Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish Motorway Speed Limits should be Increased.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

140 on all Motorways ( excluding passing large urban areas )
    seensensee wrote: »
    It is understood the car was travelling in the fast lane when it overturned.

Travelling in the what?

lol! they've edited it to overtaking lane on the site, good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

150 on all Motorways ( excluding passing large urban areas )
    No the speed limits cannot be increased,and that being said as someone who drives the distance at 120+;), it's when a slow driver pulls out intentionally? into the overtaking lane without indicating just as you are whizzing along expecting things are as they should be... shocking stuff. Lets not forget as well as slow drivers there are an alarming rate of OBSTRUCTIONIST DRIVERS on the road too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

This is what I'd do:

Increase the speed limit to 140km/h for drivers who are willing to do a 1 day motorway driving course.

Anyone else would be limited to 120km/h.

It would encourage drivers to actually learn how to use a motorway properly.

Solair wrote: »
    This is what I'd do:

Increase the speed limit to 140km/h for drivers who are willing to do a 1 day motorway driving course.

Anyone else would be limited to 120km/h.

It would encourage drivers to actually learn how to use a motorway properly.

It won't work (see post above) the envying obstructionists will pull out and wreak your day perhaps killing you and/or claiming on your insurance for a new car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

130 on all Motorways ( excluding passing large urban areas )
    • [URL="http:// A man who was killed in a crash on the M1 in Leicestershire has been named.
      Eoghan Mac Aoidh, 24, from Dublin, was a passenger in a camper van which was hit by a lorry between junctions 20 and 21 in the early hours of Wednesday.
      Four other people in the van, which was parked on the hard shoulder, were hurt. One is still being treated in hospital.
      The driver of the lorry received minor injuries. A 45-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the crash and released on police bail.

In the event that the legal speed limit was at 160 (100 mph) the above accident would surely have wiped out everyone on board, There would clearly be increased carnage on the roads, it's unacceptable.
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-10953118

A bad example im afriad. The truck was probably spot on his limiter speed and COULDN'T go any faster whatever the speed limit.However i agree with your fundemental point you are making.

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »

Don't be afriad... Now can you explain why it's a bad example? the point I made in the linked post suggests that if motorway speeds increased so would the speed of the truck therefore at speeds of 160 kph it is to be expected that more people would die per accident, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Don't be afriad... Now can you explain why it's a bad example? the point I made in the linked post suggests that if motorway speeds increased so would the speed of the truck therefore at speeds of 160 kph it is to be expected that more people would die per accident, yes?

Oh god.. are you of those people that thinks a truck could do 160 kmh. That accident in the Uk has nothing to do with speed limits. The camper was parked on the hard shoulder(illegaly) and the truck for whatever reason hit it. The truck would have been doing no more than 90 kmh.

SARASON wrote: »

Oh god.. are you of those people that thinks a truck could do 160 kmh. That accident in the Uk has nothing to do with speed limits. The camper was parked on the hard shoulder(illegaly) and the truck for whatever reason hit it. The truck would have been doing no more than 90 kmh.

Could have been doing 110, and if the speed limit was increased to 160 then it is no stretch of the imagination to assume that haulage companies would gear their trucks to that speed (time is money), granted if the truck is full then 160 may be unobtainable but when empty.... sure there are trucks on Irish roads that do 120 kph at times as it is. I'll stick with the original suggestion that if the truck was doing 160 kph then we would have seen more fatalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Could have been doing 110, and if the speed limit was increased to 160 then it is no stretch of the imagination to assume that haulage companies would gear their trucks to that speed (time is money), granted if the truck is full then 160 may be unobtainable but when empty.... sure there are trucks on Irish roads that do 120 kph at times as it is. I'll stick with the original suggestion that if the truck was doing 160 kph then we would have seen more fatalities.

Oh you havent a clue. Im not trying to be smart or abusive here but trucks are limited to 90 kph. Please dont be posting stuff when you dont know whats going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Velocitee

The only time I am truly relaxed on motorways is in the early hours of the morning.

Case in point, dropped herself to the airport at 4am, M50 a joy to use - why? all drivers are usually professionals such as trucks/taxis and no trucks overtaking others etc cos no need.

Otherwise you're dealing with people who have no concept of acceleration/ no spatial awareness who are behind another car and pull out at 5/10 kph more into faster traffic right in front of you as you approach in the overtaking lane.

People who join motorways as 80kph because they don't know you have to build up speed to motorway levels before joining.

People who overtake only to slow down and when you overtake get road rage and they overtake again.

Enforcement of everything else BEFORE speed should be the priority.

Yes speed kills but usually only because some other idiocy has been performed AT speed. (overtaking on a blind bend at speed/ guys out for a blast down back roads/ aul' lads driving home from pubs at speed as they don't want to pay for a taxi) etc etc.

I'm not the first to say motorway speed isn't the issue, it's the speed limits everywhere else. 100kph where you can't go 100kph, 60kph on dual carriageways - all madness.

