Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does advertising affect what you buy?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Good slogan, but I can't figure out what cheese you're advertising.

ohhhhhhhh good one , very original :)

and just for the record , im only into my macbook pro's.not into the i phones etc, i dont see the point , if you want to go on the net , go on a computer . a phone is for ringing people and getting in contact with people :)

theres another slogan for you

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

alex73 wrote: »

internet for user reviews
    , like on boards.ie or other blogs?? Companies have long tapped into them, do you honestly not think they also post their reviews (AKA ADVERTISING!).
    They do post their own reviews but they're quite often easy to spot. I also give more weight to bad reviews to see if the bad stuff is trivial or fundamental problems. For the most part you just have to control yourself and buy the product that you need not the one that seems like the coolest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

walmart... gotta be from walmart... this isn't walmart... who's on second base...

Edit...

In all seriousness... i go for what i think is worth it.

There's a local butchers in Blanch that i get meat in regularly because I feel the deals they do are worth it.

Brand awareness... I got an Archos MP3 player when they were a budget brand... before everyone thought shít we need to compete with Apple...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I work in advertising. One of our blue chip clients targets people who are interested in speed and value, people who are unfussy, people who think a lot of themselves and think that other people are insecure and pathetic because of what they were and will only buy clothes that makes them look good. It works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Coke not never

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I work in advertising... etc... It works.

lucky for you there's 1 born every second ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I have RTE 1 and 2 and mute the ad's and look away when they are on on the odd occasion I watch TV.
    Mmmhmm, the odd time I watch TV, I'm a channel-surfer, I can't believe people actually sit and stare at ads voluntarily. Whether you think it works or not, what they think they're doing is what I find a bit unsettling.

There's no getting away from it though, even if you buy everything on DVD, you still have the product placements. Like Transporter 2, where you watch an entire film about an Audi car and the amazing physics-defying things it can do and the tough sexy people who drive it. :rolleyes: (shít film as well btw, don't see it)
    Unfortunately advertising standards are asleep at the wheel when it comes to stuff like this... they seem to have free reign to repeatedly expose you to whatever bullshít they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Damn your super cool, suave persona Mr. Cantona!

L'Oreal are makin' a mint off me! :D

lucky for you there's 1 born every second ;)

How much is your gym membership? That was the last project I worked on. Convincing people to pay through the nose to drive to a building to run on an electric moving footpath.

Don't get me wrong, I don't see anything wrong with Gyms. But people do fall for advertising, even if they don't realise it.

As I said, it worked. And yep, there is one born every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I love nothing better than to peruse DealExtreme, looking for silly little things to buy. I do of course buy brand name products but it depends on what I'm buying.

• Advertisement

How much is your gym membership? That was the last project I worked on. Convincing people to pay through the nose to drive to a building to run on an electric moving footpath.

Don't get me wrong, I don't see anything wrong with Gyms. But people do fall for advertising, even if they don't realise it.

As I said, it worked. And yep, there is one born every day.

€210 a year.

but havent been able to go as much earlier in the year due to a few injuries and some fatigue.

Not driving btw... public transport or walking with me... also... cant afford nor do i have room to put alot of the gear in there in my apartment ;)

Im just too lazy to keep updating that journal...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

Don Draper FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Mmmhmm, the odd time I watch TV, I'm a channel-surfer, I can't believe people actually sit and stare at ads voluntarily. Whether you think it works or not, what they think they're doing is what I find a bit unsettling.

There's no getting away from it though, even if you buy everything on DVD, you still have the product placements. Like Transporter 2, where you watch an entire film about an Audi car and the amazing physics-defying things it can do and the tough sexy people who drive it. :rolleyes: (shít film as well btw, don't see it)
    Unfortunately advertising standards are asleep at the wheel when it comes to stuff like this... they seem to have free reign to repeatedly expose you to whatever bullshít they want.

