Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookmakers Bitch/Moan/Groan thread - See mod warning Post 1!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

So every couple of weeks or so, when I log in to PaddyPower, they randomly announce that I'm accessing from the USA and therefore the front door closes temporarily.

This would of course be fine if I'm chilling out with a hot americano in central perk, playing telecasters down in the five n'dime stores on frisco's Mission St, or having a lucky dip in Vegas. Thing is only ever access from (private connection) in Ireland, and whatsmyip address pings show this also to be the case. Did the clear cache and multiple browser test, but still persists until emails are sent. Never use the app (don't like it), just the desktop site from a single laptop.

Any explanation?

The only thing can think of is:
    a) someone 'junior' presumes I'm a yankie doodle, as do well on the late evening us-baseball/basketball/nfl markets.
    b) someone across the pond has logged in / or attempted to login with my username (re: the 2010 reported 650,000 user data breach). They don't show last login time/dates (including attempts) unlike other similar services, which would be a good idea for user security.

Anyone ever experience this scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ancapallliath

EOB32 wrote: »
    What should happen here.. Put an accumulator on in shop. Last leg was Treviso +26 which i saw on coupon. Arrive to collect told sorry the correct line was 25. As a 'goodwill gesture' we will void that part of bet. Surely this isn't right? Why did they take bet if the line on coupon was incorrect and never checked before taking bet.

what price did you get?
    I find it odd that they claim palp error on a 1 point difference in handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

What should happen here.. Put an accumulator on in shop. Last leg was Treviso +26 which i saw on coupon. Arrive to collect told sorry the correct line was 25. As a 'goodwill gesture' we will void that part of bet. Surely this isn't right? Why did they take bet if the line on coupon was incorrect and never checked before taking bet.

Coupons should be filled in not used as odds checker. It says at the bottom subject to change.

ArtyC wrote: »
    Coupons should be filled in not used as odds checker. It says at the bottom subject to change.

difference between odds change and changing the handicap line surely?
    bookies will chance their arm to avoid winning bets no matter how big or small.

Paddys were 10/11 with line set to 28 so dont know why they would all of a sudden change from 26 to 25

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EOB32

Paddys were 10/11 with line set to 28 so dont know why they would all of a sudden change from 26 to 25

This is where I'm coming from, what's stopping them pulling a fast one here? It's the principle that annoys me. A 'goodwill gesture' to void it ffs

• Advertisement

This is where I'm coming from, what's stopping them pulling a fast one here? It's the principle that annoys me. A 'goodwill gesture' to void it ffs

bookies hold majority of the cards so can rule how they feel fit.
    if all else fail they claim palpable error

on a few occasions some bookies tried to do me on horse race accas on rule 4's etc.
    its easy to argue by looking at BHA etc for times of non runners and claiming markets were reformed but in other sports its hard to argue.

however they only voided that portion of the acca and paid out on all remaining winners?
    maybe in this instance they are being genuine?
    why not void the whole acca and give just your stake back if they really did not want to pay full winnings?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭EOB32

on a few occasions some bookies tried to do me on horse race accas on rule 4's etc.
    its easy to argue by looking at BHA etc for times of non runners and claiming markets were reformed but in other sports its hard to argue.

however they only voided that portion of the acca and paid out on all remaining winners?
    why not void the whole acca and give just your stake back if they really did not want to pay full winnings?

I never really bet in shops but won't be doing it again anyway. I was under the impression they are supposed to check this stuff. If for example the handicap changed and your selection came in by 1 point, you would tear up the betslip and have no idea it was a winner.

On the other hand, if they were clued in and told me of the change more then likely would have taken Treviso +25 and lost so guess it could have been worse

I never really bet in shops but won't be doing it again anyway. I was under the impression they are supposed to check this stuff. If for example the handicap changed and your selection came in by 1 point, you would tear up the betslip and have no idea it was a winner.