A tv motorway safety campaign is needed I feel. Not the current one but explaining "driving lane on left, overtaking lane on right" "moving into the overtaking lane when safe to do so to allow people to merge" "not pulling into overtaking lane at 80kph with faster traffic approaching".

We all can dream...

• Advertisement

Oh you havent a clue. Im not trying to be smart or abusive here but trucks are limited to 90 kph. Please dont be posting stuff when you dont know whats going on.

thanks for spelling that out for him..I wouldn't have been able to cos I can't spell//:D

Your narrow point of view excludes all possibilities and I'm sure you know better than to post the above. Just because english law states that trucks must be limited to 90 kph does'nt mean that international trucks are limited at all. Who are you to say that you know what is under every trucks bonnet? you don't know:p right?
    In addition I have driven neck and neck with articulated lorries at 120 kph on Irish roads, so I do know what I'm talking about, the cheek of you.

EDIT:
    The association cannot defend truckers who break the speed limits,Ó Quinn stated. Quinn made his comments in the wake of a National Roads Authority Report, which found speeding is rife in the haulage industry. The report stated that 92 per cent of articulated lorry drivers break the speed limit in built up areas, while more than 80 per cent speed on motorways and 70 per cent break the speed limit on dual-carriageways.

The number of articulated lorries speeding on the countryÕs national secondary road network, where there have been numerous crashes involving trucks and cars has almost doubled from 19 per cent in 1999 to 37 per cent in 2002. Almost three out of 10 rigid trucks were were also found to be breaking the speed limits on these roads.

http://www.irishtrucker.com/NEWS/2003/may/160503.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Please don't correct other people's spelling, it shows you in a bad light and distracts from your argument.

-Chris- wrote: »

Please don't correct other people's spelling, it shows you in a bad light and distracts from your argument.

all due respect but I did'nt correct the spelling I highlighted a quoted word.

all due respect but I did'nt correct the spelling I highlighted a quoted word.

OK, if you can explain why you highlighted that particular word I won't give you an infraction for back seat modding.

Or you can drop the issue and get back on topic, your choice.

Your narrow point of view excludes all possibilities and I'm sure you know better than to post the above. Just because english law states that trucks must be limited to 90 kph does'nt mean that international trucks are limited at all. Who are you to say that you know what is under every trucks bonnet? you don't know:p right?
    In addition I have driven neck and neck with articulated lorries at 120 kph on Irish roads, so I do know what I'm talking about, the cheek of you.

EDIT:
    The association cannot defend truckers who break the speed limits,Ó Quinn stated. Quinn made his comments in the wake of a National Roads Authority Report, which found speeding is rife in the haulage industry. The report stated that 92 per cent of articulated lorry drivers break the speed limit in built up areas, while more than 80 per cent speed on motorways and 70 per cent break the speed limit on dual-carriageways.

The number of articulated lorries speeding on the countryÕs national secondary road network, where there have been numerous crashes involving trucks and cars has almost doubled from 19 per cent in 1999 to 37 per cent in 2002. Almost three out of 10 rigid trucks were were also found to be breaking the speed limits on these roads.

All trucks operating in Ireland and the rest of the EU and no doubt many other countries have to be fitted with speed limiters (90 km/h as far as Ireland is concerned if not all of those countries) If someone is flouting that law isnt it safe to assume they would also be prepared to flout the motorway speed limit law no matter what it was set at. I'm sure i don't need to explain further for most memebrs to see what rubbish you are coming out with.

-Chris- wrote: »

OK, if you can explain why you highlighted that particular word I won't give you an infraction for back seat modding.

Or you can drop the issue and get back on topic, your choice.

Consider the issue dropped.

All trucks operating in Ireland and the rest of the EU and no doubt many other countries have to be fitted with speed limiters (90 km/h as far as Ireland is concerned if not all of those countries) If someone is flouting that law isnt it safe to assume they would also be prepared to flout the motorway speed limit law no matter what it was set at. I'm sure i don't need to explain further for most memebrs to see what rubbish you are coming out with.

you have presented nothing in the way of facts to show that my links or point of view is rubbish, you present an opinion, one which the majority of drivers here on boards.ie would disagree with.
    if you are so sure why don't you back up you statement with some research?
    cheers

I think you are a troll...i've made my point clearly and consisely.

Nothing like the facts to keep the thread on topic, I have disproved the mistaken assumptions of some members by providing haulage industry links,
    In addition I am glad to see that that the industry is taking steps to standardise all European and continental truck operations but it is only now starting to happen...

IRU holds seminars on Digital Tachograph use in non EU AETR countries

In an effort to bring a universal standard to the use of digital tachographs, the International Road Transport Union Academy is holding a number of seminars.