Yeh but it's easy to be impervious to it. The consumer controls how much of this dross they allow themselves absorb. As for films, if I see a fancy car in a or someone drinking a can of branded cola, it makes no difference to me, I'm not going to want that car because I saw it in a film and I don't like cola.....I totally ignore it. Its easy! I just choose not to be obedient and easily led.

I don't see much advertising which obviously is a growing trend in people and infuriates maketers/advertisers. heheh yay! Suckers of satans c0ck that they are! :D Bill Hicks had that much right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

I cant believe nobody said Wi-Max!

I dont even have it but that super catchy jingle really makes me want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Apologies for the muppet at the start of this, but fast forward to 28 secs and have a listen to the lyrics!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Yes and no! I like my expensive taste in River Island but like my cheap lovely stuff from pennys that is just as good and fashionable and more comfortable! Along with my other brand of stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

NothingMan wrote: »
    Depends. I get 99% of my food in Aldi and don't care what brand,
    So while I wouldn't rule out that I am subconsciously affected by ads, it certainly wouldn't be obvious at a glance to me or anyone else.

Excluding Aldi ads.

I don't see much advertising which obviously is a growing trend in people and infuriates maketers/advertisers. heheh yay! Suckers of satans c0ck that they are!

From an ad man to a consumer, thanks for signing up to boards.ie, you're chat and posts make a difference to the advertisers. You are a marketers dream and you don't know it. Wipe your mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

As for films, if I see a fancy car in a or someone drinking a can of branded cola, it makes no difference to me
    It breaks the immersion for me, if I see some conspicuous product placement, my first thought is "oh, there's a product placement... nice... I wonder how much they paid to have that in the movie". The appearances of products/brands in films are never just happy accidents... as far as I'm concerned they might as well just stop the film and play an ad... the only difference is half the time you don't realize you're watching an ad.
    I'm not going to want that car because I saw it in a film and I don't like cola.....I totally ignore it. Its easy! I just choose not to be obedient and easily led.
    It's the things you don't choose though... and the shít they're trying to do is very creepy.
    I found this whole program very creepy yet fascinating:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/persuaders/ (click 'Watch full program online')

Again... whether it works or not... the cold, calculated, attempts at emotional manipulation depress me.
    I don't put it past any company to employ all the dirty tricks they can legally get away with... nor do I underestimate the amount of research they're basing these tactics on.

I read a design book recently that covered cognitive dissonance and classical conditioning and when to use them in your advertising designs!

So who are they doing this for? The small percentage of stupid, easily-led people that "aren't me"? Everyone thinks that, which is why nobody cares... it's beautiful in a way... using our own arrogance against us.
    And even if it is only dumb people who are influenced by advertising... does that make psychological manipulation fair?
    Why should someone have a bias towards one brand over another which isn't based on merit, but on something completely irrational?
    I find it dishonest, creepy and depressing.
    I don't see much advertising which obviously is a growing trend in people and infuriates maketers/advertisers.
    Don't worry, "social media" is already the latest marketing buzzword.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Everyone is affected by advertising.

And anyone who says they arent are most likely being affected more than most others because they're in denial about its effects.

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    And anyone who says they arent are most likely being affected more than most others because they're in denial about its effects.

So true. Those who know and admit they are are more likely to read, look, listen and understand the ad for what it is. They will also get better deals by looking at what is on sale for what price. They are also the ones that avail of the best promotions, Supervalu breaks for example. Holidays for half nothing. Literally massive money off holidays. Cheap thrills actually turns her head, lowers the station, edits out newspaper ads....! Ludicrous to be honest, nuts if you want good deals these days. Can't wait till she goes to buy a car, get lease on premises, buy a house, start a business whilst shunning all forms of advertising.

So true. Those who know and admit they are are more likely to read, look, listen and understand the ad for what it is. They will also get better deals by looking at what is on sale for what price.

I don't care about better deals. All the choice bores me, that's why I'd rather go to a smaller, more expensive convenience store and pick the cheapest thing there, queue for a shorter time and get out than go into a Supermarket and be subjected to the brain rape of advertising there.
    They are also the ones that avail of the best promotions, Supervalu breaks for example. Holidays for half nothing. Literally massive money off holidays. Cheap thrills actually turns her head, lowers the station, edits out newspaper ads....! Ludicrous to be honest, nuts if you want good deals these days.

