunderstand

Flat and straight sections of motorway could be higher speed limits than sections with bends or even parts with merging traffic could be lower limits.

What do you think?

You misunderstand

Flat and straight sections of motorway could be higher speed limits than sections with bends or even parts with merging traffic could be lower limits.

What do you think?

Yes it's a seems like good idea in the context that it suits me just fine however in recent years I have had some very good reasons to take other drivers and their styles into account as well as being more aware of unforseen freak conditions (the video) and that makes me unsure.
    We both know that some motorists will push 140 into 160 so imagine when "mr slow begrudger" decides to teach us a lesson and pull out infront without much indication... or any other scenarios you may care to mention?

Yes it's a seems like good idea in the context that it suits me just fine however in recent years I have had some very good reasons to take other drivers and their styles into account as well as being more aware of unforseen freak conditions (the video) and that makes me unsure.
    We both know that some motorists will push 140 into 160 so imagine when "mr slow begrudger" decides to teach us a lesson and pull out infront without much indication... or any other scenarios you may care to mention?

Who is this guy and why is he trying to kill motorists?:pac:

Higher speed limit doesnt really affect the above situation

Who is this guy and why is he trying to kill motorists?:pac:

Higher speed limit doesnt really affect the above situation

He changed his car a couple of times and somehow manages to be driving ahead of me doing a far slower speed, I believe he wants to cause an accident so that he will have his rear end written off and I will have to pay for a new car for him, otherwise why would he pull out into the overtaking lane at a slow speed without any indication when both lanes are clear ahead?
    His brother does'nt use the motorways but I'm sure you've passed him by (after 10 minutes of trailing between 75-90) on the national roads ,you know the one who never gives an inch even when your overtaking is tight with the oncoming vehicle.

Anyway, as has been stated already many use the motorways above 120+ at a standard cruise without problems so practically speaking the new speed cameras are going to make Sh1t out of many motorists schedules unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

140 on all Motorways ( excluding passing large urban areas )
    martydunf wrote: »
    Alot of other roads beside motorways needs the speed limit looked at tbh.

The outer ring road in Waterford is a prime example. 60km/h on what is practically a dual carriage is a f*cking joke!:mad:

In fairness the 9+ roundabouts would justify a lower limit. The amount of people I've seen slamming on the brakes and almost end up in the middle of a roundabout astounds me on this stretch. The people just get fed up of the constant starting/stopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

unenforcible....overall maxima arent ideal but are really the only way. Roadside electronic displays could then reduce the limit in adverse conditions as on the M25 in the UK where the limits are vairable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

You cannot be certain they make it home, with debris on the road anything could happen no matter the speed is. The Car driver might swerve to avoid debris hitting other cars could have a similar effect on lives. People can be killed even travelling at 20mph or less.

From that video, You can clearly see that large debris on the road that cause the accident. It seems the large Debris launch the back of the car up a bit which in turn put the car out of control. You can see that at 28+ seconds in. The Debris were the cause of the crash and was from another road user, not speed.

RSA Statistics show that Motorway speed is not the cause for the Vast Majority of Car Accidents, yet we all see vehicles travelling much faster than the speed limit on the Motorway yet very little crashes in comparisons to National/Local Roads.

I link Motorway Crashes to Air-plane Crashes. Air-plane Crashes are rare in comparisons to other forms of Transport but when they do is big news because it is rare and the size of the crash and numbers involved.
    Motorway crashes is a minority in comparisons to Normal road crashes,. where and the vast Majority Horror road crashes are with normal type family cars travelling inappropriate and dangerously on normal single-lane or small roads to the weather or road conditions or Drunk Driving, Not wearing a Seat Belt, and Provisional Drivers. Most Horrific accidents were cause by people making stupid decisions without awareness/considerations of thing happening around them mainly on Normal single lane roads.

Throughout the World, Motorway driving is by far the safest despite the consistently high speed throughout and The Germans have proof that on their Autobahns in comparisons to their national and local roads. Many Countries have minimum Speed limit for Motorway Driving.
    Also Car Technology has improved in leaps and bounds for drivers, passengers and other road users which reduced Deaths due to accidents, but No matter what speed drivers drive at they will always be idiots who cause accidents without due care for others. They will always be reckless Drivers whenever they are fast or slow drivers. I am for increasing the Motorway speed limit from 120kph to 140Kph and having a minimum speed limit of 100kph.

limklad wrote: »
    ............................................................................................
    Also Car Technology has improved in leaps and bounds for drivers, passengers and other road users which reduced Deaths due to accidents, but No matter what speed drivers drive at they will always be idiots who cause accidents without due care for others. They will always be reckless Drivers whenever they are fast or slow drivers. I am for increasing the Motorway speed limit from 120kph to 140Kph and having a minimum speed limit of 100kph.

A bit high really. I was driving one of the company vans last week that would barely do 100km/h. Trucks are limited to 90km/h too

EDIT: If anyone starts banging on about trucks again I'll find out where they live.