On the other hand, if they were clued in and told me of the change more then likely would have taken Treviso +25 and lost so guess it could have been worse

i think this one has to be take on the chin.

i havent stepped foot in a shop in years. i have a number of online accounts so just use them as less problems like this.
    although going to the shops i miss out on bets like my brother spotted one day. one shop had winning distances of under 13 lengths and other shop had winning distances of over 11. couldnt lose. as it turned out went to the last race with a chance of both winning but ended over 13 hahaha

its easy to argue by looking at BHA etc for times of non runners and claiming markets were reformed but in other sports its hard to argue

why not void the whole acca and give just your stake back if they really did not want to pay full winnings?[/QUO

Do you understand what a rule 4 is? Bookies tried to do me? Seriously

No more than horse when money is put on the handicap changes to an even as possible price. Therefore they change the handicap more often in these games. Unlike a horse race where the price changes. Check your bets-- the cashier can't check every tiny thing on bets as more often than not people want/ need to be served quickly in order to get everyones bets on in time

• Advertisement

its easy to argue by looking at BHA etc for times of non runners and claiming markets were reformed but in other sports its hard to argue

why not void the whole acca and give just your stake back if they really did not want to pay full winnings?[/QUO

Do you understand what a rule 4 is? Bookies tried to do me? Seriously

Haha I do. Do you understand placing bets on reformed markets are nr's are declared? No rule 4s should apply to reformed markets unless there are further nr's. Seriously!

Did it say it was a new book? You should enquire before placing the bet. A new book is not done straight away, or always done. Maybe if you can't handle the rules of racing, you should knock it on the head. I say this because bookies do not do you out of money.... Errors can be made on both sides and easily sorted... But if you feel like you're being swindled you shouldn't go into bookies

Did it say it was a new book? You should enquire before placing the bet. A new book is not done straight away, or always done. Maybe if you can't handle the rules of racing, you should knock it on the head. I say this because bookies do not do you out of money.... Errors can be made on both sides and easily sorted... But if you feel like you're being swindled you shouldn't go into bookies

of course it was a new market. I waited until the markets reformed before placing the bets. i have been gambling years and understand the rules fairly well.

now, before jumping down my throat again, I said they tried to do me out of money. TRIED
    I argued my point and won and got full pay out on 3 occasions, this despite my inability to "handle the rules of racing".

I wouldn't argue if I felt I was in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Bookies always try and do you out of money. Its us against them. On numerous occasions Ive gone in to collect winning soccer accum bets to be told 'the odds on one or two selections went lower etc'.. They never tell you if they went higher and give u more.. Has anyone ever gone in to collect and instead of collecting say €500 on ur bet the pleasant staff say 'odds changed heres €550' Never

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I find it odd that they claim palp error on a 1 point difference in handicap

Where did they claim palp? This was a price/line change.

It is quite clearly displayed in their rules to be fair:

Paddy Power advertises prices on Coupons, in the press and various other locations. These are guide prices only and therefore subject to fluctuation. Where there has been a small change in price (or handicap and point values where applicable), Paddy Power may elect to use the Coupon values for the settlement of bets. Unless Paddy Power elects to do this, the bets will be settled at the valid price (and handicap and point values where applicable) at the time.

https://support.paddypower.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/398/kw/price/p/6

Yeah the cashier/bookie is doing you out if money.....grow up... If there was an error on your bet due to a computer fault, they fixed it for you, you argued probably on and on while they just checked up results.

And yeah people have got more money than expected due to price changes. This I know for a fact. Including a woman who had done her lotto numbers twice because she forgot she had done them, also with price changes etc

Maybe you should change your bookie... I'm sure you were quick to jump down the throat of the poor poor cashier getting an hourly wage..

Also: "gambling for years" you're obviously very good at it. 😂😂😂😂😂 Good luck

Yeah the cashier/bookie is doing you out if money.....grow up... If there was an error on your bet due to a computer fault, they fixed it for you, you argued probably on and on while they just checked up results.

And yeah people have got more money than expected due to price changes. This I know for a fact. Including a woman who had done her lotto numbers twice because she forgot she had done them, also with price changes etc

Maybe you should change your bookie... I'm sure you were quick to jump down the throat of the poor poor cashier getting an hourly wage..

could you please be more constructive with your responses so we can determine who exactly your are arguing with?
    Point 1 is directed at me, Point 2 should not be directed at me, but I am unsure of who Point 3 is directed at.

So I will only respond to your first point until you have clarified your responses.