Can't wait till she goes to buy a car, get lease on premises, buy a house, start a business whilst shunning all forms of advertising.

I'm on my second house, low mortgage, tracker. I will never buy a new car because it's bad value and I've got a close family member in the trade who does that legwork for me. Good value and no boring, mind numbing research required.

You see more important to me than value or even speed is that as little of my attention as possible is dedicated to routine everyday crap like choosing food/clothes/consumer goods. I buy only what I need, in a very short time frame. I can't be lured by shiny gadgets because I simply don't care and am not motivated by keeping up with the Joneses etc.

You say I'm an advertisers dream, I doubt it seeing as I spend fcuk all time/energy on it. I am happy with what I have. I don't have that fear that I am missing out/left behind that you need to have to be suckered into buying sh!t you don't need.

I'm just not materialistic! :P

It breaks the immersion for me, if I see some conspicuous product placement, my first thought is "oh, there's a product placement... nice... I wonder how much they paid to have that in the movie". The appearances of products/brands in films are never just happy accidents... as far as I'm concerned they might as well just stop the film and play an ad... the only difference is half the time you don't realize you're watching an ad.

Hmm, doesn't break it for me. But would you then go on to buy the crap displayed? To be frank I wouldn't even notice it...
    It's the things you don't choose though... and the shít they're trying to do is very creepy.
    I found this whole program very creepy yet fascinating:
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/persuaders/ (click 'Watch full program online')

Again... whether it works or not... the cold, calculated, attempts at emotional manipulation depress me.
    I don't put it past any company to employ all the dirty tricks they can legally get away with... nor do I underestimate the amount of research they're basing these tactics on.

I read a design book recently that covered cognitive dissonance and classical conditioning and when to use them in your advertising designs!

So who are they doing this for? The small percentage of stupid, easily-led people that "aren't me"? Everyone thinks that, which is why nobody cares... it's beautiful in a way... using our own arrogance against us.
    And even if it is only dumb people who are influenced by advertising... does that make psychological manipulation fair?
    Why should someone have a bias towards one brand over another which isn't based on merit, but on something completely irrational?
    I find it dishonest, creepy and depressing.

Yeh, but only if you actually look at the ad's, if you don't see them then you're free. How can they force their message on the likes of me when I won't look?
    Don't worry, "social media" is already the latest marketing buzzword.

Whats that then?
    Facebook and all that crap? I rarely use it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'd say most people think they're not affected, but they are subconsciously.

I'm on my second house, low mortgage, tracker.

I remember when these were advertised. You were dead right to go for one.
    Whats that then?
    Facebook and all that crap? I rarely use it....

Forums. Like this one.
    I will never buy a new car because it's bad value and I've got a close family member in the trade who does that legwork for me

By looking at car adverts. Lucky you have people to do this for you. I hope they don't rip you off, cause you are a soft target if you don't check prices for yourself. You could end up paying the same for a second hand car as you would for a new car if you leave someone else to do the legwork.

Would you advertise yourself if you set up a business?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Hector Mildew

I really notice "reverse advertising" where they cover or blur out product logos on tv. Draws more attention to products if anything.

What about clothes which are really adverts? You know, t shirts with a prominent logos or slogans emblazoned all over. People should be payed to wear these or at least get them for free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I will only buy a good brand if spending more than a few hundred euro. For food and all other cheap things I am not bothered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

Dudess wrote: »
    I'd say most people think they're not affected, but they are subconsciously.

i agree

i buy the good brand cloths because they feel alot better and fit alot better rather than the cheap cloths from say the likes of pennys et !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Excluding Aldi ads.

Well if it was a Lidl across the road from my apartment then I'd be doing 99% of my shopping there but that's almost 5 mins away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

My heart says no but my iPad says yes.

Advertisement