In partnership with IRU Member Associations AITA (CIPTI) and ASMAP UA organised two seminars in Moldova and Ukraine to help both the public and private sectors meet the requirements of the upcoming AETR legislation of Driving and Rest Time Rules by latest 21 September 2010 and the implementation of the Digital Tachograph in non-EU AETR Countries as of 16 June 2010. This latest set of seminars is part of an ongoing process by the IRU to help bring all countries up to a recognised and acceptable transport standard.

http://www.irishtrucker.com/news/iru-holds-seminars-on-digital-tachograph-use-in-non-eu-aetr-countries

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

you have presented nothing in the way of facts to show that my links or point of view is rubbish, you present an opinion, one which the majority of drivers here on boards.ie would disagree with.
    if you are so sure why don't you back up you statement with some research?
    cheers

Every hgv in this country is fitted with a speed limiting device. The truck will not pass the doe each year unless its working and hasnt been tampered with. The guards can check it too. Every truck is fitted with a tachograph which measures a lot of things one being speed. Any guard can see what speed the driver was doing for the last 28 days. You have no notion what your talking about saying you were neck in neck doing 120 kph with trucks.

Nothing like the facts to keep the thread on topic, I have disproved the mistaken assumptions of some members by providing haulage industry links,
    In addition I am glad to see that that the industry is taking steps to standardise all European and continental truck operations but it is only now starting to happen...

IRU holds seminars on Digital Tachograph use in non EU AETR countries

In an effort to bring a universal standard to the use of digital tachographs, the International Road Transport Union Academy is holding a number of seminars.

In partnership with IRU Member Associations AITA (CIPTI) and ASMAP UA organised two seminars in Moldova and Ukraine to help both the public and private sectors meet the requirements of the upcoming AETR legislation of Driving and Rest Time Rules by latest 21 September 2010 and the implementation of the Digital Tachograph in non-EU AETR Countries as of 16 June 2010. This latest set of seminars is part of an ongoing process by the IRU to help bring all countries up to a recognised and acceptable transport standard.

http://www.irishtrucker.com/news/iru-holds-seminars-on-digital-tachograph-use-in-non-eu-aetr-countries

Digital Tachographs have nothing to do with a speed limiter. Irish trucks and the other eu states have limiters fitted by law since 1991.

freighter wrote: »

Every hgv in this country is fitted with a speed limiting device. The truck will not pass the doe each year unless its working and hasnt been tampered with. The guards can check it too. Every truck is fitted with a tachograph which measures a lot of things one being speed. Any guard can see what speed the driver was doing for the last 28 days. You have no notion what your talking about saying you were neck in neck doing 120 kph with trucks.

The simple fact is that not every truck which drives on Irish roads is an Irish truck, read the link above your post, the regulations for a continental standard won't be enforced till next month. meanwhile unregulated (to Irish standards) foreign truckers have been driving as they see fit.

regarding your comment on my notions... how can you be sure?

The simple fact is that not every truck which drives on Irish roads is an Irish truck, read the link above your post, the regulations for a continental standard won't be enforced till next month. meanwhile unregulated (to Irish standards) foreign truckers have been driving as they see fit.

regarding your comment on my notions... how can you be sure?

I am sure because your making everything up as you go along and trying to be smart aswell.

The regulations are for digital tachographs which we have had since early 2006. These have nothing to do with speed limiters. Every truck has them. Anyway this thread is about increasing Motorway speed limits and not trucks. You should start a new thread on trucks and lets keep this thread on topic.

Digital Tachographs have nothing to do with a speed limiter. Irish trucks and the other eu states have limiters fitted by law since 1991.

If that is the case then how is it possible for trucks to break the motorway speed limit?

"The association cannot defend truckers who break the speed limits,Ó Quinn stated. Quinn made his comments in the wake of a National Roads Authority Report, which found speeding is rife in the haulage industry. The report stated that 92 per cent of articulated lorry drivers break the speed limit in built up areas, while more than 80 per cent speed on motorways and 70 per cent break the speed limit on dual-carriageways."

The above quote comes from a haulage industry source and I am getting confused by members who have no links to verify their position.

I am sure because your making everything up as you go along and trying to be smart aswell.

How can I be making things up when I'm quoting from established linked sources?

Three members who dispute my posts supply no links at all, so who is making stuff up?

I think you are a troll...i've made my point clearly and consisely.

I have too. He/she is only looking for an arguement at this stage. Time to mow the lawn..;)

Anyway this thread is about increasing Motorway speed limits and not trucks. You should start a new thread on trucks and lets keep this thread on topic.

+1

This thread is about whether the motorway speed limit should be raised. Whether some truck drivers/operators choose to break the law by disabling their speed limiters should have no bearing on the argument.

Can we get back to the more general topic of whether the speed limit should be increased?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

It might be better having a minimum speed limit on a Motorway. People driving at 40-60 kph are the ones who cause frustration on roads which inturn leads to dangerous risks of overtaking.

And having Garda hiding behind signs on duel carrigage ways or motor ways is a very cynical attempt to generate income. Why not set speed check points in urban areas.

• Advertisement

If that is the case then how is it possible for trucks to break the motorway speed limit?

".

Its very possible...you tamper with the limiter..this can be done (im told ) with a magnet or in some case by turning off the ignition. The point is that it is ILLEGAL and nothing to do with cause and effect of raising the speed limit. The example you quoted from the UK would not have been made worse had the speed limit been higher because the truck shouldnt be capble of more than 90k unless it was being driven illegally , in which case it wouldnt matter a FF what the speed limit is!

Advertisement