Please dont presume you know me or you know of my discussions with the cashier. I can assume that you, as have I, have seen enough heated arguments in a bookies shop to come to this conclusion so this is understandable.
    however, I am too long in the tooth and realise you get nowhere by shouting.
    I asked why the payout was less. cashier checked the system and said it was correct. I got my docket back and researched the times of the nr's in the race and showed this to the cashier. manager investigated and said there was an issue on their system and paid me out accordingly. no raised voices no heated arguement, i just argued my case.

Also: "gambling for years" you're obviously very good at it. 😂😂😂😂😂 Good luck

you do realise that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit?

Yes I would love to be better at gambling but hold my own.
    I dont bet big but do so for the thrill and would admittedly enjoy more winnings than I am used to

So there was an issue with their system and they sorted you. Bit different from they tried to do me out of money.

• Advertisement

So there was an issue with their system and they sorted you. Bit different from they tried to do me out of money.

they try to do someone out of money when they refuse to pay out and also refuse to accept that there is something wrong with their system until proof was provided.
    If i was not sure that I placed bets on a reformed market they would have saved money and doing me out of money in the process

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Replies are getting too personal here folks, back on-topic and keep it constructive please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

Saturday morning I flicking through bets on the PGA.

I noticed over 34 players to finish under par was 9/4. This stage there was 48 after 2 rounds and storms forecast. I was like great value here.

Low and behold it romped home. Weather wasn't as bad as expected after from the Saturday afternoon but no play possible.

Check my bets this morning and settled at 1/5.

Before I get on the phone to them why do they think it's ok to offer a price and then change it after the event.

If priced wrong I've no issue contacting me straight away about it but not 2 days later when the bet comes in.

Could only get xxx on it as if I put more I was getting asked to refer it.

I think they backed the weather been bad and scores to go high and wasn't the case so welching on the bet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I'm guessing online and so should be paid at the original price as they had ample time to change price if they needed to.
    You also have the bet slip with the price on it.
    A problem you may have is the usual "price was incorrect due to xyz reasons" and then you are in the lap of the "bookie gods".
    If you don't get sorted to your satisfaction, you can always go to IBAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭zimmermania

I placed a bet on Mondialist yesterday to win the Arlingon Million,the docket was stamped and I was given back my copy of the slip.
    Before I left the counter I asked if there were early prices for Arlington the guy behind the counter (whom I know well) informed me that they were not betting on Arlington and gave me back the €20 I had bet.

I watched Mondialist win a thriller at 11 19 at odds of 13/1 and was left rueing the fact that pp were not betting on the event for some legal? reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Bit disappointment to see BetBright 'forgot to update their prices' - on a major live golf event (Aussie PGA R1), advertised very good prices across OC, and on their site all day yesterday, right up until late this morning. But then emailed today around 12noon to say the prices are all now incorrect so will be either void or greatly reduced. They only allowed a 2.5hr window to choose whether to void or accept the new prices.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Boyles today had one of their usual shop bets up "name a winner at each of today's 6 Horse Race meetings Irish & UK".
    Wouldn't normally look at these but just checked the shortest priced horse at each of the 6 meetings and accum price worked out at over 100/1 using their prices.
    They had the "special" up at 40/1 :eek: and with the t&c "Prices not guaranteed"!
    Cashier couldn't explain why it was at 40/1.
    Price would have been even bigger if you took a bigger priced horse.
    Appalling stuff but no doubt there are people who back these so called "specials".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I know that feeling, Sky currently offer a Hamilton/Vettel dual forecast for the Japanese GP @5/6...but Bwin offer 11/4. They pulled the same trick last weekend with Vettel to win & Hamilton to retire @40/1, but Betway offered 135.5/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭zimmermania

I was in a Ladbrokes office on Friday having a bet on a race in Dundalk,what caught my eye was 1/4 1,2,3,4 on the top of the small box where early prices and results are displayed.

As a regular punter I know the maximum number of runners in any rade at Dundalk is 14,i have seen a situation like this several times (in PP the prefix res is before the names of 3 horses).

Knowing well that Lads were not paying 4 places in the race I approached a young man inside the counter and asked if they were paying an extra place in the particular race.

He called the girl in charge and she said yes they were paying 4 places in the race as it was a handicap,when I pointed out that there cannot be more than 14 runners in any race at the venue she just shrugged and suggested I email or phone their head office.

I wonder how many punters placed bets thinking they were getting 4 places and is this a case of false advertising?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,908 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Did you notice if the reserves were priced up?

Advertisement