• Advertisement

limklad wrote: »
    You cannot be certain they make it home, with debris on the road anything could happen no matter the speed is. The Car driver might swerve to avoid debris hitting other cars could have a similar effect on lives. People can be killed even travelling at 20mph or less.

From that video, You can clearly see that large debris on the road that cause the accident. It seems the large Debris launch the back of the car up a bit which in turn put the car out of control. You can see that at 28+ seconds in. The Debris were the cause of the crash and was from another road user, not speed.

RSA Statistics show that Motorway speed is not the cause for the Vast Majority of Car Accidents, yet we all see vehicles travelling much faster than the speed limit on the Motorway yet very little crashes in comparisons to National/Local Roads.

I link Motorway Crashes to Air-plane Crashes. Air-plane Crashes are rare in comparisons to other forms of Transport but when they do is big news because it is rare and the size of the crash and numbers involved.
    Motorway crashes is a minority in comparisons to Normal road crashes,. where and the vast Majority Horror road crashes are with normal type family cars travelling inappropriate and dangerously on normal single-lane or small roads to the weather or road conditions or Drunk Driving, Not wearing a Seat Belt, and Provisional Drivers. Most Horrific accidents were cause by people making stupid decisions without awareness/considerations of thing happening around them mainly on Normal single lane roads.

Throughout the World, Motorway driving is by far the safest despite the consistently high speed throughout and The Germans have proof that on their Autobahns in comparisons to their national and local roads. Many Countries have minimum Speed limit for Motorway Driving.

Well stated , here just to back up the claim...

20701.jpgDozens injured in 259-car autobahn pileup

Published: 20 Jul 09 10:00 CET
    Online: http://www.thelocal.de/national/20090720-20701.html
    Share40

Dozens of people were injured in a pileup involving 259 cars on the A2 motorway in the state of Lower Saxony late on Sunday, police reported. Ten of the injured are in critical condition.http://www.thelocal.de/national/20090720-20701.htmlPolice from Braunschweig, near where the accidents occurred, said it was the largest series of collisions ever seen in the area. In total, 66 people were injured when several drivers lost control of their vehicles due to heavy rain. The first collision – which began a two-hour-long series of resulting accidents on a 30-kilometre stretch of road – was reported near Hämelerwald towards Hannover.

Many drivers were driving too quickly and closely for the weather conditions, police said. The low-lying sun also hindered vision, a Braunschweig state patrol spokesperson said.

The A2 motorway was closed for clean up at several locations, causing traffic jams several kilometres long as clean up crews worked into the morning. Some 340 rescue workers were involved in the efforts.

“We have to put together all of the data on the injured people and towed cars. This will take until midday at least,” an investigator said.

Authorities estimate the costs of the pile up will be at least €1.5 million
    http://www.thelocal.de/national/20090720-20701.html

FTA we can see that despite the number of crashed cars there were no actual deaths , the main cause of the accident is attributed peoples failure to adapt to heavy rain and blinding sunlight... bizarre but factually true.

I would support 100-140 kph variable speed motorways but the drivers would have to adhere to the changing speed directions to avoid the above.

Funny thing is that I was stopped by the police in the Netherlands on a clear duel carriageway while doing 80 kph and it was explained to me that I was driving to slow and should be doing the limit of 100, proper order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I would support 100-140 kph variable speed motorways but the drivers would have to adhere to the changing speed directions to avoid the above.
    Given that so many drivers ignore well-posted speed limits and other clear regulations concerning stopping on amber, illegal overtaking, driving clockwise around roundabouts and not parking close to junctions or beside continuous white lines, what makes you think they'll adhere to variable limits? Won't they just add 10% for 'under-reading speedo' plus 10% for 'police discretion' plus a bit more because they think they're great drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Given that so many drivers ignore well-posted speed limits and other clear regulations concerning stopping on amber, illegal overtaking, driving clockwise around roundabouts and not parking close to junctions or beside continuous white lines, what makes you think they'll adhere to variable limits? Won't they just add 10% for 'under-reading speedo' plus 10% for 'police discretion' plus a bit more because they think they're great drivers?

Yep...if you put up the speedlimit, those now doing 160k will go even faster. It's about right as it is, with a bit of Garda discretion. In the UK you wont normally get stopped whilst you are doing about 90 UNLESS you are driving eratically or dangerously. It's these last guys that we want booked not every Joe Soap squeezing the limit a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Where do you get this stuff?

I'll quote it again without the superfluous words:
    Given that so many drivers ignore clear regulations concerning driving clockwise around roundabouts

So many?? In 11 years of driving I don't think I've even seen it once. How many times have you seen it that you feel confident to use the words "so many drivers"?

Anybody else come across any anticlockwise drivers on a regular basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

-Chris- wrote: »
    Anybody else come across any anticlockwise drivers on a regular basis?

Only Cyclists..............................

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think the current 120kph limit is ok. It's well within the safe limits of some driver/car combos, but equally well beyond those of other less able drivers.

If it were possible I'd actually favour learner, normal and advanced licensing, with different speed limits for each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 unirock

In a 2Mill Km accident free driving career on 4 Continents but principally in Europe, I have been present at more road deaths than most. The overwhelming amount of carnage that I have witnessed has been the result of SPEED, drink and testosterone fuelled younger males who believe that they are invulnerable. Recent accidents in Donegal endorse that view and when young drivers call for increasing speed limits at this time it shows an alarming lack of intelligence and understanding for the grief of the families and loved ones left to carry the pain. Grow up young people and try to understand that every time you take a car for a drive, you have the potential to be a killer or a victim of one. Do you ever think of how many people's lives are devestated by a single road death ?

A bit high really. I was driving one of the company vans last week that would barely do 100km/h. Trucks are limited to 90km/h too

EDIT: If anyone starts banging on about trucks again I'll find out where they live.
    If most Trucks are limited to 90kph then I am The President Barack Obama. I have clock too many Trucks on the Motorway from Limerick to Dublin and many of them are Travelling well above 90kpm especially at night and most of them are well known stores trucks travelling between 100kph to 110 kph. Do not Believe me Travel the road yourself and find out.

Well there is no excuse for stupidity when it comes to bad drivers who are always delusional when it comes to their own driving ability until it is way too late, and even at that, there are always be those (male and female) who do not care about others or themselves when they drive reckless on the roads and will always believe it is always their right be there and drive the way they want to.

The Problem is lack of resources of enforcement of the current regulations. Just look at recent Prime Time program about the continuous reckless driving in Donegal and surrounding counties where they and that region have the highest per population deaths in the country and where Donegal Traffic Corps have to share 1 mobile speed camera with other counties and have no fixed camera and they lost 1 member of the Traffic Corps since it foundation, while every other counties have increase their members. Despite the speed many of the Deaths have happen on roads when the Speed limits are far too high such as 80kph for narrow roads, pot hole roads, rough roads. The onus is always on the driver to drive with road conditions in mind, to be honest most drivers are oblivious to road conditions and are complacent in their driving skills and underestimate their car ability to stop quickly especially in wet and frosty weather. It is a pity Prime Time did not have any report of poor driving by the majority, I suppose it easier to blame a minority rather than alienate your viewers. I have had mothers do dangerous stunts around me with very young kids unrestrained in the car including overtaking me at hilly bends while happily talking on the phone while I was travelling at 60mph. She nearly ploughed into a Tourist bus if I did not break immediately. Other pull out in front of me with snow and frost on the roads, where they would barely have time on good road conditions too move on. I always expect the unexpected no matter who the other driver is.

By the Way, I always "drive clockwise around roundabouts" except in foreign countries that drive on the other side of the road. To do other wise would cause accidents. I also do "not park close to junctions" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

unirock wrote: »
    In a 2Mill Km accident free driving career on 4 Continents but principally in Europe, I have been present at more road deaths than most. The overwhelming amount of carnage that I have witnessed has been the result of SPEED, drink and testosterone fuelled younger males who believe that they are invulnerable. Recent accidents in Donegal endorse that view and when young drivers call for increasing speed limits at this time it shows an alarming lack of intelligence and understanding for the grief of the families and loved ones left to carry the pain. Grow up young people and try to understand that every time you take a car for a drive, you have the potential to be a killer or a victim of one. Do you ever think of how many people's lives are devastated by a single road death ?

Admittedly my own driving career was shorter than that, but over the last 10 years I have had a granny pull into my side of the road leaving me nowhere to go, a young woman crash into the back of my car at a traffic lights because she didn't pay attention, a young male driver pull directly into my car because he didn't look (yep, looked left and pulled directly into me coming from the right without even looking my way) and I saw a small truck pulling a digger overturn because the trailer wasn’t set up correctly and the oaf driving it would rather crash than let anyone overtake him, but as far as reckless speed and careless driving is concerned I found it was rarely 'dem boyracers' that everyone seems to love to blame, but mostly middle aged professional drivers, rep man, taxi drivers, van drivers, etc... that would drive most aggressively, fast and without regard for other road users.
    Behaviour actually has improved on the new motorways compared to the old single lane road network, where if you got stuck behind a slow moving vehicle you where pretty much stuck at 60 km/h for the entire duration of the journey.
    And that's where I saw the most reckless driving.
    Doing 140 km/h on a motorway in light traffic in good conditions won't kill you in a million years and if anyone says he can't handle such insane speeds I would suggest taking away his licence since real speed doesn't start until about 180 km/h and over.
    And as for boyracers, I mostly see them driving very carefully at just below the speed limit because if you have a car that looks like it crashed into a Halford's shop window you will attract attention and can't act up much.
    At least in Clare and Limerick, might be different elsewhere, but my main problem on the road where old, ignorant, insane farmers pulling out 100 meters in front of you only to proceed at 60 km/h whilst making chewing motions with their mouths (mad mouth) and taking up as much road as possible.
    My first priority would be: Get all these insane old gits of the road.

Advertisement